Titans #1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Dan Abnett and Brett Booth have a tricky task to take on. When the New 52 reboot happened back in 2011, some characters had changes made to their history. With DC Universe: Rebirth, we know that the previous continuity still exists in a way. The characters are somehow the same as they were before. They're just living life with a portion of their past experiences missing. That's where it gets really tricky. These characters are pretty much coming from different places, but if we're talking about beings from beyond being able to rewrite a universe's entire timeline, we can accept what's happening.

By know it should be known how important this title can and will be. It was the original Wally West that managed to figure out what was going on. He's the only person that remembers what happened before. It's up to him to try to fix or change things. When confronting those closest to him, they have no idea who he is. The tension rises as the other Titans come across him and perceive him as a threat. If you read Abnett's Titans Hunt, you know they have an idea things have been manipulated. With Wally in this book, this could be where we get a lot of answers about why the timeline and universe was really altered.

Brett Booth and Norm Rapmund's art works here. They capture the action and intensity of the Titans coming together to confront Wally. Seeing the characters' present day appearances with the flashbacks is a cool thing. Andrew Dalhouse's colors adds to the vibe of the story. There's a nice mix of action with a great mix in the panel layout during the conversation portions.

As this is the Rebirth title before the first issue arrives next month, there is some set up. The book is accessible to those that didn't read Titans Hunt and even DC Universe: Rebirth. We get some great moments, but it's not too difficult to figure out how this issue has to play out before the series begins. There is a bit of a nostalgia factor. Those not invested in the original Titans might not feel the emotional tie or importance of the interactions here. Even if that's the case, the fact that this is following the events of DC Universe: Rebirth and Flash: Rebirth should be reason enough to check it out.

When the New 52 started, we saw many changes. Some of the changes were good and others bad. Rebirth is giving us a chance to see the return of certain elements without erasing or rewriting everyone's histories once again. Fans of the original Titans and Wally West will be overjoyed to see how the events unfold. Dan Abnett is continuing the seeds he started planting in Titans Hunt. Brett Booth, Norm Rapmund, and Andrew Dalhouse crank out the action scenes and spice up the quieter moments as well. This book has the potential to be one of the most important titles in the post-Rebirth DCU. You won't want to miss out on this. Just a warning, you might find yourself compelled to get out of your seat to cheer as the Titans are reunited once again.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By apokos7

This issue was great and I loved it. Having Wally interact with the whole team and giving them part of their memories back was very emotional. I'm going to give the spot for my favorite book of the week though to the other Dan Abnett book, Justice League 51 since that won't get much attention due to it being a pre-Rebirth title. He set up elements that will play out in the Titans book and I can't wait to know more about Bron Wox. I've always loved the Coluans.

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
    knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@apokos7: I was pleasantly surprised by Justice League 51. I didn't expect a lot coming from one issue, but the way that it tied into Titans Hunt was very good

This issue was amazing as well, it was practically the sole reason why I made the drive to the comic store today

Avatar image for nightwing_beyond
    Nightwing_Beyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

Being a die-hard fan of all the Titans teams, this return to the original titans team was immensely satisfying for me. I'm glad action took a back seat in this issue and instead focused completely on the long awaited reunion between the Titans. Dan Abnet really nails the emotional beats and personalities of the characters which I felt was a little off in his early Titans Hunt issues. Brett Booth is also in top form with all the new character designs and kinetic panels. I'd recommend reading Justice League 51 first since it feeds right into Titans and lays some threads that will likely come up in the book later on. Titans is seemingly shaping up to be a book that starkly exemplifies Rebirth's departure from the, "Grimdark" tone of the New 52. I'll definitely be picking this up going forward.

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
    Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This comic was AMAZING!!

I rushed to the comic store to get it but they were all sold out. Luckily one of the guys at the store rummaged in the back and somehow pulled one out for me.

I loved this issue. Was getting chills the whole time. Great emotion and interaction throughout. Love the costume. Liked how he focused on each one. Can't wait for more Garth and Donna. And Wally and Lilith were in a relationship??? Did not see that coming.

Was like seeing old friends after a really long time. Apologize for fanboying out like crazy but I have been waiting YEARS for this. Best comic I've read in a very long time.

Welcome back indeed Wally.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 the_stegman  Moderator

This issue was outstanding.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is a 5/5 for me. The interaction and the dialogue between the team is really impressive. It was an emotional ride and that group hug is really really satisfying.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

good stuff (first time reading teen titans)

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

It's funny, literally nothing happens in this issue. Not even in the flashbacks. It barely even does anything to set up the new series outside of recap the events of Rebirth #1. Still, I loved every single minute of reading this book. The characters I grew up loving are back, and they are written with pitch perfect voice. Can't wait to see where things go. I agree with the 4 star rating.

Orlandozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing issue

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

anyone know what is wally calling himself now?

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Dan Abnett stole the week for me. My two favorite issues this week were both written by him.

My favorite books this week:

1. Titans: Rebirth #1
    2. Justice League #51
    3. Batman #1
    4. Green Arrow #1

This was a really great week for comics, especially as a DC fan. I'm loving Rebirth so far.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't have mine yet, but I will!

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm on board.

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

I really enjoyed this issue. I haven't read the old titans books from the 70s and 80s, but i loved how his issue really captured the comradery of the team.

Avatar image for supermanwithatan01
    Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still need to pick this up!

JTMac005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apokos7: ironically, my comic shop was sold out of Titans and justice league. Gotta track them down somewhere else today. Glad to hear JL 51 is good, can't eat to read them

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd give this issue five stars. Or even six. This issue is as good as bad issue of Civil War II is.
    By the way, it's very ironocal that Dan Abnett, one of writers of Warhammer 40,000, is leading departure from Grimdark. xD

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syncig said:

Dan Abnett stole the week for me. My two favorite issues this week were both written by him.

My favorite books this week:

1. Titans: Rebirth #1

2. Justice League #51

3. Batman #1

4. Green Arrow #1

This was a really great week for comics, especially as a DC fan. I'm loving Rebirth so far.

Agree!

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dredeuced

@rubear said:

I'd give this issue five stars. Or even six. This issue is as good as bad issue of Civil War II is.

By the way, it's very ironocal that Dan Abnett, one of writers of Warhammer 40,000, is leading departure from Grimdark. xD

One of the more refreshing things about Abnett's 40K work compared to the field is it isn't quite as over the top gothic grimdark jank.

Ethan-Ricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely get a vibe that for a while it'll be a "Wally and the Teen Titans" book, which I'm totally okay with.

RaunJisto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed this book. I like how they finally re-established the connections that all these characters from different parts of the DCU had before the N52. I'm also really looking forward to the Titans being in the center of the main conflict of Rebirth. They'll finally be relevant again.

I'm also really hoping that Wally passes by the other Titans team and jolts some of their memories too.

josai21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wally's a speedster...he should just run to all the heroes, tap them on the shoulder and bam..memories returned to all!

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Didn't read it just hopeful my favorite Titan, Raven is finally out of her silly looking outfit and back to classic Raven... please...

Zoch81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I liked it thought was good.

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dredeuced

@blackkitty said:

Didn't read it just hopeful my favorite Titan, Raven is finally out of her silly looking outfit and back to classic Raven... please...

She's going to be in the Teen Titans book with a different outfit (not sure exactly how you'd feel about it). That book should start some time in September with a Rebirth issue.

Titans follows the pre-Wolfman era group, mostly the original 6 seen in this book, so no Raven/Starfire/Beast Boy etc.

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could someone please explain what went on in Titans Hunt please? This issue had the little box that said "see Titans Hunt" and I didn't follow that book.

DivineDebater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never picked up a N52 book in my life, would Rebirth be a nice place to start?

Avatar image for deactivated-5988def3424a7
    deactivated-5988def3424a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was so emotional and awesome.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i missed booth rapmund and dalhouse working together! Amazing issue!

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackkitty said:

She's going to be in the Teen Titans book with a different outfit (not sure exactly how you'd feel about it). That book should start some time in September with a Rebirth issue.

Titans follows the pre-Wolfman era group, mostly the original 6 seen in this book, so no Raven/Starfire/Beast Boy etc.

but did the Wolfman era Titans even happen then? I loved that era most of all, and wasn't that when it rivalled the X-Men in popularity? you think DC would be better off resetting the book to that era and not this one

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dredeuced said:
    @blackkitty said:

but did the Wolfman era Titans even happen then? I loved that era most of all, and wasn't that when it rivalled the X-Men in popularity? you think DC would be better off resetting the book to that era and not this one

Apparently not in this timeline, as Cyborg was never a Teen Titans member and Beast Boy and Raven debuted in the New 52 Teen Titans as their first super hero team. Starfire was off on her own in Red Hood.

NTT was very popular but, for many, many years the Teen Titans/Titans books have been plagued with trying to recreate its success by rehashing those stories and characters. It's the deadest horse in the Titans franchise and I'm glad they're not trying to recreate it.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mickeymayhew said:
    @dredeuced said:
    @blackkitty said:

Apparently not in this timeline, as Cyborg was never a Teen Titans member and Beast Boy and Raven debuted in the New 52 Teen Titans as their first super hero team. Starfire was off on her own in Red Hood.

NTT was very popular but, for many, many years the Teen Titans/Titans books have been plagued with trying to recreate its success by rehashing those stories and characters. It's the deadest horse in the Titans franchise and I'm glad they're not trying to recreate it.

Wasn't the Ravagers Beast Boys' first team, when he was Red?

footix_a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

loved the flashbacks, got to know a little about each one of them.

Avatar image for swagpatrolalpha
    SwagPatrolAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was awesome. I loved how everyone gained their memories. I also love how Nightwing is back in Blue. Hopefully, in Rebirth, somethings will get better. I wanna see Dick and Donna get together in this. Does anyone know more about Lilith? I'm new to her character. Also, does anyone know who Wally is now? The Flash is taken, and Wally isn't a kid anymore. Even if he was, the Wally from Teen Titans took that name.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.