Follow

Thor

Movie » Thor released on May 06, 2011.

When his arrogant acts reignite an ancient war, Asgard's prince and greatest warrior Thor is banished to earth. Now he must prove his worth to his father in order to return to Asgard and regain his power. Thor (2011) is the fourth film in the MCU.

Thor Movie Review

• 63 results
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
    Idris Elba just killed it as Heimdell. I never paid attention to him in the comics, but the character had such a great, menacing growl and tacit code of honor, that I really wanted to see more of him.    
    Idris Elba just killed it as Heimdell. I never paid attention to him in the comics, but the character had such a great, menacing growl and tacit code of honor, that I really wanted to see more of him.    

This past evening, I had the most bodacious opportunity to attend a free screening of THOR the LA Times put on in Burbank for Geoff Boucher’s Hero Complex blog. If the opportunity to watch a big blockbuster a few days ahead of a few million Americans wasn’t appealing enough, the show was also followed by an interview Boucher conducted with Chris Hemsworth and Kenneth Branagh. You maniacs have already heard G-Man, Babs, Norm and Rorie’s take on this fourth Marvel Studios movie, so I’ll keep my thoughts on the film focused on points relating to the post-movie discussion.

• From bit players to supporting actors and from mighty Aesir to mere mortals, there wasn’t a single performance that felt out of place. Were I to pick favorites though, I’d name Tom Hiddleston as the stand-out. Branagh never outright compared Loki to Iago (a Shakespearean villain he once portrayed,) but his description of the mercurial heel- - he's either the universe’s greatest actor or simply an insecure little brother who doesn’t know what he wants - - drew strong correlations to my mind. Hiddleston’s plays the part much more understated than the cackling trickster portrayed in the comics and he creates a scarier and more nuanced supervillain than we’ve usually seen on screen.
    • It’s funny how Bifrost was singled out as the hardest aspect of Asgard to get audiences to suspend their belief over. Branagh said the first and last questions asked during production concerned the Rainbow Bridge and he actually saw it as a challenge to take on such an outright piece of fantasia. I found that all a little ironic because Bifrost didn’t strike me as being that much different than it is in the comics (barring the STARGATE observatory,) yet it was the most frequented setting in the flick. 
    • Ray Stevenson has some serious range. I can't believe Volstagg was played so well by the same guy who blew so many heads up as the Punisher
    • Hemsworth mentioned working with a personal trainer named "Paradox" who advised him on how to carry himself as Thor (he also told all the Frost Giants how they should walk.) While I was a little surprised that they went all the way with the Mjolnir super-moves by having Thor fly and spin the hammer around like a propeller, the open-handed combat had much more a Jason Bourne texture than Thor's fight style in the comics. Like Hugh Jackman did for Wolverine, Hemsworth modeled his body language after Mike Tyson's in-ring ferocity, and it definitely showed.
    • Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but the Easter Egg ratio seemed a little less concentrated in this one. After all the hullabaloo, I didn't notice the Infinity Gauntlet in Odin's vault, but I did smile over the billboard inviting tourists to "journey into mystery."  Branagh had a great attitude about the subject, though, especially a certain character's cameo. He thought it was cool, not intrusive, to bring more contours into his movie

Those are my select thoughts in liue of a full review. None of you maniacs have any reason not to see this. It's a perfect summer movie and, for my money, it was a more enchanting and immersive 3D than AVATAR.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS!  &  UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon   here  &   here .  Follow him on Twitter:  @tompinchuk

-Vigil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By -Vigil-

Loved this movie.

skillin villin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By skillin villin

can't wait!!! excitement!

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Vitality

Awesome movie.

Cannot wait for the avengers.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Ray Stevenson will never be the Punisher to me. Thomas Jane. Now there's your Punisher. 

Nah, just kidding. I never saw the second one. Mainly because Jane wasn't in it. Oh well. 

Thor looks good. I'll see that soon. 
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Moomin123

After seeing already (I live in the UK) before America, I gotta say, I loved it. It's definately my favourite Marvel film so far, better to me than Iron Man, but only just.

Chris Hemsworth was great as Thor and I look forward to seeing him again in the Avengers, and I also hope that he appears in other, non-comic related movies.

But Loki really stole the show for me and I'm glad that again, he's going to appear in the Avengers.

Iron_Turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Iron_Turtle

Really enjoyed the movie. Loki was brilliant.

Also. Screw 3D. At the moment it is a superfluous waste of money and budget.
    isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By isaac_clarke

I haven't seen the film yet, but if the IG is in Odin's Vault, I may indeed have the most glorious nerdgasm known to man. Really I will.
    Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vitality

I will be very upset if Thor and Hulk do not throw down in the Avengers movie.
    Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#9  Edited By Green ankh

I am 43 and my wife is 50 we both are looking forward to seeing this Friday !!
    SupremoMaximo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By SupremoMaximo

I got tickets for Friday.  I found the cheapest theatre in my area and watching it in 2D.  I'm saving five bucks a ticket that way.

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

I'm gonna review it tommorow, and I just have to say, what a excellent movie, Avengers better make him fight Hulk, its what nerds have wanted for over 40 years!
    Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I am going to see Thor tomorrow.YAY

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

cant wait..........daaaaaammmmmnnnn

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Still wondering if I should watch this tomorrow or Saturday..hmmm...

Avatar image for spider_man_2996
    spider-man 2996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#15  Edited By spider-man 2996

Great film, but I did not see the Infinity Gauntlet maybe it might be in Cap but if it is how would it tie in with the story or it was hidden very well.
    ddaann1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By ddaann1985

It was a good movie! Not as good as Iron Man 1, better then number 2, and waaaaaaay better then X-men Origins:Wolverine

tamas0228

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tamas0228

It was a fantastic movie, I loved it as well. :) 

Bremu_CaYon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bremu_CaYon

I can't wait to see this movie.  Its getting increasingly hard to find a theater that is showing it not in 3D!

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NightFang3

I might just watch this movie on blue-ray.

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Meteorite

Loved that billboard reference!

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By isaac_clarke

Just saw it, great movie. Where the !@#$ was the IG though? I was looking for it very very hard.
    skillin villin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By skillin villin

this movie was awesome, loved this movie.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Eyz

Ray Stevenson is in this movie? (as Volstagg nonetheless??)
    Hollywood keep reusing the same actors in the same type of movies (here: comic book adaptations/superheroes) all the time lately :/

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24  Edited By noj

Just got back from the midnight showing, and it was AWESOME! The best Marvel cinematic universe movie since Iron Man, and one of the best Marvel movies in general.

fbdarkangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fbdarkangel

Just saw it! it was AWESOME!

LordTaronji101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By LordTaronji101

a great flick

GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GT-Man

Hope to see it
    Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rheged

AWESOME movie!  I agree, Loki was fabulous.  Laufey was fabulous.  Heimdall was fabulous.  The Warriors Three and Sif were fabulous.  I even liked Jane Foster, which I thought would NEVER happen.  Oh heck, ALL the actors were fabulous!  I love you Kenneth Branagh!

I have to agree with the 3D comment.  I'm not a big fan and it wasn't really necessary for this movie.  I thought it mostly a distraction.

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By leokearon

A great movie check out my review.
    The WeatherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By The WeatherMan

Going tomorrow. FOR ASGARD!!!

jezebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jezebel

Just got back from the movie.  It was fantastic, and Hiddleston's  performance blew me away.  I was grinning ear to ear for the entire movie, and my friend, who I practically had to drag there, enjoyed it a lot as well.  I can't wait for Captain America and The Avengers.

Blindside002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Blindside002

The movie was very well done, only problem I had was with Sif nothing being portrayed as more of a love interest towards Thor. I was expecting some conflict to happen between her and Jane Foster but they didn't even mention it. I guess I can only hope this would be addressed possibly in later films.

Renee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Renee

Really fun movie!

Full_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Full_Spectrum

Loki stole the show. I still can't decide if he's just pure evil or an insecure little brother with daddy issues. His sudden triple cross there at the end really caught me off guard and kinda showed  (kinda) where his true colors lay.

Hemsworth was the right choice for Thor. He was just as brash and arrogant as i thought he should be, without losing the sense of noble protection of the innocent. And dear lord that man is cut.

Hopkins can do no wrong. ever.

The performance that really caught me off guard was idris elba as heimdall. I (along with the rest of the world) was very unsure of this one. I don't mind that they chose a black actor for a white role. It isn't the first time a black actor has succeeded as a white character (Kingpin is still the best part of that train wreck) I liked Elba as heimdall. He really portrayed the all seeing sentry quite well, and his defiance of Odin to uncover the truth shows the depths of his dedication to the safeguarding of asgard.

I love natalie portman in every role. i love how much of this movie she spends being both flustered and dumbfounded. it kept the movie light enough to stop it from being to sappy.

Kat Dennings remains one of my favorite actresses ever. I laughed at just about everything she said or did.

So yeah, right up there with Iron Man as far as quality. The Characters were kept almost entirely intact. The fight scenes were epic and lasted long enough to keep you satisfied. plot was mostly predictable, but in a way that i didn't really mind. I'm not going to say it's my favorite marvel movie, but i won't deny it either ;)

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I liked this movie A LOT!  It surpassed all my expectations.  I think the dialogue was well done, the way the characters were written, the way the actors portrayed them, the cameo by another hero in the movie, the fact that Jane Foster wasn't a damsel in distress, almost everything.  It was really great.  I am planning to see it again.  Maybe I have comic book goggles on right now, I came out of Daredevil liking it, but I think this movie is great.  I will buy it on DVD when it comes out.

riri4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By riri4life
    @ddaann1985 said:
    "It was a good movie! Not as good as Iron Man 1, better then number 2, and waaaaaaay better then X-men Origins:Wolverine "

I liked it more than all 3 of those. lol
    deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

I've never really been a Thor fan...until now. This movie was everything I was hoping for and expecting - and then some.I wouldn't hesitate to go an see it again. Ideally, I would. But, realistically, I'm probably going to wait and splurge on the Blu-Ray/DVD/iTunes combo.

I expect Captain America will be just as good. Green Lantern has a lot of expectation to live up to...

Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Adam Michaels

I actually didn't catch the billboard reference. I did however catch Erik Selvig telling Jane Foster and Darcy Lewis about how dangerous SHIELD is after they took their equipment. He mentioned the foremost scientist of gamma radiation and how after SHIELD got involved, he was never heard from again, referencing Bruce Banner.

I loved this movie. I think they did a great job of mixing the real world of Earth with the fantastical and mythical world of Asgard. I had high hopes for this movie and it didn't disappoint. I particularly enjoyed Thor's Asgardian mentality when he crash landed on Earth. Classic!

I do hope they continue a Thor franchise after The Avengers.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iaconpoint

Loved this movie. Third fav superhero movie after Spider-Man 2 and Tim Burton Batman. Hope the next solo Thor movie takes us to more of the other nine worlds.

Bald Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bald Eagle

Just seen Thor and I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HannibalKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HannibalKing

Hiddleston as Loki was definitely my favorite part of the film, but I'm a pretty big Loki fan though, so it's a given. I liked that special cameo as well. I'll say it's my favorite Marvel film so far, simply because of Loki. Until Captain America that is.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz

Some really good stuff, Thor"s 

A very good kick off to the summer movie scene! I really enjoyed it, but I did not LOVE it.
    I could not figure it out at the time, but it dawned on me...just a bunch of missed opportunities to make it a epic adventure
    going to see it again with he family this time next weekend
    I have to place this one behind Iron Man, but above Iron Man 2 and the Hulk

stay for the credits!
    Can't believe people were still leaving t this point in the game, this stuff should not be a surprise anymore lol
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By goldenkey

movie was with out a doubt good enough to go see and not be disappointed.  It's gonna be exactly what most think it's gonna be.  Better then Iron Man 2 but not better then Iron Man 1
    Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ArtisticNeedham
    Thor & Loki: Hemsworth & Hiddleston
    Thor & Loki: Hemsworth & Hiddleston
      http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/647832/would-kenneth-branagh-tackle-another-thor-movie.jhtml#id=1663025
    Interview with Kenneth Branagh.  He seems so excited about Thor comics, and turning them into movies.
    Dreditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dreditz

Loved it!

Fetts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Fetts

Twas an awesome movie. 

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By joshmightbe

Thor has made 242 million dollars world wide add in the 66 million it's made its opening weekend in the U.S. the total comes to 308 million and yet people are still asking it is going to be successful, why? It's made more than double what it costs to make, Any business would consider that a successful product. that's literally a more than 100% percent profit and its still making more money so anyone who doesn't consider this a success has far too high standards 

maxicere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By maxicere

I see this movie, I don't like this movie... For me, it's not THOR.. it's an alternative version...

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#49  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

anybody watch the Asylum knockoff the Almighty Thor? it is god awful blegh, whiny emo Thor with horrible special affects and a desiccated Richard Grieco as Loki...

Rixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Rixon

thanks for sharing , i have just watch that movie .

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.