It was written in Destiny's Diaries "The Twelve Will Gather in the Darkest Hour"
The flame of the rising sun.
- Sunfire (fire powers and the "rising sun" of Japan)
A cold soldier returned to his family.
- Iceman (ice powers, had also recently quit the X-Men to be with his father)
A goddess recently returned from the stars.
- Storm (weather goddess)
A father of many futures connected to a greater evil.
- Cyclops (having children such as Cable and also from the Askani timeline)
A childless mother who rose from the deep.
- Jean Grey (having no children, rose as the Phoenix)
A son of a world that may never be, spawned by a sinister plan.
- Cable (Cyclops' son from the future)
A man whose mind is his greatest ally and greatest enemy.
- Professor X (this all happened right after the Onslaught crossover)
The ruler of a world gone mad, now free of demons.
- Mikhail Rasputin (was ruler of The Hill, and alternate dimension where only the strong were allowed to survive)
A man out of time with no real future.
- Bishop (trapped in the past, unknown whether his future will exist)
A North Pole ravaged by a failing spirit, lonely half of a greater whole.
- Polaris (had been posing as Magneto)
A South Pole, weaker than believed and the heart of an empire.
- Magneto (powerless ruler of mutant nation Genosha)
A ravaged planet, worshipped by the sands of time.
- Living Monolith (keeper of the sands of time)
A thirteenth will fall from the sky… The Chosen will know the scars of Apocalypse.
- Nate Grey (sent to Earth-616 from Age of Apocalypse, he knows Apocalypse from his reality)