Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8598 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

SPOILER!! Infinity War feat analysis

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By coolcat4

So i wanted to discuss Thors feat when he held open the iris of the Forge. I believe this is a very good strength feat for Thor, but it is a little hard to determine the magnitude.

No Caption Provided

So from this we see The doors that are blocking the the energy of the neutron star. Which appear to be a minimum of hundreds to thousands of tons i am guessing. But for the calc i will use 1000 just for ease but it could be more or less (If we are taking into account that they have to block the energy from the star then they must be extremely dense and strong as well as thick)

From the picture see the distance that thor opens the iris. Now we know that thor is at least 6 feet tall and since thor is a good distance away from the iris we can jusde how far it has to open. The iris opens even further than this but i cannot get any clear shots. but just judge the iris appears to open at least 20 feet.

Thor only moves his arms about 1 foot.

We see that the mechanism is driven mechanically we can see the gears and everything. So by knowing the principals of mechanical advantage we know that if thor only moves 1 foot and the thing that gets moved, moves at least 20 feet than thor has to exert a force of at least 20 times greater. (There would be losses within the system do to friction and other factors making him have to exert more force.)

So without taking into account the gravitational affects this is a rough 20,000 ton feat. Could be much different. Also to note his arm position is not a very strong one and it is a lot harder than a regular curl. So using stronger muscles like legs or chest he would be able to move several times this in a good position.

But here comes the very iffy stuff. This is a neutron star and neutron star have gravity about 2 x 10^11 times earths gravity, as well as extremely extremely dense shells. Now if we take that into account this feat becomes unimaginable.

The doors are being acted on by the star and are blocking most of it. So that means they are under the effects of 2*10^11 gravity. So this becomes a feat of not 20,000 tons but 4e15 tons. and then the additional strain of the getting hit by the blast. Even i the doors weigh less and he moves it less it would still be ridiculous.

But i do not know if this should be taken seriously because it his so high and ridiculous. Take from it what you will.

Perpetr8rMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really nice

Perpetr8rMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to point out, the feat that follows this one looks remarkably like this

Gamer-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well done

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

This calculation is nonsense.

We have no idea what the mechanical advantage of the levers is because we don't know where the fulcrum is or how the machinery is constructed. Furthermore we have no idea what the gravitational effects are. You're just throwing a number out there for a weight, and weight wouldn't really apply in the way you are trying to use it. The gravitational pull is toward the star, perpendicular to the direction the metal is moving. Weight would only apply in the way you are applying it if the mass was being moved away from the star, which it is not.

There's a dozen flaws in this calculation.

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde: I note that many aspects would be very had to know for sure and that these are by no means real just hypothetical. But the point about mechanical advantage does not depend on the fulcrum or any of that. you can find the mechanical advantage based of of input and output forces or distances. Thats the whole point. And yes i did just pick numbers for the weight but i said i did that i said a range there is no way to know for sure. And it doesn't matter the orientation from the star that wasnt what i was trying to say. I dont even know if we should even take it serious no matter what it would exponentially increase the difficulty. Just based on the mass, friction and type of movement.

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't we all just agree that it was ridiculously strong?

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Psy4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't we all just agree that it was ridiculously strong?

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The durability aspect of the feat was more impressive than the strength aspect imo.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least Thor fans finally got a breath of fresh air OUTSIDE of comics. Thor was a freaking BEAST in Infinity Wars.

omriamar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No his universe level omnipotent being you got it wrong

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
    deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least Thor fans finally got a breath of fresh air OUTSIDE of comics. Thor was a freaking BEAST in Infinity Wars.

MalkavtheMaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Somehow I missed that Thor is not on the forge.. but on the star when he does his feat... which means that door is likely made of the super dense iron of the star.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By THORSON

THOR improved vastly in AIW. he went from powerhouse to GOD

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson said:

THOR improved vastly in AIW. he went from powerhouse to GOD

it was great lol at this math tho, thats my favorite way to get a chuckle outta the battle boards... the nerd math that is completely ignored by the own physics in the move.

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The funny bit is there are a lot of unknown mechanics to the feat. But then again this is a neutron star feat.

Thor is right next to a !@#$ing neutron star.

Thor is moving these giant, broken / frozen star-rings. Largely using his physical strength to both get the initial thrust, but then, absolutely anchoring himself to the ground / holding the ship he threw, to move these rings. Restarting the star he then face-tanks a direct blast of it's full power.

The whole thing could be made of indestructable magic tin, the effects on gravity could be largely negated by magic gravity devices, and it would still blow any feats we've scene in decades out of the water because...

It...

Is...

A...

Neutron...

!@#$ing...

Star.

Ofcourse, logic.

The materials:

They have to be super durable and super dense, super-heat-resistant and capable releasng it's energy entirely through the iris. They're not going to be super-light, because again, it's encasing and supporting the ring mechanism around this star. This is a massive strength feat and it took an interstellar space-ship's thrust +thor's own considerable strength to restart the star with this machine.

Tanking the star's energy:

The Dwarf calls repeatedly, I STRESS, repeatedly, states Thor is going to get hit with the full force of a star. By a machine designed to channel it's power.

Take the tiniest near dead neutron star, this is still a feat that would vaporize anyone under the sun outside comic heavy weights that can go into stars. This is a comic cosmic tier feat.

Thor did this in the MCU.

Holy cow. Remember when folks said he wasn't bullet proof? Oh lordy, hold this over their heads and smack it in their face over and over. Best power feat Thor's ever going to get.

Well, next to steam-rolling through the combined power of the Infinity Stones. With a hammer empowered by him. Yeah, Thor's OP.

People can and should lowball the hell out of this, because otherwise, Thor steamrolls most characters you put him infront of.

The writers did mention having a lot of physicists in the writing room during the scripting process, probably for both this feat and the Thanos Moon-feat later in the film. They'd be able to give better numbers on the specifics, but who cares? This feat is easily better than anything we've seen in a comic-based movie as far as durability or strength since Reeve's superman.

Beats the heck out of moving a boat on ice with an iron chain.

Yikesssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

The durability aspect of the feat was more impressive than the strength aspect imo.

I disagree. Both feats were incredible. That construct was enormous and made of metal, and Thor was able to hold it with his bare hands while being scorched alive by the heart of a dying star.

rrrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coolcat4: so how much lifting strength he has? small moon level or continent level

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.