Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8586 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Mjolnir retcon....

• 59 results
    lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, with Mjolnir's tweaking in origins and changing a fair bit, I thought these short vids explain it well and give a decent idea on the Nick Fury whisper thing. Thoughts?..

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The comics medium keeps surprising me... How come people make videos with so poor knowledge on what they are talking about and get so many views?

First... Inverted Loki in Axis was worthy of Mjolnir where everything was just normal, and guess what that was after the whisper...

No Caption Provided

Then why did Thor (Gaeason) was able lift the Thorr's unworthy hammer if the whisper only affected Mjolnir?

No Caption Provided

Really poor theory... Like Aaron's current writing, since the standards are so low, who knows...

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard One might assume that since the retcon only just happen, being the point of the retcon, it retcon's a lot of what came before, in fact, it retcon's everything since Thor's first appearance.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HighAccuser

See my overall problem with this retcon is that it adds nothing to the ongoing Thor mythos. It was solely created to appeal and pander to a reason as to why Jane could be quote on quote "worthy" of Mjolnir and all it does is just blatantly shit on established lore that for the most part was never some massive focal point of most Thor's books.

Aaron isn't showing us why Jane should be worthy. Hes giving excuses as to why the hammer might follow her command which in my mind are very contrived. Nothing shes done in these 2 years has given me and others any reason as to why shes deserving of the hammer.

Odin is a being beyond Mjolnir. Beyond Jane. There is no reason he shouldn't be able to take the hammer, depower her, and send her soul to Hela's realm. Thor himself has proven to be more than worthy, time and time again. At this point retreading why he should be worthy of Mjolnir just gets really old and redundant if not satirical in nature.

Now I've said before....Sif wielding Mjolnir while Thor goes on a journey of personal discovery and possibly forges his own hammer would be great to see for a while. But this?

Nope.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard One might assume that since the retcon only just happen, being the point of the retcon, it retcon's a lot of what came before, in fact, it retcon's everything since Thor's first appearance.

Sorry but that doesn't make any sense, since what i posted happened after the whisper (was published in 2015) and Aaron is still telling that same story, where Thor is unworthy and will have a comic about that... Or are you saying that Aaron retcon the whisper? So why did this dude make a theory about the whisper content... (lol)

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerevarine_11 said:

See my overall problem with this retcon is that it adds nothing to the ongoing Thor mythos. It was solely created to appeal and pander to a reason as to why Jane could be quote on quote "worthy" of Mjolnir and all it does is just blatantly shit on established lore that for the most part was never some massive focal point of most Thor's books.

Aaron is showing us why Jane should be worthy. Hes giving excuses as to why the hammer might follow her command which in my mind are very contrived. Nothing shes done in these 2 years has given me and others any reason as to why shes deserving of the hammer.

Odin is a being beyond Mjolnir. Beyond Jane. There is no reason he shouldn't be able to take the hammer, depower her, and send her soul to Hela's realm. Thor himself has proven to be more than worthy, time and time again. At this point retreading why he should be worthy of Mjolnir just gets really old and redundant if not satirical in nature.

Now I've said before....Sif wielding Mjolnir while Thor goes on a journey of personal discovery and possibly forges his own hammer would be great to see for a while. But this?

Nope.

100% this ^

Seconded.

@asgaard said:
    @lordraiden said:

Sorry but that doesn't make any sense, since what i posted happened after the whisper (was published in 2015) and Aaron is still telling that same story, where Thor is unworthy and will have a comic about that... Or are you saying that Aaron retcon the whisper? So why did this dude make a theory about the whisper content... (lol)

Huh? He was saying that he was theorizing that Fury didn't say anything to Thor, it was directed at Mjolnir, which after reading/hearing about the retconned Mjolnir background, sounds plausible and his theory, not saying that is what happen, just a theory after reading about the retcon done to Mjolnir, if that makes any sense to you?

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordraiden:

Huh? He was saying that he was theorizing that Fury didn't say anything to Thor, it was directed at Mjolnir, which after reading/hearing about the retconned Mjolnir background, sounds plausible and his theory, not saying that is what happen, just a theory after reading about the retcon done to Mjolnir, if that makes any sense to you?

Like i was trying to say above New Avengers Vol 3 #27 & New Avengers Vol 3 #32 dismantle that theory...

In this issues where the time line is after the Nick Fury whisper Thor is unworthy and is able to pick Thorr's (alternate universe evil version) unworthy hammer, only who is unworthy can wield this hammer (reverse of Mjolnir), later after a battle with the Beyonders he no longer can pick this (unworthy) hammer, so the notion that the whisper did not do anything to Thor has to be wrong because (again) he was able to pick a reverse Mjolnir...

I did my best to explain this...

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

@lordraiden:

Like i was trying to say above New Avengers Vol 3 #27 & New Avengers Vol 3 #32 dismantle that theory...

In this issues where the time line is after the Nick Fury whisper Thor is unworthy and is able to pick Thorr's (alternate universe evil version) unworthy hammer, only who is unworthy can wield this hammer (reverse of Mjolnir), later after a battle with the Beyonders he no longer can pick this (unworthy) hammer, so the notion that the whisper did not do anything to Thor has to be wrong because (again) he was able to pick a reverse Mjolnir...

I did my best to explain this...

Sure, I get where your coming from, but that's based on the theory that Marvel (or comics in general) hold continuity as their primary factor when telling stories, which simply isn't the case for anyone who's picked up a comic over any amount of time. The fact that at the end just before Thor met his end and was revealed that he couldn't lift the unworthy hammer which basically was showing that he was once again worthy, was all null & void once Marvel kicked of the MU again going back to unworthy Thor without little reason or explanation? Also, i'm not (and neither is he, I believe) is saying that is what happen, just something being put forward, and as he stated, we'll just have to wait and see, if Marvel or Aaron even ever addresses the whisper in any detail at all?

Avatar image for deactivated-6044a3a59a9f4
    deactivated-6044a3a59a9f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

great, another retcon.

so there was a storm since the beginning of creation called "Mother Storm". well, now I know why it says "she". this story about Mjolnir would have been awesome when Thor was worthy without this feminist crap.

oh well, now it can be explained why he is unworthy. they just retconned it because they are lazy to write something good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgardianbrony: that could be good but Thor made a lot of shit in the past but he was still worthy.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor321: I had an idea for why he was unworthy that would have been better than this crap. thor should have been unworthy because he himself felt he was unworthy when he couldn't save jane from cancer, that would explain why the hammer chose jane and when she finally dies it could lead into a story where thor realises he was making himself unworthy all along. that would have been great!

Interesting idea, makes little sense though when it comes to Mjolnir and being worthy?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgardianbrony: for example, he killed a celestial in the past and because of that Earth was blown to bits. he was still worthy after that.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor321: Thor didn't kill the Celestial though. He was manipulated by Kang posing as Loki into placing an enchantment on Jarnbjorn so he could cut through Apocalypse's armor after Apocalypse beat up young Thor and then hundreds of years later Apocalypse's successors got ahold of the axe and used it on the Celestial gardener which is what brought Exitar to earth to destroy it. That all happened before Thor was worthy of using Mjolnir also in terms of Thor's involvement.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: I don't every last detail but it was still him even though he was manipulated. just saying that feeling unworthy by some deed he did wouldn't make him unworthy.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By titing2101

hate this really... with the "mother storm" inside mjolnir, i think they are saying that it provides thor weather manipulation, im ean on how he has those powers.. i hope they dont retcon Odinsons innate powers.

Avatar image for thunderingthorfan
    ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titing2101: They did already. Read the foreword on his stupid mini-series' opening page:

"Unable to possess the power of his birthright.......blah blah blah.....the thunder God relinquished the name of Thor."

It's a done deal. You knew it was coming. (Despite him having his unrelated ELDER god heritage and powers which the female hammer apparently has now also confiscated by god knows what nonsensical reasons) From the moment Aaron wrote: "If SHE be worthy" on that hammer it was done. The "Mother of Storms" is the one true Thor now. Aaron can't have the original Thor with his powers otherwise there would be no need for that ----- to have the hammer or pretend to be him. If he had his innate powers and Jarnbjorn he's more than a match for little miss useless. So he had to take everything from Thor contradicting both established canon written by actual comic legends, and his own mediocre writings in GoT! I swear, Aaron best never have the misfortune of sharing the same space with me under any circumstances. I'll rip his puny little hammer right off.........

"A crucial story in the story of Thor?"

He had the audacity to say. What?! By making him a pathetic loser human like cancer girl over there?! How does becoming a human teach us anything about being a god?! That's the point buffoon! Gods are superior to humans in every way! Whether you find them arrogant or whatever, their power makes them right! That's the point of Godhood. Stupid humans just can't hack that humanity is not the be all and end all of everything. Aaron no doubt trying to make some eloquent BS statement about the courage of humanity and whatnot and how it's greater than godhood. Isn't this Stan Lee's initial story? So now he turns Thor himself human. Outstanding Aaron! What a creative mind you have! Idiot. Further, how does what he's done even make sense? You can't pass on your "birthright"?! It's yours by BIRTH! Under no circumstances can that happen. Even in fiction. I'm Mexican-American. So I'm found unworthy of my heritage and born talents and, all of a sudden, I can just "pass off" my innate genetically created gifts to my worthy Chinese best friend who then becomes a legitimate warrior of Aztec descent. Wtf?! And we're being asked to accept this same idiocy from the lunacy that's being written just because the new "host" (yep, read it and weep Fosthor fans cuz that's what this very issue you praise has confirmed that she is: a useless sick puppet) is a WOMAN who's suffering from Cancer? Oh! How heroic she is!!!! Why don't you take care of your abandoned son first deadbeat?! Show us how heroic a mother is since there is no greater love than a mothers! But she obviously doesn't have any morality or love in her, yet somehow she's worthy of the BS hammer! Aaron is the BIGGEST MORON in literary existence. There is no excuse for him. There is no saving this phony story. That new Mjolnir origin? Stupidity. We complain because it makes no sense and then some fool on these boards is stating that if Thor was still in control of the hammer we real Thor fans would be in love with the story! News flash: this idiocy of a retcon makes Thor's powers non-existent! He basically has none now. "The power of Thor" on the inscription is basically a lie. It actually means that it's a female sentient storm's power now. So yeah. I'd be REAL happy with this retcon even if Thor was still mjolnir's wielder. Such BS! I am livid.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderingthorfan:

well that is really sad... you know i was hoping that aaron would follow through hickmans "move to save thor" but NO! i dont know why even on his own series(GOT) he gave thor innate power as a young thor. but then he completely forgot/intentionally ignored his own writing . To hel aaron!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderingthorfan@titing2101: what's done is done. unfortunately we cannot do anything. I'm worried if Thor even has his powers without Mjolnir. he will retcon even that.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor321 said:

@thunderingthorfan@titing2101: what's done is done. unfortunately we cannot do anything. I'm worried if Thor even has his powers without Mjolnir. he will retcon even that.

dont know if he has super strength now. lol... should kept him dead would be better

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titing2101: screw with that, Thor was originally a woman. he changed his gender to male from female.

ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titing2101: Nope. Sadly he doesn't have that either. Look at the preview for that stupid mini series. He's getting his ass kicked by a bunch of nobody aliens and states that if he had his hammer, "a couple of swings from it" would have ended this swiftly or something to that effect! His STRENGTH is MASSIVE. By feats, EASILY above the Hulks no matter who says what! And he can't deal with aliens??? Just like he couldn't deal with a measely FROST GIANT and got his arm chopped off?! Yup. Strength is GONE!

But I'm sure Aaron and othe apologists on here will come out and tell us that we're such "whiners" because this shows how "badass" he is!

"Look! He's got no powers and he's still giving them such trouble! It's been going on for DAYS and they still can't keep him down! Oooohhhh!!!!"

STFU!!!!! My Thor doesn't need to struggle with anything with or without HIS hammer! Why? Because his hammer replicates his birth powers! It doesn't OWN them AARON! What part of that can't you get through that massive empty bowl you call a head?!! If you were such a Thor historian as some people claim, you'd know that the hammer never really granted Thor any of his powers. By canon, Blake was revealed to be Thor without the memories and powers. Like that or not it is an accepted fact! Mjolnir was simply a key to reactivate his birthright abilities giving the impression through transformation that they were two different beings initially! Thus making Thor learn humility through trickery as is expected from the wise and regal All-Father who could be an ass from time to time rather than a complete douchebag as he's been made to be now!

ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgardianbrony: Well, as far as I'm concerned now, you're my brother in arms @asgardianbrony! I see the exact same thing! That line you quoted, about "punching God" irked me SO much! You're absolutely right! It's part of the atheistic SJW society we live in. And before anyone comes over here to impart their atheistic enlightenment, let's get something clear: I am not looking down on you for your lack of faith. It's America. You're free to believe what you want as am I! However, you're NOT free to impose something on me! And that's what this society, (and this story in particular) is doing! "Well then stop reading" some will say. I have. But I'm not leaving the "party" that I've been a part of for most of my life so that band wagoners can clime on board who never cared about the characters when it really mattered!

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgardianbrony:

I don't like the retcon at all, but to blame everything on atheism is quite extreme. I'm an atheist but I absolutely believe that gods in Marvel should be unique, powerful and mysterious because the realm of fiction is the PERFECT avenue to explore these types of themes. Trying to apply "real world" parallels is troubling. There definitely is extreme atheism as their is extreme spiritualism so I do agree that trying to demystify powerful gods by humanizing them is just an intellectually weak narrative to peddle, which is why I gave up on Marvel a long time ago and haven't read a comic.

ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgardianbrony: @haveatthee: VERY TRUE! @haveatthee- no ones got it against atheists. At least I don't and I don't think @asgardianbrony does either. It's just when outer forces start influencing EVERY facet of real life society, you kinda want fiction to stay in the realm of fantasy and fiction. Y'know? You seem to have expressed as much yourself. There's no fight here with you.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mooty_Pass

@lordraiden: He's basically saying the Hammer itself IS the "God Of Thunder" not Thor Odinson. And from this retcon it sounds like Thor was never a "God of Thunder". He was labeled that because he was the ONLY one to pick up the Hammer thus he was labeled as such when it's not true. And that's what I think Nick Fury told him Thor isn't exactly a god.

This retcon is horrible because literally the WHOLE Thor mythos has been destroyed. The only thing intact is the incantation...if the God of Thunder(which is the Hammer) THINKS your worthy you can pick it up.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's just a load of bullshit from Marvel and Aaron showing off their current bullshit writing that makes no sense and disregards all established facts about Thor and Asgard and the character as a whole

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderingthorfan said:

@asgardianbrony: @haveatthee: VERY TRUE! @haveatthee- no ones got it against atheists. At least I don't and I don't think @asgardianbrony does either. It's just when outer forces start influencing EVERY facet of real life society, you kinda want fiction to stay in the realm of fantasy and fiction. Y'know? You seem to have expressed as much yourself. There's no fight here with you.

^ this.

@stormphoenix said:

@lordraiden: He's basically saying the Hammer itself IS the "God Of Thunder" not Thor Odinson. And from this retcon it sounds like Thor was never a "God of Thunder". He was labeled that because he was the ONLY one to pick up the Hammer thus he was labeled as such when it's not true. And that's what I think Nick Fury told him Thor isn't exactly a god.

This retcon is horrible because literally the WHOLE Thor mythos has been destroyed. The only thing intact is the incantation...if the God of Thunder(which is the Hammer) THINKS your worthy you can pick it up.

indeed. thor and asgard are no longer thor and asgard. what were once great comics of gods and heroes are now watered down SJW propaganda.

Pretty Much....this has to be the WORST Rectons I have ever seen on a character.

Talk about destroying a character.........WOW.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

do writers go to sites like comicvine? if so he should be reading the fans' problems with his works. hope someone sends him thors forum. maybe he'll realize whats wrong with everything he is doing .......... crapping on us with his retcons

ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titing2101: I honestly doubt he cares my friend. He's just got his head SO FAR UP his own rear end thinking he'll be the next Walt Simonson with this idiocy he calls a story, that he thinks we're all enamored with his crap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgardianbrony: not surprised there. in MCU he is considered to be an alien.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So... If Mjolnir is a sentient being and was enslaved by Asgardian king... so why does she:

1. Cares about Asgardian troubles?

2. Even needs Jane or anyone else for that matter?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: because men rule Asgard. women must rule there. when that happens she will be happy.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RabumAlal

Aaron himself has written a young Thor making it rain fire, striking Gorr with lightning and Odinson used lightning against Jane as well IIRC. Makes no sense he would retcon that as well.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the retcon also disregars Odins enchantment. it wont even let it be carried by Odin .. funny...

"if he be worthy, he shall have the power of thor" not the power of the mother of storms >_<

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too many changes. Marvel in general is having too many changes which makes characters different from what they used to be. Honestly, marvel is better off just rebooting the universe to separate the old stories we love from being colliding with the now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whosoever holds this hammer, if she be worthy, shall possess the power of independent woman

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor321 said:

Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of independent woman

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA That's a Good ONE dude.

You actually made me laugh out loud on that. And your So right.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormphoenix: thanks man.

its funny asf but also sad. Mother Storm which is why it has "she" in description and then female Thor.

its all connected .

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor321: Your absolutely right on this. I'm curious as to how Marvel is going to fix this becasue the damage is too far done.

But knowing Marvel surely they'll figure it out and say "Oh we were just joking Thor's not a girl hahah Gotcha"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormphoenix: at least our Thor didn't turn into woman literally.

I now have the impression that Jane is stronger than Thor because of this retcon.

and that she is basically on par with Odin.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor321: Pretty much. She is the only one who's actually kicked his butt. The Male Thor fought him like what 3 times?? and still he lost to his own dad......, but this female Thor comes around and easily beats Odin. LOL

You are actually right she basically on par with Odin -_-

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.