Follow

Tom Taylor

Person » Tom Taylor is credited in 846 issues.

Writer for Dark Horse, DC and Marvel

Tom Taylor Talks Injustice 2 Comic & Explores Events In Between The Games

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Injustice 2 is headed to a game console near you this May. Last year, it was announced that Tom Taylor--who wrote the majority of the original Injustice: Gods Among Us comic series-- would be writing a new comic series before the game's release. Taylor wrote the majority of the original Injustice: Gods Among Us comic series. The upcoming comic takes place in between the two games, and we took the opportunity to talk to Taylor to find out what we can expect.

The new series debuts on April 11 digitally, and the first print issue goes on sale May 3.

Injustice 2 #1 variant cover by Bruno Redondo.
    Injustice 2 #1 variant cover by Bruno Redondo.

Comic Vine: Where does your story pick up in relation to the first game and comic series?

Tom Taylor: Injustice 2 begins soon after the first game. Superman and his regime are in prison. The world is reeling. Batman is picking up the pieces. And a big threat is growing. The world will soon be in so much peril that Emperor Superman would look like a safe option.

Who can Batman turn to for help in fighting evil?

We don't want to spoil too much, but he still has some allies. Harley Quinn is there for one. And, if you've seen some of the recent announcements, then you'll know there are characters like Black Canary and Blue Beetle who will have large roles to play. There are also a lot of other heroes who haven't been seen in the comics or the game yet.

Can Superman really be kept locked up?

That's a very good question. Superman is not an easy force to contain, and there are still people out there on his side. You'll find out the answer very soon.

Can you tell us anything about the new Suicide Squad we'll see?

This is a larger Suicide Squad than we've seen before. And, after a familiar set-up, something happens early on that turns the very concept of the Suicide Squad on its head. This Suicide Squad is more formidable than anything we’ve seen before.

No Caption Provided

How closely do you work with NetherRealm and Ed Boon in mapping out your stories?

We're building one big crossover universe here. One continuity (with, admittedly, a couple of small changes for the game). I was sent the game script early on to work out how to play off it and build towards it, just like with Injustice: Gods Among Us. And so much of what we did in the first comic series has informed the second game.

The second comic series is a really big, ongoing story, so I had to come up with a long game plot with some big shocks and turns to explain where the characters are at when we see them in Injustice 2. Ed Boon and I met in San Diego last year, and I let him know some of my early ideas and twists, including something we'll see early on with the Suicide Squad. He grinned ear-to-ear when he heard it.

Editor Jim Chadwick and I also keep in constant contact with Shawn Kittelsen, one of the main writers of the game. Shawn, Dominic Cianciolo, and the other writers have done such a great job with Injustice 2. I can’t wait to play the story mode. Shawn is always excited by what we're planning, and any time I come up with something that’s too 'out there,' he generally says to go for it and (jokingly) says they’ll just have to find a way to incorporate it in Injustice 3.

The comics and the games are like different chapters of the same massive story. I don’t think any of us knew going in what a collaborative universe we’d end up building together.

What are you most excited about with this project?

I'm just excited to be back in this universe, and working with Jim Chadwick, Bruno Redondo, Mike S Miller, Rex Lokus, and everyone at NetherRealm Studios again. I had to leave to work on my TV series, The Deep, and that's still going, and doing well, but I never wanted to go. I love these characters and the freedom we have here in our very own DC Universe. We can tell the most shocking or ridiculous or funny or emotional stories without restraint. As a writer, there’s nothing more exciting than that.

Injustice 2 #1 goes on sale April 11 online and in stores on May 3. Injustice 2, the video game, is on sale May 16.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This sounds awesome. I am happy that Taylor is back.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Is it fair to say that injustice is the best comic book/video game of all time?

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@d9000: Well it has the best storyline of any fighting game, so far.

Avatar image for deactivated-1351355
    deactivated-1351355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Awesome.

Avatar image for darkscorpion_omega
    darkscorpion_omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Why I am interested in this , wasn't Injustice 2's Universe destroyed and not restored during Convergence?

Tomkatie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to know where The Flash will fit into this. He was Regime last game, but switched to Insurgency at the end. I really hope he fights alongside Batman in this game!

QuietDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By QuietDork

Tom Taylor is definitely brilliant. Bravo. www.quietdork.com

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, didn't he move Black Canary to a different universe where Oliver was still alive?

Why would she come back?

Cagnazzo82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Injustice goes back to being more about Batman vs Superman etc...

...Rather than another Harley book. There's been half a year of Harley, and it got monotonous for me.

Looking forward to the game itself, however.

Avatar image for manmadeofketchup
    ManMadeOfKetchup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about the Earth the good Superman and them came from? Will they be involved again? Or is it strictly Injustice's Earth

hutalipag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hutalipag

BRAKING NEWS: my buddy’s sister makes $70 /hour on the computer . She has been out of a job for 8 months but last month her paycheck was $14224 just working on the computer for a few hours.check my source +_+_+_+

_+_+_+_+_+_+_+MORE INFO> http://www.jobocean3.com

knightfall44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

need to finish injustice comics, love his storytelling but wish the volumes were larger

ryansz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave I don't know how it's explained as I just started the game, but it seems like both Canary and Arrow came back to the Injustice universe to help Batman manage the issues on Earth while they attempt to rebuild.

Unfortunately, while I love the game so far it seems like the number of continuity errors are growing by the cutscene. The big one I saw was the battle at Arkham from the comics, where Damian accidentally killed Nightwing, easily one of the most emotional scenes of the entire comic run. In the game it's a flashback and Nightwing isn't involved at all and Damian joins Superman after Damian slits Mr. Zsasz's throat, which is another issue as Zsasz killed Alfred in the comics.

I'm hoping that there is more explanation in the comics for some of these things, but it is kind of irksome seeing it especially after the first series and first game meshed so well together.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.