Follow

Thundra

Character » Thundra appears in 256 issues.

From an alternate reality, Thundra is the mightiest warrior from the United Sisterhood Republic, a country populated and ruled by the Femizons, a matriarchal society of Amazon-like women warriors. Thundra's reality is the alternate reality of the 23rd century Earth-715. Thundra is the strongest person of her world.

Who do you prefer: Thundra or her daughter Lyra?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By PowerHerc

I like Thundra far more.  
    I wish they had never connected her to the Hulk family.   
    If they wanted/needed a teen She-Hulk, they could've come up with one without involving Thundra. 

Thundra
    Thundra
    Lyra
    Lyra
    goldenshot80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By goldenshot80
    @PowerHerc: Is lyra way stronger then her own mother?
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PowerHerc
    @goldenshot80 said:
    " @PowerHerc: Is lyra way stronger then her own mother? "

I'm not exactly sure of Lyra's strength, but from what I've seen Lyra is stronger than Thundra.   
    I don't agree with it, but I guess I don't have too.
    moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By moviegeek17
    @PowerHerc said:

" @goldenshot80 said:

" @PowerHerc: Is lyra way stronger then her own mother? "
    I'm not exactly sure of Lyra's strength, but from what I've seen Lyra is stronger than Thundra.   I don't agree with it, but I guess I don't have too. "
     I would have to go with Thundra, i've been a fan of her a while as you know but i i haven't said what i think of Lyra.
     I think she actually hinders her character actually though i get why they did it (tried to make her a strong mother figure but i still don't like it) but what they've done by doing that is effectively kill any chance of Thundra ever getting another story to herself  (like Jeff Parker's one shot ) let alone a series to herself that i've always wished they'd give her
    Which one do you prefer?
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PowerHerc
    @moviegeek17:
    You know I prefer Thundra to Lyra (Thundra's my favorite superheroine).  In fact I don't really like Lyra all that much. 

You make a good point; with Lyra now part of the Hulk's mythos, Thundra will probably languish in her shadow, never to regain even a brief moment in the spotlight let alone a shot at something truly significant.  It's a damned shame.
    Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I can't say I like Lyra more than Thundra, as I am not as familiar with the latter, but I think Lyra is one of my favorite of the Hulks.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Jotham

Personality-wise, I think Thundra's more interesting. But there's just something about green skin...

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PowerHerc
    @Jotham:
    So, you like 'em green, huh? 
    Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Video_Martian

I prefer Thundra =D

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PowerHerc
    @mr.obvious:
    Glad to hear it. 
    moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By moviegeek17
    @PowerHerc:
    yeah i forgot lol (one of those brain dead nights). And yeah thundra as a character is pretty used up now :(. Which is a real shame since i liked Jeff Parker's voice for Thundra and thought he would be the one to do character justice and to be fair he has been the closest one to do and has sparked a mini thundra resurgence in comics for about a year and to be fair i thank at least for doing that.
    Though i think Lyra might have worked but imagine if they spinned it this way. What if Jeff Parker focused on a series about thundra balancing being empress of the femizons while raising her daughter? wouldn't that at least have made the most of a bad decision for her character? Honestly they could even start it up now and set it in Thundra's time period. Honestly it mgiht be the last opportunity to give thundra the series she deserves.
    Avatar image for omegathedestroyer
    OmegaTheDestroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thundra

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PowerHerc
    @moviegeek17:
    I guess we have nothing to lose if we keep hoping Thundra someday gets her shot, so let's keep hoping.
    moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By moviegeek17
    @PowerHerc: 
    pretty much, though marvel doesn't seem to be any close to giving it to her though. hell if black widow can't keep a series going why would they give thundra a chance? i guess thats their way of thinking. i just hope they dont give lyra a series, that would just add insult to injury for me
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Jotham
    @PowerHerc said:
    " @Jotham: So, you like 'em green, huh?  "
    Heh, well I came of age while She-Hulk was traipsing around in a purple spandex leotard, so I don't really have a choice.
    greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By greenenvy

Lyra because of green and fan of she hulk. 

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PowerHerc
    @moviegeek17: 
    Yes.  It's seems to still be quite a feat for a female character to sustain her own on-going series.  I'd be happy if Thundra were used as part of a team, albeit a key part. 

@Jotham:

That's cool.
    moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By moviegeek17
    @PowerHerc: 
    i agree with you man, i was kinda surprised that she wasn't on the secret avengers they could have easily swapped out valkyrie for her.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PowerHerc
    @moviegeek17 said:
    " @PowerHerc:  i agree with you man, i was kinda surprised that she wasn't on the secret avengers they could have easily swapped out valkyrie for her."

You know what?  That would have been a great idea!  I never thought of that.  Now that you said it, I wish she were in 'Secret Avengers' instead of Valkyrie.
    moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By moviegeek17

@PowerHerc:

thanks man, it occurred to me when they first revealed the roster and it really occured to me that this team would suit her perfectly . why wont marvel ever give her a chance? honestly luke cage wouldnt be as big as he is now if bendids didn't get a hold of him why cant the same thing happen to thundra?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PowerHerc
    @moviegeek17:
    Maybe Marvel is only interested in promoting She-Hulk, or other Hulk-related females) as their preeminent strong-woman, which was a position/role once filled by Thundra.   

I remember Thundra from the mid and late 70's, when she was clearly Marvel's strongest female, long before She-Hulk first appeared.  

Hell, even after She-Hulk did appear, Thundra still remained the strongest lady in the MU.   
    When Spider-Man (Marvel) ranked their strongest characters in a bonus feature at the end of "Amazing Spider-Man Annual" #15 in 1981; Thundra was placed in the 'Heavyweights' category (the 2nd highest) while She-Hulk was put in the 'Super-Mediumweights' category (the 3rd highest).   

Also, when the first edition of the "Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe" was published in 1983; Thundra's max. lift was 60 tons and She-Hulk's was 50 tons.  Thundra had a 10 ton advantage!  That changed by 1985, though, when the second edition of the Handbook came out.  In the time between the two editions John Byrne amped She-Hulk's strength to 75 tons while she was filling in for the Thing in the FF.  The She-Hulk has received several more strength upgrades/boosts since, but Thundra's strength remains at the same level it started at.   

Giving She-Hulk all of this preferential treatment is bullshit, pure and simple, yet it continues while Thundra (a far superior character, imo) languishes.
    moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By moviegeek17
    @PowerHerc: 
    you are probably right, but she hulk has had several series before and her most recent one has ended so why keep going that route when you have a character with so much potential wasting away?

And i could definitely buy Thundra being the strongest woman in the MU, and i still kind of consider that now ( because if she hulk's strength can get boosted by that much then so should thundra's to the 80 tons mark) 

And im also curious to why they didn't try anything with her in the 70's when she was at her peak of recognition. any insight on that one? jw. So yeah i have had enough of she hulk and at this point i just want thundra in another story again, be it red hulk secret avengers, fantastic, ultimates line whatever it is will work for me.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PowerHerc
    @moviegeek17:
    I don't know why they didn't do more to capitalize on her in the 70's.   

She was a recurring character in the FF and Marvel-Two-in-One, though.   
    Those are the books I met her, and came to really dig her, in.
    moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By moviegeek17
    @PowerHerc: 
    What a shame they didn't, i read a few of her earlier appearances. She made one hell of an opening entrance koing the thing the way she did. I remember when i read the it a few years back in a borders and it just really stuck with me you know? If i ever become i comic book writer i would love to try and salvage her character, though god knows what theyd do to her while i tried to break into the business lol
    infonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By infonation

@moviegeek17: Wait a second, so Thundera could lift a "mere" 60 tons and she STILL had some of MARVEL'S toughest characters on the ropes? I can't wait to see what hppens if she does indeed get a power boost!

Avatar image for yumyumbubblegum
    yumyumbubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By yumyumbubblegum

God I'm so sick of these Hulk spawns that Marvel are creating. Just leave it at Skaar...

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thundra. The last time I remember seeing her, though, was in Avengers Forever quite a while ago.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Blood1991

Thundra as if we need another Hulk running around to begin with. She-Hulk is the only green lady I need.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By dernman
    @Blood1991 said:

Thundra as if we need another Hulk running around to begin with. She-Hulk is the only green lady I need.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @Dernman said:
    @Blood1991 said:

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PowerHerc

@TheGoldenOne said:

@Dernman said:
    @Blood1991 said:

Aye, verily!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Lyra.She's a cool character.I know alot of people say we don't need more Hulk's but I like all the Hulk's.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By CATPANEXE

@Vance Astro said:

Lyra.She's a cool character.I know alot of people say we don't need more Hulk's but I like all the Hulk's.

Here here.

Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
    venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thundra.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jrock85

I like them both.

Scarbearer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Scarbearer

@PowerHerc: I have long preferred Thundra to Lyra. One thing I've always been confused about, Is the Thundra that hooked up with Hulk, the Same Thundra that fought Ben Grimm when she attack Project P.E.G.A.S.U.S? Or was it yet /another/ Thundra from /another/ alternate dimenstion. I have never been particularly clear on that.

Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Thor's hammmer

Thundra fo show
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PowerHerc

@Scarbearer said:

@PowerHerc: I have long preferred Thundra to Lyra. One thing I've always been confused about, Is the Thundra that hooked up with Hulk, the Same Thundra that fought Ben Grimm when she attack Project P.E.G.A.S.U.S? Or was it yet /another/ Thundra from /another/ alternate dimenstion. I have never been particularly clear on that.

Marvel has made this confusing. In the story where Thundra comes back in time to obatin the Hulk's DNA it seems apparent this is not the "mainstream" Thundra. But when the mainstream Thundra is seen in the Hulk/Red Hulk story-arcs, it seems apparent she is the mother of Lyra who is the the product of the Hulk's DNA. I don't think Marvel has cleared this matter up.

Scarbearer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Scarbearer

@PowerHerc: Ahh ok so I'm not crazy it sounds like Marvel's never clarified. I think part of why I never liked Lyra as much as Thundra is that she seemed like a cheap attempt to have a more teen angsty She-Hulk. I always felt like it've been more interesting if Lyra turned out to be Ben Grimm's daughter. The Hulk may be stronger and force of nature, but Ben is /true/ warrior.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PowerHerc

@Scarbearer said:

@PowerHerc: Ahh ok so I'm not crazy it sounds like Marvel's never clarified. I think part of why I never liked Lyra as much as Thundra is that she seemed like a cheap attempt to have a more teen angsty She-Hulk. I always felt like it've been more interesting if Lyra turned out to be Ben Grimm's daughter. The Hulk may be stronger and force of nature, but Ben is /true/ warrior.

I completely agree with your assessment of Lyra being an attempt to create a teen-angsty She-Hulk. Great observation! Too bad her existence pushes Thundra (the more originl and better character, imo) even further into the background.

infonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By infonation

@PowerHerc: I like BOTH, but It does feel like they're just trying to get rid of Thundra, and that's just WRONG. I don't think they should get rid of Lyra though, and if they do it better not be in the same way D.C. got rid of Lian Harper!

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PowerHerc

@infonation: I'm glad to see you like Thundra and I think getting rid of her would be wrong, too.

I'm still not a fan of Lyra but maybe she'll grow on me eventually.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By seekquaze

@PowerHerc: I haven't read much of either, but to me Thundra sounds like she has more potential as a character. Lyra comes across as another teenager Hulk family member. The teenage hero part and kid Hulk are fulfilled by other roles. If more time had been taken to develop Lyra it might have made her more interesting, but not as she is.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By z3ro180

@PowerHerc: who are these characters ?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By PowerHerc

@Z3RO180 said:

@PowerHerc: who are these characters ?

From an alternate future timeline, Thundra is the leader, and mightiest warrior, of a nation of women who are at war with the weaker sex; men. Since there are no suitable men to mate with in her time, she travelled back to our time to mate with the strongest male on Earth. She thought it to be the Thing and even though they never got it on, she still has a soft spot for Mr. Grimm.

Lyra is her "daughter" from yet another alternate future timeline who is the product of the combined genetic material of both Thundra and our time period's Hulk.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PowerHerc

@seekquaze said:

@PowerHerc: Thundra sounds like she has more potential as a character. Lyra comes across as another teenager Hulk family member. The teenage hero part and kid Hulk are fulfilled by other roles. If more time had been taken to develop Lyra it might have made her more interesting, but not as she is.

I agree.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DevilMayehm666

Well now Lyra is the only kid hulk.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.