Follow

Tim Drake

Character » Tim Drake appears in 3333 issues.

At the age of nine, Timothy Drake cleverly deduced the identities of Batman and Robin. Four years later, after the death of Jason Todd, Tim convinced Batman that he should be the new Robin. He would later become leader of Young Justice.

Tim Drake and his Future with the Bat-Family

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

Edited By sj_esposito

This past week has been chock-full of announcements, and any DC fan is crazy to not be at least a little excited for September. There were a ton of books announced, characters shown and creative teams divulged. Many of us were waiting, each day, to see if our favorite characters and/or books were going to make it into the DCnU. Some of us may still be disappointed -- sorry Secret Six fans. Some of us may be enthralled at the redesigns. Either way, there's no denying that things are changing. 

For me, personally, I was waiting very carefully Monday morning for those inevitable Bat-related announcements. When they came through, before I read any single solicit, I scoured the covers for any sign of Tim Drake. Of course, I didn't see him anywhere, and thus was very disappointed. However, I knew that there was still hope for Tim, that he'd have a shot at appearing in the revamped version of the Titans, whenever they'd be announced. 

It wasn't until Wednesday that I found Tim, totally redesigned, on the cover of Titans #1. I was excited from the second that I saw it -- who wouldn't like a new Titans book with Tim, Conner, Cassie and Bart? Sure, some of the costumes are a bit 90s -- and yes, I'm lobbying to make '90s' a valid adjective and adverb -- but, I don't really care. In fact, I'll say it, I grew up reading 90s comics, and seeing the redesigns made me pretty nostalgic. I like Cassie's look, and guess what, Bart's too. I didn't have a problem with Conner's until I realized that it probably wasn't Conner and that Conner was most likely going to be relegated to being a cyborg. And I like Tim's -- a lot. I think it's leaps and bounds better than his current Red Robin costume, and it suits him much better; he actually looks like Tim Drake again! I love the bandoleer style chest-harness reminiscent of the Red Robin costume, and I love the mask, color scheme and streamlined nature of the suit that is so reminiscent of Robin. And then, there's the cape. The source of much scrutiny and angst amongst fans, the new feathered cape is a huge departure from the basic black that Tim's worn in the past. I wasn't so thrilled with the cape in the beginning, but I realized that it's probably not a set of wings, just a stylized cape, and I'm okay with that. If he starts flying around like Hawkman or the Falcon, than I'll take issue, but it doesn't seem like that's the direction they're going for. 

Like Tim's new cape, after reading the solicit information, I realized that, while he looks like the Tim Drake that I know, this might be a very different version of the character. 

There's not a single mention anywhere -- not in Titans, nor in the Bat-books. All we have is a single sentence about Tim, a teenager with computer skills who will seemingly rally other teen heroes together. No mention of his time as Robin, or even Gotham. This is very disconcerting. It was at this point that I realized that while I was excited for this relaunch, this could be a shot in the foot. 

I'd hate to see Tim not have any connection to the Bat-Family, in fact, I hate the fact that it doesn't look like he'll be in Gotham at all. The entire reason why I got acquainted with Tim was because he was a Gothamite, and I was a Batman fan. I'll follow him wherever he is, and I've enjoyed his stints with the Titans in past, but to me, there's nothing better than Tim in Gotham -- and I think that can be said for Dick, Babs, etc. These are members of Batman's family, Gotham is their city. 

Could this really happen? Is there any merit to this speculative idea -- that Tim will be a Red Robin independent of Batman and Gotham? 

I don't think it's too far of a stretch to wonder about it, after all we've seen a lot of changes this week. But, DC seems to be drumming in the fact that while this will be an all new, all different world, the bases of the characters will remain unchanged. Well, if you ask me, the basis of Tim Drake is not his computer skills, nor his ability to lead as a tactician, not even his intellect. It's his connect to the Dark Knight.  

Tim has always been Bruce's intellectual equal. Always. Bruce has said it, Ra's has said it, Dick has said it. The writers always intended to portray Tim that way; that's the whole reason for his origin story. To me, if they change that, if Tim is really made to have no connection to Batman or Gotham City, then Tim Drake is not Tim Drake any longer. 

I'm not saying Tim cannot be a hero in his own right; he certainly can be, and is. But, he's only the young hero that we know because of his time with Bruce, in Gotham.  

I'm not too worried though. I trust Jim Lee, Geoff Johns and Dan Didio. I've been a DC fan for 13 years, and I still read DC comics because they've never strayed from the stories that I love -- that's much more than I can say for some other company! I'm not upset about Tim (seemingly) only appearing in the Titans book for a while, as long as he still remains, at his core, the same Tim Drake. I guess we'll find out more as the months go on and September approaches, and I'm still genuinely excited to get more information, to read the books, and hopefully to love them. 

I know there's a ton of people here on Comic Vine who are, like myself, huge Tim Drake fans -- what do you all think?

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Adnan

Tim will still have connections to Bruce, as stated in this interview

Snyder: "Yes, overall, it's a solo title. In Batman #1, we'll have establishing moments where you'll get to see the roles played by Damian, Tim, and Dick."

coolbeans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By coolbeans
    @sEsposito7: Your right we have to trust DC and hope for the best.  I'm honestly really bummed that their isn't a red robin series because it has been my favorite over the past year.  If Tim wasn't involved in Gotham at all I will be very disappointed as well.  I'm kind of iffy about him going back to the teen titans.  He has had so much great character development over the last few years on his own that it almost feels like a step back.  With the revamp though I understand he could be losing a lot of that so if he is younger and with the Titans I guess we will just have to see how the writers handle it.
    Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

It's been mentioned a few times that

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sj_esposito
    @Adnan said:
    Tim will still have connections to Bruce, as stated in this interview

Snyder: "Yes, overall, it's a solo title. In Batman #1, we'll have establishing moments where you'll get to see the roles played by Damian, Tim, and Dick."

Thank you for pointing this out! I hadn't seen that interview before. 
    sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sj_esposito
    @coolbeans said:
    @sEsposito7: Your right we have to trust DC and hope for the best.  I'm honestly really bummed that their isn't a red robin series because it has been my favorite over the past year.  If Tim wasn't involved in Gotham at all I will be very disappointed as well.  I'm kind of iffy about him going back to the teen titans.  He has had so much great character development over the last few years on his own that it almost feels like a step back.  With the revamp though I understand he could be losing a lot of that so if he is younger and with the Titans I guess we will just have to see how the writers handle it.
    I agree with you; Red Robin has been my never-fails-always-good series. I'm upset that it's gone, but more upset that Nicieza won't be writing Tim and Marcus To won't be involved in the relaunch at all.  

With regard to Tim going back to the Titans, I think it will be good, but only because he's going to be back with Conner (maybe), Cassie, and Bart. They're all characters I grew up reading, and I know that I'll enjoy seeing them in the book again. I just hope younger, newer fans will take to the Titans like I did when I was younger. And as a disclaimer: I didn't need a damn #1. ;)
    UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By UltimateSMfan
    @sEsposito7 said:
     I just hope younger, newer fans will take to the Titans like I did when I was younger. And as a disclaimer: I didn't need a damn #1. ;)
          LOL
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By jrock85
    @sEsposito7
    The full solicit for the new Teen Titans #1 states that Tim is Batman's former sidekick. I would not have been a happy camper if they erased his connection to the Bat Family.
    sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sj_esposito
    @jrock85 said:
    @sEsposito7:  The full solicit for the new Teen Titans #1 states that Tim is Batman's former sidekick. I would not have been a happy camper if they erased his connection to the Bat Family.
    Thanks for pointing this out, man. I saw this earlier and was planning on mentioning here in the comments, because it really eased my fears -- I'm pretty happy now!
    -Vigil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By -Vigil-
    @sEsposito7 said:
    @jrock85 said:
    @sEsposito7:  The full solicit for the new Teen Titans #1 states that Tim is Batman's former sidekick. I would not have been a happy camper if they erased his connection to the Bat Family.
    Thanks for pointing this out, man. I saw this earlier and was planning on mentioning here in the comments, because it really eased my fears -- I'm pretty happy now!
    So long as it would be temporary, I think it would have been pretty cool for Tim to no Bat-family connections. I may like this even better though, because now he has a history with the Bat-family, but his primary connections seem to be with the Teen Titans for the moment.
    sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sj_esposito
    @-Vigil- said:
    @sEsposito7 said:
    @jrock85 said:
    So long as it would be temporary, I think it would have been pretty cool for Tim to no Bat-family connections. I may like this even better though, because now he has a history with the Bat-family, but his primary connections seem to be with the Teen Titans for the moment.
    I don't necessarily mind his appearances being concentrated in the Titans book, but I would have definitely had an issue with him not having any connection to Batman and Gotham at all. I do prefer Tim in Gotham, but I like seeing him with the Titans also.
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By fodigg

I'm not super-keen on the outfits for teen titans, but I'll have to read it to really decide. I like that it's a "tim book."

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Amegashita

Tim Drake, Batman's former sidekick, is back in action when an international organization seeks to capture, kill or co-opt super-powered teenagers.
    As Red Robin, he's going to have to team up with the mysterious and belligerent powerhouse thief known as Wonder Girl and the hyperactive speedster calling himself Kid Flash to stand any chance at all against a living, breathing weapon with roots in another world! They - along with a few other tortured teen heroes - will be the Teen Titans in this new series from writer Scott Lobdell (WILDC.A.T.S, Uncanny X-Men) and artist Brett Booth (JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA)!

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sj_esposito

So, here's an excerpt from an interview with Lobdell: 

Brett would write to me and say “Robin is named after Robin Hood, not the bird.  No wings.”  I would write back and say “Let’s just TRY the wings, see how they look.”   He would write back “I sketched out some wings. They don’t work.” I’d say “Can I SEE the wings and we can DISCUSS the different looks?”  and he’d write back and say “Fans don’t want to see Red Robin with wings.  I know, I am a fan.  They won’t accept him with wings.”   LOL!  This went ’round and ’round and ’round until he relented and showed me the wings and then we all got really excited because Red Robin looks so great with those wings!  They say “Yeah, I’m a teen detective — but I’m smart enough to know what I need to kick your ass!”   (Storywise, how he came by those wings in continuity and the other additions to his “utility belt”, is so exciting I want to blurt them out right here!   And when you look at the character’s history, he grew up around a guy who had bat-mobile, a bat-copter, a bat-boat, a batcave, and the most expensive toys in the world.   This notion that Red Robin wouldn’t similarly use today’s technology to help him in his own fight against crime flies in the face of everything we know about the character.)

Looks like they are, in fact, wings and not a feathered cape as I had hoped. I have to say, I'm really not thrilled about this. I get the logic behind it -- that Tim needs a way to keep up with the rest of the team, and that it reflects his resourcefulness -- but, I think to give him a set of wings is a cop out. I won't mind too much if they can sort of fold up -- like a fan -- when he's not 'flying' but if they're going to be just hanging around -- like Hawkman's do -- then I'm going to hate them. Why? Because it wouldn't make sense for Tim, a man of stealth, to be wearing gigantic mech-wings. It'd be obtrusive and would absolutely hinder his abilities. And did anyone think about how having a set of wings would hinder his fighting style? The whole thing doesn't make sense. But, if they can fold into themselves a bit, and be flexible like a cape, than it'd be better. A little. 

Note: the excerpt comes from an interview conducted with Lobdell over at Bleeding Cool.
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fodigg

I hate it. Which I realize is kind of ridiculous because I had no problem with Nightwing's auto-pilot glider, but I still hate it.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DEGRAAF

I love Tim's new design. I like the cape/wings too. From what i hear it's a cape similar to the cape in the movie the Dark knight just more to look like wings. It's a cape that can send current through it to make it rigid or something. 

I like this way more than his old costume and cant wait to pick up Teen Titans and Batman to see the bat family all around each other
    cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By cascadeking09
    @sEsposito7: Lol he did mention a few times that he wanted to fly.
    Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#17  Edited By Gold Dust Boi

I love the 90's (great adjective) costumes also!! I, too, grew up reading the 90's books and their flashy over done costumes.  Back when everything wasnt so serious.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By BatteredArmor

Why do so many people dislike the wings i think they fit  Tim perfectly if he could incorprate benificial wings into his costume then he would in an instant. Sure i would love the them to be all black and not red but i also would like a great charecter like tim to not be named after a resturant so i know i cant always get what i want. Also not to be a homophobe or a gay basher but conner having to carry tim everywhere created more than a few fan fictions i wouldnt want to read

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.