Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8586 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Anyone else noticed the big personality shift of Thor in recent years?

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Spambot

By Thor I am talking about the Thor we all know and love, the one true Thor. A few of the differences which comes to mind since about the time Fraction took over or even before(going back to when JMS came in):

1. He stopped using the old english style of speaking for the most part which always kind of set him apart from mortals and imo was kind of neat way to make him seem like a god

2. He tends to act much more impulsively and often times more like a hot headed teenager than a thousands year old god of thunder.

3. Often does things which seem out of character for the older Thor. Things such as nonchalantly telling Surfer he has no problem killing him despite them having been semi friends for decades and saying the same to Jane when going after her just because she is worthy and he isn't. Older Thor wasn't in such a hurry to kill people who could be allies and tended to show a bit more humility and wisdom in how he dealt with others. Its kind of cringe worthy to see how he is written quite often in recent years. Plus the whole overly mopey Thor we got after he became unworthy.

4. The lack of respect for Odin as well as Odin now acting like a complete idiot a lot of the time. Thor sometimes in more classic days would have disagreements with Odin and even fight him but there was always an underlying respect for him as the Allfather and his wisdom. Newer Thor often shows zero in the way of respect for him and more so there is no real basis for how he acts towards him usually or even if there is Thor goes way overboard in how he talks to him. Its just like he is some 14 yr old kid angry at his dad and the world for no reason other than he just is or because his dad divorced his mom and doesn't see him as much. It makes him appear foolish and not godly.

So those are a few things that come to mind off the top of my head. Anyone else agree or have any other thoughts on this?

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Asgaard

When there is no agenda some writers still get how Thor respects Odin, and who in fact is Odin!

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5a3162faeafe3
    deactivated-5a3162faeafe3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Since that happened, why has he gone back to being unworthy?

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Since that happened, why has he gone back to being unworthy?

I am not reading current marvel comics, but from what i know Thor didn't show up again since New Avengers issue #32 and that battle with the Beyonders, Thors from Secret Wars were alternate versions, either way Marvel/Aaron will keep the current agenda with Thor title so probably he still be unworthy (Jonathan Hickman cool story with the Beyonders will be ignored) just for the sake of the creative decisions around Thordis, (like the whisper) so i wouldn't expect anything positive with the current creative team around Thor/Odin/Asgard... Maybe another team replaces the current near the Mcu Thor Ragnarok and things can change to story rooted comics again...

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgardianbrony: I don't read any of the Jane Thor stuff but what I am referencing regarding the real Thor goes back long before Jane became Thor. It goes back to Fraction and JMS.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could simply chalk it up to not being the same Thor after the last Ragnarok cycle, though likely some mandate from on high that Thor be made "edgier" and also more "human" so readers could better relate, seems to have been a fairly common trend over the last dozen years or so.

hercuthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would not include JMS' Thor in this at all. JMS "reboot" of Thor was awesome and he had a ton of respect for Thor and Odin and made Thor seem extremely godly. Fractions Thor on the other hand is what you are complaining about and with valid reason. Fraction did not have a strong grip on how to write Thor or who Thor was etc etc

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hercuthor: JMS was good though there are some things I didn't like about it. He did start talking less in the old english style during his run though.

hercuthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By hercuthor

@spambot: He did begin to stray from using the old english some, but he wrote Thor better than anyone after him by far. Better than Fraction, Aaron, and Gillen. So I can let that slide, especially since it doesn't make a lot of sense anyway haha

Avatar image for deactivated-5a3162faeafe3
    deactivated-5a3162faeafe3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: ah okay, gotcha. thanks for explaining!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.