x35's The Uncanny X-Men #258 - Broken Chains review

Avatar image for x35
  • x35 wrote this review on .
  • x35 has written a total of 163 reviews. The last one was for TPB

X-Cutioner's Song

AF Reviews: Acts of Vengeance
AF Reviews: Acts of Vengeance

Things come to a head when Jubilee, Psylocke and Wolverine all wind up captives of the Mandarin and the Hand in Chris Claremont and Jim Lee's final part of the highly regarded, but absolutely horrific, Lady Mandarin trilogy.

This plods the beautifully drawn but abysmally written story along to it's conclusion. I like Psylocke, I do, and I was really hoping to at least like something about this story but other than the art, it's just not good. Despite him being hailed as the genius who made the X-Men so brilliant, the man lost any grasp he had on the X-Men nearly 100 issues ago. This isn't an X-Men story. Absolutely nothing in this has anything to do with the X-Men. There's not a single concept or theme relevant to the X-Men explored or touched about or even acknowledged here. Jubilee, Psylocke and Wolverine are there. That's the only thing making this an X-Men story.

The story resolves with some utter Claremontian rubbish with Psylocke being so great and amazing that she overcomes both her programming (with help from the equally great and amazing Wolverine) and is also so great and amazing that she bests the Mandarin and defies his rings. As someone who likes Psylocke, any joy I get from seeing Psylocke being great and amazing is almost instantly rendered void here because, as always, it's just stupid Mary Sue-ism that Claremont puts all the women he likes through.

This is just a bad, bad, bad X-Men story in that it has nothing to do with the X-Men. The relevance is this is where Psylocke got her new body. The fact these are mutants or even X-Men is almost entirely irrelevant to this disaster of a nicely drawn shambles of a story. And as I said before, it has nothing at all to do with the crossover it's supposedly tying in to. If only that was the worst thing about it...