Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8598 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Idris Elba Dishes on the THOR Movie

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

Heimdall in real life...
     Heimdall in real life...

If you’ve read enough promo interviews where actors have to keep the company line with a lot of general terms, then you get a special enjoyment whenever somebody actually answers a press question with some wit. In that respect, I have to say I love Idris Elba’s answer regarding how his portrayal of Roque in the LOSERS movie was different from the character’s portrayal in the comic…

ELBA: Roque in the comic book is white and I’m black.

AY-OH! Serve that plate with a big side helping of SASS. Of course, after giving the fun answer, the man inevitably had to give the serious one to the Latino Review…

ELBA: I definitely used Roque in the comic book as my skeleton to build my Roque. So I stayed as true as I could to him. The scar was the only physical attribute that I took from the comic book and applied to myself. Other than that, I just used his personality, his persona in the comic book to make my Roque.

He also talked about his casting as another comics character, namely Heimdall in that Kenneth Brannagh-directed THOR movie you might have heard of it. I would’ve loved it if he described the differences between movie Heimdall and comic Heimdall the same way he described the differences in Roques, but alas, he was on a serious streak…

ELBA: I was cast in Thor and I’m cast as a Nordic god. If you know anything about the Nords, they don’t look like me but there you go. I think that’s a sign of the times for the future. I think we will see multi-level casting. I think we will see that and I think that’s good… I looked at the comic books actually because Heimdall, he’s a very central character and I wanted to reflect him as he is in the comic books.

Heimdall in the comics.
     Heimdall in the comics.

Aside from that, he said the Heimdall looks “phenomenal” and that he’s going to be involved in some cool action, but that was all he was going to let slip.

I’m curious to see how Elba portrays both of these characters. I’m only familiar with him from his time on THE OFFICE. Considering that, when John Krasinski was in the running to play Captain America, somebody brought up the brilliant possibility of Rainn Wilson playing the Red Skull, I think it’d be a fun conceit to run with to do a fantasy “OFFICE to comics” casting call.   You might recall that Steve Carrell was actually in the running to play the Joker for a while, too. He certainly would’ve played the part… differently than Heath Ledger. So the connections have already been establish. What other OFFICE jockies would fit? Who could Jenna Fischer play? Would Creed make a good Deathstroke? How about Kevin as Dum Dum Dugan? Run with this, people!

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this April - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By xerox_kitty

I can't wait to see what he looks like in the armour...

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Since when was Heimdall black?

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By sora_thekey
    @xerox-kitty said:
    "I can't wait to see what he looks like in the armour... "

Same here!!!!
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Vance Astro said:
    " Since when was Heimdall black? "
    Since when was Kingpin black?  Who cares, as long as he can act :)
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Moomin123
    @Vance Astro said:
    "Since when was Heimdall black? "

Thinking the same thing.
    Avatar image for giovanni_the_minuteman
    Giovanni The Minuteman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xerox-kitty said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    Since when was Kingpin black?  Who cares, as long as he can act :) "
    yo kingpin was great
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xerox_kitty
    mrduckluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mrduckluck

you cant see to much skin of heimdall in the comics so who cares who could do a great haimdall

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jordanstine

" @xerox-kitty said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    Since when was Kingpin black?  Who cares, as long as he can act :) "

Exactly. 

Just like Lana Lang in Smallville was half-asian.  Good actress, but can't stand her character in the show though.
    Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Agent Buttons
    Cool
    MemnochZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MemnochZERO

@Tom Pinchuk I strongly suggest you watch THE WIRE if you wanna see the awesomeness Idris Elba is capable of. It's over now so you shouldn't have a problem tracking the series down.
    grimreaper1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By grimreaper1980

who the heck is creed
    cadaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By cadaver
    @Vance Astro:@Vance Astro said:

Marvel has already bastardized the ancient norse religion a great deal. Historically vikings had little contact with the black race, and surely not enough to base their gods on. It's not through any fault of their own, they made the effort to travel, the africans didn't seem to travel north to relax in -50 winters. I agree it's dumb to cast  a black Heimdall, but I also thing it's dumb to have a alien norse god like bata-ray-bill kicking around.  marvel screwed up the norse religion good, so it matters little if they screw it up more. Anyone who wants to know historical facts should read a history book instead of a comic book. But, chin up, maybe they will cast a whitty to play Luke Cage or Black Panther when the day comes. No, wait, americans and their "political correctness" only go one way. That's why there is a "United Negro College Fund" and no "United  Caucasian College Fund" down their. It would be deemed racist to educate white folks. screw you bata-ray-bill.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Korg

"I am going to stick out like a sore thumb in this movie." 
    - Idris Elba's private thoughts

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#15  Edited By Green ankh

I'd prefer people stay to the truth of the medium. I mean a black Viking God? 

But then again if he's a good actor it will work.  But i wonder what would happen if they cast a white man as Black Panther.
    Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16  Edited By Comiclove5

As long as he plays the part good I'm completely okay with the casting choice.
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By No_name_here
    @MemnochZERO:  Everybody's raved about that show to me.
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By No_name_here
    @grimreaper1980: The old guy on THE OFFICE.
    grufaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By grufaine

Thank you. Now I get to daydream about Jenna Fischer in superhero outfits.  Haha
    Maybe she could play Mockingbird? O= That would actually be pretty cool, methinks... 

But if we keep up the Cap analogy though I suppose she'd be Sharon Carter, hah.  
    And Rashida Jones could be Peggy...   
    o.O

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

good for him. i look fore ward to seeing his performance.

BaronVonDredd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By BaronVonDredd

I don't like him. He nearly ruined my love of The Office.
    cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cmaprice

BestChanceThor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BestChanceThor
    @grimreaper1980 said:
    "who the heck is creed "

only the best character on the ofice lol. He was also in some band in the 60's. Creed would by far make an excellent deathstroke
    iloverobots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iloverobots
    @BaronVonDredd said:
    " I don't like him. He nearly ruined my love of The Office. "
    If you're refering to Idris Elba I have to agree. That whole run of episodes with him just fell flat for me. Not sure if it was him as an actor, his character or the actually writing of the episodes but I'm glad he's gone and now I can't really stand him.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @cadaver said:

" @Vance Astro:@Vance Astro said:

Marvel has already bastardized the ancient norse religion a great deal. Historically vikings had little contact with the black race, and surely not enough to base their gods on. It's not through any fault of their own, they made the effort to travel, the africans didn't seem to travel north to relax in -50 winters. I agree it's dumb to cast  a black Heimdall, but I also thing it's dumb to have a alien norse god like bata-ray-bill kicking around.  marvel screwed up the norse religion good, so it matters little if they screw it up more. Anyone who wants to know historical facts should read a history book instead of a comic book. But, chin up, maybe they will cast a whitty to play Luke Cage or Black Panther when the day comes. No, wait, americans and their "political correctness" only go one way. That's why there is a "United Negro College Fund" and no "United  Caucasian College Fund" down their. It would be deemed racist to educate white folks. screw you bata-ray-bill. "
    Wait a minute, you took it too far.Not only this almost have nothing to do with what I was asking..it's kind of racist.The United Negro College fund was created back when there was an unfair advantage for whites to go to school and blacks with similar credentials couldn't get in (that's going back pretty much to segregation) Also partly the reason affirmative action was created.Being politically correct has nothing to do with what you're saying.If you don't like what Marvel is doing..fine.I don't either but don't start throwing in a bunch of random comparisons. Heimdall isn't the focal of the movie much like the Kingpin whose race was also changed for a Marvel movie...so why you're bringing up two Black heroes that will probably have their own movies is beyond me.It's also a asinine comparison.I don't like race changes in movies..but I hate ignorance even more.
    BaronVonDredd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By BaronVonDredd
    @Vance Astro:
    I would accept any good, professional black actor to play Heimdall...EXCEPT HIM.
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By doordoor123

lol sounds cool

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @BaronVonDredd said:

" @Vance Astro: I would accept any good, professional black actor to play Heimdall...EXCEPT HIM. "

I would accept anyone.Race changes aren't necessary at all.I see they did it with Nick Fury because his Ultimate version is black but I thought Marvel was done with making stupid casting choices.
    Avatar image for blackstormtorrent
    blackstormtorrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

i love  Idris Elba’ loved him in the wire

MSBoyd23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MSBoyd23
    @Green ankh: That's a very very very good point.  
    Methinks people would not be pleased.
    cadaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cadaver
    @Vance Astro:@Vance Astro said:
    " @cadaver said:

" @Vance Astro:@Vance Astro said:

Marvel has already bastardized the ancient norse religion a great deal. Historically vikings had little contact with the black race, and surely not enough to base their gods on. It's not through any fault of their own, they made the effort to travel, the africans didn't seem to travel north to relax in -50 winters. I agree it's dumb to cast  a black Heimdall, but I also thing it's dumb to have a alien norse god like bata-ray-bill kicking around.  marvel screwed up the norse religion good, so it matters little if they screw it up more. Anyone who wants to know historical facts should read a history book instead of a comic book. But, chin up, maybe they will cast a whitty to play Luke Cage or Black Panther when the day comes. No, wait, americans and their "political correctness" only go one way. That's why there is a "United Negro College Fund" and no "United  Caucasian College Fund" down their. It would be deemed racist to educate white folks. screw you bata-ray-bill. "
    Wait a minute, you took it too far.Not only this almost have nothing to do with what I was asking..it's kind of racist.The United Negro College fund was created back when there was an unfair advantage for whites to go to school and blacks with similar credentials couldn't get in (that's going back pretty much to segregation) Also partly the reason affirmative action was created.Being politically correct has nothing to do with what you're saying.If you don't like what Marvel is doing..fine.I don't either but don't start throwing in a bunch of random comparisons. Heimdall isn't the focal of the movie much like the Kingpin whose race was also changed for a Marvel movie...so why you're bringing up two Black heroes that will probably have their own movies is beyond me.It's also a asinine comparison.I don't like race changes in movies..but I hate ignorance even more. "
    Marvel has been rewriting a lot of things to be more politically correct. Hollywood does the same. That's the point you missed.  On the subject of Norse Mythology, if you hate ignorance so much, read up on it in a history book and tell me how much Marvel got it wrong.
    Scholes60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Scholes60

I look forward with some relish to all of the Thor movie including Idris Elba playing the legendary Heimdall, brother of Lady Sif and guardian of the rainbow bridge. 

If you haven’t already done so check out my (mainly Thor) fan fiction. Just scroll down below my author profile and you will see nearly 40 fan fiction stories here:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1276881/David_Scholes

I’m also an Australian science fiction writer:

www.StrategicBookPublishing.com/ScienceFictionandAlternateHistory.html

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Reading-Science-Fiction-Scholes/dp/1449581889/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261366245&sr=1-1

Cheers   

Avatar image for the_ace_of_knaves
    the ace of knaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cadaver:  lol what are you talking about?

Marvel has never intended their comics to be 100% accurate takes of myths or facts. it's FANTASY. it's ADAPTATION. Seriously, get over yourself. Marvel didn't ruin the Norse religion, what the hell are you chatting about?

And comparing Heimdall being changed to black to Black Panther being changed to white has gotta be the dumbest thing i've ever, ever heard.

And also anyone who thinks Elba isn't a good actor hasn't got a clue about acting.

Tell me, after watching the Wire did you know he was from East London? Yea... exactly.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @cadaver said:
    Marvel has been rewriting a lot of things to be more politically correct. Hollywood does the same. That's the point you missed.  On the subject of Norse Mythology, if you hate ignorance so much, read up on it in a history book and tell me how much Marvel got it wrong. "
    It's not hard to miss the point when you say something racist and use it in comparison with something as minimal as a casting choice in a movie.You don't know what I know about Norse Mythology either way it has nothing to do with Marvel.Marvel is allowed to take those stories and do whatever they want with them.I don't like race changes in movies and apparently you don't either.We could have just left it there.When you start bringing up the UNCF and other unrelated things that's when things have to go off topic.I didn't miss any point...I addressed the point,but you took it off topic and that was addressed too. 

@the ace of knaves said:
    And also anyone who thinks Elba isn't a good actor hasn't got a clue about acting.  
    This is your opinion.You can't say there is something wrong with people who think he's a good actor.It's YOUR opinion that he's not.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @the ace of knaves said:

"@cadaver:  lol what are you talking about?  Marvel has never intended their comics to be 100% accurate takes of myths or facts. it's FANTASY. it's ADAPTATION. Seriously, get over yourself. Marvel didn't ruin the Norse religion, what the hell are you chatting about?  And comparing Heimdall being changed to black to Black Panther being changed to white has gotta be the dumbest thing i've ever, ever heard. "

Thanks, I don't have to say all that now :) 

This is just comics.  Marvel has not 'accurately' portrayed any kinf of mythology, let alone any of the dead religions such as Greek, Egyptian or Norse.   This isn't the story of Mohammed or Jesus.  This isn't a living religion; it's Norse mythology.   

Marvel comics don't have black Norse Gods.  That's why they addressed Sunspot as Shadowskin, because they'd never seen someone with skin so dark before.  But this isn't about Marvel comics; this is about Marvel films.    

It's a movie adapation of a comic adaptation of mythological stories.  There's no logical reason why anyone would be so offended by an adaptation of an adaption.  Ranting about black characters in Norse mythology is just a thin facade for racism.        
    Scholes60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Scholes60

I think Idris will make a great Heimdall. I'm not concerned about his color. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.