Follow

Thing

Character » Thing appears in 8022 issues.

Ben Grimm, better known as the Thing, is the original quintessential tough-guy of the Marvel Universe. But, because of his transformation, he's also the tragic member of the Fantastic Four. Ben was an ace test-pilot until exposure to intense cosmic radiation mutated him into a rock-skinned monster with immense superhuman strength. Ben's exterior is much harder than stone which gives him a rather gruff disposition; but deep down, he has a heart of gold.

Thing's Joining the Guardians is returning Him to his former greatness.

capshield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Have just finished reading a couple of the new Guardians books with The Thing as a member. I am loving it. He's my favorite character in all of fiction and Bendis is portraying him beautifully. He is writing him in the way He used to be written as a real power house character and having him kick some serious alien butt. He is a real asset to the team instead of a liability as He was often made in the Fantastic Four for a long time. I also love the banter between him and Rocket Racoon. The second story in the new Guardians of infinity is so much fun. Ben stomping various alien monsters and getting chewed out by Rocket in between fights. Comics like this are what have kept me reading for all these years. What a breath of fresh air this has been.

cdw101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I couldn't have said it any better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

capshield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@cdw101: Thanks for the comment. Its been long overdue for a writer to write the Thing as the powerful and skilled fighter that He was/is. His best portrayals were by Lee, Thomas, Conway, Byrne and Defalco. Bendis is starting to fall into that same category. Hickman had his moments, but He was inconsistent. One issue He would have Ben destroy 4 kree Sentries. Then a few issues later, He would have him get taken out by Maestro with one punch. So his joining the Guardians has been a Godsend to this old Thing fan.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#4 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I can't say the characterization isn't perfect but Bendis is certainly showcasing Thing's power and abilities. Thing in space is a thing of beauty (no pun intended). Would love a different writer though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.