liberty's The Spectre #1 - Crimes of Violence review

Avatar image for liberty

Surprisingly Good

Spectre leaves to Avenge
    Spectre leaves to Avenge
    I know very little about the Spectre but after reading about him in another book I thought I'd give him a try.  The Spectre is an occult character and administers horrific punishments.  It is for this reason that I was hesitant on the character and this issue.   Once I read the story I was pleasantly surprised.

As I read the book I was not bogged down with tons of exposition explaining everything that has happened with the character since day one and there wasn't an over-explanation about his powers or origin.  Sure many things were addressed but at the right ace so as not to get bored.  There was also the right amount of action and suspense to the story.

One particularly cool thing about the story is that Spectre's identity is discovered by another person in the very first issue.  I really thought that was a neat touch.  This leads us to a serial killer who is going to be a force for Spectre to face later.  The art in this book was really neat as well.  When dealing with a fantasy, dream world like the Spectre the art is really unique.

I gave this book three-and-a-half stars out of five and that may be a little low.  I really thought about giving it a solid four but settles on the slightly lower rank.

0 Comments