The X-Files is Returning to Television for 6 New Episodes

Posted by inferiorego (25738 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

While IDW has been publishing X-Files comics for some time now, die hard X-Files fans haven't really had their fill of Mulder and Scully, until now. Reported by TVLine, Fox has ordered 6 new episodes of The X-Files and David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson will reprise their roles as Fox Mulder and Dana Scully.

The show was about two investigators working with the FBI to investigate some of the weird elements of the world, which included aliens, monsters, and even things more creepy. The six-episode continuation will shoot this summer and Chris Carter, the creator of X-Files, will oversee the new episodes.

“I think of it as a 13-year commercial break... The good news is the world has only gotten that much stranger, a perfect time to tell these six stories.”

The series may have ended in May 2002, but it also received two feature-length films with 1998's The X-Files: Fight the Futureand 2008's The X-Files: I Want to Believe.

“We had the privilege of working with Chris on all nine seasons of The X-Files — one of the most rewarding creative experiences of our careers — and we couldn’t be more excited to explore that incredible world with him again.” In a statement made by Fox chairman Gary Newman and Dana Walden, “The X-Files was not only a seminal show for both the studio and the network, it was a worldwide phenomenon that shaped pop culture — yet remained a true gem for the legions of fans who embraced it from the beginning. Few shows on television have drawn such dedicated fans, and we’re ecstatic to give them the next thrilling chapter of Mulder and Scully they’ve been waiting for.”

Hopefully, we'll be seeing the X-Files very soon as shooting starts this summer.

Staff
#1 Posted by BigL (622 posts) - - Show Bio

:)

#2 Edited by MuyJingo (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

YES, YESSS, YESSS!

YESSSSS!

YES!

The second movie sucked and the comic is far too whimsical and doesn't really feel like the show.

Hopefully this will be a proper sendoff to the fourth best show from the 90's.

#3 Posted by goonage (2085 posts) - - Show Bio

Really?

#4 Posted by ScrappyDont27 (531 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome news, really glad they are just doing 6 episodes, should be a great way to clean up the series

#5 Posted by Maddpanda531 (1635 posts) - - Show Bio

This is absolutely fantastic news

Avatar image for supremehyperion
#6 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1811 posts) - - Show Bio

This is some Great, Great News

#7 Posted by meatwadf (671 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome news, really glad they are just doing 6 episodes, should be a great way to clean up the series

Word is, Fox is interested in a second season already. Would be nice to see a few smaller seasons produced.

#8 Posted by Bl00dwerK (958 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope the Smoking Man's in this one...

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

YES

Avatar image for starscream_vs_you
#10 Posted by Starscream_Vs_You (242 posts) - - Show Bio

Awe... wait for it....

......... SOME!!!!!

#11 Posted by longbowhunter (9425 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait!

#12 Posted by tglass1976 (15 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be sure to watch it with no lights on. :)

#13 Edited by ScrappyDont27 (531 posts) - - Show Bio

@meatwadf: I would be cool with several small condensed series

#14 Posted by meatwadf (671 posts) - - Show Bio

@meatwadf: I would be cool with several small condensed series

That's my thought, yeah. I've actually been binge watching the show on Netflix lately, and as much as I love it, I wouldn't have a problem with a more... focused series. lol

Still, I hope they have at least 1 or 2 freaks of the week, as some of my favorite episodes are those. Looking at you fire fly monster thingies and fluke man. heh

#15 Posted by butters911 (615 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember the last episode was about how the world is going to end. i wonder if they will touch on that?

#16 Posted by MuyJingo (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

He died. So unless it's a flashback...

#17 Posted by Bl00dwerK (958 posts) - - Show Bio

@bl00dwerk said:

I'll be sure to watch it with no lights on. :)

Exactly! ;)

#18 Posted by Nuec_Sol (214 posts) - - Show Bio

wow... I don't even know what to think about this yet.

#19 Posted by Ren_ (2356 posts) - - Show Bio

Does this mean I need to get around to actually watching The X-Files now?

#20 Posted by donmeca2020 (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

the original was bad ass, however considering i was a youngster i might have to find the old seasons and check them out again. the theme song was a tad spooky too.

#21 Edited by kevinwalsh (135 posts) - - Show Bio

Kumail is the seed of this.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
#22 Posted by The Impersonator (8501 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be a lot better to stick with 13 episodes like NBC is doing with Heroes: Reborn. Six isn't bad but not enough to tell the whole truth.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.