Follow

Thor: Ragnarok

Movie » Thor: Ragnarok released on November 03, 2017.

Picking up after the events of Avengers: Age of Ultron, Thor must fight for his life on an alien world after being exiled by Hela, the Asgardian goddess of death.

Who won the gladiator fight in Thor:Ragnarok?

• 49 results
    HDoom16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Who won the gladiator fight in Thor:Ragnarok? (103 votes)

Hulk 9%
    Thor 73%
    Could have went either way 18%
     • 
    TwentyGoodMen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was undecided but based on Thor's amp, Grandmaster interfering and who held the advantage prior to it ending, the film was implying Thor was winning and would have won

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Once Thor lit up it became clear that he would've had the upper hand and eventually won imo and the grandmaster thought the Hulk would lose so he zapped Thor

tj850

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On paper Hulk won

Anything else, Thor won.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a89ca5697052
    deactivated-5a89ca5697052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was undecided but based on Thor's amp, Grandmaster interfering and who held the advantage prior to it ending, the film was implying Thor was winning and would have won

Stefano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor was winning and the grandmaster has to stop the fight. Obviously there was no winner but the movie made it clear Thor was about to win.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither won but Thor had the advantage.

Wolderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twentygoodmen said:

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the match Hulk won. but before grandmaster activated the disc it is implied thor would win. hence the disc activation

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk couldn't even win a rigged match.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
    MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk won via sabotage

Thor had the advantage though

Overall Hulk is stronger by a margin but Thor is more skilled and more powerful in his lightning god mode

cfrehse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk tanked Thor's best strikes at the end. Grandmaster was worried hulk would lose but hulk was still unfazed. It would have kept on going for a while. Before that hulk would have killed thor

Avatar image for deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf
    deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thor wouldve stomped

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor clearly won, or rather would've won had Grandmaster not intervened. I actually think that it's a bit silly that a shock collar would work on a lightning based hero, especially after he taps into his full power, but I chaulk that up to PIS.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are people saying Thor was clearly going to win? Hulk won because it was rigged, yes, but nothing implied Hulk was losing.

Rag_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor clearly won, or rather would've won had Grandmaster not intervened. I actually think that it's a bit silly that a shock collar would work on a lightning based hero, especially after he taps into his full power, but I chaulk that up to PIS.

That's exactly what I was thinking! I guess we have to assume although it looked like a electrical based taser but it actually was some other technology that just looked like that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a235d4b20340
    deactivated-5a235d4b20340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk won a fixed match.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor clearly would have won if not for Grandmaster's intervention. And Grandmaster knew it, which was why he intervened in the first place.

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rag_man said:
    @truemoonchilde said:

That's exactly what I was thinking! I guess we have to assume although it looked like a electrical based taser but it actually was some other technology that just looked like that.

Yea. We didn't get a true origin for the Grandmaster, but he did mention at one point that he was several milleniums old, implying that it is likely similar to his comic origin. If that's the case then it's not unreasonable to assume that he was using ridiculously advanced tech. Unfortunately, the way it was filmed it really did just look like he was shocking him, so unless Marvel releases an official companion book that goes into more detail we can't really know for sure.

Rag_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rag_man said:
    @truemoonchilde said:

Yea. We didn't get a true origin for the Grandmaster, but he did mention at one point that he was several milleniums old, implying that it is likely similar to his comic origin. If that's the case then it's not unreasonable to assume that he was using ridiculously advanced tech. Unfortunately, the way it was filmed it really did just look like he was shocking him, so unless Marvel releases an official companion book that goes into more detail we can't really know for sure.

Funny how we have to defend the movie makers, it definitely was a "what the..?" moment. Also why couldn't Thor just summon lighting to fry the tech on his neck? But your right, the Grand Master, an Elder of the Universe, has been around so long; I think he said millions of years old, we're left to assume it's more than just some simple taser technology.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor

Superhero24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rag_man said:
    @truemoonchilde said:
    @rag_man said:
    @truemoonchilde said:

Funny how we have to defend the movie makers, it definitely was a "what the..?" moment. Also why couldn't Thor just summon lighting to fry the tech on his neck? But your right, the Grand Master, an Elder of the Universe, has been around so long; I think he said millions of years old, we're left to assume it's more than just some simple taser technology.

Grandmaster did say he would be millions of years old. That collar also turned his veins blue and made blue lines on his face. It was most likely messing with his nervous system, for he seemed to be paralyzed at times when being tased.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was pretty clear cut Thor would have won had the fight not been fixed.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Well, basically Thor gets all lightningy and hits a lot harder(later in the movie its stated that is because Mjolnir was just used tp focus thors powers, so his hits were presumably as hard as strikes with Mjolnir now), but still just get back up and they go to clash again so the grandmaster uses the slave disc to stop Thor during his attack leading to hulk knocking it out. The director troed not to get on the bad side of whiny fanboys so he left the fight undecided. Its not as clear cut as most want to tell you that Thor would have won if things had continued. After all Thor frantically tries to stop Hulk from fighting a certain being way beyond his own weightclass by the end of the movie and by the logic people use to say Thor would have definetly won here you would have to say Hulk would have definetly won that fight(and I kinda doubt it).

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor was winning, he was landing the better hits. But neither really looked hurt during that fight. Who knows what would have happened if it continued.

There are many boxing matches where the first half of the fight can have one person dominate and the last half someone else dominates and gets the KO.

Without either being on the ropes and near their ends, it's too inconclusive to me.

IAmTheLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inconclusive. Thor was winning at the time of the stoppage, though, so he gets the vote. That's not to say he would have won for sure, as the fight went through phases where both fighters looked superior. In fact, once Thor said "screw it", it appeared he was going to have a decisive victory, but then Hulk caught the hammer with one hand and looked like he was going to kill Thor, until Thor activated his lightning powers. Thor hit Hulk twice with massive blasts, and still didn't really do any lasting damage...

The Grandmaster had to stop the fight for fear of losing his Champion, and having no replacement. He already told Thor he could leave (assuming he'd stand no chance against Hulk) if he defeated his Champion.

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deltahuman

No clear Victor. Hulk was visibly stronger and dominating initially. Thor only managed to knock him back and actually Hurt him when he harnessed his electrokinesis. But then the Grandmaster intervened and weakened Thor and there was no fair fight anymore. But it's ridiculous when people directly assume Hulk would've lost. He was clearly standing waiting for more. They'd have destroyed the arena itself if the fight went on longer considering Hulk was getting angrier and Thor got more powerful. The Grandmaster hadn't seen anyone able to do that to the Hulk till then. Everyone lost to him. But Thor was fighting and after power up, even staggering Hulk. He had his doubts and he rigged the match. Hulk was okay though. He could've gotten angrier and the fight could've lasted way longer. I actually think Hulk is stronger than Thor physically considering by the end of the movie, Hulk managed to push back/stagger the Skyscraper sized Surtur momentarily.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Inconclusive. Thor was winning at the time of the stoppage, though, so he gets the vote. That's not to say he would have won for sure, as the fight went through phases where both fighters looked superior. In fact, once Thor said "screw it", it appeared he was going to have a decisive victory, but then Hulk caught the hammer with one hand and looked like he was going to kill Thor, until Thor activated his lightning powers. Thor hit Hulk twice with massive blasts, and still didn't really do any lasting damage...

The Grandmaster had to stop the fight for fear of losing his Champion, and having no replacement. He already told Thor he could leave (assuming he'd stand no chance against Hulk) if he defeated his Champion.

No clear Victor. Hulk was visibly stronger and dominating initially. Thor only managed to knock him back and actually Hurt him when he harnessed his electrokinesis. But then the Grandmaster intervened and weakened Thor and there was no fair fight anymore. But it's ridiculous when people directly assume Hulk would've lost. He was clearly standing waiting for more. They'd have destroyed the arena itself if the fight went on longer considering Hulk was getting angrier and Thor got more powerful. The Grandmaster hadn't seen anyone able to do that to the Hulk till then. Everyone lost to him. But Thor was fighting and after power up, even staggering Hulk. He had his doubts and he rigged the match. Hulk was okay though. He could've gotten angrier and the fight could've lasted way longer. I actually think Hulk is stronger than Thor physically considering by the end of the movie, Hulk managed to push back/stagger the Skyscraper sized Surtur momentarily.

These. The battle was inconclusive/a stalemate at best. Both could have fought a longer battle, with Hulk growing more stronger/powerful and angrier as the fight went on while Thor would have kept unleashing his lightning. Their mutual full-on strike temporarily dazed them both, but both were fully ready and capable to fight on indefinitely. They'd probably annihilated the arena if the Grandmaster hadn't stepped in. I don't get where these people think Thor won at all. It's absolutely ridiculous.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#31 tparks  Online

Hulk won. That's how it happened. I don't think this is debatable. Lol

If it's who would have won without Thor's plot collar, then who knows... It was meant to be left without one character being the decisive better of the two.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rag_man said:
    @truemoonchilde said:

Well, regular taser worked just fine in Thor I, even though Thor was by all appearances weakened.

KingofBBC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a thor movie, who do you think would win?

HDoom16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HDoom16

@slimj87d: that's what I'm saying. Neither of them had any visible injuries on their bodies despite being hit by each other's hardest attacks, (which is kinda stupid if you think about it) and they both looked ready to keep going with Hulk raising his fists and Thor walking forward before it was ended. Ultra fanboys though will obviously point to whatever hero they like

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hdoom16: I have a theory. To keep the movie family friendly they decided to not show a lot of blood if they could.

There were a lot of instances where there would have been tons of blood but we didn't see it.

I know we did see blood here and there, but sounds like quantity matters.

A lot of things can affect a rating of a movie, like if you say the F word once in a pg-13 movie you can't get away with much more. From my understanding, you get point deductions going from g to pg to pg-13,etc.

So maybe the damage in all the fights had to be tone down, specially when Hela massacres crowds of people.

Tjakrabirawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Tjakrabirawa

Jeff goldblum

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

Hulk won. It was rigged in his favour but he still won...

Thor is my favourite Marvel character but that doesn't mean his losses don't count. He lost.

He looked good in defeat but it was still a defeat.

Jeff goldblum

Also, this.

keshav jha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By keshav jha

It could have gone either way, but I think that Thor had the upper hand.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

People are saying Hulk would've lost....Hulk was waiting for more really. Even when Thor was amped he was only knocked for a bit and could still go at him. But yeah it's undecided due to Grandmaster intervening.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Hulk won by montreal screwjob

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor.

ThunderPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rag_man said:
    @truemoonchilde said:

Well, regular taser worked just fine in Thor I, even though Thor was by all appearances weakened.

You said it yourself, Thor was weakened. Thor after all, was a regular human during that scene in Thor 1.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor was kicking Hulk’s ass until the Grandmaster saved his sorry backside

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderprince: there's a good possibility that the shock collar is actually a type of nerve impulse inhibitor rather than just a "regular Tazer".

Seriously, zapping a "rock monster" like Korg wold be kind of pointless (stone doesn't conduct electricity) unless the electric arch is just a by-product of the disc's function.

HmThatwasgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Undecided, but it's pretty clear that Thor had the upper hand.

StrongTower7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By StrongTower7

Thor's skill more than made up for his slightlyinferior strength. He was clearly going to win towards the end, which is why Grandmaster had to activate the shock collar.

And on that note...can we talk about how a measly shock collar is supposed to overpower the god ofthunder??? :(

odinson011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By odinson011

Thor was clearly winning until the grandmaster interfered. he is the god of thunder but i think that his thunder punches wouldnt have cause that much harm to the hulk.

There were many interesting theories about ragnarok. one of them was that we might see the soul gem.

http://www.crazzycomics.com/things-you-should-know-about-thor-ragnarok/

Yarva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard to tell. They both had moments where they were on top but it never looked like either one was ever really in control.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.