Holy Broken Continuity Batman

#1 Posted by killraven4334 (1038 posts) - - Show Bio

I just realized something. With Unworthy Thor. The Mjolnir Retcon cannot possibly be real, and the answers have been in front of us all along. If it was forged by trapping the mother of storms in it, HOW CAN STORMBREAKER EXIST???? Aaron is practically THROWING it in our face that we are missing something because he brought not one, but two other carbon copy weapons into HIS OWN book that completely CONTRADICT his own story!!!

So yeah, sorry for the caps and if someone else has mentioned that please point me to the thread to discuss the issue, but man I have no idea whats going on in the writers room over there, but they are either have lost their minds or there is something much larger at play here that has yet to be revealed.

#2 Posted by titing2101 (417 posts) - - Show Bio

+1 to that sir.. but aaron would pull some excuse for stormbreaker from his arse. like mjolnir from other worlds / dwarfs can clone something.

#3 Edited by Spambot (7002 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, has it explicitly been stated that this mother storm is the true source of all of Mjolnir's powers or only that it was trapped within Mjolnir? Rumor has it that Aaron has also had himself castrated as a true sign of solidarity with his feminist sisters to bring down the patriarchy.

#4 Posted by killraven4334 (1038 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot: the retcon changed the source of the hammers power, it's forging, and why it couldn't be lifted. The hammer was originally powered by the Odinforce. The granting of the powers of thor was retconned once Donald Blake ceased to exist.

James Olson wielded the hammer and did not transform into thor.

Loki weilded the hammer and did not turn into thor.

Beta ray bill wields the hammer and does not transform into thor.

Odin had absolute control over mjolnir and it's enchantment. The question then becomes how could Odin create an equal hammer to that of one containing the mother of storms? Well it's an inconsistency that's how.

#5 Edited by Spambot (7002 posts) - - Show Bio

@killraven4334: I know all about Mjolnir's history regarding its original story but just wanted to know if its power had been explicitly stated to be from this mother storm exclusively or if Mjolnir just happened to serve as a prison for the storm while also gaining power from Odin's enchantments upon it. The latter would semi work for continuity since the same thing happened with one of the Enchanters during Jurgens' run.

#6 Posted by killraven4334 (1038 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot said:

@killraven4334: I know all about Mjolnir's history regarding its original story but just wanted to know if its power had been explicitly stated to be from this mother storm exclusively or if Mjolnir just happened to serve as a prison for the storm while also gaining power from Odin's enchantments upon it. The latter would semi work for continuity since the same thing happened with one of the Enchanters during Jurgens' run.

the retcon claims the enchantment was only placed to prevent the hammer from being used as it was too "wild" as when Odin grabbed it the hammer dragged him around asgard nearly destroying it. There is no mention in the retcon of Odin imbuing the hammer with his power like there was in the story of the hammers forging in Ragnarok. The power of the hammer comes from the mother storm, and how it grants someone thors powers has not at all been explained, the point is unless Odin went out and fetched another mother storm to trap in a hunk of uru, Stormbreaker cannot exist, or the story that the librarian told Jane was lie.

#7 Posted by HaveAtThee (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

Like many writers before him, Aaron used one of these.

No Caption Provided

#8 Edited by Asgaard (3196 posts) - - Show Bio

@killraven4334:

First i want to say that i really dislike all the Aaron's stuff after that whisper... Buts lets correctly acknowledge Thor's canon so that we can be fair in our criticisms to Aaron's current (and in my view really bad/forced) writing...

the retcon claims the enchantment was only placed to prevent the hammer from being used as it was too "wild" as when Odin grabbed it the hammer dragged him around asgard nearly destroying it. There is no mention in the retcon of Odin imbuing the hammer with his power like there was in the story of the hammers forging in Ragnarok.

I only read parts of the Mjolnir retcon issue, but that enchantment, was not the worthiness enchantment, i mean Thor was not born yet and the hammer (still) has his name on it (we saw the inscription when Jane pick it), so Aaron will probably also retell (or make a new fit) with the point when Odin made the worthiness enchantment to teach Thor humility...

The power of the hammer comes from the mother storm, and how it grants someone thors powers has not at all been explained, the point is unless Odin went out and fetched another mother storm to trap in a hunk of uru, Stormbreaker cannot exist, or the story that the librarian told Jane was lie.

Like i said still is an open arc, the all point of this story is that Jane is Thor (she obviously is not) not that Jane is a sentient galactic storm (she even got Thor physical characteristics, speech and behavior), nothing is going to save this execution (more a pr and less seeded and story rooted) but Aaron can still use several plot devices here, besides delve again into the worthiness enchantment that may still explain why the hammer still gives the wielder the power of Thor (again that enchantment in the retcon issue was not the worthiness one), he can also use the part when Doctor Strange fix the hammer with Thor life force to say that the sentient hammer (unlike with the other worthy wielders, how convenient would that be to have the female version of Thor!?!) also gave Jane access to that energy... In the end he can still make it about worthy = power of Thor, even if there was no need for the (cheesy/stupid) sentient galactic storm... [Assuming that this was an organic story where the new wielder could actually learn how to use the hammer, but it was more for Pc purposes and character Mjolnir was a plot device to give the impression of (female Thor) capability, even if in the end Jane is just a host for the (now sentient) hammer]

Regarding Stormbreaker lore, yup its a huge plot hole, but that is more the norm since that whisper... (lol)

Probably will not reply more, i am really saturated from all the butchering that Aaron did with Thor/Asgard, just think we should correctly acknowledge the canon and be fair with Aaron even if doesn't deserve much credit from Thor fan base...

#9 Posted by titing2101 (417 posts) - - Show Bio

too many unexplained things since that whisper and it goes on with the motherstorm.. really liked the GOT run with especially the god butcher.

but he really did too much with the God butcher arc .. he really did butchered a god....THOr :(

#10 Posted by killraven4334 (1038 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgaard: fair enough, I suppose the lack of specificity is there, yet we cannot deny the heavy handed implications. So the worm left himself some wiggle room. But at least we agree that the existence of Stormbreaker is massive challenge to reconcile with the implied lore changes.

#11 Posted by arthurkerr (2031 posts) - - Show Bio

Its just lame Thor has power over storms without the aid of any hammer. To say otherwise is to insult the character.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.