Aaron's Thor run reading order Question

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

So, I'm collecting Aaron's Thor run through trades, and I hit a bit of a snag in the order I should read them. So I know Thor God of Thunder HC vol 1 (1-11) and vol 2 (12-25) are the beginning. I believe Original Sin HC and the Companion sets up his next arcs? After that is Thor (1-8, annual 1) which is the beginning of the female Thor saga, so my question is where are the thick HC after this? Or will they even produce more?

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I would not touch his works if you paid me. But good luck.

adderworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would avoid them if possible. I can't think of anything good to say about them as a series.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ignore them God of Thunder Vol 1 and Vol 2 are really good people start complaining after that

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

beyond God of Thunder. all of them sucks

TheLurkingFear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheLurkingFear

Don't support Aaron's bullcrap, go buy Dan Jurgen's run, it's light years better.

ASGARDIANBRONY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Don't support Aaron's bullcrap, go buy Dan Jurgen's run, it's light years better.

Dan Jurgens Thor is best Thor.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Unless you're reading stuff from God of Thunder run I wouldn't touch his stuff

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Spambot

Jurgens run is just now being released in omnibus format also. The first half at least. Second isn't out yet.

Carrickclash03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

BUMP. @ultimatepower6 , I strongly doubt dosagree with all of then comment section here. By all means, collect Jason Aaron’s thor stuff, it is all amazing. Original sin is one of the best mini series, and “mighty Thor” the jane Foster Thor is soooo great, andthe art work is the best I’ve seen.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor God of Thunder 1-25

Thor (Avengrs Now Relaunch) 1-8

Secret Wars: Thors 1-4

The Mighty Thor (All New All Different Marvel Now Relaunch) 1-23

Unworthy Thor 1-5

Generations: Thor 1

The Mighty Thor 700-Onwards

This is all of Aaron's run in a nutshell so far. I personally love his run and think it's one of the definitive runs on the character and highly recommend checking it out.

TheLurkingFear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thelurkingfear: How is Brubakers run on Cap a definitive run on Captain America when it's about Bucky for nearly 70% of the run? Greg Pak's Hulk saga latched focus onto both Skaar and Amadeus in the place of Banner for extended periods of time. Aaron's run on Thor isn't over and the Odinson has been a focus for a large part of it. Yes he hasn't been the primary character for awhile but neither was Steve or Bruce in the example of runs I gave you.

GrayKnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642 Thanks very much for the reading list. The trades don't make it clear what order they were published in.

@adderworks You seriously can't think of anything good about Aaron's Thor? Have you seen the art? The Eisner-award-level colouring?

@thelurkingfear It's a definitive Thor run for the God Butcher alone, but even when Jane Foster has the hammer, it's definitive work on Thor. She was Thor at that time, and the differences between her as Thor and the conventional Thor provide contrast that helps to define both characters. Thus "definitive", and the run is also definitive due to its quality. Not only does definition come from contrast, but also from what stays consistent between Foster and Odinson when they hold the hammer.

You haters must be the kind of people that are made uncomfortable by non-whites and females being in Last Jedi. Probably also hated Superior Spider-man.

I'll agree, Unworthy Thor is comparatively boring, and I'm so far not loving the current series. I don't know if I find any Thor without Mjolnir boring, or if those stories just aren't much fun.

I'll also disclaim that the "The Accursed" storyline with that terrible League of Realms or whatever it was sucked hard. When Aaron writes characters with abnormal speech patterns it's a hallmark of the cringe-inducing garbage that characterized his post-adamantium-men stuff on Wolverine. It makes you wonder if it's even the same writer. That arc was clearly a phone-in, though, since he'd exhausted Ribic and maybe couldn't secure a good artist. Thori verges on this type of annoying.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grayknox: No problem

Yeah tpbs are always frustrating to figure out chronologically especially when titles criss cross

adderworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By adderworks

@grayknox: Ehhh, no? Well, I cannot think of something that outweighs his contempt of my fellow fans. I had a friend that convinced me to give him a chance, and the first thing I see is Aaron's attacks on fans inside a comic. Aaron is toxic to the brand, and the Identity Thief stole Thor's name, weapon, and comic. It was hijacked for a long time, and the story involved ends...in...the...sun. :/ From start to finish, it was a train wreck of the most boring order. It was not even interesting enough to watch as it burns in the ashes of Aaron's contempt and arrogance for the fans of the franchise. That's its greatest sin - the worst sin of anything ever authored for entertainment. It is boring.

GrayKnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adderworks Come on, man. You can't say that you didn't read it AND it was boring. I read it, and it wasn't boring, and I think objectively I've got more authority on that account because I read it. It was not boring. And the story ended with some action in the sun, but an amazing tying together of Thor's, Odinson's, Freyja's, and Odin's character arcs. And I have to say, as a long time fan of the franchise, those arcs were well in character for those characters. Especially Odin, and the scene with Odin and Thor at the gates of Valhalla, man, if you haven't read that, then you especially can't comment on the series being boring.

Is there an explicit instance of Aaron attacking long-time fans that I'm not recollecting, or is that claim about fans being insulted just more of your "the main character is female and I take that as an insult"?

Are you familiar with Marvel comics? There are often long periods where a character isn't the typical version of themselves, and could be counted as "hijacked". Wolverine spent years without adamantium, Rhodey was Iron Man, there was a New Fantastic Four along with countless other variations on the FF including when Black Panther and Storm replaced Reed and Sue, Doc Ock was the Superior Spider-man, in fact the guys on War Rocket Ajax (http://www.warrocketajax.com/) were just recently talking about how there isn't a single Marvel event where all the characters are the standard version of themselves. Why do they do this? Usually the variations provide an opportunity to explore the character from a different angle and thus yield some good stories, and they add to the foundation of the main character so that there are more interesting stories to tell when they come back. You can't just tell stories about the same character for decades without changing things up a little.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Asgaard

@grayknox:

Is there an explicit instance of Aaron attacking long-time fans that I'm not recollecting, or is that claim about fans being insulted just more of your "the main character is female and I take that as an insult"?

What you wrote was and is the worse of how Marvel/Aaron insulted Thor fan base, NOT making any distinction from plot/characters/continuity criticisms and misogyny... Among many many others, Odin's portrayal is completely out of the character and that sentient storm bs, was just a very unsophisticated & continuity contradictory plot device so that Jane as the female version of Thor was perceived as very capable and didn't have to learn anything like for example Eric Masterson but TOTALLY undermines Mjolnir's lore, point that out doesn't make anyone misogynist because..... Wait for it... Yeah fiction can be criticized.... And try to derail this characters/plot/continuity criticisms with the misogyny argument, its pathetic and incredibly cringy, like that Titania panels were...

adderworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By adderworks

@grayknox: I followed it up until issue 5 which is where he makes a direct attack on the fans....which I should not have to tell you if you are a fan that is reading the comic. I'm going to assume you just forgot about the fifth issue. It's a fairly err...what's the word..."active" point in the fanbase. The entire internet was made aware of the attack in that specific issue.

...and yes...I did skip the "The Sun" comic. The Memes and pictures are enough for me. The Sun...just...the Sun... I cannot even begin to describe the sense of wonder at what the author is thinking in terms of writing. It's not even lore breaking as much as it is so totally outside the scope of established lore that it would be charity to describe it as broken lore. It's like having Dark Phoenix stub her toe on a comet.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.