How Thor Loses his Hammer: Major Original Sin #7 SPOILERS

• 147 results
#101 Posted by Lvenger (36344 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think this is worth the hate it's getting. We all know male Thor will get the hammer back eventually. Chill out.

It's intentional pandering and ruining a male superhero at the height of his popularity and on the back end of an epic and well written series which is now derailed so that a female Thor story can be told rather than the male Thor fans want to read. It's very much worth the hate, I assure you.

Avatar image for timelordscience
#102 Edited by TimeLordScience (1940 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@timelordscience said:

I don't think this is worth the hate it's getting. We all know male Thor will get the hammer back eventually. Chill out.

It's intentional pandering and ruining a male superhero at the height of his popularity and on the back end of an epic and well written series which is now derailed so that a female Thor story can be told rather than the male Thor fans want to read. It's very much worth the hate, I assure you.

Well first off, you haven't read the story yet.

Similar things were said about Superior Spider Man. SSM didn't turn out to be too terrible. It wasn't great but that's because Slott isn't that great period. It wasn't the holocaust rabid fans made it out to be. Peter's back now and has interesting new challenges to face.

Thor will be back. Aaron is still writing the book. There's a new character fans get to see if they like. If the book doesn't sell well and the character flops then you should have nothing to worry about, Thor will become worthy again in a jif.

This doesn't "ruin" his character any more than Ock possessing Spider-Man ruined Spidey's.

And, out of curiosity, did you become this vehemently angry at DC when they changed Wally's race? And technically speaking, you have no proof this decision was Marvel's and not Aaron's. It's likely that it is, but you have no proof of it.

Finally, at least this change can be reversed. Very easily. Wally's race will never change back.

EDIT: Also, Thor is still around lol. Now we get to see the stories of metal armed axe Thor. The status quo is changing, and that's a good thing. Fans like you demand that the publishers shake things up, and then when they do, you rage so hard that it frightens the publishers into preserving the status quo and reverting to business as usual. I think we should be proud of Marvel for making risky decisions with three of their most prominent characters, while Wolverine is dead no less.

#103 Posted by Lvenger (36344 posts) - - Show Bio

@timelordscience:

1. No but it's not my cup of tea, that much is for certain.
  2. You really don't want to get me started on Superior Spider-Man, trust me. This female Thor publicity stunt won't be as bad as the abomination that SSM was, I assure you. Just because sales were high and the critics pandered to like it, that doesn't make Superior Spider-Man any good. It's been criticised and torn to shreds on here and across the Internet so it's obviously not as popular as people think it is.
  3. Thing is, Aaron was writing perfectly awesome stories with the original Thor. They were true to the character, introduced some new antagonists and environments to the book, changed the status quo of Thor WITHOUT gimmicks like this gender change in the hammer and were well written stories to boot. Aaron didn't need to make a new female Thor to make his book good, he just needed to keep doing whatever he was doing before.
  4. As I said, don't get me started on how bad and terrible Superior Spider-Man is.
  5. Yes I was just as hopping mad with DC when they decided to make the stupid decision to change Wally's race to bi-racial/black as I am with Marvel for replacing the iconic male Thor with a female. You just haven't seen my comments as that change happened months ago whereas this is fresh in people's minds. Also, this reeks far more of an editorial order from Marvel executives than it does of Aaron's own initiative to write a female Thor arc.
  6. Yeah I know but I do prefer Thor to Wally and I was really enjoying God of Thunder till this news broke. I can't buy a series I don't like and won't enjoy reading so I'm not going to be buying and paying attention to this.
  7. I fail to see how Marvel should be praised for screwing themselves over. They're taking away fan favourite characters and giving us replacements that are promoted under the illusion of change when really, they're just attaching false advertisements of progress that will be footnotes in the grand scheme of things.
#104 Posted by T_Aesir (140 posts) - - Show Bio

@timelordscience: Simple quote

Spider-Man is a mantle

Thor is not a mantle (it s a birth name)

Marvel create Spider-Man Character

Marvel didn t create Thor Character (Adapt)

#105 Edited by Allaric (75 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: PR releases dont tell you everything, considering we know absolutely nothing about her, I am convinced it's not going to be the case.

I seriously doubt Aaron has the clout to make that kind of decision. And it doesn't look like his, as you said, he's on a roll otherwise.

Well, thats your choice, but Thor (unlike Wally) is still around, he's just not going to have the hammer.

Yea Thor ... err ... his name isn't Thor , I'm going with "Ghor" cuz of the axe and missing arm ... here we go "The Mighty Ghor !"

No Caption Provided

#106 Posted by Oscars94 (3196 posts) - - Show Bio

I knew about that. When I saw spoilers , I thought I'd be told what Fury said.

#107 Posted by HaveAtThee (1225 posts) - - Show Bio

This sounds heavily influenced by Quesada and Bendis. Fits their style. "Hey once we've established something let's tear it down somehow only for someone to rebuild it again six months from now!" And then rinse-lather-repeat a year from then.

#108 Posted by EnigmaLantern (773 posts) - - Show Bio

I never thought I'd say this, especially when Marvel NOW was launched with the release of Thor God of Thunder, but looks like I'm dropping Thor for a while - possibly my favourite Marvel character. *waves fist in the air* darn you Marvel, darn you!

#109 Posted by Lvenger (36344 posts) - - Show Bio

This sounds heavily influenced by Quesada and Bendis. Fits their style. "Hey once we've established something let's tear it down somehow only for someone to rebuild it again six months from now!" And then rinse-lather-repeat a year from then.

My thoughts exactly. Repetitive gimmicks recycled over and over again rather than genuinely creative storytelling which evolves the character and respects their history.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
#110 Posted by deactivated-097092725 (10555 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh my God, this thread is hilarious.

@oscars94 said:

Wouldn't have mattered. Apparently the spoiler is that it has begun in such a way, the horror of a careless whisper. So, you know, rawr, rawr, rabble, rabble and the like. What Fury said evidently doesn't matter. It's the CARELESS WHISPER.

#111 Posted by jayc1324 (26432 posts) - - Show Bio

This is what marvel does when they don't have an actual interesting or creative story to tell. Besides the fact that that's exactly the type of Thor Jason Aaron was writing.

#112 Edited by Oscars94 (3196 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...
No Caption Provided
@ms-lola
@ms-lola

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
#113 Edited by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (9186 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow people whining about changes in comics? I'm shocked...

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
#114 Edited by deactivated-097092725 (10555 posts) - - Show Bio
#115 Posted by Squalleon (9994 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow people whining about changes in comics? I'm shocked...

You know there are objectively good and bad changes right...Ones that are born from actual stories and creative vision and the ones born out of PR stunts and shock events. Yes some times the bad ones end up better than expected or remain bad or even worse but up to this moment this is a PR stunt and nothing more.

#116 Edited by Squalleon (9994 posts) - - Show Bio

Lets just say tomorrow DC rebooted Batman as a psychopath gunslinger who kills out of pleasure (yes I know it is way more farfetched but it does its job) Does that mean comic book fans are whiny because they hate change?

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
#117 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (9186 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon: Good to know you can see into the future on wether this will be a bad change. I'm going to buy a lottery ticket can you give me the winning number? Smh...

#118 Posted by HellionVulcan (7354 posts) - - Show Bio

Makes me glad i am skipping this event as i knew it'd be terrible.

#119 Edited by Squalleon (9994 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon: Good to know you can see into the future on wether this will be a bad change. I'm going to buy a lottery ticket can you give me the winning number? Smh...

Cherry picking much...

Yes some times the bad onesend up better than expected or remain bad or even worse but up to this moment this is a PR stunt and nothing more.

#120 Posted by Matheusco (1 posts) - - Show Bio

People, I was trying to discover what is written there, and:

Ghur - A place, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghur,_Iran

ALDUI - Returns a LoL Summoner. - http://www.lolking.net/summoner/br/3910699

KADGH - http://www.lolking.net/summoner/euw/19200004 - Also a Summoner.

KYDGU - returna nothing interesting.

and AGO, wouldn't return anything interesting.

Maybe these 2 LoL summoners had chose this names because they have a meaning? Or it just a spell (looks like), or Thor real name?

#122 Edited by Awar (61 posts) - - Show Bio

Can anyone make out the words?

No Caption Provided

How can a few words spoken to Thor make him unworthy after all the Mjolnir not the User is the one who decides who is worthy of wielding it That is Bull S#!T!

I am not against a She-Thor character after all there have been several Thor like characters thanks to the likes of Stormbreaker & Thunderstrike over the years but the way they have gone about this character is just wrong!

#123 Posted by HaveAtThee (1225 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

"When in doubt, press button" - Marvel editorial

#124 Posted by Awar (61 posts) - - Show Bio

@haveatthee: It's not a Plot Device it's a bad pun without the punch line!

#125 Posted by uugieboogie (13592 posts) - - Show Bio

Has it been revealed what he said to make Thor unworthy?

#126 Posted by antithetical (1653 posts) - - Show Bio

@uugieboogie: To my knowledge no, if it had been revealed believe me there'd be at least a half dozen threads pop up simultaneously all across the vine.

#127 Posted by uugieboogie (13592 posts) - - Show Bio

@uugieboogie: To my knowledge no, if it had been revealed believe me there'd be at least a half dozen threads pop up simultaneously all across the vine.

You think they'll ever say what caused it?

#128 Posted by antithetical (1653 posts) - - Show Bio

@uugieboogie: Honestly I think it's going to get dragged out for a long time.

#129 Posted by arthurkerr (2215 posts) - - Show Bio

going to milk this for all they can.

#130 Posted by Stahlflamme (5872 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone ever asked on social media, if this will ever be revealed in the comics or what Fury said.

#131 Posted by uugieboogie (13592 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess they know it's stupid and can't find a way to explain so they're going to leave it as a mystery smh

#132 Posted by antithetical (1653 posts) - - Show Bio

going to milk this for all they can.

@antithetical said:

I guess they know it's stupid and can't find a way to explain so they're going to leave it as a mystery smh

Yes and yes.

#133 Posted by Thorthunder98 (6919 posts) - - Show Bio

@uugieboogie: Nope and I don't think they will because I'm guessing they don't even know it they just thought it was a good idea him being unworthy and thought they'd figure a reason along the way, but just haven't come up with a logical reason and probably never will, a lot of what's been going on has no logic to it so we can't expect any better

#134 Posted by uugieboogie (13592 posts) - - Show Bio

@uugieboogie: Nope and I don't think they will because I'm guessing they don't even know it they just thought it was a good idea him being unworthy and thought they'd figure a reason along the way, but just haven't come up with a logical reason and probably never will, a lot of what's been going on has no logic to it so we can't expect any better

I don't understand how this whole thing makes sense to them. Thor being unworthy, a civil war between the Asgardians none of it makes sense.

#135 Posted by Thorthunder98 (6919 posts) - - Show Bio

@uugieboogie: Exacly if they had given a valid and understandable reason to him being unworthy I don't think everyone would have a problem but they haven't given any hints at what it might be and even the blurred text from the speech bubble from fury it just looks like random letters they put together that aren't even words. And yea the Civil War is ridiculous also the fact that Jane will most likely be getting involved just because she is 'Thor' she has no ties to Asgard to be getting involved in it, and just the whole concept of the Asgard Civil War is stupid.

#136 Posted by arthurkerr (2215 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics have become so hard to follow that people are just tossing them aside with no want to even read them. No Rhyme or reason.

In a effort to get as much money as possible they are scaring fans away. I wonder if they will ever find themselves I used to like the Xmen but no longer find it enjoyable what so ever. Just seems to polluted by so many characters that they lose the whole team idea. Wolverine professor X and The small team that it was. Know it is just a bunch of angry mutants against the world and they are no longer heroes but people with a gripe and with writing as bad as it has become you find yourself cheering on the mutant. That is never good when humanity has become the villain. So afraid of others we condem our own children our family our friends before they even get the chance to say a word. We know better then that if our friends could fly we would be like holy shizzle amazing , if our friends whom we have known our whole life or family needed us. We would step up to the plate and not let them down. We would do the hero thing. Something our heroes are failing at.

#137 Posted by SSJ5 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been reading Thor very sporadically over the years (so they are released here), so I might not have the right mindset for this: How was Thor ever worthy when all it took was a whisper from Fury to make him unworthy. Did his not knowing whatever Fury told him trick the enchantment into thinking he's worthy? That makes zero sense to me.

#138 Posted by Thorthunder98 (6919 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssj5: Yea very good point, I don't think anything they've been doing with Thor has been making any sense since he became unworthy it's just been a huge mess

#139 Posted by antithetical (1653 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssj5 said:

I've been reading Thor very sporadically over the years (so they are released here), so I might not have the right mindset for this: How was Thor ever worthy when all it took was a whisper from Fury to make him unworthy. Did his not knowing whatever Fury told him trick the enchantment into thinking he's worthy? That makes zero sense to me.

Yeah, I know I've touched upon this issue before, that regardless of whether someone "believes" themselves worthy if they're unworthy they're still unworthy. Additionally if future events of unworthiness count, even though they technically haven't happened (and may or may not), how would Thor ever have been capable of even being worthy? And say if Thor were to commit an act he didn't know would make him unworthy, still wouldn't matter as he is unworthy at that moment despite being unaware of the consequences of that act.

#140 Posted by TheWatcherKing (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@oscars94 said:

It was recently revealed what fury had said

No Caption Provided

#141 Posted by RabumAlal (5407 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the whisper will say "Gorr was right". Just a guess though.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#142 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

Bahahahaha

#143 Posted by Lvenger (36344 posts) - - Show Bio

What a letdown.

#144 Posted by Eto (5359 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

What a letdown.

No Caption Provided

Thor fans to Aaron:

#145 Posted by arthurkerr (2215 posts) - - Show Bio

we waited that long and that is what he pulled out of his ass. He could not think of anything and that is all he came up with.

Amazingly stupid right up with the whisper itself.

Cannot figure out how to make your most manly worthy awesome hero unworthy.

Well just call him a name on the playground.D

Hey Thor , Sif says you look fat.

Thor takes him hammer and cries and goes home...

Hey Thor your a coward and the bad guys do not want to fight you

OMG noooooooooo I cannot lift the toilets seat what will In do?

Odin puts and enchantment on the royal thrown and Thor has to really go bad.

Only big boys can pee in the royal bathroom and Thor just is not worthy

just to think I wasted money on Unworthy 2 and 3 and 4 but thank you comic vine I will not get 5.

#146 Posted by Oscars94 (3196 posts) - - Show Bio
#147 Posted by z3ro180 (8778 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: so what are your thoughts on the whisper reveal ?

#148 Edited by Lvenger (36344 posts) - - Show Bio
@z3ro180 said:

@lvenger: so what are your thoughts on the whisper reveal ?

Not as bad as I feared it would be but still disappointing. It ties back solely into Aaron's run, it's contradicted by Thor doubting himself and wondering whether Gorr was right but then getting over it and it's honestly not a convincing reason for why Thor is unworthy.

#149 Posted by z3ro180 (8778 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: pretty much my thoughts aswell, there wasn't really a reason for him being unworthy and him still going by Odinson is a bit odd considering he has come to tears with his current status.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.