Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8640 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Thor/Asgardian Run Popularity Contest

• 152 results
    Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I've got 14 of the most notable/best Thor and Asgardian writers included based on their time/influence on the character or if I just like them. You can judge off writing, art, characters, whatever you want really.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Round 1: Tom Defalco vs Lee/Kirby

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Tom Defalco: Thor #383-459, Thor Corps #1-4, Thunderstrike #1-24

Lee/Kirby: Journey into Mystery #83-125, Thor #126-181

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By blackspidey2099

I’m voting for Lee/Kirby as well, Defalco was never one of my favorite Thor runs. In general I’ve never really liked any of the Thor replacements, and honestly I’d even take Jane Thor over Masterson Thor.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By takenstew22  Moderator

I feel like Defalco's Thor is underrated. I might be biased because he's what got me into Thor in the first place, but I also really love Ron Frenz's art, probably 2nd only to Ron Lim as one of my favorite Marvel artists. So yeah, I'm choosing Defalco.

lichvanastrea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never gotten the chance to read the older Thor comics yet, but I know that anything with Lee and Kirby together is considered a classic.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Tom DeFalco's run deserves more credit, it's good, however Stan Lee's is simply better.

My vote goes for Lee/Kirby.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Like a few others said, Defalco/Frenz run deserves more credit but Lee/Kirby is definitely better

Avatar image for lazarus4tempest
    lazarus4tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Lee/ Kirby is it really debatable?

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kevd4wg

I'll admit before I made this I didn't really know Conway did a run on Thor, but I actually enjoy quite a few of the stories he wrote, though I haven't read the run in full. I will always be a cosmic Marvel Fan more than I'm a Thor fan and I like Surfer/Galactus more than Thor so Conway's run does have a special place where I think he's the best Thor writer in terms of Galactus and his Heralds on Thor, where I normally feel their characterization isn't great. He also introduced Fire-Lord who is easily the 2nd best herald after Surfer with the only other one coming close is Stardust(Which is gonna come in play later). However as much as I like what Conway did with Galactus and his heralds, the better Thor run here is obviously JMS so I'm voting fo rhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JMS, even though it never properly wrapped up and it was extremely short. The sheer quality we got from the 17 issues of Thor he wrote (plus 2 issue prologue in FF) is nigh unmatched. One of the best Marvel titles writing wise, Coipel’s art just seals the deal.

So JMS without a doubt.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 takenstew22  Moderator

I didn't read JMS's run yet, but I did read half of Conway's run. I especially liked the arc where Thor goes to find Sif and Karnilla in the Dark Nebula.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JMS is probably my second fave Thor run, so it's gotta be him.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JMS

Avatar image for deactivated-6025c60aa67c8
    deactivated-6025c60aa67c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@kevd4wg: I'm going with JMS' run. Also please tag me

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JMS

ChampionJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kevd4wg
    Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I have to go for Aaron. The God Butcher is easily a top 3 Thor story for me, and the issue that immediately followed is imo the greatest Thor issue of all time. Now that Aaron's run is complete, I think a lot of stuff I did not like in the past retroactively becomes a lot more manageable as Aaron was trying to teach Thor a lesson that most people thought Thor already knew.

Also Gorr is the best Thor villain other than Loki so that's basically an autowin as well.

lazarus4tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as it pains me to admit it Aaron takes this round... Bloodyhell

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you encapsulate Jason Aaron's run solely into GOT #1-24+King Thor #1-4 it is easily one of the best runs of all time tbh. God Butcher and the King Thor book are IMO two of the best Thor story arcs ever made, then you have stuff like War of the Realms that if you simply take away Jane's involvement and the mother storm it instantly becomes pretty good, and stuff like Unworthy Thor that was really good as well, you have an A+ run.

Sadly, that is only like half of the run, the other half is some of the worst shit Thor comics have ever seen and it has damaged his mythos in a really big way that will be hard to come out of, then add his petty attitude and constant insults at his detractors, Jason Aaron is the most detestable writer in the industry.

Anyway, my vote goes for Aaron, because when he does good stuff, he is simply unparalleled (he is also unparalleled in how bad his bad stuff is as well lol).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aaron stomps, it isn’t even a competition

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aaron for sure imo

lichvanastrea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, now Jason Aaron's run on Thor is something I actually read and it was really good. Aside from the whole Jane Foster run (which honestly wasn't as bad as some make it to be), the War of the Realms, Unworthy Thor and Gorr storylines were top notch.

lazarus4tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lazarus4tempest

If you encapsulate Jason Aaron's run solely into GOT #1-24+King Thor #1-4 it is easily one of the best runs of all time tbh. God Butcher and the King Thor book are IMO two of the best Thor story arcs ever made, then you have stuff like War of the Realms that if you simply take away Jane's involvement and the mother storm it instantly becomes pretty good, and stuff like Unworthy Thor that was really good as well, you have an A+ run.

Sadly, that is only like half of the run, the other half is some of the worst shit Thor comics have ever seen and it has damaged his mythos in a really big way that will be hard to come out of, then add his petty attitude and constant insults at his detractors, Jason Aaron is the most detestable writer in the industry.

Anyway, my vote goes for Aaron, because when he does good stuff, he is simply unparalleled (he is also unparalleled in how bad his bad stuff is as well lol).

What he said.... No lies there.... No lies

ChampionJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aaron wins 8-0

Roy Thomas: Thor #272-301

No Caption Provided

VS

Matt Fraction: Thor: Ages of Thunder, Secret Invasion: Thor #1-3, Thor #615-621, Mighty Thor #1-22, Fear Itself #1-7

No Caption Provided

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This one is interesting for me because I really haven't read Roy Thomas Thor, only tiny bits and pieces, yet on the other hand, I don't like Fraction's Thor. I think a lot of the other stuff he wrote that wasn't his main Thor title was a lot better than his Thor title(like Secret Invasion for example), but when it comes to his main title it just felt... off to me. One thing that sticks out to me is that I don't like Fraction's characterization of a lot of different characters - Thor, Galactus, Odin, Surfer(whose one of my favorite characters ever) all just feel off, and that's particularly a problem when one of them is the main character in the book. Plus the run overall is just kinda boring and forgettable outside of the Seed arc and Fear Itself imo.

Thor is a certified badass under Fraction though, which I have to give him credit for, but on the other hand... I've read Odin vs the Celestials and that shit was awesome so I'm voting for Roy Thomas.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By takenstew22  Moderator

Haven't read Matt Fraction, but Roy Thomas is probably my favorite classic Thor writer.

lazarus4tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Matt has a few things about his run that seems a bit underwhelming & makes no sense ,it has a lot of winning factors but the bad ones just can't be overlooked to give him the win.. I'll give it to Roy

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Roy Thomas, great classic run.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd probably say Fraction edges it out for me since I'm a huge Fear Itself fan.

Avatar image for deactivated-6025c60aa67c8
    deactivated-6025c60aa67c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

ChampionJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg said:

This one is interesting for me because I really haven't read Roy Thomas Thor, only tiny bits and pieces, yet on the other hand, I don't like Fraction's Thor. I think a lot of the other stuff he wrote that wasn't his main Thor title was a lot better than his Thor title(like Secret Invasion for example), but when it comes to his main title it just felt... off to me. One thing that sticks out to me is that I don't like Fraction's characterization of a lot of different characters - Thor, Galactus, Odin, Surfer(whose one of my favorite characters ever) all just feel off, and that's particularly a problem when one of them is the main character in the book. Plus the run overall is just kinda boring and forgettable outside of the Seed arc and Fear Itself imo.

Thor is a certified badass under Fraction though, which I have to give him credit for, but on the other hand... I've read Odin vs the Celestials and that shit was awesome so I'm voting for Roy Thomas.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me, Kieron Gillen is the greatest writer Thor's supporting cast has ever gotten. While he didn't have that much focus on Thor, so many characters got more development under Gillen then they have under any other writer. Volstagg got his best development in a few issues, Tyr became an actual character, Garden of Eden and Godhunter are both incredible Bill stories, just edged out by Stormbreaker for the best, Siege: Loki and Journey Into Mystery Redefined Loki completely(and for the better imo), and Asgard's Assassin defined Angela when she was sorta in a limbo before and is still the best comic she's appeared in.

His Thor may not have done all too much, but we still got cool moments like the Ragnarok fight, a call back to Gaea actually being his mother, and the Disir were a cool creation that I hope show up more.

To be honest, writing down everything Gillen's done for Thor, I think he's a serious contender for one of the best Asgardian writers out there and definitely the single most underrated Thor writer - I'm voting for him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gillen for reasons the post above shared ^

But Landrige’s Thor is also a gem.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg said:

To me, Kieron Gillen is the greatest writer Thor's supporting cast has ever gotten. While he didn't have that much focus on Thor, so many characters got more development under Gillen then they have under any other writer. Volstagg got his best development in a few issues, Tyr became an actual character, Garden of Eden and Godhunter are both incredible Bill stories, just edged out by Stormbreaker for the best, Siege: Loki and Journey Into Mystery Redefined Loki completely(and for the better imo), and Asgard's Assassin defined Angela when she was sorta in a limbo before and is still the best comic she's appeared in.

His Thor may not have done all too much, but we still got cool moments like the Ragnarok fight, a call back to Gaea actually being his mother, and the Disir were a cool creation that I hope show up more.

To be honest, writing down everything Gillen's done for Thor, I think he's a serious contender for one of the best Asgardian writers out there and definitely the single most underrated Thor writer - I'm voting for him.

Excellent post... To me the best in a long time here in Thor threads...

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg said:

this.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Thor-Parker

Kieron Gillen easily, he had an excellent grasp on Thor's mythos and handled him pretty well, it's a shame he stayed so little on the title, I would have preferred if he had stayed for years instead of Matt Fraction, things may have been very different now.

Also, when one searches online for some of the best Thor stories, The Mighty Avenger by Roger Landridge is a recurrent one and I have no idea why, it was boring, cartoonish, and childish for the most part, it had some strong elements but they were overshadowed by the cringe stories and characterizations.

ChampionJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kieron Gillen easily, he had an excellent grasp on Thor's mythos and handled him pretty well, it's a shame he stayed so little on the title, I would have preferred if he had stayed for years instead of Matt Fraction, things may have been very different now.

Also, when one searches online for some of the best Thor stories, The Mighty Avenger by Roger Landridge is a recurrent one and I have no idea why, it was boring, cartoonish, and childish for the most part, it had some strong elements but they were overshadowed by the cringe stories and characterizations.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.