Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8586 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Thor and mjolnir

mm24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mm24

Is mjolnir an extension of Thor or is it the other way around? does the hammer amplify his power or does he channel his power through the hammer or is it both? Or is he just a coward hiding behind his all purpose battle weapon lol? I am not a big thor reader, unless its avengers or something like that, can someone with extensive knowledge of thor help me out?

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Kallarkz
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Gambit1024

I believe nowadays its both, but when he was first introduced, it was all about mjolnir. In the 60's, if Thor were to let go of the hammer for more than a minute, he'd return back to his human guise. Talk about a lame weakness. Now I think they've ditched that idea completely and made it so he can still get by without mjolnir, but if he has it he can do WAAAAY more. I could be wrong, but that's how I think it works.

Chibcha1810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Chibcha1810
    @Gambit1024 said:

I believe nowadays its both, but when he was first introduced, it was all about mjolnir. In the 60's, if Thor were to let go of the hammer for more than a minute, he'd return back to his human guise. Talk about a lame weakness. Now I think they've ditched that idea completely and made it so he can still get by without mjolnir, but if he has it he can do WAAAAY more. I could be wrong, but that's how I think it works.

It's like that, I'm pretty sure. I think it's just a channeler.
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#5  Edited By Deadcool

Mjornir in Marvel comics is a weapon that has the power of Thor, without the Hammer he is a human, the Doctor Donald Blake or Eric Masterson, etc...

Mjornir seems to be the key of a lot of Thor powers like Teleportation, forcefields, etc, but he has shown powers like weather control without using the hammer, so I think that the hammer, Mjolnir, just help him to focus his powers.

Also Mjolnir is an extention or Thor's soul, if the hammer breaks, then thor could probably die (nevermind, he is already dead =P).

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    AtraCruor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AtraCruor

Mjolnir was as has been said, the key for Donald Blake to become Thor at first. But it was eventually taken away and he eventually was simply Thor. The weakness came back a bit for volume 2 when he was bonded to the body of Jake Olsen but they were eventually separated and he became a singular being again. As far as his powers it helps focus his weather powers but he doesn't need it to do anything that he has done. However with it he does have access to many more abilities such as the Anti-Force blasts, thermo blasts, force fields, flight, etc. Thor's soul being bonded to it was just recently because there wasn't a way to really repair it by Dr. Strange's hand without doing so.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @Deadcool said:

Mjornir in Marvel comics is a weapon that has the power of Thor, without the Hammer he is a human,

This is false^
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Deadcool

@TheGoldenOne said:

@Deadcool said:

Mjornir in Marvel comics is a weapon that has the power of Thor, without the Hammer he is a human,

This is false^

Actually, if Thor is 60 seconds without the hammer he turns into Blake, a Mortal, a Human...

No Caption Provided
    TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @Deadcool: Thor hasn't had that weakness in a really long time.  He is still a god without his hammer.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Gambit1024

@TheGoldenOne said:

@Deadcool: Thor hasn't had that weakness in a really long time. He is still a god without his hammer.

Yeah, I thought they got rid of that too.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Deadcool

@TheGoldenOne: @Gambit1024:

But he still needing the cane to transform into Thor...

Transforming into Thor
    Transforming into Thor
    vidarrodinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By vidarrodinson

The hammer had the power originally. Beta Ray Bill, Dargo, Red Norvell,Captain America and Donald Blake received enchantment from the hammer. A writer for reasons unknown, had Thor using power from within. They never built on what they started so it is a dilemma. There were several senarios where this could have been used. I think they backed off.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @Deadcool said:

@TheGoldenOne: @Gambit1024:

But he still needing the cane to transform into Thor...

Transforming into Thor
    Transforming into Thor
    He doesn't need or use the cane anymore either.
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Deadcool

@TheGoldenOne said:

He doesn't need or use the cane anymore either.

WAIT! WHAT?!!!! Since when? Do I missed something with Fraction's Run?

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Kallarkz

Blake does need a cane now after an injury he suffered in an early #600 issue.

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Malevolent1

Okay. Initially, when the character was first created, Thor was supposed to be the foremost, be all end all, last line of defense for planet earth superhero. He was Marvel's version of Superman. He had strength and durability to match (and in some cases exceed) the Hulk. Initially, Mjolnir was painted as the weapon that allowed Thor his magical/mystical powers (on one occasion putting him on par with Dr Strange) and his ability to control the weather. In later years, it was indicated that Mjolnir simply channeled, or focused, these mystical and weather control powers that he was born with.

In the last decade, Marvel seems to be indicating that all Thor's power is largely tied to the hammer.

Such is NOT the case from the characters beginning. One of many reasons I no longer read Thor.

jay_z94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jay_z94

I think he has the powers without mjolnir... which would make sense as he is a GOD after all.

boostergold321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By boostergold321

@Malevolent1 said:

Okay. Initially, when the character was first created, Thor was supposed to be the foremost, be all end all, last line of defense for planet earth superhero. He was Marvel's version of Superman. He had strength and durability to match (and in some cases exceed) the Hulk. Initially, Mjolnir was painted as the weapon that allowed Thor his magical/mystical powers (on one occasion putting him on par with Dr Strange) and his ability to control the weather. In later years, it was indicated that Mjolnir simply channeled, or focused, these mystical and weather control powers that he was born with.

In the last decade, Marvel seems to be indicating that all Thor's power is largely tied to the hammer.

Such is NOT the case from the characters beginning. One of many reasons I no longer read Thor.

The mystic hammer enhances his power but he can still shoot god lightning and use super strength and such without it.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Pyrogram

@jay_z94 said:

I think he has the powers without mjolnir... which would make sense as he is a GOD after all.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.