Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8598 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

My Problems with the Thor Movie (Possible Spoilers)

xMattxxrT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xMattxxrT

I know this might seem picky and i understand why they made the changes they did but some just didn't make sense, from a comic point of view.
    The main problem is the origin, it didn't follow the origin that stan wrote. Donald Blake, who's a lame medical physicist ( or something along those lines) goes into a cave and finds a cane which when he hit's a rock with he transforms into Thor! Not what was betrayed in to Movie, on earth he IS Thor...without his powers, he's not a doctor.
    2ndly If Thor is without his hammer for more than 60 seconds he turns back into Donald. In the movie he doesn't have his hammer for a majority of the time so he shouldn't be or look like Thor.
    Also Jane Foster is Donald's nurse in his practice, but in the Movie she a scientist and doesn't even work for Donald because he isn't even in it, the names used but it doesn't mean it's him.
    I can fully understand why they made the changes but it's not really subtle ones, they are quite big to the Origin.
    Comment telling me what you think.

vidarrodinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By vidarrodinson

I understand where you're coming from.  But you got to realize  the studio got to spin.  Would you want to see the invaders from Saturn?  The Destroyer scares me to death.  They made the right choice and a good business decision.
    xMattxxrT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xMattxxrT

they could have just twisted it to have to frost giants replace the invaders from Saturn, that would have made it similar, i fully agree with you, i loved the movie but i reread the earlier comics to refresh me but it just disappointed me, still it's the best marvel flick in years...in my opinion

allison_scag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By allison_scag

Studios often do changes to origins, and other minor character in already established stories to provide a new fresh take on the character for both newcomers, and fans familiar with the material. Also I can't 100% be sure, but I often believe that changes are made to the stories to avoid copyright; yes I know studios are given the right by the big names, but Its often on the basis to use the characters, not necessarily stories made by writers in their company. Anyway this is Allison Scagliotti signing off.
    ----------------------
    Btw be sure to show your support for me as Cassie Hack in the upcoming Hack/Slash film in whatever way possible whether its blogging,forming a facebook group, or  following allisonscag4Cassie on twitter. Rock on dudes and have a good night.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ssejllenrad

Would you rather have a pathetic teen version of Thor? *cough* Smallville *cough* Hehehehe!

I see your points and though I understand where your points, I have to partially disagree. Staying true with the comics is always a must with these films and for us comic fans, deviating from it comes close to unforgivable. But as vidarr has said, they needed to change things from a businessman's point of view. It wouldn't really be marketable to the modern audiences if they did the down to earth man that changes to a powerful god by striking a stick. Know that audiences today are shallow and beefiness trumps depth and basis-loyalty almost all the time.

Still, the movie was great!

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Donald Blake is the worst part about the Thor franchise. Getting rid of him was the best thing the movie could have done.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SC  Moderator

Really the spirit of reinvention for a modern era and audience makes these changes almost vital and in keeping with the spirit of why and how Marvel Thor was created. I am one of the nerdiest Thor fans around having read almost every issue he has been in. I would have had more and bigger problems if they didn't make these changes. Stan and King Kirby and Larry Lieber reinvented Thor the character, and made changes to him so people of that era could better grasp and enjoy the character. This movie does the exact same thing. Marvel's Thor would not be around if accuracy was considered the most important aspect of the character. 

As someone who appreciates source material and accuracy I can understand where you are coming from, but still, I have to disagree that this is a general problem or negative the changes made. I view this more as a positive. 
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Magian

I saw the movie and I didn't mind the changes. Staying true to the comics isn't always such a good thing.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @allison_scag said:
    " Studios often do changes to origins, and other minor character in already established stories to provide a new fresh take on the character for both newcomers, and fans familiar with the material. Also I can't 100% be sure, but I often believe that changes are made to the stories to avoid copyright; yes I know studios are given the right by the big names, but Its often on the basis to use the characters, not necessarily stories made by writers in their company. Anyway this is Allison Scagliotti signing off.----------------------Btw be sure to show your support for me as Cassie Hack in the upcoming Hack/Slash film in whatever way possible whether its blogging,forming a facebook group, or  following allisonscag4Cassie on twitter. Rock on dudes and have a good night. "

Woah wait, there is going to be a Hack/Slash movie? Yeeeeesssssssss! *glee* 

Good luck! 
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @ComicMan24 said:
    " I saw the movie and I didn't mind the changes. Staying true to the comics isn't always such a good thing. "

Indeed. 

Well except for Howard the Duck. Yikes. 
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Magian
    @SC: I actually liked that movie. And apparently I am the only one lol
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @ComicMan24 said:
    " @SC: I actually liked that movie. And apparently I am the only one lol "

Yes, not even the people that made it , and starred in it liked it lol. You are a snowflake =p

(I liked it too, sorta) 
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Magian
    @SC: But I am a pretty snowflake :P
    xMattxxrT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xMattxxrT

when i mean changes this is what i mean...
    Spiderman is peter parker
    Hulk is bruce banner
    Captain America is steve rodgers
    they didnt change who they are but with Thor he is never actually donald blake, see what i mean? thats the main issue

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Donald Blake has always been a horrible idea anyways.

xMattxxrT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xMattxxrT

True True, i do belive it's an aweful idea, and after this discussion i have come to respect thier dissision more for changing the origin, it's still a very good movie and you US guy's will have a blast on the 6th :D

weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By weaponmaster

They did the right thing by getting rid of the Donald Blake persona altogether. It would have been cheesy and dated.
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#18  Edited By Deadcool
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    "Donald Blake is the worst part about the Thor franchise. Getting rid of him was the best thing the movie could have done. "

I like Donald Blake, during JMS run and some Stan Lee and Kirby's issues, Blake was awesome,  just SOME writers can't use him properly, but he is the cool thing from Thor, that is what makes him Marvel's and not just a God that taked directly from the norse mythology, the idea of a god learning humility  as a lame doctor is a cool idea, I just like that, for me is the best thing in the character.

The movie sould have used the Doc Donald Blake, but it could have been longer, that is why I think they didn't used him (or maybe they wanted more muscles in the movie just like Ultimate, the movie was a combination of some aspects of 616 and 1610 and also its own).

Note: You always tend to post your opinion like a fact, but you have to learn that sometines someone doesn't share your point of view.

xMattxxrT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xMattxxrT
    @Deadcool:  I'm with you on this, i fully agree with this point of view
    Avatar image for stonemonkeylives
    stonemonkeylives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By stonemonkeylives

I have to admit I only really got into Thor through the Ultimates.  I never really read any older issues of Thor so I never really got to know Donald Blake, so me it wasn't a major loss.  Don't get me wrong I got the reference, and to some extent they did make use of the Donald Blake persona.  All in all I really enjoyed the film, so much so I've seen it 3 times now, but if I did any gripe with the film was that some of the customes, especially Thor's looked a bit plastic-y, but that is just a minor issue for me.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Deadcool
    @xMattxxrT said:
    " @Deadcool:  I'm with you on this, i fully agree with this point of view "

Thanks
    Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Slinger

Blake is one of my favorite parts of the Thor franchise, I was disappointed that he didn't have a role in the movie. I always thought that Blake lent a lot to Thor's struggle to relate to humanity.

LetoWeapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By LetoWeapon

The gimmick of Thor turning back into Donald Blake after 60 seconds without Mjolnir was never utilized well in the early comics, rarely mentioned later, and then discarded. It was always cheap drama like Spider-Man running out of webfluid. The actual quality stories by Stan and Jack  were almost always with Thor interacting with the other gods. In fact the basis for both the film and loosely for Ultimate Thor is the story from Thor issue #145, "Abandoned on Earth!" The film needed to be about Thor as Thor. Amnesia has been used too often in other films and the mystery of Donald Blake not actually having a past would not have wowed modern audiences and would have distracted from the plot rather than enhance it. There have been roughly four or five different eras in the comic of Thor as a character, and the film masterfully blends them.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PowerHerc
    @xMattxxrT:
    I see your point.
    mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By mewmdude77
    @Deadcool said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    "Donald Blake is the worst part about the Thor franchise. Getting rid of him was the best thing the movie could have done. "

I like Donald Blake, during JMS run and some Stan Lee and Kirby's issues, Blake was awesome,  just SOME writers can't use him properly, but he is the cool thing from Thor, that is what makes him Marvel's and not just a God that taked directly from the norse mythology, the idea of a god learning humility  as a lame doctor is a cool idea, I just like that, for me is the best thing in the character.

The movie sould have used the Doc Donald Blake, but it could have been longer, that is why I think they didn't used him (or maybe they wanted more muscles in the movie just like Ultimate, the movie was a combination of some aspects of 616 and 1610 and also its own).

Note: You always tend to post your opinion like a fact, but you have to learn that sometines someone doesn't share your point of view.

I agree with you!! I missed Dr. Donald Blake!! He gave more of a connection to Earth instead of just loving Jane Foster. Being Donald Blake gave Thor humility and it made him a better character. I think Marvel just wanted to show him shirtless as many times as they possibly could. I also don't like how Odinsleep was used and how the frost giants were so small.

Was anyone else suprised that instead of putting the guest avenger apperance in the middle of the movie instead of the movie instead of at the very end. I won't say who, but it makes sense with the flashy characters being in the Marvel movies. 

Overall: I give the Thor movie a B-.
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Deadcool
    @mewmdude77 said:
    I agree with you!!."

Thanks
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#27  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Well personally I hate the whole alter ego of Blake for Thor, I always liked how he was portrayed in the Ultimate Universe where he has no secret identity and just wears normal clothing when he's not saving the world. So I wasn't bothered by that.

In the movie, Thor wasn't placed in Blake's body, they just used the name of one of Jane's ex's as a cover name for him to use, I doubt will see it in later films though. And because he was only Thor in the movie, the whole thing about the hammer being out his hand is irrelevant to the movie. as for Jane, I didn't care much for her character to be bothered by the change, personally I liked it.

Overall I loved all of the changes they made, it was all understandable and made sense to not only us comic book readers, but to the general audience as well, and best of all, this is the first comic book movie that is close to the actually comic book that it's scary xD

taqs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By taqs

What we need to realise is that the movies are a totally different universe and will always have changed big or small. Its the same with the X-Men movies. The comics are one but the movies follow a different canon. Everyone needs to stop hating that fact that the movies are not the exact same. Don't be bias because there are differences, rather give the movie a try and if it’s bad then let it be bad but don't let it be bad because you don't like all the changes, it’s a little petty. 

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Deadcool
    @War Killer said:
    "and best of all, this is the first comic book movie that is close to the actually comic book that it's scary xD "

What about Iron Man?
    Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Vitality
    @xMattxxrT said:
    "

I know this might seem picky and i understand why they made the changes they did but some just didn't make sense, from a comic point of view.The main problem is the origin, it didn't follow the origin that stan wrote. Donald Blake, who's a lame medical physicist ( or something along those lines) goes into a cave and finds a cane which when he hit's a rock with he transforms into Thor! Not what was betrayed in to Movie, on earth he IS Thor...without his powers, he's not a doctor.2ndly If Thor is without his hammer for more than 60 seconds he turns back into Donald. In the movie he doesn't have his hammer for a majority of the time so he shouldn't be or look like Thor.Also Jane Foster is Donald's nurse in his practice, but in the Movie she a scientist and doesn't even work for Donald because he isn't even in it, the names used but it doesn't mean it's him.I can fully understand why they made the changes but it's not really subtle ones, they are quite big to the Origin.Comment telling me what you think.

"

Although I do not agree with what you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it.
    goldenshot80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31  Edited By goldenshot80
    @ssejllenrad said:
    " Would you rather have a pathetic teen version of Thor? *cough* Smallville *cough* Hehehehe!I see your points and though I understand where your points, I have to partially disagree. Staying true with the comics is always a must with these films and for us comic fans, deviating from it comes close to unforgivable. But as vidarr has said, they needed to change things from a businessman's point of view. It wouldn't really be marketable to the modern audiences if they did the down to earth man that changes to a powerful god by striking a stick. Know that audiences today are shallow and beefiness trumps depth and basis-loyalty almost all the time.Still, the movie was great! "
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#32  Edited By Kairan1979

My biggest problem in the movie wasn't Thor/Don Blake. The problem was was Jane Foster.
    As a doctor she could teach Thor about the value of human life and what the war means for the regular people. That could make him understand his mistakes and become worthly of Mjollnir. Instead we see the "scientist" (who looks just as "convincing" as a scientist as Denise Richards). And I don't think I'm the only on who wished movieverse Thor to end with Sif instead..

xMattxxrT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By xMattxxrT

It's just they have an origin maybe several to choose from and yet it's obvious they have employed someone to write an original origin? why bother, they could have spent the money on something else. But i do have to credit them, good job on making the rainbow bridge not as F&CKING CAMP as the comics :D

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overall, I don't mind tweaks to character's back stories during the movie conversion. To be honest, the comicbook origins are generally hokey and kind of lame, and trying to base these characters in the real world with believable biographies works better for me than some of the real origins. I know I'll probably be crucified for this, but Thor doesn't really need to be Donald Blake in this movie, nor did he need a cane, nor did Jane necessarily have to have the same personality she had in the comic. This is definitely one of those movies that I expected to be over the top with the nonsense factor and I was pleasantly surprised that they kept what they did, updated what they could and kept to the spirit of the Kirby illustrations. 

The_Thunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_Thunderer

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Donald Blake is the worst part about the Thor franchise. Getting rid of him was the best thing the movie could have done.

Yes.Thor is a God, he shouldn't have/need an alter ego

@Deadcool said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I like Donald Blake, during JMS run and some Stan Lee and Kirby's issues, Blake was awesome, just SOME writers can't use him properly, but he is the cool thing from Thor, that is what makes him Marvel's and not just a God that taked directly from the norse mythology, the idea of a god learning humility as a lame doctor is a cool idea, I just like that, for me is the best thing in the character.

The movie sould have used the Doc Donald Blake, but it could have been longer, that is why I think they didn't used him (or maybe they wanted more muscles in the movie just like Ultimate, the movie was a combination of some aspects of 616 and 1610 and also its own).

Note: You always tend to post your opinion like a fact, but you have to learn that sometines someone doesn't share your point of view.

This is also true.

@ComicMan24 said:

I saw the movie and I didn't mind the changes. Staying true to the comics isn't always such a good thing.

I'm with you.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Tyrus

@FadeToBlackBolt: Donald Blake is like transforming into Shazam pretty much...

CataractComics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CataractComics

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

This.

I hate people say I'm not a true Thor fan because I don't like Donald Blake. That guy freaking sucks. Thor is bad ass because he is Thor, not a human being.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38  Edited By Pyrogram

@CataractComics said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

This.

I hate people say I'm not a true Thor fan because I don't like Donald Blake. That guy freaking sucks. Thor is bad ass because he is Thor, not a human being.

Agreed, I have re-read the orinigals and I hated on Donald Blake

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.