Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8598 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

New to Thor comics

the_mighty_i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By the_mighty_i

I am new to Thor comics so can someone please give me a list of Thor comics in reading order.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By z3ro180

World Eaters, JMS run on thor, the mighty thor by matt fraction , age of thunder, son of Asgard and the most recent title thor god of thunder

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By New_World_Order

@Z3RO180 said:

World Eaters, JMS run on thor, the mighty thor by matt fraction , age of thunder, son of Asgard and the most recent title thor god of thunder

This

coltnelson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By coltnelson

@Z3RO180 said:

This

This, is not in reading order. All good stuff but not in order.

Reading order for recent Thor issues is kinda odd. JMS started his run with Thor Vol. 3 #1 - 13 (I think) but then from there the volume shifted to original numbering for the 600th issue and ran from 600 - 623 (I think) with Kieron Gillen taking over as writer starting around #604. Then the book shifted titles to "Journey Into Mystery" and Thor got a new title "The Mighty Thor" which ran for 22 issues by Matt Fraction. After that the most recent run (currently on going) is called "Thor: God of Thunder" written by Jason Aaron. Its currently up to issue 5.

Avatar image for fernando072295reborn
    Fernando072295REBORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can read Fraction's "Mighty Thor" if you really want to, but I'd personally just look at online scans for that. The story is so atrociously bad that it's hard to read. Well, the stories he wrote in and of themselves are good, the concepts are good, the dialogue is so absurdly bad and out of character for anyone other than psychotic blood and thunder Thor though that it made it almost unbearable for me lol. He regressed Thor to Ages of Thunder Thor basically, which he wrote well because that was the attitude Thor was supposed to have. Not adult, hero, ex king Thor though. JMS, Gillen, and current Aaron though are all very good reads that you should go for.

the_mighty_i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By the_mighty_i

Do any of theses comics have Thors origin etc

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Pyrogram

@the_mighty_i: http://www.comicvine.com/thor/29-2268/

the_mighty_i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By the_mighty_i

And are theses comics modern Thor because i have been looking at other reading orders and they have essential Thor or masterworks Thor etc

1000_monsters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By 1000_monsters

for Thor origin I would look for the Thor essentials Vol. 1. Then go to Thor #159, then Thor Annual #11. You might have to look these up in either the essentials collections or the marvel masterworks collections, although Thor annual #11 probably isn't to expensive. The I would suggest looking up the Thor: If Asgard Should Perish series or possibly jump ahead to the Thor: Ragnarok series to get some back story on Thor saving Asgard and his father all the while learning about Loki and his twisted ways to take control of Asgard. This should get you started from here you could probably read up on his involvement with the Avengers and then jump into any story you want. I would suggest buying the collected novels just cause I think you get the most for your money and all the issues for that story are right there.

1000_monsters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By 1000_monsters

Thor vol. 1 starts in the 60's and goes to the 90's then after that there's three more vol. that are all modern and then there's the modern journey into mystery. The graphic novels are best for old stuff though.

selinaky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By selinaky

I highly recommend Walt Simonson's run on Thor if you're looking for some classic stuff.

the_mighty_i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By the_mighty_i

But essential Thor volume 1 is not on comixology so instead should i read marvel masterworks Thor volume 1 as i heard they have the same stories. Also on comixology marvel masterworks Thor only goes to volume 1 so that comics are on there that has the same story.

KingOfAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KingOfAsh

Post Ragnarock

the_mighty_i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what is the most recent thor origin?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.