englentine's The Spectre #1 - Crimes of Violence review

Avatar image for englentine
    • englentine wrote this review on .
    • englentine has written a total of 998 reviews. The last one was for Unstable

From The Longbox : The Spectre #1

In this issue, Jim Corrigan investigates his own death, after the police find his body in a steel drum covered in cement.

There is much that can be said about this nearly perfect book, for one you have to look at the fact that writer : John Ostrander knew that the secret to making a good Spectre book, was that at his core he had a former policeman Jim Corrigan.  He meets a police woman, who does not agree to some of the lengths he is willing to go to in the name of justice, but this just adds to the humanization of the character. Making us that much more invested.
      Saying all that about the writing, one would have to mention Tom Mandrake, who is easily the best artist for this job. His use of shadow, and art style gives the city inhabited by the characters a somewhat timeless look to it. Like an old Gothic horror film, helped out more than just a smidge by Digital Chameleons work on the colors.  Like an episodic crime novel the story is done by the end of the book. Easily read, easily enjoyed. This is the perfect combination of story and art.

2 Comments

Wiki Points

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Edited By B'Town

You have nice style in reviewing. Give a way a little but not enough to spoil a thing.

P.S. I love this cover, could it be all those bones? ahahha.

Avatar image for englentine