Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8598 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Unworthy Thor #5 Discussion (Spoilers)

• 135 results
    Avatar image for genjiunstoppablemiracle
    genjiunstoppablemiracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

idont like this all new ultimate thor.

better for jason aaron make original thor take ultimate mjolnir and later he gonna had back his original mjolnir make him dual wield hammer later in future king thor gonna give his ultimate mjolnir one of his 3 granddaughter thunder girls.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Goddesses_of_Thunder_(Earth-14412)

jason aaron make big very mistake all newfans and oldfans might bite him.

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@thorthunder98: @newworldorder: I'm so glad I'm not the only one who didn't want to see Thor pick up the 1610 hammer. I've honestly never liked 1610 Thor or his hammer. I want the proper 616 Thor Odinson, my favorite superhero back in his proper place.

Agreed.

genjiunstoppablemiracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is "War THOR".

http://www.newsarama.com/images/i/000/193/857/original/THOR2015020_CVR.jpg

is that look like odin the beard and eye or maybe not odin.

if that odin them call him ultimate odin.

ThunderPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow....I'm just speechless, that is the most horrible thing I've ever seen.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, from the beginning of this I've been saying it would be nothing but a tease to get fans anticipating Thor's return in some fashion only to dash those hopes and have someone else claim the 1610 hammer. Yet another big F U from Arron and Marvel.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spoilers....

No Caption Provided

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#57 god_spawn  Moderator

insecurity did this to Thor? Good job, Marvel.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

insecurity did this to Thor? Good job, Marvel.

damn right! you aint worthy if your being insecure! hahaha.. expecting a BS.and yes it was what aaron gave us. thought he would somehow pull something good.but fail

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Just read it and I have mixed emotions it seems he's somewhat back to being Thor and didn't pick up the hammer which I'm fine with I would rather we know for certain if he's worthy again but whatever. I like that he's back to calling himself Thor and not Odinson he showed some good power basically one shotting the black order. But the whole arc was anti-climactic he didn't even fight Thanos in the end there was no big battle that was weird. Also still think the whisper is utter bullshit and that there is another new "Thor" likely Odin so Aaron is still a pile of shit

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oooooh were getting another person claiming they are Thor. Interesting we have 3 Thors running around now( it's getting worse like having 5 Spider People)

Well we have our answer Gorr won the fight in the end lol. Only humans are worthy not gods which explains why Odin couldn't pick it up as well.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@titing2101: Covers mean nothing. Sure this cover had a fight between him an Thanos.

Did you see the fight?

Grayhold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oooooh were getting another person claiming they are Thor. Interesting we have 3 Thors running around now( it's getting worse like having 5 Spider People)

Well we have our answer Gorr won the fight in the end lol. Only humans are worthy not gods which explains why Odin couldn't pick it up as well.

Actually, Odin wasn't capable of picking up Mjolnir, because Nick Fury had changed the enchantment on hammer, so that only worthy females can lift it.

After all Fury said two whispers one to Mjolnir, the other one to Thor.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By TrueMarvel

This is actually worse than I could have ever imagined. How to begin?!

Disclaimer: I actually like Thors axe MORE than the mjolnir. My issue with Thor being unworthy is that they depict him as less powetful (which shouldn't be the case), and he was not only kicked out his own book and name but they didn't even give him an on-going solo series. If there can be multiple captain America's I don't mind their being more than one person wielding A hammer. So in short, aversion to the idea of Thor not having his weapon does not influence my view of this arc.

Spoilers below

What Nick whispered to Thor is problematic on so many different levels. The truthiness of the statement doesn't matter. Whether it's right or wrong doesn't matter.

-It reveals that Thor's unworthiness is completely and utterly psychological. It has nothing to do with anything of substance. It's essentially insecurity and pessimism. It SHOULDN'T change the enchantment on the hammer. It SHOULDN'T change how the universe works. it was mind games the whole time. Thor having self-esteem issues have NOTHING to do with the hammer's purpose. The problem with that though, is that it INVALIDATES the entire reason to write the Unworthy Thor mini-series. If Thor believes what Nick Fury said is True, then he would have never attempted to get his hammer back from Jane in the first place. Not only that, he should never have considered the other gods as suspects in Thor girls identity mystery.

-What Nick Fury said should have had absolutely no baring on All father Odin's ability to pick up the Hammer!!! Playing mind games with Thor has nothing to do with Odin picking up his own damn hammer. Marvel and Aaron never had ANY idea what Nick Fury said. They just needed to make an agenda. The whisper said nothing. Only later on did they come up with anything. Nick Fury saying it should not have changed the universe. Odinson believing it should not have changed the universe.

- Why does it take Nick Fury saying it to make Thor Unworthy even though Gorr said the same thing to Thor? Why didn't it make him Unworthy when he fought Gorr? It's like an opinion dude. LITERALLY. Gorr and Nick fury's OPINION should not actually change the Marvel Universe as we know it. If no gods are worthy than WHY IN THE HELL WAS Mjolnir wielded by gods exclusively for thousands of years! Did the Hammer suddenly change it's mind? What actions on the gods part made the Hammer no longer able to be wielded by gods?

- What Nick Fury said implies that no gods are worthy of the hammer(s). Meaning that only non gods will have the hammer for the foreseeable future. That's just stupid. Period. It's actually a catch-22. The Hammer makes people into gods! If no god is worthy than guess what? The Hammer is creating a being that is inherently unworthy of it by default. So in actuality, the idea that gods are unworthy of the hammer is rejected by the very purpose of the hammer. It only reinforce the fact, that this is all in Odinson's head.

- Ultimate War Thor is just wow. THEY ALREADY DID THIS. A new mystery person claims the hammer that OG Thor couldn't or refused to pick up. We've been over this! It's a rehash! Not only that, Marevl didn't just mislead us. They outright lied. So many promotions with Odinson with the Ultimate Hammer. Hell, they even have phone games that made it an alternative skin!

-They've written Thor into a narrative wall. How in the hell do you come back to wielding the hammer in a way that isn't stupid? You CAN'T! Because the crux of the matter is, that Gorr's/Nick's statement is an opinion. So I guess a lecture from someone will fix Thor's self-esteem? If Thor had actually done something wrong maybe this idea would make sense. If the gods collectively had done something wrong maybe this idea would make sense. But no. Thor even briefly wielded the hammer before the start of Secret Wars!!!!!! Did he suddenly believe the gods were worthy then?

This is the terrible part. Marvel just cant help destroying it's own characters. Disrespecting their characters. Character assassinating their characters. When will it end? Mary Jane x Peter is never coming back? Emma frost is willing to commit genocide because her boyfriend died? Captain Marvel is a fascist? Captain America is a neo-nazi? Tony Stark is not a Stark? The Fantastic four was written out of Marvel? When will this era of Marvel end?

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By titing2101

@truemarvel said:

This is actually worse than I could have ever imagined. How to begin?!

Spoilers below

What Nick whispered to Thor is problematic on so many different levels. The truthiness of the statement doesn't matter. Whether it's right or wrong doesn't matter.

-It reveals that Thor's unworthiness is completely and utterly psychological. It has nothing to do with anything of substance. It's essentially insecurity and pessimism. It SHOULDN'T change the enchantment on the hammer. It SHOULDN'T change how the universe works. it was mind games the whole time. Thor having self-esteem issues have NOTHING to do with the hammer's purpose. The problem with that though, is that it INVALIDATES the entire reason to write the Unworthy Thor mini-series. If Thor believes what Nick Fury said is True, then he would have never attempted to get his hammer back from Jane in the first place. Not only that, he should never have considered the other gods as suspects in Thor girls identity mystery.

-What Nick Fury said should have had absolutely no baring on All father Odin's ability to pick up the Hammer!!! Playing mind games with Thor has nothing to do with Odin picking up his own damn hammer. Marvel and Aaron never had ANY idea what Nick Fury said. They just needed to make an agenda. The whisper said nothing. Only later on did they come up with anything. Nick Fury saying it should not have changed the universe. Odinson believing it should not have changed the universe.

- Why does it take Nick Fury saying it to make Thor Unworthy even though Gorr said the same thing to Thor? Why didn't it make him Unworthy when he fought Gorr? It's like an opinion dude. LITERALLY. Gorr and Nick fury's OPINION should not actually change the Marvel Universe as we know it. If no gods are worthy than WHY IN THE HELL WAS Mjolnir wielded by gods exclusively for thousands of years! Did the Hammer suddenly change it's mind? What actions on the gods part made the Hammer no longer able to be wielded by gods?

- What Nick Fury said implies that no gods are worthy of the hammer(s). Meaning that only non gods will have the hammer for the foreseeable future. That's just stupid. Period. It's actually a catch-22. The Hammer makes people into gods! If no god is worthy than guess what? The Hammer is creating a being that is inherently unworthy of it by default. So in actuality, the idea that gods are unworthy of the hammer is rejected by the very purpose of the hammer. It only reinforce the fact, that this is all in Odinson's head.

- Ultimate War Thor is just wow. THEY ALREADY DID THIS. A new mystery person claims the hammer that OG Thor couldn't or refused to pick up. We've been over this! It's a rehash! Not only that, Marevl didn't just mislead us. They outright lied. So many promotions with Odinson with the Ultimate Hammer. Hell, they even have phone games that made it an alternative skin!

-They've written Thor into a narrative wall. How in the hell do you come back to wielding the hammer in a way that isn't stupid? You CAN'T! Because the crux of the matter is, that Gorr's/Nick's statement is an opinion. So I guess a lecture from someone will fix Thor's self-esteem? If Thor had actually done something wrong maybe this idea would make sense. If the gods collectively had done something wrong maybe this idea would make sense. But no. Thor even briefly wielded the hammer before the start of Secret Wars!!!!!! Did he suddenly believe the gods were worthy then?

This is the terrible part. Marvel just cant help destroying it's own characters. Disrespecting their characters. Character assassinating their characters. When will it end? Mary Jane x Peter is never coming back? Emma frost is willing to commit genocide because her boyfriend died? Captain Marvel is a fascist? Captain America is a neo-nazi? Tony Stark is not a Stark? The Fantastic four was written out of Marvel? When will this era of Marvel end?

amen!

and where the heck is the thor vs thanos fight? lol

aaron with its retcon of mjolnir and this whisper makes it even more complicated.

i think he retconned mjolnir to be sentient so it can pick who can wield it,thats why odin cant.

this whole unworthy story is a mess. badly planned. PR stunt to begin with. the story and retconning contradict each other.

who choses who is worthy? enchantment? thor? mother storm?

who is in control of mjolnir? odin? mother storm?

Thor comics going another level down the drain

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tensor said:

@titing2101: Covers mean nothing. Sure this cover had a fight between him an Thanos.

Did you see the fight?

well i was really hoping for it. hoping for something good. been years without a good thor comics.so i was expecting something from this mini series. but yeah.. aaron..

genjiunstoppablemiracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titing2101 said:

amen!

and where the heck is the thor vs thanos fight? lol

yea i agree with That

jason aaron he break his promise

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grayhold: Odin is a god and as Odinson said Gods are not worthy therefore Odin isn't worthy. And this he couldn't pick up the Hammer on the Moon.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e0c61aba21e
    deactivated-60e0c61aba21e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newworldorder: the issue was kinda okay for me today considering that he doesn't need the hammer and one shotted the black order including hela with a lightning bolt ,at least he doesn't need any freaking hammer to manipulate lightning this powerful and I don't mind him keeping the axe.

Grayhold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Grayhold

@grayhold: Odin is a god and as Odinson said Gods are not worthy therefore Odin isn't worthy. And this he couldn't pick up the Hammer on the Moon.

What i said about Fury changing the enchantment on hammer, that only worthy females can lift it has actually been shown in comics, in fact in Thor comics, after Fury does that whisper we see that the "HE" part of the enchantment change into "SHE", so my point still stands valid.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nick Fury should have PROVED Gorr was right. That's how you fix the thematic elements of this arc. There is no catalyst! Thor or the gods collectively should have caused this through an unforgivable action. Having bad personality traits (vengeful for instance) is not god exclusive and not all gods are. What a generalisation!

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mowjack: Yeah, issue wasn't so bad. Thor doing what he did showed that he's still a powerhouse without his hammer which goes with everything I thought. The way they handled the whisper could have been better, but as I said to Lvenger, it could've been a lot worst. I hope finally people who always thought Thor needed Mjolnir to manipulate lightning can finally see that is not the case.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newworldorder: he nearly one shotted hela that's a noteworthy feat ,i am glad that he didn't lift the hammer it would be awful then let's see how he is going to fare without the hammer btw how did he teleport Asgard?

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By uugieboogie

@newworldorder said:

@mowjack: Yeah, issue wasn't so bad. Thor doing what he did showed that he's still a powerhouse without his hammer which goes with everything I thought. The way they handled the whisper could have been better, but as I said to Lvenger, it could've been a lot worst. I hope finally people who always thought Thor needed Mjolnir to manipulate lightning can finally see that is not the case.

Yeah I liked this bit too.

And I prefer him not getting Ultimate Mjolnir, I just don't want to see him flying around on goats all the time either lol. I had it feeling his unworthiness was going to have something to do with Gorr but as someone said above, Gorr saying Gods aren't worthy and Nick Fury saying he was right is literally an opinion. Maybe if they actually shown something to make that true but there's Gods in MU like Thor, Hercules, Sif etc so how are all Gods just not worthy? I was annoyed with how misleading the cover was and I'm pretty pissed Thor isn't going to have his own solo but Jane and this "War Thor" will.

Edit: How did Thor teleport Ultimate Mjolnir, BRB and himself?

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mowjack: Agreed, a very impressive feat. I'm glad too, I hate the Ultimate hammer. I believe the Ultimate Hammer teleported him there if I am correct.

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least Thanos found his Ms. New Booty. THAT was a nice surprise!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newworldorder: so at the end of the issue someone else lifts the hammer many here seem to think it's Odin though it's possible I highly doubt it.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormphoenix said:

No it doesn't...

No Caption Provided

I don't know anything in fiction more forced and contradictory that Aaron's take on Thor after that whisper...

Avatar image for thunderingthorfan
    ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newworldorder said:

And I prefer him not getting Ultimate Mjolnir, I just don't want to see him flying around on goats all the time either lol. I had it feeling his unworthiness was going to have something to do with Gorr but as someone said above, Gorr saying Gods aren't worthy and Nick Fury saying he was right is literally an opinion. Maybe if they actually shown something to make that true but there's Gods in MU like Thor, Hercules, Sif etc so how are all Gods just not worthy? I was annoyed with how misleading the cover was and I'm pretty pissed Thor isn't going to have his own solo but Jane and this "War Thor" will.

I'm going to have to cast some doubt upon whether or not this definitively proves Thor is able to (at least from Aaron's/Marvel's point of view) manipulate lightning of his own accord without Mjolnir... just looked at those scans and he's definitely in the vicinity of the 1610 Mjolnir, so it leaves open the possibility he's simply tapped into that hammer's power to blast the Black Order out into space. This certainly won't change the opinions of Thor haters and battle forum trolls.

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mowjack said:

@newworldorder: so at the end of the issue someone else lifts the hammer many here seem to think it's Odin though it's possible I highly doubt it.

I don't think it's Odin. He's still locked up in Asgard with Frigga.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to have to cast some doubt upon whether or not this definitively proves Thor is able to (at least from Aaron's/Marvel's point of view) manipulate lightning of his own accord without Mjolnir... just looked at those scans and he's definitely in the vicinity of the 1610 Mjolnir, so it leaves open the possibility he's simply tapped into that hammer's power to blast the Black Order out into space. This certainly won't change the opinions of Thor haters and battle forum trolls.

I'm not sure about that. You definitely see it channeling from his hand. I think this is Aaron showing that Thor doesn't need Mjolnir which is something he's said IIRC.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical said:

I'm not sure about that. You definitely see it channeling from his hand. I think this is Aaron showing that Thor doesn't need Mjolnir which is something he's said IIRC.

I'm guessing it could go either way, but that we're not going to get a straight answer that settles the matter one way or another for the foreseeable future.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Mooty_Pass

@asgaard: Well my friend I don't know what to say to you, but that's what Marvel is saying and making it a fact.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: That's before the Retcon. Odinson is telling us Gods themselves are not Worthy And Humans are.

What retcon!?! That is from Axis that was after the whisper...

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie said:
    @newworldorder said:

Thor has used lightning without Mjolnir on many occasions, though. This isn't the first time he's done it. An example would be from Loki: Agent of Asgard #9, where he calls down a massive lightning bolt to strike Loki who actually became worthy to lift Mjolnir during the Red Skull switcharoo.

He's done so in Thor: Blood Oath #3 when he couldn't break a hold Hercules had him in and was on the brink of passing out.

In Thor: God Of Thunder #13, he's even generated lightning in his fist to strike Malekith.

No Caption Provided

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: I was referring to the power Mjolnir is a host to the Mother Storm. If Odinson says that Gods are not worthy and Jane picks up the hammer who is not a God, but human means only humans who are worthy can pick the Hammer up.

But if that scan you presented is before Axis then it's just a contradictory.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@mowjack said:

I don't think it's Odin. He's still locked up in Asgard with Frigga.

No Caption Provided

Looks like Odin to me.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newworldorder: Yeah, I'm aware Thor has used lightning and other weather manipulation powers without (at least holding) Mjolnir in the past, and even with Aaron as the writer, but the way it's been since the whisper that's been severely called into question.

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newworldorder: Yeah, I'm aware Thor has used lightning and other weather manipulation powers without (at least holding) Mjolnir in the past, and even with Aaron as the writer, but the way it's been since the whisper that's been severely called into question.

Yeah, but this issue we pretty much saw Thor believe in himself more. It seems he can manipulate the weather when he used it to attack Hela, Proxima Midnight, and Black Swan.

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I agree it looks like Odin, but that seems too obvious. I feel like they want us to think it's him, but it's actually not. I feel it's just some old warrior, who could happen to be an old Asgardian.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By antithetical

@antithetical said:

Yeah, but this issue we pretty much saw Thor believe in himself more. It seems he can manipulate the weather when he used it to attack Hela, Proxima Midnight, and Black Swan.

I'll have to check out more scans from this issue then.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By uugieboogie

@antithetical said:

Yeah but before even becoming worthy he was able to call down lightning strong enough to cause Gorr pain. He could even make it rain fire and lightning on a planet where other storm gods couldn't even make a cloud appear. The beginning of this series made no sense.

Laiks Stake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: Thor was born god of thunder, he never needed Mjolnir to do that, with Aaron or without him.

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical said:

Yeah but before even becoming worthy he was able to call down lightning strong enough to cause Gorr pain. He could even make it rain fire and lightning on a planet where other storm gods couldn't even make a cloud appear. The beginning of this series made no sense.

It's like Thor is forgetting he didn't have Mjolnir his entire life. I feel the writers are contradicting themselves by showing Young Thor being able to control the weather, but Unworthy Older Thor unable to because he's upset he lost his weapon. Doesn't make much sense.

Laiks Stake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And someone must kick Aaron from Thor series.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie: Yeah, read those issues a while back, but Aaron has been set upon butchering Thor's established canon for quite some time now, so it's difficult to really know where things stand in current continuity.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By uugieboogie

@jonny_anonymous: I agree it looks like Odin, but that seems too obvious. I feel like they want us to think it's him, but it's actually not. I feel it's just some old warrior, who could happen to be an old Asgardian.

I can't think of anyone else it could be though, especially with the eye hole shaded out like there's not one. I hope it isn't Odin though, it would be stupid as hell for Odin to want or need his sons power.

Grayhold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#MakeThorGreatAgain

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie said:
    @antithetical said:

It's like Thor is forgetting he didn't have Mjolnir his entire life. I feel the writers are contradicting themselves by showing Young Thor being able to control the weather, but Unworthy Older Thor unable to because he's upset he lost his weapon. Doesn't make much sense.

Aaron will probably explain with some sort of mental or emotional struggle.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.