inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

The Sinister Six try to figure out who the sixth member of their group is and they come in contact with Punisher. Boomerang then has to go before the parole board to meet his new parole officer.

These characters are B-list jokes. They may have all, at one time, had their moment in the sun, but the world no longer views them as anything more than the annoying fly buzzing around your head. This book really isn't about finding a way to tie into SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN. It's about a group of villains trying to reestablish themselves as such. They live in a dangerous world, and we finally get to see what day-to-day life is like for these characters, but moreso Boomerang. This is a fantastic take on villains. This humanizes them, much like how SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #15 did the same thing with Hobgoblin, but this is on a much larger scale.

I never thought I'd say/write/think this, but I really feel for Boomerang. Writer Nick Spencer has given him a unique voice and struggle, and I empathize with him. Nick gives this character, as well as the others, an interesting story. Sure, they're nothing more than two-bit thugs right now, but I love watching these guys slowly move up the ladder of villainy. The story has an incredibly great flow to. You'll move through this issue smoothly and end up reading it again.

The final scene, however, really made this an amazing issue for me. Boomerang has to go to a parole hearing, after breaking parole, and he addresses the parole board. It's only four panels, but I found myself giggling during each one. It's a bit silly, but so are some of the people around him, especially his lawyer, Partridge, who has quickly become my favorite secondary character of this book. He calls his wife "Babe," then explains she could sue him. He calls himself "Daddy P." Every line of dialogue is ridiculous and reminds me of the over-charismatic lawyer who advertises on late night tv. My favorite moment between Boomerang and Partridge is when Boomerang imagines cutting off Patridge's head. At the end of it all, there's a pretty fantastic reveal page that got me super-excited for the next issue. I'm not going to spoil it though.

I LOVED the opening page to this issue. It's a splash page of The Punisher, firing away, and Boomerang explains the difference in dealing with costumed heroes and dealing with The Punisher. Boomerang's voice screams through. I read that first page a few times, just to see how he talks and the little things Spencer adds into his speech patterns. I'm a nerd for good inner-monologue.

Finally, before I yell at you to buy this, you need to know how rad Steve Lieber's art is. It's the perfect fit for the tone Spencer is putting out there in his writing. Lieber's art is flexible. It fits the comedic moments of this book like a glove, but it also fits the more serious moments just as well. Lots of credit needs to go to colorist Rachelle Rosenberg as well. Her usage of color and shading also add greatly to this book.

The Bad

This book is too awesome. That may be a bad thing.

The Verdict - Pick of the week!

I haven't given something a "pick of the week" stamp in a while. Many of you probably know that I'm more of a Vertigo, Valiant, and Image reader, but this is easily one of the most fun books I've read in months. I love this book. It has the same tone and feel as HAWKEYE. We may only be two issues in, but this is by far my favorite non-Ultimate book at Marvel. Yes, I like it more than HAWKEYE. Everything about this issue puts a smile on my face. If I could compare it to anything, I'd say it's a more down-to-Earth version of Slott's run on She-Hulk. This is something you're going to want to throw on your pull list.

nightwingnerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Awesome

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Man I have to go read this, also who the fuck gave this issue 1 star?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I'll get this in trade.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
    TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

Love this series

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I loved the meeting scene, and the Dormammu stuff too funny

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

My favorite line:

"Speedester and Shocker Steal Puppy" "WHo does that"

mdamasco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue! I'm enjoying this about as much as Hawkeye

My favorite line:

Shocker reaction to seeing Punisher "aw, nertz"

iSummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

boomer was awesome in thurnderbolts and now again :D

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 owie  Moderator

This comic is AMAZING. It is actually so much better than the actual Superior Spidey (which is itself reasonably good). Boomerang is hilarious. Speed Demon is hilarious. Beetle is hilarious playing her plants vs zombies. So good.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

the continuity errors in this book are horrible....Boomerang was in the Raft just two issues ago in Superior Spider-man and yet here he is out on parole in this book and the Chameleon has been locked in one of SpOck's hidden hideouts for a few issues now in Avenging Spider-man and yet here he is threatening Boomerang....for that alone I would have deducted 2 stars

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to see the series is doing well but not a fan of Shocker's personality. This is the same guy who threatened New York for 1 million dollars. Guess for me I see him more with the Captain Cold personality. Otherwise good to see it doing good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453
    deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: In a book that's 2 issues old there's really no such thing as a continuity error, it hasn't crossed over with any other books and as far as I know it hasn't referenced any recent events from other books like the stuff in Avengers with the origin sites, or Spidey taking down Shadow Land for example, so for all we know these events could be set months or even years after Boomerangs most recent SSM appearance.

Having said that they just shut down the Raft so all those super powered prisoners had to be moved to other, possibly more crowded super prisons, in a situation like that do you make a low level super criminal who if I'm not mistaken is currently locked up for robbery and not something like serial murder, are you gonna stick him in a cage with the Lizard or cut the guy a break and give him an early parole? (Keeping in mind that this is the marvel universe where most super prisons have a revolving door anyway)

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By danhimself

@mangakid1995: they referenced the first issue of Superior Spider-man in this issue...you're right that it could be taking place in between that and the Raft stuff but there's been no reference point for time other than them talking about missing the robot that SpOck kept...though if it does take place in between them then that means that Boomerang has to get beat up again by SpOck and sent to the Raft

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mezmero

I really like the concept of this book. What I'm a little concerned with is the staying power. I find the idea of the Rozencrantz and Guildensterns of villains really fascinating but everything that happens in this title is kind of doomed to fade into obscurity. Looking forward to picking up this book, I'm just a little skeptical on a satisfying conclusion at the moment.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the way these two issues have portrayed chameleon, who's my favorite comic book villain.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is cool and sucks at the same time! I just started writing a Boomerang fan fic, that's two issues in. I was gonna write an encounter between Taskmaster, Boomerang and the Punisher. Welp, scratch that. Lol

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#17 inferiorego  Staff

@mangakid1995: they referenced the first issue of Superior Spider-man in this issue...you're right that it could be taking place in between that and the Raft stuff but there's been no reference point for time other than them talking about missing the robot that SpOck kept...though if it does take place in between them then that means that Boomerang has to get beat up again by SpOck and sent to the Raft

Chameleon escaped. Boomerang got out on parole. You're being way too picky, Dan. It's not like the books are contradicting each other. Time has past between them. Connect the dots yourself. Don't be a horrible SM fanboy.

I can only get away talking to you like this because I named a comic book character after you.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself said:

Chameleon escaped. Boomerang got out on parole. You're being way too picky, Dan. It's not like the books are contradicting each other. Time has past between them. Connect the dots yourself. Don't be a horrible SM fanboy.

I can only get away talking to you like this because I named a comic book character after you.

THAT YOU NEVER FINISHED!!!!!!!!!

fury714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

My favorite line:

"Speedester and Shocker Steal Puppy" "WHo does that"

Such a win.

wolverine1610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wolverine1610

Man this series is hilarious. its not like deadpool with random humor that gets connected later ( i like deadpool but this book is funnier in a different way) but its funny in a way that they're trying so hard to be evil but they're so bad at it but they're determined to get into the big leagues. i hate how shocker is presented though but i guess he's gonna turn that around down the line with what he saw in this issue

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to like this but when I've looked at it the art just looked awful

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.