• 53 results
    erik_norris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By erik_norris

There are spoilers discussed below. You've been warned.

And we’re officially two for two with the start of season three of AMC’s The Walking Dead. Granted, the second episode was a bit toned down from the fast-paced first episode, but the excellent character beats throughout help make this episode another standout amongst the series.

Surprisingly, we get no time with Andrea and Michonne this episode. Instead, the entirety of this episode focuses on Rick and our group of survivors meeting the prison inmates teased at the end of episode one. The show creators and cast really do a solid job displaying the tension between Rick and, since his name is never mentioned I’m just going to call him “Latino Heat.” From the get-go, it’s established that something is very, very wrong with Mr. Heat, and the situation plays out pretty much exactly how you would expect it to with a guy so clearly off his rocker.

You can totally trust these guys. Totally.
    You can totally trust these guys. Totally.

However, I am shocked that this plot point was dealt with so quickly. Again, The Walking Dead has been a rather slow-paced series (especially season 2), so to see them address the situation and move on so quickly is maybe another sign that the writers of the show have taken the criticisms of last season to heart, not dwelling on one thing for too long. It should also be interesting to see how the remaining prisoners factor into the rest of the season. Honestly, I feel bad for the poor guy with the sweet wax mustache. He seems legit, even if he’s an inmate for crimes unknown.

While Rick and the rest of his goon squad dealt with the inmates rather swiftly, we have still not seen this season’s big bad, The Governor, or his town of Woodbury. Sure, this episode teases the existence of Woodbury with the creeper watching Carol from afar in the woods while she practices a C-section on an undead corpse (really gross by the way). But that’s all we see. If there’s anything that’s going to be a slow burn this season, it’s probably going to be the reveal of The Governor and Woodbury, and their intentions. We’ll have to wait and see if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. Fans of the comic are probably dying to see the Woodbury stuff comes to life with real actors, but these first two episodes have smartly made the choice to establish a new status quo for our “heroes” before shoving them into another totally depressing situation (as if things aren’t already awful enough).

The other major talking point for this episode is the relationship between Rick and Lori. Clearly, this couple has some issues, which were briefly established in the first episode of the season where the two were barely on talking terms. All of that gets addressed here, even including a great meta line by Lori saying, “I know I’ve been a sh**y wife and I’m not going to win any parent of the year awards,” which is exactly what we have all been thinking since midway through season two.

"Lori, if Hershel turns into a zombie, do us all a favor and let him bite you."

With this season’s time jump, the Rick/Lori dynamic has become much more interesting and, honestly, I think it works better because we’re slowly going to get the pieces filled in for us. Also, I found myself actually feeling sympathetic for Lori during this episode’s final moments. Trust me, I did not expect that to happen… ever. But it honestly feels like she’s trying to atone for her (many) past sins. Now we just have to sit back and see if Rick accepts her distinct form of apology.

While “Sick” might not be as action-packed of an episode as last week’s “Seed,” it’s still another solid entry into this series. There were some great character beats all around (look at little Carl getting business done), and the devolution of Rick into a near spitting image of Shane is a truly fascinating turn for the character. To say Rick delivers swift justice is an understatement. It might be disappointing that we don’t get any more Michonne ass-kickery in this episode, but I’d gladly trade that for a stronger emphasis on the growth of our main cast, which is exactly what we got here.

Erik Norris is a freelance writer for sites such as ComicVine, IGN and CraveOnline.com. You can stalk him on Twitter @Regular_Erik.

fps_dean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1  Edited By fps_dean

Rick has pretty much turned into Shane now.

mightypug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By mightypug78

i cant wait for the Governer to show up.

Avatar image for rockwellfontana
    rockwellfontana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rockwellfontana

Dude...

Rick Grimes is getting grimey!!!

Kinda interesting to see him pull away from Lori.

Funny as all hell when Herschel was coming to that the music was all cheesy and everybody thought he'd turn. I know I sure did.

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
    Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

@fps_dean:

Well, pretty much everyone did say last season that it'll turn into a Rick-tatership.

Avatar image for thatcoolguysteven
    thatcoolguysteven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thatcoolguysteven

Loved it, I was hoping for some Governor in this episode....

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ms__omega

LOVED IT!!!

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#7  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

RICk is a gangsta now damn crazy episode. and ofcourse the Black Guy dies first. I liked him.

Feel bad for Oscar and Axle though.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By judasnixon

Who turned Hill Street Blues in to a zombie flick?

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By doordoor123

I was so shocked when Rick killed that guy. I'm glad that guy died though. He seemed like another Shane. I'm okay with Rick acting like Shane because knowing the comic, he'll get what is coming him. That Hershel thing dragged on quite a bit though. It is stuff like that that drags these episodes and makes them kind of boring. We're lucky there was more interesting stuff on the other side of the cut.

unstablejester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By unstablejester

When he left the guy out in the court yard and told him to run........ AWESOME!!!!

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AlKusanagi

Please, he is NOTHING like Shane. they were willing to give those guys a fair shake and then saw the prisoners' true colors coming out while clearing the prison, then when the guys ACTIVELY TRIED to take out Rick, he put down the conspirators.

Shane would have just killed them all and taken the whole food supply right off the bat.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    Yeah, I would. Have killed that prisoner too, he was a liability.
    Avatar image for hortondrawsawho
    HortonDrawsAWho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HortonDrawsAWho

@MadeinBangladesh: Was that actually Axel? I don't remember a name being said.

Wonderbrezzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wonderbrezzy

Why do the black Characters get  killed or hardly any screen time?! 

Avatar image for hortondrawsawho
    HortonDrawsAWho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HortonDrawsAWho

@MadeinBangladesh: nevermind I just IMDB'ed it and it was Axel, but I don't remember them naming him in the episode and I never trust any comic references in Walking Dead because the writers don't give a shit about comparisons with the comic otherwise we would have Tyrese in the show by now instead of T DAWWWWWWWWWWWWWGGGGGGGG

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Bestostero

Maggie's scene with Hershel alone was really moving, got teared up there for a moment!

#OneLeggedHershel

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By SavageDragon

Really solid episode. Latino heat was gonna die, either he would have driven Rick or Daryl to kill him or most likely he would have done bad stuff when he found out women were with the group. That guy was bad news. Season has been great so far.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#18  Edited By turoksonofstone

It was good.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FearTheLiving

Also liked how Carl told his mom off. Don't get me wrong you shouldn't do that in our world but it's the ******* zombie apocalypse for christs sake he's not having a normal childhood he's growing up fast and he's the son of the leader.

Was kind of shocked they killed off most of the prisoners so fast though. I guess they're just trying to move through the prison stuff and get right into the Governor stuff.

thedeenslist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thedeenslist

I think Rick learned the Shane lesson well. He's harder now sure, but not to that Shane level. By the end, Shane wanted to kill anyone that wasn't in their group regardless. Rick still gave the prisoners a choice to live together as best as possible or die. Sure, he fixed the problem when it became obvious that there was going to be one, but he still led with the chance of coexistence.

Slipknotfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Slipknotfan666

I imagine wax moustache guy is the blonde right? He alludes to the fact that he's a theif cus he says "I like my drugs but I'm no killer" so that's where my money is.

Also I actually don't think Lori is a terrible mother. Wife yes definately, but I think she's doing the best she can by Carl.

ChrisPartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By ChrisPartin

FYI, "Latino Heat" character name is Tomas. Only reason I know that is because I watched "Talking Dead" afterwards and the actor was on the show. I felt kind of bad for the guy because Wil Wheaton was on the show and Chris and Wil just talked about the show. There wasn't really a lot to talk to the other guy because it was, "So, how did you prepare for what happened to you?"

Otherwise, I enjoyed this episode more than the last one. I'm always hit or miss with this show. Looking forward to some goodness in the next one with Andrea and Michonne.

AHrubik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AHrubik

Part of me cringed at Lori giving Herschel mouth to mouth but the other part wanted him to go zombie and bite her.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Did anyone else do a massive facepalm when Lori gave Hershel CPR? Aside from that painfully stupid act, it was another good episode.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By Delphic

I'm glad that Carl's running off turned out to be useful for once.

nerfherderIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nerfherderIV

This episode was sick! I am sure I am not the first to use that joke. LOl. I think Rick is not turning into to shane, but I do believe there is a sign of crazy killer in him now. The prisoners he killed was the main ones causing trouble with the group. It had to be done. Shane wouldn't have reasoned with them, Rick did. Over all this Ep. was alot of fun to watch. I can't wait for next weeks though. MERLE IS BACK!!!!!!! :O

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By danhimself

@AlKusanagi said:

Please, he is NOTHING like Shane. they were willing to give those guys a fair shake and then saw the prisoners' true colors coming out while clearing the prison, then when the guys ACTIVELY TRIED to take out Rick, he put down the conspirators.

Shane would have just killed them all and taken the whole food supply right off the bat.

agreed....Rick is behaving nothing like Shane....Shane was a psychopath...Rick is just being smart...the guy swung a machete at his face and threw a zombie at him...yeah I would have killed him to

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By danhimself

so did anyone see the extra preview during the Talking Dead? Seems like someone from the first season has been hanging out with the Governor this whole time

Mediumguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mediumguy

Rick Grimes? No no no it's Grimey Rick baby.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31  Edited By Deranged Midget

@HortonDrawsAWho: Watch the language please.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By fodigg

@fps_dean said:

Rick has pretty much turned into Shane now.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By DonFelipe

Seriously?!? After last season's finale and this season's first episode as well as the comic special, it's really disappointing to have an episode without Michonne. She's supposed to be everybody's darling in terms of slashing zombies here. I know, the entire concept is not about killing zombies but survive in the first place but isn't Michonne the one with the smartest survival skills. Of course, it has to do with the original story from the comic book. Still... and this goes back to last week's discussion here... a slightly different direction wouldn't be such a bad idea. Good thing is, next episode will definitely feature Michonne, Andrea, and the Governor.

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kid Apollo

time for 5 min backup stories featuring Carl's solo missions, the kids awesome and hes growing up ina totaly inhospitable age. easily my favourite character on the show.

p.s. god bless the person who invented PVR

KMART4455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KMART4455

@AlKusanagi said:

and this is bad how?.. I miss Shane the dude was the man! gotta appreciate someone who isnt afraid to take care of business.. however I like the direction Rick is going in.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#36  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

God Damn It.......  
    God  
    F^£$ing 
     Damn  
    it.  
    I waited through the WHOLE episode and not ONCE did I get a: 

No Caption Provided
    MarvelMan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By MarvelMan1985

And here I thought the Latino inmate with the black hair was the Governer. Seems like the producers of the show made a wink to the comic, since he looks exacetly like him :)

mickoreo_LZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mickoreo_LZ

Mr. Heat's name was Tomas, as told by the actor who played him on the Talking Dead.

Really impressed with the pacing of the first two episodes. Somehow they've snuck in more zombie action, while still having plenty of meaningful character interactions and developments, a balance I think they've struggled to find. Boy is Rick is getting mean fast. Little does he know how he's preparing himself to lose more people and make tougher decisions and be a better leader. I love it. Oh and for everyone who says Rick is now just Shane, even though the show is a totally different entity, read the comics and gain some insight please. Or just grab some common sense and pay attention when you're watching the show

Vulshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Vulshock

I've seen that other sites have called the leader of the prisoners Thomas. I can't confirm if it's something they've just made up but i would like to see the Thomas from the comics, but maybe they don't have enough time to deal with him. Nonetheless season 3 is a huge improvement and I enjoyed them a lot!

antemiusenteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By antemiusenteri

@doordoor123:

I know right , i was getting really angry by his behavior then i thought , it'll come back to him , so calm down

fps_dean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By fps_dean

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope said:

@fps_dean:

Well, pretty much everyone did say last season that it'll turn into a Rick-tatership.

They did elude to that at the end of season 2, yes. But Rick doesn't really hesitate before killing anyone, unless someone talks him out of it. I guess Shane took issue with people objecting, which is still the difference.

Lie your icon... Sally forthhhhh....

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
    Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

Honestly, I feel bad for the poor guy with the sweet wax mustache. He seems legit, even if he’s an inmate for crimes unknown.

I wouldn't feel too bad for the dude with the mustache ... he comes off far too much like the;

Sexual predator from the comics who ends up raping and killing one the female members of Rick's group.

Just saying.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

My biggest issue of course is Rick, and frankly this development in his character is consistent with the comic book. He is just becoming 'too far gone', if I may use an expression from Kirkman's books, and is becoming the harsh and cold leader that Shane had already shown himself to be. Fact is, he is doing what he does because he feels he is responsible for the whole of Team Grimes, and therefore is compelled to act as he does for the benefit of not only Carl's and Lori's survival, but for the group's. Splitting Tomas' head open COULD be indicative of him doing what was right for the group, even if it also was as much getting back at him for what Tomas pulled in that cell block. Loosing Andrew to zombies outside reminiscent of throwing a Christian to the lions, perhaps that was just being a wee bit vicious. Nearly blowing off Oscar's and Axel's heads despite them saying they were innocent was Rick just simply going too far. That's the theme we are getting from season, and watch, it will force us as watchers of the show to think when the season finale comes "Gosh, who is the greater monster of the two...Rick or the Governor?" The real crazy moment for me though was Herschel in that moment that Lori checked on him. I thought he really had turned and had proceeded to bite her. Wow, haven't had a show episode surprise me like that for a while. Good stuff!

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ThomasElliot

Season 3 is great so far... but I'm still a little put off by the show's dynamic of the Grimes. Go back and read the comics and thats a family that QUICKLY overcame any issues and stuck together. For Rick, Carl and Lori, NO ONE was more important than each other.

If... certain events... remain intact from the books, then they need to mend the Grimes family or else that event won't hold much meaning. Take Breaking Bad for example... its at the point where if Skylar were to die, in any way, most fans would cheer. That shouldn't happen with... certain peoples... in Walking Dead.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By TDK_1997

The episode is pretty good and I really like what is happening with Rick.

lrtaylor02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lrtaylor02

@rockwellfontana: I thought the music was funny, too. I felt like I was watching Twin Peaks.

MarvelMan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#47  Edited By MarvelMan1985
    @Super_SoldierXII: I thought of him to be something like that... He stapped that zombie with way to much conviction :o
    Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I don't think rick is a carbon copy of shane. Shane was crazy, Rick is just very hard, hurt, but still calculated with a logical basis.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By KnightRise

Where can I watch season one online?

Red_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50  Edited By Red_Jack

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

God Damn It.......
    God
    F^£$ing
    Damn
    it.
    I waited through the WHOLE episode and not ONCE did I get a:
    No Caption Provided

Yeah man! I thought the big burly guy was going to be a negro version of Axel but alas, I will never see a human form. They couldn't really get anyone awesome enough to play Axel anyhow.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.