gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided

If you've cruised by the newstand or magazine section at bookstores and grocery stores, you've probably seen the magazines devoted to different TV shows. I've often wondered how those are and how the publisher of them can come up with enough content month after month. Then word came out that THE WALKING DEAD would be getting its own magazine. I had some of the same thoughts but there is more to it than just a TV show. It's also more than just a comic. THE WALKING DEAD has exploded into an actual phenomena.

Right from the beginning, we have an introduction from Robert Kirkman. That assures us that he will be involved and keeping track of what goes on in the magazine.

This is where you will find out everything coming up that involves THE WALKING DEAD. There are updates on Season 3, collectibles, news on the Activision game focused on Daryl Dixon, set visits, an exclusive short story prelude for the next WD novel and much more. There's also interviews with Kirkman, Danai Gurira (Michonne), Chris Hardwick (The Talking Dead), Charlie Adlard and showrunner, Glen Mazzara. There are plenty of features from getting you caught up on the comic, "choice cuts" featuring a different character's greatest kills, reviews and more.

There's no questioning that the 100 pages are full to the brim with WALKING DEAD content and information.

What are the downsides?

No Caption Provided

It has a newstand price of $9.99. You can subscribe and save $10 plus get the issues before they hit the newstand. You also get a WALKING DEAD t-shirt (seen here). I can't remember the last time I bought a magazine so I'm not sure how that price compares for the number of pages you get.

The main problem with magazines is getting the information out in a timely manner. At the time this hits the newstands, we've already seen the first two episodes of Season 3. The magazine skirts around it a little and some of the information can quickly become dated.

There is also a feature on some of the activities from San Diego Comic-Con. This is cool stuff for those that weren't there and because this is the first magazine, it wasn't covered before. But SDCC was three months ago.

There are some benefits to this magazine. If they can continue with exclusive content, that makes it worth it for WALKING DEAD fans. The exclusive short story was a cool part and reminded me I need to pick up the second novel, The Road to Woodbury (the first novel was pretty cool).

It's a really good first issue. There's plenty to see. Again the big question is, will each issue contain plenty of content to make it worth getting. With everything going on in the world of WALKING DEAD from the comics, TV show, video games, collectibles, etc it would seem the answer is definitely yes. I'm liking what I see here. It might be the next issue or two that really sells me on whether or not I will fully commit to the magazine.

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By zackattack529

this is gotta be a joke...a magazine now?

Honestly everyone will obviously buy the first issue and save it.

but after that this won't uphold sales.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @zackattack529: It worked fine for Smallville and Dr Who
    longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By longbowhunter

I haven't bought a magazine in years. Used to buy Rue Morgue religiously and Wizard on an odd occasion. Magazines have gone the way of the buffalo, or the music video.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By feargalr

You gave the walking dead magazine 5 stars!1?! Thats way too many, I thought it was terrible your not allowed to have an opinion! Etc!!

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Mucklefluga

The only magazines i read are film magazines. I'm subscribed to Total Film. This doesnt really interest me to be honest.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gmanfromheck

@feargalr: I'm confused. I didn't even use a star rating system. I never mentioned five stars.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AlKusanagi

Some of these types of magazines can be pretty decent. Star Wars Insider has remained fairly good over the years, as long as you're an EU nerd like myself.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By danhimself

I have the same problem buying magazines as you do the content is always outdated....why buy a magazine when the stuff inside is the same stuff that you read about on the internet months before

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gmanfromheck

@AlKusanagi: I was a long time subscriber to Insider. But after all the movies were out, I found it hard to keep my subscription going. At least with this, there's a ton of different media to pull from. You can say the same for Star Wars but it's not quite the same. Although I haven't checked an issue out in a couple years.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Twentyfive

Jeez. The Walking Dead is that big, huh? I'm not complaining, though, because I love it.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By feargalr

@G-Man: I was making a joke about people always giving out about ratings being too high/low. In my mind it was pretty hilarious.... See this is why the internet needs a font for sarcasm!

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12  Edited By FoxxFireArt

@G-Man:

I think was just pulling your leg with a joke.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

@zackattack529: Alot of tv shows do magazines for some reason. I remember Charmed, Heroes, and Smallville had their magazines for a while

NorajDawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NorajDawn

@G-Man: From how I took it he was just making fun of the first poster.

Mandrewgora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mandrewgora

That tee-shirt looks cool, but nah I'll pass.

B_Heart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By B_Heart

@FoxxFireArt said:

@G-Man:

It was a terrible leg pulling joke. I didn't understand his comment either.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By FoxxFireArt

@B_Heart:

It's pretty obvious when he says:

I thought it was terrible your not allowed to have an opinion! Etc!!

Then uses a goofy clip from SOUTH PARK. The only thing he didn't add was "jk".

nerfherderIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By nerfherderIV

Who cares how long it lasts? Just take my money!!!!!!

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Walking Dead using the Apple model... milk the fan-base for all its worth!

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Nice idea but I'm not sure if I'll fork over ten bucks for this when it can't be entirely current. Nice idea and I may thumb through it on a newsstand sometime, but otherwise this just isn't for me.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By RedQueen

I used to buy the Heroes magazine, well, before it died. The only magazines I get now are Total Film and Empire.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By feargalr

@B_Heart said:

@FoxxFireArt said:

@G-Man:

It was a terrible leg pulling joke. I didn't understand his comment either.

It was excellent! Basically the joke was referencing the fact that G-Man and Sara have mentioned several times on the podcasts that when they post the review of a high profile book that people give out that its either too high or too low and that essentially theres no pleasing everyone. I was referencing that and poking fun here, as this review doesn't have a star rating and the book isn't particularly high profile so it makes no sense. Hence hilarity ensues

See if there was a specific font people used when they were being sarcastic then none of this would have happened

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.