Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8598 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Review: Ultimate Thor #1

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    Three periods of Thor's life are explored here: when he was a teenager battling Frost giants, when he was protecting Asgard from Nazis as an adult and when he was imprisoned by Captain Britain as an exile. 

The Good

It might sound odd to say that a book like this gives me a sense of nostalgia, but it honestly does. Hickman's terse writing, Pacheco's cinematic art and the sensible modernization/streamlining of long-establish elements of the Marvel universe bring me back to what was so exciting about the Ultimate line in the first place. Whether it's the real-world research backing Thor's floortop recreation of the Eddas or a depiction of Baron Zemo that's much more plausible (and thus, far creepier) than how he's traditionally been depicted... this is one of those rare comics that delivers on the high-concept concept and eye candy while still having such verisimilitude that it feels realer than few comics I've read.

The Bad

Not much, except that the frost giants looked a little silly wearing the SS uniforms at the end.  I can't imagine there being tailors crafty enough to sew outfits that are that enormous.

The Verdict - 5/5

I'm going to put this over the cliff for the rating because it represents a return to what I enjoyed so much about the Ultimate line. I feel like the line's lost its way a little, but this comic feels like an old blade that's been sharpened in a way you didn't think was possible. I really hope this is a sign of more to come in the Ultimate universe.
    ckal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By ckal

Whoa, nice. Glad you really enjoyed it. I've never read any Ultimate stuff, but I  might have to check this one out.

Altar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Altar

ultimate universe is amazing! glad to see this was good, ill have to check it out.

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By jefprice

I agree with you completely, this book was what the ultimate line was created for.

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Pizawle

Glad I decided to pick it up. It is my first Ultimate book and the only reason I was even interested was because the brilliant Johnathan Hickman is penning it. Great to hear such a positive reaction to it.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By sora_thekey

So what you are saying is that this is Ultimate Comics going back to it's roots...
    I have to read this then!

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By goldenkey

glad to see some focus is on the Ultimate U again.  It's actually the reason I got into a lot of the 616 characters.  I never like any of the Avengers or the FF before reading the Ultimate versions but that had to do a lot with Millar writing them.
    tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By tensor

love the stories for ultimate keep up the good work marvel

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LiquidSwords

Might have to pick this up. Been out of the loop with Marvel

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#9  Edited By cbishop

2 things: 
    1) Is that Thor's regular hammer, in the Ultimate U? 
    and 
    2) Is that picture from the first issue?

Ry Fryy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Ry Fryy

Bearded Thor ftw!

Captain Tick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Captain Tick
    @cbishop said:
    "

2 things: 
    1) Is that Thor's regular hammer, in the Ultimate U? 
    and 
    2) Is that picture from the first issue?

"

Regarding your first point, yeap that is Thor's regular hammer in the Ultimate U. Pretty cool if you ask me and i much prefer it to the 616 version.
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#12  Edited By cbishop
    @Captain Tick said:
    "Regarding your first point, yeap that is Thor's regular hammer in the Ultimate U. Pretty cool if you ask me and i much prefer it to the 616 version. "

Thanks.  I think it's cool looking too.
    Ry Fryy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Ry Fryy

Just picked this up and read it.. LOVED IT.  This could up being my favourite series out now.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.