bloodyzombies1's The Sandman #1 - Sleep of the Just review

Avatar image for bloodyzombies1

Sandman is back! Er.. kind of!

The Good

Neil Gaiman's writing in this issue is notably great, it's mature, well-paced, interesting, and different than the usual comic book fare. The stoy presented here is very mature, dark, and sad, although it works very, very well. The chracters are intesting and I acually felt pity fo the villians of this issue. The art by Sam Kieth is also notably great. like Gaiman's writing it's different than the comic norm but fits the book greatly.

The Bad

While I enjoyed Sam Kieth's art, there where some problems I had with it. There were some people that at times seems disproportioned, and sometimes some other parts of the art that looked strange to me (and not strange in a good way). In addition to this, there was an entire panel later on in the issue that seemed superfluos to me.

The Verdict

In conclusion, Sandman 1 is a must read. It's story and art are great, and unusual in a way that is, for the most part, beneficial in making this a outstanding comic.