Follow

Thing

Character » Thing appears in 8022 issues.

Ben Grimm, better known as the Thing, is the original quintessential tough-guy of the Marvel Universe. But, because of his transformation, he's also the tragic member of the Fantastic Four. Ben was an ace test-pilot until exposure to intense cosmic radiation mutated him into a rock-skinned monster with immense superhuman strength. Ben's exterior is much harder than stone which gives him a rather gruff disposition; but deep down, he has a heart of gold.

Fighting? *Fantastic Four 588 Spoilers*

sonic5328

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By sonic5328

Why was Thing fighting with Thor and Hulk in the final issue of Fantastic Four after getting the Johnny hologram thing? I didn't understand what was going on.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I don't think we are supposed to yet. I know we get a glimpse of what is in the message in FF #1.  

He either didn't like something Johnny said, or he is simply just pissed that Johnny is dead. After all, as far as Thing is concerned, it was supposed to be him that died, but Johnny pushed him through the portal instead. 

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By danhimself

Thing just needed something to hit and take out his anger on and pretty much the only people on the planet who could take that from him are Thor and Hulk...they really didn't fight back that much

sonic5328

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By sonic5328
    @danhimself: I thought of that. I'm just confused as to why they are there.
    MrFantastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By MrFantastic
    @sonic5328:  
    In cases of Traumatic Grief it is common for the grieving person to withdraw. It appeared in many of the previous panels in the book that Ben was in a pretty bad space, probably blaming himself for Johnny's death. It appears that Banner and Thor got together to attempt to get Ben to try to get these feelings out into the open so that he could start dealing with the grief. 
      It's sort of an intervention, an attempt for his friends to get him out of his shell, so that Ben could get in touch with his guilt in not being able to save his best friend.  These sort of interventions normally require an intense emotional breakthrough which can manifest quite physically when the patient breaks through the guilt.  Lucky for Ben he has friends like Thor and the Hulk who can take a punch or two.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.