The Road Back
For more information see: The Road Back
When Appa Ali Apsa is kidnapping whole cities from his past, Tomar Tu's city is captured. He is one of the Xudarians that venture out and runs into a couple of Earthlings from Hope Springs whom have also been taken. Confused and scared the Earthlings attack Tomar Tu and his fellow explorers. Luckily Hal Jordan is near by and comes to investigate. Recognizing Tomar Tu's race he uses his ring to translate and discovers that the Xudarian city has been captured and placed within walking distance of Hope Springs. After Hal leaves to investigate, Rose Hardin, one of Hal's friends offers to feed and tend to Tomar Tu's wounds.
Later Hal has a plan to escape Appa Ali Apsa's Mosaic World and asks Tomar Tu for help. Tomar Tu's part of the plan is to get as many of his people together and aide Hal later when the Guardians of the Universe arrive to stop Appa Ali Apsa. Tomar Tu's action help save Oa and possibly the Universe.
Eclipso- The Darkness Within
For more information see: Eclipso: The Darkness Within
While training with Boodikka, Kreon, Aa and Kilowog, Tomar Tu is there when Amanita notices somethings wrong. So at the suggestion of John Stewart the Green Lanterns fly to earth. Tomar Tu is among the group of Green Lanterns that arrive on earth and try to stop Star Sapphire. When the Eclipso possessed Hal Jordon arrives Tomar Tu is one of the Lanterns who continues to fight Star Sapphire, even up to the point that Eclipso forces Hal and Star to apparently destroy each other.
Tomar Tu was a respected Green Lantern who attempted to stop the rampage of a Parallax-possessed Hal Jordan. Tomar Tu was beaten and left for dead. He and the other Green Lanterns Hal Jordan defeated and abandoned became known as the Lost Lanterns. Tomar Tu was taken captive by the Manhunters and their Grandmaster, the Cyborg Superman. Tomar escaped and managed to find the newly reformed Hal Jordan. Hal Jordan and Guy Gardner rescued the other Lost Lanterns.
Sinestro Corps War
Tomar Tu was injured during the Sinestro Corps' attack on Oa. He later went with the other Lost Lanterns to Qward to rescue the Ion entity. During the rescue mission, Tomar came face to face with the keeper of the Book of Parallax, Lyssa Drak. The group of Lanterns managed to free the Ion entity. When the Sinestro Corps attacked Earth, Tomar Tu and a regiment of Green Lanterns aided Hal Jordan and Kyle Rayner in the battle above Coast City.
Tomar Tu grew angry with the Guardians of the Universe after being told that he could not read the whole Book of Oa. He told them that when his father was a Green Lantern, there were no secrets. Tomar went with the other Lost Lanterns to Ke'Hann's planet to deliver his body to his family. When they discovered that Amon Sur had killed Ke'Hann's family, Laira attacked in rage and slaughtered Amon Sur.
War of the Green Lanterns: Aftermath
Tomar Tu meets Kyle Rayner at the rubble of Mogo, and when Kyle is attacked by Miri Riam and teleported away, Tomar follows. Tomar is there when Miri tries to unite Kyle and Soranik Natu back together, and it is Tomar who realizes that Miri is trying to trick them into reuniting.
Later back on Oa, Tomar comes to Kyle's aide when he is being attacked by the Alpha Lanterns for being human. Tomar teleports Kyle away and convinces the other Lanterns to response to the distress call instead of fighting among themselves.
During the temporary alliance between the Green Lanterns and the Sinestro Corps, Tomar Tu is partnered with Fantas-M. On a mission to capture the infamous Xudarian mass murderer and Sinestro Corps fugitive Romat Ru, Tomar executes Romar in a fit of rage after the latter brags that he will always escape prison and kill again. Fantas-M warns Tomar that the burden of murder will weigh on his soul, but pledges to keep her silence. When Romar's ring attempts to fly out into space to find a replacement, Tomar captures it and keeps it imprisoned in a force-field even as it tries to break free.
Bolphunga learns the truth about Romat's death and attempts to leverage it to break free of his imprisonment in a sciencell, telling John Stewart that he has evidence that a Green Lantern murdered one of the Sinestro Corps, knowing that this revelation might shatter the truce between the two armies. While investigating Bolphunga's claims, Hal Jordan finds Tomar bent over with worry and fear, on the verge of collapse from the strain of keeping Romat's ring contained. The Sinestro Corps soon learn of Romat's death, and coupled with Soranik's enraged assault on Kyle Rayner, this spells the end of the alliance and the departure of the Sinestro Corps from Mogo. Tomar is stripped of his ring and imprisoned in a sciencell; his last act as a Green Lantern is a request that his ring select another Xudarian as his replacement - which it does, selecting Somar-Le to join the Green Lanterns.
Later while confined, Tomar admits to Hal that he is relieved to no longer be harboring such a burdensome secret, but that he does not regret killing Romat Ru. This starts an argument, where Hal insists that Tomar was wrong to execute a man who had surrendered, while Tomar counters that Romat would eventually have escaped and killed many more children. The argument ends when one of the new Darkstar suits built by the Controllers breaks into Tomar's cell; presented with the opportunity to dispense lethal justice as a Darkstar, Tomar accepts and escapes from Mogo.
Green Lantern Statistics
- Status: Active
- Space Sector: 2813
- Sector Partner: Dalor
- Home-World: Xudar
- Predecessor: Tomar Re
- Successor: Inapplicable
Powers and Abilities
Tomar Tu wields a Green Lantern Power ring, which gives him several very formidable abilities and tactical resources:
- Emotional Spectrum Green Will Energy Conduit: The rings use pure energy supplied by a Power Battery, which in most cases takes the form of bright green light. This energy is the green light of willpower of the Emotional Electromagnetic Spectrum. A Green Lantern's ring, considered by some to be one of the most powerful weapons in the known universe, has the ability to affect and use fundamental forces of the known universe, including electromagnetic energies such as gravity, radiation, heat, light, and powerful blasts of concussive force. It is also theorized that the ring also has a basis in other dimensional energies commonly called magic by users of such energies. The ring can also create fields of force formed from an unknown energy that is bound by the users' will. The limitations of such use are the skill, knowledge and imagination of the user.
- Energy Projection: The ring can be used to fire blasts of energy or create weapons such as projectiles of them. The ring can project beams of force powered by the will of the user. Their appearance does not indicate the power of the weapon. The weapon's power is more an indication of the will of the user.
- Force Field: The ring can create various force fields of various sizes and shapes to protect the wearer and others in the vicinity. With the cosmic scope of a Green Lantern's duties, it is only natural that the power ring is designed for operation in space. The ring creates a force field around the wearer, protecting them from the hazards of the void including filtration of stellar radiation and microscopic particulate matter which would ordinarily be fatal should the space debris strike the ring wielder at high speeds. An atmosphere appropriate to the ring wielder's biology is created inside the force-field while body temperature is maintained and waste products are removed. Gravitational stresses which could cause injury are stabilized for the ring wielder. Theoretically, a ring wielder could use the ring as their sole source of life support. The force field is created instantaneously whenever needed as part of the ring's automatic defensive system.
- Energy Constructs: The primary function of the power ring is to provide a weapon capable of transforming the wearer's thoughts into physical constructs through the wearer's strength of willpower. A Green Lantern can create any particular items or construct that they can imagine as long as they have the willpower necessary to will it into existence. The constructs exist only as long as a Green Lantern is fueling them with their willpower. Items created by the rings are not indestructible and are only as powerful as the willpower of the Green Lantern creating them. The types of constructs usually reflects the ring wearer's personality.
- Phasing: The power ring allows the wearer to pass through solid objects such as walls, though this is also a function of the ring-bearer's will and not an automatic ability of the ring itself.
- Environmental Playback: Upon request, the power ring can recreate a holographic environment based on data in its memory banks. The ring-bearer can observe events in a ghostlike state, but the cannot alter the outcome of the playback. All objects in the playback will appear in the full spectrum of colors, regardless of the wielder's level of expertise creating simulacra. The power ring will automatically end the playback if outside interference warrants the ring-bearer's undivided attention.
- Invisibility and Light Refraction: A ring-bearer can render themselves invisible by willing the ring to bend light waves around their body. A similar action allows an experienced ring-bearer to create objects of colors other than green, even simulacrums of living people.
- Energy Absorption: The ring can absorb and store other energies. Doing so does not replenish the normal store of energy the ring has. For example: a ring that needs recharging but contained a store of electricity could only discharge that electricity.
- Superhuman Strength: While not super strength of the conventional sense, a Lantern, while using constructs created by the ring, becomes capable of lifting/moving tremendous weights far heavier than they would normally be able to with comparatively little effort.
- Flight: By the manipulation of anti-gravitons and directed molecular movement, the ring allows the user to fly at incredible speeds. In atmosphere, a Green Lantern has been known to fly as fast as Mach 10 in atmosphere by creating an aerodynamic envelope around their body. In space, a Green Lantern's flying ability has been shown to reach velocities far exceeding light speed. In atmospheres, air friction is not a hindrance since heat is either absorbed or reflected by the ring's field.
- Wormholes and Spacial Warps: The power ring grants its bearer access to wormholes in space, enabling a Green Lantern to rapidly cut the time and distance needed to respond to an emergency. Black holes can also be navigated by experienced ring wielders. A Green Lantern can travel through a black hole to be deposited outside a white hole in a far off sector of space.
- Time Travel: Time travel is possible with the power ring, though the further forward in time a ring-bearer travels, the more willpower it takes.
- Limited Cellular Regeneration: A Green Lantern can use their ring to heal physical injuries in their self or others.
- Electromagnetic Scanning: The ring has a wide range of detection abilities based on the imagination of the user. If the ring-bearer can conceive of it, they can probably detect it. Most normal electromagnetic phenomena are within the range of the ring, including radio, radar, television, infrared, ultraviolet, microwave, and high frequency band communications.
- Thought Relay: Otherwise known as a telepathic link, which can be used to coordinate tactics with other Green Lanterns or report of the status of an active mission to a sector partner or other Lantern. The links can also be established with non-Green Lanterns, though it requires more willpower.
- Galactic Encyclopedia: The earlier rings worn by the Corps functioned as references for their bearers. Having the vast knowledge of the Book of Oa to draw upon, each ring functions as a ready reference on most peoples, stellar events and conditions that may have been seen by other rings or other Green Lanterns.
- Universal Translator: The power ring can translate virtually any language in the universe, facilitating diplomatic encounters rather than violent confrontations. Complications arise when a frame of reference for translation is not available, as evidenced during Katma Tui's induction of Rot Lop Fan into the Green Lantern Corps. Katma Tui had the difficult assignment of explaining the concepts of "light" and "color" to the sightless Rot Lop Fan. She overcame this barrier by using sound rather than light as the basis of the ring's power. Some Green Lanterns, such as the planet form known as Mogo, have used the ring to create an intermediary "being" to expedite communication.
- Material Alteration: The Green Lantern's uniform is not made out of fabric. It is created by the power ring whenever the ring-bearer wills to wear it. Most Green Lanterns wear similar uniforms that are programmed into the ring by default. However, each Green Lantern is able to adjust their uniform to fit their own needs, personalities, or whims. The green parts of the wearer's uniform are usually very warm or hot to those who touch it, while the black parts are very cold. The uniform also produces a "siren" taking on the form of the Green Lantern Corps' symbol, circling the Green Lantern when active. The symbol, or badge, will not appear on the uniform until after a newly inducted Lantern has completed training on Oa, leading to the term "White-Circle" to describe a rookie Lantern.
- Ring Duplication: A power ring is capable of duplicating themselves. Each duplicate shares the qualities and capabilities of the original ring. The duplicate rings are subject to over-ride control by the original ring-bearer, and take a significant expenditure of energy to create.
- Emergency Beacon: A Green Lantern in distress can use their power ring as an emergency beacon. The alert can be directed to a Green Lantern's neighboring sector, or it can be a Corps-wide alert.
- Homing Beacon: A homing beacon in the power ring can lead one Green Lantern to another. Though a power ring can be ordered to disguise itself to elude power ring wielding trackers.
- Mind Alteration: Though the ethics of mind tampering may be debatable, sometimes it is deemed necessary. As the power ring relies on thought and will to operate, mind tampering is not impossible. The real difficulty lies in properly applying the power. There lies a risk of severe damage to the mind where alterations are being attempted should mistakes be made. A ring-bearer can use the power ring to erase portions of an individual's memories. Green Lanterns have used mind techniques as part of training. New recruits may be subjected to mind scans by other Green Lanterns or the Guardians of the Universe. They are taught to build mental defenses to protect themselves from mental attack. The power ring can also be used to beam information from the ring wielder to another being. Green Lanterns have used this technique to share information regarding their enemies during combat situations.
- Pocket Dimension: A ring-bearer can use their ring to create a small extra-dimensional holding space in which they can store their power battery for ease of retrieval. These pocket dimensions can be accessed from any location.
- Security Protocol: The rings can be programmed. They are coded to the wearer to make them unusable if stolen. The ring will refuse to take an action that would kill a being unless they are on Oa or have obtained permission. The Guardians recently removed the lethal force prohibition, first to allow lethal force against members of the Sinestro Corps, then against all enemies of the Green Lantern Corps.
- Preset Conditions: Commands can be stored in the ring to be executed at a later date even if the bearer is not wearing the ring.