Follow

Tim Drake

Character » Tim Drake appears in 3333 issues.

At the age of nine, Timothy Drake cleverly deduced the identities of Batman and Robin. Four years later, after the death of Jason Todd, Tim convinced Batman that he should be the new Robin. He would later become leader of Young Justice.

Thoughts on Tim Drake and OCD?

shrimpydog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By shrimpydog

Tim's been called obsessive or having to need to control things by a lot of characters, even had it end relationships. There's this from Teen Titans I have on hand

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

I'm not saying "oh thats direct proof he has it", because I don't think that was the writer's intention, but what are some stances on it? Especially anyone who has OCD (as I do myself).

I've been seeing a lot of similarities between my own struggle with OCD and Tim's obsessive behavior and while he doesn't seem compulsive, not all OCD compulsions come out in "physical" ways (so can be mental compulsions, or making sure "everything is okay and under control") and it also isn't just things like cleaning.

I'm just going with screenshots I already have saved, but Tim's arguably unhealthy need to bring back Conner despite rationally knowing it wasn't possible and wouldn't be the same person could be argued with this

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

And Tim's conversation with Conner after he's back about it on how it was his way of coping (as obsessions with OCD can often be brought out even more from stressors and anxiety, or larger things like greif) (from Action Comics)

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

So, thoughts? Anyone else have other moments of Tim showing larger than average levels of obsessiveness and need to have things under control to contribute? I'm still reading through his comics so I'd love to see if anyone's been on the same thought trail as me on this and has more to add! :)

JohnClark43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is actually an interesting question. I'm not sure I agree that it's OCD exactly (largely because I'm uncertain of where one draws the line between genuine OCD and just tendencies that might be OCD-ish), but there's definitely a case to be made. One of the reasons I realized I was so intrigued by Tim was when I saw something someone did which was a MBTI type that had Tim as the same type as me (INTP). I do think Tim has an obsession with order that is perhaps even more extreme than Bruce's, just look at what he becomes as the Batman of Tomorrow, his need to control Gotham as Bruce sought to drives him to extremes Bruce would never even consider. Tim's fixation with perfecting the 'Gotham Knights' team in the current run of Detective Comics shows a compulsion and obsession with order.

But I'm not sure if OCD is really about order or really about compulsion, and I'm not sure that Tim's pathology isn't just reflective of two things 1. his being a natural leader, and 2. his being one of the great strategic minds of the DCU. Whether they qualify on the spectrum of OCD or not they're clearly dominant parts of his personality that would incline him towards OCD-like behavior.

On the flipside of this is that while he does have natural leadership traits, he can also defer to other people and be a reasonable to good follower, both from his early days on TT to his work with Batman and his willingness to be Batwoman's second in command of the 'Gotham Knights' in the current run of 'Tec.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.