Follow

Thing

Character » Thing appears in 8020 issues.

Ben Grimm, better known as the Thing, is the original quintessential tough-guy of the Marvel Universe. But, because of his transformation, he's also the tragic member of the Fantastic Four. Ben was an ace test-pilot until exposure to intense cosmic radiation mutated him into a rock-skinned monster with immense superhuman strength. Ben's exterior is much harder than stone which gives him a rather gruff disposition; but deep down, he has a heart of gold.

Why the Thing in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Makes Sense

• 59 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

When we saw the teaser images for All-New, All-Different Marvel, one that immediately stood out was Ben Grimm, the Thing, wearing a Guardians of the Galaxy uniform. The big questions were why was he on that team and how come he wasn't with the Fantastic Four anymore? With this month's GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #1 and Ben's past, we have some answers.

No Caption Provided

Even though the Thing hasn't spent his entire superhero career on the Fantastic Four, he's always been a mainstay of the team. With his numerous adventures with the FF, he's been out in space time and time again. Even back in the very first issue, we saw his skills as an astronaut shown.

No Caption Provided

When Reed Richards made his plan to take his experimental ship to the stars, Ben was his only choice to pilot it. Of course, this trip lead to the transformation of the quartet and whatever career goals Ben may have had were turned upside down.

In a page from GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #1, we hear Ben's thoughts on being out in space.

No Caption Provided

As Ben and writer Brian Michael Bendis put it, this is what he wanted. He wanted to be out among the stars. As part of the Fantastic Four, he spent a bit of time traveling out to space and even places like the Negative Zone. It's likely he just never really had a chance to enjoy the time since each time he was out there, it was usually during a big and dangerous mission with a lot at stake. As part of the Guardians, he'll pretty much be living in space. There'll definitely be downtime, as seen in that image above.

Ben being away from the FF and Earth isn't anything new either. After the original Secret Wars, Ben decided to stay on the original Battleworld.

No Caption Provided

When Ben discovered he was able to control his transformation from the Thing back to his human guise, he decided to stay behind. She-Hulk took his place on the team and he spent some time exploring the planet and other things. It did turn out the change was a bit more psychological rather than dependent on the planet but that's another story. Ben spent time, basically exploring alien worlds (that had been pieced together to form Battleworld).

With the Guardians, he'll get to explore different places while not being on the rushed schedule the FF had. There won't be an immediate need to zip back home to check on Reed and Sue's kid, Franklin. Ben will have some expertise to offer the team. In this manner, Ben actually makes more sense than having Flash Thompson on the team. Flash may have served in the Army but that wouldn't quite prepare him for space adventures. His only connection to space is the fact he's bonded with the alien Venom symbiote. If he really wanted to, he could probably find a way to get back home pretty easily since we've seen the Guardians and Star-Lord journey back with little effort.

What about the actual Fantastic Four? Don't they need Ben?

In this month's UNCANNY AVENGERS #1, we saw Johnny Storm make a little mention about the team and Reed and Sue.

No Caption Provided

There is no more Fantastic Four.

What we know is eight months have passed since the current SECRET WARS started (or perhaps ended). We don't know what happened to everyone or how the heroes, Earth, and universe were brought back. It seems something happened to Reed and Sue. Either they sacrificed themselves or they were killed as a result in the final battle against Doctor Doom. With half the team missing, Ben and Johnny could have continued "serving in their memory." The two did continue on the team when Reed and Sue took time off and were temporarily replaced by Black Panther and Storm.

This isn't simply a second honeymoon for the Richards. The FF have always been more than just a team--they're family. It could've been too hard or painful to try to continue without them. This could be why Ben decided to retreat to the stars. Johnny will be keeping himself busy in the pages of UNCANNY AVENGERS and UNCANNY INHUMANS.

Ben may have tried to escape the situation but he's not one to just sit around and feel sorry for himself. Joining up with the Guardians allows him to get out into space and still fight the good fight. We'll just assume he wasn't totally serious about his time with the Fantastic Four being just a detour.

Because this is comic books, this current status quo won't be forever. We'll eventually find out what happened to Reed and Sue. (Does anyone really believe they're dead?) We can be sure we'll see a return of the Fantastic Four as well. For now, we're getting some stories that aren't just a rehash of over fifty years of stories. Ben back out in space in a bigger capacity will be interesting to see. He won't have to worry about Johhny's practical jokes either. Let's just hope he survives long enough to make it back to Earth whenever it's time for the FF to return.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm sorry, I'm posting before I read the article due to time constraints, so if this was already addressed, I apologize.

My only issue with him being on the guardians of the galaxy is what capabilities does he actually bring to the table. What he can do that Drax and/or Groot haven't already covered?

Spideycap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Spideycap

They should have recruited Peter Parker and Scott Lang and kept the Fantastic 4 alive. Both of them are classic F4 characters and it would make for fun team. Just imagining Ben trying to deal with those 3 makes me laugh.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Thing. Drax. Goot. Rocket Raccoon. Venom and KITTY PRYDE!!! What a team!!!

Now I have to read this!!! Just hope it's good

~MiB

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ben refers to god in his thought panel. does he remember secret wars?

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bendis... How the... Bednis he can make sense of one change in one panel and make no sense of a lot of other changes in all panels he have?)))

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought the issue last week. Seems like a good place to put thing while the FF name has disappeared dur to legal constraints. I mean cmon why not use Thing? He's a popular character whom shouldnt just be forgotten.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

@spideycap: You can say this about most teams but in previous run, we had both Angela and Gamora in same team.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
    Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry, I'm posting before I read the article due to time constraints, so if this was already addressed, I apologize.

My only issue with him being on the guardians of the galaxy is what capabilities does he actually bring to the table. What he can do that Drax and/or Groot haven't already covered?

I think that the problem will be more with Groot and Venom than with Drax. I mean, Drax will be the weapon/tecnique/combat/tactics expert [and now that we don't have Gamora, he will be the only "true fighter"], while Groot, Venom and Ben will be the Powerhouse, raw strenght and power...

But the problem is the same...

Anyway I think Ben will be very usefull as a Pilot for the Guardians ship. Without Gamora and Peter-Quill, only Rocket may be considered a good space-pilot, but a team may need some alternation between at leas two pilot :)

But sure, some doubt rest...

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Meh. I feel the Guardians work best when they deal with lesser known cosmic characters and concepts. Having the Thing and Kitty Pride on the team kinda takes away from that. Venom had potential, but clearly Bendis isn't using him to the full advantage.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
    CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ben Grimm doesnt need to breathe so he doesnt need a spacesuit. Then again Bendis would never do research on a character before using them, so who am I kidding.

PROTOTYPE_NZL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PROTOTYPE_NZL

Quick comment, what the hell happened to Ryan Stegman's art!! jeeze that Human Torch image

Hyena_Lobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want Guardians to find a new pocket of Marvel Space to expand stories. After the popularity of the movie, grand stories like Annihilation and the Nova Corps developments, I think Marvel Space/Cosmos needs something new.

We now have veteran Heroes, who don't need to be broken in, with some incredible powers but also potential for great personal narratives in a team. We probally won't see a grand space opera, but enough with Thanos, Kree, Shiar and Earth for a while.

Hell, have ROM Space Knight show up haha

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
    51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

I think everyone can agree with the fact that Ben Grimm being with the Guardians makes a lot of sense. The Fantastic Four have been tooling around the universe for so long that he has a sort of permanent presence out in space.

The real question, however, is what asset does he bring to the table that isn't already covered by the rest of the team? Granted, he's a considerable degree stronger than them, but it just doesn't feel like he serves much of a role that couldn't (or isn't) already be filled by an existing team member.

Yeah, he fits on the team, just maybe not this incarnation of it. Maybe young Cyclops? Introduces some youthful inexperience, and I'm pretty sure Kitty would vouch for him. Beta Ray Bill? He's a metric shit ton stronger than all of them, and offers a mystical air to the team. Even better: Broo, from the X-Men. Makes more sense than him being with them, plus he'd easily be the smartest member. There just seems to be a hundred ways you could go with this, and they chose someone who could serve a more crucial role elsewhere.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Thing joining the Guardians is a really great idea. Team lineups change (sometimes too quickly), and Thing seems like a natural fit. He's a pilot, spent time in space before, and looks more alien than he does human. He's an adventurer. And the fact that the Fantastic Four is disbanded for the time being it only makes sense to use Ben and Johnny in other books. The dynamic between Ben and Rocket should be even more hilarious than Ben and Johnny has been in recent years plus this is a fresh idea. We've seen over 50 years of Fantastic Four stories involving Ben already. This is an opportunity for something new. And just as the article says, this being comic books, we all know that Fantastic Four will be back together soon enough. So try to enjoy this shakeup for however long it lasts. Plus I expect Ben to be the emotional anchor for this team. I will say however, I would like to see some other former Guardians return to the team. Adam Warlock, Phyla-Vell, Cosmo, ect.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like that happens a lot on teams. The Original Avengers had two characters who could shrink. Superman can almost do everything that Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Martian Manhunter can do. Hulk and Thor are both super strong. Hulk Jumps really far while Thor uses his hammer to propel himself. So I don't think there's a problem with Thing and Drax and Groot all being on the same team. Its more about their differing characters and personalities to me than their power sets.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I definitely disagree with this position myself, I find Thing's presence in space and with the Guardians to make very little sense in the narrative of the Marvel Universe itself. Outside, it's very clear that Thing's been lumped in with the Guardians as they're popular at the moment and Marvel want to squeeze all they can out of them whilst forcing the 2 franchises they do not have the movie rights for into these groups. It makes no sense for Ben to abandon Earth and to join a group of alien beings he has had no contact with just because of some moments where he wanted to be an astronaut. It disregards the previous developments that Fantastic Four comics have built up and really spoils the ending where they were left off. Plus, Bendis writing one of my favourite Marvel characters never gels with me, I have no love for Bendis as a writer.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

marketing gimmick, yeah comics is full of them but this is just more of Disney murking things up ...

Hollywood has killed the comic book Marvel universe, specifically The Fantastic Four and the Xmen.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ben Grimm doesnt need to breathe so he doesnt need a spacesuit. Then again Bendis would never do research on a character before using them, so who am I kidding.

Didn't Gray hulk beat him by trying to suffocate him? I figured he can hold his breath for an extremely long time,but when you can't fly and you are just floating in space you are more likely to get screwed over. idk the rules for the thing keep changing

Scribbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@prototype_nzl: I'm right there with you...but I feel like Stegman's art is best suited for a book of teen heroes (like Young Justice, Runaways, Young Avengers, etc.), than on a more adult-oriented team. Either that or a Spider-Man type book that suits his fluid, "everyone looks like they're 17 years old and 105 pounds" art style.

I am all for artists growing and evolving, but I agree that his work is losing its luster for me. I noticed it on Inhumans and it seems to have continued.

joaoanjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In other words: nobody care about F4 as a team anymore, let's move on, Thing in GotG is a good idea.

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know... that actually makes sense. Bendis actually makes sense. Well I'll be.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mark_Stephen

Well if you are going to throw away the founding title might as well recycle parts of it to keep copy write. This whole eight month thing turns me off, especially since they haven't even finished the reboot series yet.

Maybe this'll work for him just like Johnny swiping Medusa away from Black Bolt will work for that character, but as far as I'm concerned the characters of the FF that I grew up with are gone. They'll do what ever they want but I'm not buying it at full price, I'll wait for the dollar bin.

And despite what the article says I don't think I'll ever see a Fantastic Four title again unless it's something thrown together in a weekend to keep the copy write, the people who run marvel now have about as much respect for the Fantastic Four as they did for Spider-Man's marriage. As long as they don't have the film rights there won't be an FF title.

kantrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I was on board with the idea from the get-go and after reading the first issue I love the dynamic the team has. Ben being hopeful and excited and bonding with his new crew and probably not feeling like the only odd ball out (being on a team with a Raccoon, and a Tree). Kitty's role on the team seems like she is even getting the chance to cut loose and not be the Teacher, or "responsible one" all the time.

Haters are gonna hate but I am digging the new GotG and can't wait to see what the surprise villain at the end of the issue is gonna bring forth.

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

In other words: nobody care about F4 as a team anymore, let's move on, Thing in GotG is a good idea.

='(

Muh feels, muh rustled jimmies...

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always liked the idea of Ben being able to transform into the Thing. Maybe not at will...perhaps the transformation keeps him locked in one or the other form for an inconvenient time period. That is all.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#26  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

He does the same with Drax and it annoys me no end

Crimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Crimz

Sue better not be ******* dead Marvel. That panel with Johnny angers me.

luciferjonez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truemarvel: This is obviously Marvel's F-U to sony/fox (or whomever has the rights to the FF currently). I'm in agreement though I have to say that the dialogue where Ben asks "who has the infinity armor?" was a concept I never thought of.

A lot of these reboots, the avengers titles, guardians, etc… are piss poor books. Bad team formations, crappy costume concepts, I'm not investing in much of this crap. I just plop my ass down in the local comic shop, read a book and put it back on the shelf.

BTW, what happened to the evolved beast, gamora & angel from that mirror story arc with thanos' son.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truemarvel said:

I think that the problem will be more with Groot and Venom than with Drax. I mean, Drax will be the weapon/tecnique/combat/tactics expert [and now that we don't have Gamora, he will be the only "true fighter"], while Groot, Venom and Ben will be the Powerhouse, raw strenght and power...

Anyway I think Ben will be very usefull as a Pilot for the Guardians ship. Without Gamora and Peter-Quill, only Rocket may be considered a good space-pilot, but a team may need some alternation between at leas two pilot :)

Spoiler at the end of the issue...Gamora IS back though...

Anyways, I am more upset about how ''Reed and Sue is gone'' comment...because I don't want that thing to be the Trurth dammit. Especially since we saw Doom freaking survive and show up with his restored face in Ironman for some reason.

If he survives Secret Wars like that and Reed and Sue and the family won't ? Guess what titles I won't be reading because that is fucked up.

lebefrei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truemarvel: Ben doesn't have to outperform them physically; as long as he is a powerful, durable, and experienced fighter, he is helpful. Super powers aren't often redundant, just like adding more soldiers to a war often isn't. Also, he is an experienced pilot, as the article states.

Avatar image for uncanny_xfactor
    Uncanny_XFactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I very much enjoy Ben as a member of the Fantastic Four, if the team is to no longer exist, I would put him first with the Guardians. Sure, power-wise, he's not a real asset with other more sensical members present, but didn't the X-Men have three psychics and two Wolverines plus Beast on it at one time? Not counting that (relatively minor) issue, I support Ben in space. Bravo Marvel, looking forward to where this goes.

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackdog2009: Yes, Disney specifically ordered The Thing on GotG, and obvious they have tried to erase the X-Men as evident by the lack of any new X-titles being launched.....

comic_book_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i bet sue and reed are just lost in the multiverse they will be back and reform the ff within 6 months.

comic_book_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for uncanny_xfactor
    Uncanny_XFactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uncanny_xfactor: he is stronger than either of the other members.

I know. I said more sensical members, i.e., more classical members like Drax or Groot, I didn't say stronger. I do like him here though.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truemarvel said:

actually that is who I meant. My firrst post was a typo

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I wanna see the thing with a Kronan girl friend.

t209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I don't know but the problem is that Guardians of the Galaxy is currently now more from Earth rather than other species; except Jack Flagg, Richard Rider, Major Victory, and Mantis.

Venom and The Thing doesn't count even if they got powers from cosmic.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sinikettu

The first issue wasn't too bad but the jury is still on about the overall series if it's going to be a hit or miss and Thing seemed to fit in just fine.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Varient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for the_kid_lantern
    The_Kid_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what makes me mad? The Thing being drawn short when he's not supposed to be much smaller than Hulk. He's literally wearing a rocket pack on two fingers, why's he so short on the cover?

~KL~

vesavius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's be honest. It makes sense in as much anything makes sense in the modern climate of throw shit at the wall in a desperate attempt to see what sticks. It doesn't bother me, it doesn't excite me. Mainly because I know it's all frothy marketing, gimmicks, and nothing 'matters' in Marvel/ DC anymore.

vesavius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what makes me mad? The Thing being drawn short when he's not supposed to be much smaller than Hulk. He's literally wearing a rocket pack on two fingers, why's he so short on the cover?

~KL~

wouldn't that depend on how big the rocket pack is?

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Well... I get people are excited for this book. I think it's a team you're either gonna love or hate. I mean, not really a venom fan so, that does nothing for me. Not really a thing fan so, again. Drax, this incarnation of Drax not particularly digging. Now Kitty I like and who doesn't like Rocket. But two members of a group, not really worth buying for me anyway.

modsbehating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By modsbehating

the comic god saw the movie and killed the entire team as punishment

Avatar image for the_kid_lantern
    The_Kid_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vesavius said:
    @the_kid_lantern said:

~KL~

wouldn't that depend on how big the rocket pack is?

For the sake of argument I'll go ahead and argue why that shouldn't even matter. Rocket's the smallest member of the team, if that's the case the Thing's fingers would be about the size of Rocket's arms. Rocket's about three feet tall or so, I think in the Marvel height chart anyway, where the Thing was said to be roughly six feet tall. Unless he has even bigger hands and feet than before, I don't see how this artist is on board with drawing Ben so short. If the rocketpack belonged to the next to smallest member, Kitty, the Thing would be even larger than if he was wearing Rocket's rocketpack.

To me the Hulk should be somewhere between nine and ten feet tall, with the Thing coming in around seven to eight feet tall or so. Making him so short so that characters like Iron Man can look down at him is ridiculous.

~KL~

Rag_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comic_book_fan said:

@uncanny_xfactor: he is stronger than either of the other members.

I know. I said more sensical members, i.e., more classical members like Drax or Groot, I didn't say stronger. I do like him here though.

Yeah I agree he makes sense in space, but what an odd team dynamic...Seems like too many brutes?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.