k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

The Last Days of Midgard was simply epic. The action was larger than life and the story was one entertaining beat after another. This epilogue, however, is basically devoid of action yet still manages to be every bit as good as the previous issues. In fact, some just may finish the issue and believe it's better.

Jason Aaron reveals the latest storyline isn't just some fun dose of action that'll soon be forgotten. Everything that has happened in this series has a lasting impact and clearly isn't being left in the past. Not only does this script deliver some honestly heartwarming and emotional moments, but it's takes major steps to tease the book's future, too. And by "tease" what I really mean is "offer a huge amount of hype and buildup!" It really is impressive how Aaron's able to make this such a memorable issue and establish what lies ahead. He covers a heck of a lot of ground and makes sure every scene is thoroughly engaging. I could elaborate so much more about some of the big developments, but I don't want to potentially spoil any of them for you. Needless to say, a lot happens and it's packed with a lot of heart.

I was a big fan of artist Agustin Alessio's work on STAR WARS: DARTH VADER AND THE GHOST PRISON, so you can bet I was thrilled to discover he's providing the artwork for a vast majority of The Last Days of Migard's epilogue issue. The best word I can use to describe Alessio's work is "powerful." The story arc has been full of massive action, but this issue focuses on the aftermath of that action and what it means for the characters as they move forward. Alessio's tremendously detailed art is beautifully polished and so realistic. His character work simply feels so real and you can easily get a read on what's going through the minds of these fictional beings. This alone makes him a great fit for this chapter, but then Alessio does a superb job creating the somber environment these characters are stuck in. The attention given to the gloomy sky is noticeable and most definitely appreciated. It's not all bleak and sadness, though. The visuals do a terrific job selling the more touching and humorous moments, as well. I could go on and on, but I think it would be easiest just to say Agustin Alessio's artwork is phenomenal. Oh, and I can't forget to mention that the storyline's art team -- Esad Ribic and Ive Svorcina return for a legitimately thrilling conclusion. Hype has been built, that's for sure.

The Bad

Honestly, I have no problems with this issue. It's another topnotch read from the consistently amazing series.

The Verdict

THOR: GOD OF THUNDER #24 is the perfect way to wrap up The Last Days of Midgard. The story has been a ride that's full of non-stop excitement, and this epilogue is an insightful way to see what all of that action meant for everyone involved. It's far too often that stories dish out colossal damage and there's no real ramifications. This isn't the case in THOR: GOD OF THUNDER -- not at all. In addition to being a ridiculously well-written conclusion to one story, this issue is also loaded with attention-grabbing teasers. And then there's Agustin Alessio's artwork. To call it "impressive" really would be an understatement. I never was a huge fan of Thor, but Jason Aaron's run is brilliant and can't be missed.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Cap10nate

Great wrap up to the arc. Definitely a lot emotion.

I'm a little confused with the ending though with Galactus. Does the black weapon come back and he now wields it? Or is someone else laughing?

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As amazing as this series has been, the now three epilogue/in between arc issues, I think 12, 18, and this, have all been emotional, exceptionally written, and phenomenal issues.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate: I think the weapon took him over, kind of like the Venom symbiote. That's why he's called "The Butcher of Worlds" in the final caption.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Cap10nate

@cap10nate: I think the weapon took him over, kind of like the Venom symbiote. That's why he's called "The Butcher of Worlds" in the final caption.

That's what I thought, I just have never seen Big G laughing before, let alone like a maniac. I originally thought that it might have been Malekith freed from from a prison on Mars or something whenever Galactus started to devour the planet as that seemed like his laugh.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really happy they did an epilogue for this arc, I'm very excited to see the butcher of worlds!! How's Thor gonna deal with that!?!

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This book is so mindblowingly good. This issue was so powerful, one of the greatest yet in my opinion it's so very easy to connect with Thor, his unconditional love for Midgard and the people comes across so nicely, Thor is the bloody greatest

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_stegman  Moderator

I read the first trade, God Butcher and wasn't impressed, but this is one of the few titles to consistently get good reviews..maybe I'll give the second trade a try.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I dropped off this series with the Malekith story and jumped back on with this issue…even though I missed the entire arc I thought this issue was simply amazing. I think I'll go back and read this arc.

TheMagicStik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheMagicStik

I don't get why Thor doesn't just crush the Minotaur dude and when he turns back into a Minotaur people will be like "holy crap Thor was right all along".

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_stegman  Moderator

@z3ro180: Meh, just didn't find it interesting.

SlamAdams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 59

@the_stegman: If you didn't like the God-Butcher story, I wouldn't recommend the rest of it.

@arturocalakayvee: I sort of did the same thing. The Malkeith arc definitely kind of bored me, but as soon as I saw new arc coming I jumped back on. I thought it was really good.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By z3ro180
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

I read the first trade, God Butcher and wasn't impressed, but this is one of the few titles to consistently get good reviews..maybe I'll give the second trade a try.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother if you weren't a fan of the opening arc.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Like I keep saying >_>....the Old Thor timeline needs its own series

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#16  Edited By Teerack

Is this book still about really irrelevant things that don't have any effect on anything outside of the book?

I stopped reading it after the dark elf story because it went back to jumping around the time line and removed all sense of danger since it has old man Thor so you know normal Thor will be fine and it has young Thor which is going to be fine because clearly there is normal Thor.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only liked this book when Gorr was a villain.

Dstick88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that last page has had me thinking for well over 12 hours what happened!?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I don't get why Thor hasn't gone to Loki for help. This is Loki's kind o fight and I'm sure he could win it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dstick88: gorr's weapon fused with Galactus kind of like how it did with Thor.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will Galactus be in more stories ?

Dstick88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goorlactus! @jayc1324 cool cant wait to see where that goes, if anywhere. Since the god butcher this has been an amazing run

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.