Awesome Toy Picks: Imperial TIE Fighter Pilot Sixth Scale Figure from Sideshow Collectibles

Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

Each week we take a close look at a comic book collectible. That means taking it out of the box. While Star Wars didn't get it's start in comics, the current ones from Marvel have been blowing people away. With the new movie out next month, this seems like a good time to look at the Imperial TIE Fighter Pilot from Sideshow Collectibles.

Check out our unboxing video to see how it looks out of the package.

The TIE Fighter Pilot always seemed a little more mysterious. I thought it was interesting that they were the only Stormtroopers that weren't white.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

They have big helmets because thee need to be able to breath in space. They're vacuum-sealed so the TIE Fighter doesn't have to have life support systems in it. He also has a Vacuum G-suit along with a life support pack and gas transfer hoses.

No Caption Provided

It's also interesting that their helmets and uniforms bear the Galactic Empire symbol when the other Stormtroopers armor doesn't.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

The figure comes with two guns. The first is the Blastech R-11 rifle.

No Caption Provided

Because the figure comes with different hands, you have a lot of choices in how you position him with the rifle. The detail on the rifle is great as well. It looks worn rather than being a simple black piece of plastic.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

The rifle also fits in the holster at his side.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

The second gun is an exclusive 'retro' pistol blaster. It looks a little odd but I like the smaller gun for a TIE pilot. You would think with all the other equipment he has on his suit, he'd want a smaller gun.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

There's also some "positive gravity pressure boots" that's part of the outfit. They kind of look like regular boots to me.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

There is a simple stand. It's pretty basic but does have the Star Wars logo on the bottom. The figure can stand on its own but obviously the stand helps to put him in different positions. And here you can see some of the other hands included.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

The Imperial TIE Fighter Pilot figure is pretty sleek and doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles. It doesn't need them. This also means the price is a little lower. You can pre-order the figure from Sideshow Collectibles and get more information here:

No Caption Provided

http://bit.ly/GetTIEFighter

The figure will cost you $199.99. It's expected to start shipping between November and December 2015.

There is just something kind of elegant for the outfit. The black really sets it apart from your typical average Stormtrooper, even though they were apparently considered expendable.

No Caption Provided

Thanks to Sideshow Collectibles for giving us an early look at the figure. Let us know what you think of the figure. Also, let us know which is your favorite type of Stormtrooper.

#1 Edited by DamoMinimus (100 posts) - - Show Bio

Dayam, G-man, you know your subject! (or did you just read it on the box? Don't shatter my illusions!)

The Tie Fighter Pilots always looked cool. My other favourites back in the day were the AT-AT drivers who I believe, coincidentally, also had the imperial logo on their helmets. They made the standard Stormtroopers look quite weedy.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
#2 Posted by CaptainMarvel4Ever (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, 'm not even a Star Wars fan but that looks really cool.

#3 Posted by zombietag (1699 posts) - - Show Bio

this looks awesome but $200 for an action figure is way more than ill ever spend...

#4 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

@zombietag: I usually say these are for the serious collectors. It is a lot but they're so glorious.

Avatar image for igoromerbegovic
#5 Posted by IgorOmerbegovic (1 posts) - - Show Bio

as a big time Sideshow collector (in making, i only have 9 pieces so far lol) i do agree, you really have to commit to owning/buying them. You have to do some serious self justification after the first couple of purchases. Plus there is no way to own just one, its like eating pistachios, cant ever eat just one :P

A heads up though, might be useful to people looking to buy this one or any from the same line. Don't freak out if you feel that you just purchased a supremely well made Ken doll. Feeling goes away relatively quickly. I say this because recently I purchased my first one with real textile and material gear and clothes which was the 1/6 Deadpool. I thought it was fantastic but my wife who just witnessed unboxing of a 23 inch tall, 25 lbs Wonder Woman monument (a true one piece statue), kind of giggled and commented on Deadpool being a glorified Ken doll because he was posable and had cloth clothing and pleather holsters, little plastic guns, etc you get the point. Of course she has no idea idea what she's talking about, Deadpool is awesome lol

#6 Posted by FatDaddyB (17 posts) - - Show Bio

No way is this guy worth $200! He should be in the lower $150 range due to lack of accessories and he is just all black for the most part. If you are going to blow big bucks look for tons of standout detail and tons of accessories. JMO though.

#7 Posted by Cave_Duck (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Dayam, G-man, you know your subject! (or did you just read it on the box? Don't shatter my illusions!)

The Tie Fighter Pilots always looked cool. My other favourites back in the day were the AT-AT drivers who I believe, coincidentally, also had the imperial logo on their helmets. They made the standard Stormtroopers look quite weedy.

Same here! The AT-AT driver was one of my favourite of the old action figures I had as a kid.

Its good to see that even in the galaxy far, far away Pilots will still do whatever they can to draw attention to themselves! :P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.