k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

I'm impressed by the pacing of the issue and the developments writer Nathan Edmondson included, but before I praise his work, I have to say just how awesome Mitch Gerads' pages are. Watching Punisher shoot gang members or witnessing high-tech commandos go on a mission isn't anything new. It's fun, but it's something we've seen plenty of times before. Despite this having the potential to feel all too familiar, these visuals do a brilliant job giving us a cinematic and creative look at the chaos. Everything from the clever use of perspective and layouts to the standout coloring really makes this a chapter that'll stick around in your mind and, while reading it, it'll feel fluid instead or seeming like you're getting static glimpses here and there of this tense operation. I'll avoid going on and on about it, but it's important to note that Gerads' handling of these scenes make them so immersive instead of feeling like yet another shootout and he continues to make the Howling Commandos' tech extremely cool. There's a few small touches I really appreciated as well, like a shadow taking the shape of Frank's symbol. Simply put, the execution of these panels is tactical and that would make Frank Castle proud.

Now, let's talk about the plot. I admit I thought the Howling Commandos were pretty random earlier on in this series, but the last several issues have really justified their role. I'm starting to become as interested in them as I am in Frank and this issue leaves me wondering how the interactions will go down now that Frank is stuck with them. Given the hints of moral issues, the conversations in the next issue should be good. So yeah, I went from thinking the team was out of place to now being one of the book's highlights and having a lot of potential. Not a shabby handling of the bigger picture.

There's a weapon that's used and it's one of those moments that'll leave you a little mixed on it but still leaning towards "well, that was pretty epic." On one hand, it's a seriously cool sequence and, again, the reveal is handled in a creative way. If you've played Perfect Dark, it's sure to bring back some memories. However, it also left me wondering why this weapon wasn't used earlier on. After thinking about it, the answer's pretty simple: Because it would be a boring and quick resolution to the conflict. Really, who wants that? There's another part of the plot that has my mind racing as it plays out. One of the United States' biggest cities is being torn to pieces by gangs, yet there's no sight of other heroes or S.H.I.E.L.D. Given how many heroes and organizations populate 616 Earth, you'd think someone would be over there, right? That's exactly what I was thinking, but as I continue to wonder about it, I also realized there's a ridiculous amount of threats always going on in this world. Maybe S.H.I.E.L.D. is occupied elsewhere? Is this taking place during AXIS and that's why no one else is around? There's a lot of reasons why we're not seeing any cameos, but the most practical one is because this is simply too early on in the assault (not to mention this is Frank's story). What's the point of having the national guard and military if S.H.I.E.L.D., a team or another organization can always rush in and save the day from these kinds of threats? Gangs aren't often on these characters' and organizations radars, either, so this is a threat that's more fitting for Punisher and the government. This is a mess for Frank Castle to clean up and, while it's a little tough to believe no one else has attempted to help (maybe they have off-panel?), it's understandable and serves the theme well.

Saying something has you "on the edge of your seat" feels like an overused idiom, but it really does apply to this chapter. There's plenty of thrilling action and you should expect nothing less after buildup we received early on. Watching Frank in action is such a good time and, as said above, the visuals make sure it's jaw-dropping and you're right in there with him. This isn't just Frank vs. goons for the millionth time; it plays out in a fun and refreshing way. To top it off, the narrative doesn't take a cliche direction, either. I was legitimately surprised by how things ended and I'm very worried about what's going on over at the prison. I'm really hoping this person is able to get out of the situation or at least give them hell before going down. It would be a shame if neither of those things occur. I'm very anxious to see how these situations are resolved.

The Bad

The art changes for the prison scene and it's a noticeably different style, so that means it's not a very smooth transition. I don't find it as immersive as the other scenes, but the rougher style does fit what's going on over there. It makes it feel a little more raw and vicious, so that makes up for the slightly jarring transition.

The Verdict

THE PUNISHER #14 is fast-paced, tense, and presented in a very imaginative way. Even when characters take a break from shooting so they can use their words, you can feel everyone is on edge and something can go wrong at a moment's notice. While there is plenty of enjoyable madness (Frank sure does love blowing up enemies) and the visuals make it a great ride, the chapter also manages to give you a little more insight into the anti-hero and drops some pretty big developments. I can wait to read the next chapter, but considering how good this one is, I'd really prefer not to. This creative team simply understands the Punisher and it really shows.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
    SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I still hate that stupid mask >.<

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

The mask reminds me of Taskmaster.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 k4tzm4n  Moderator

The mask reminds me of Taskmaster.

Crossbones for me, but I like it.

I still hate that stupid mask >.<

Well, it's technically not on the whole issue ;)

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I like the mask actually.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

SlickyMike88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In all honesty i prefer him with the mask

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

DD208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

The mask may come into play in future issues when a copycat vigilante or Punisher villain uses the look to off a few people.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#9  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

cant wait to read this!

<SWAG>

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

SuperiorBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art changeover was awful. The second he starts the fire I couldn't tell what the hell was happening in the fight. A lot of build up in the last issue for nothing.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone let me know which Perfect Dark weapon the review was referring to?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Can someone let me know which Perfect Dark weapon the review was referring to?

FarSight, because it can see and shoot through every single wall in its path.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Another great issue. This book has had a very cinematic feel to it since the beginning. Really looking forward to how this story wraps up.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n:

Cool, thanks I can see how that would wrap up a gunfight quicker!

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I have a different view of this because I read all 14 issues in two days, but I am really bored with this series. We're 14 issues in and the Punisher has been either ambushed, captured, or both at least eight times. I can no longer get excited about him being randomly captured only to have him escape the next issue. Add to this the complete waste of time that was the Domino appearance and this book seems completely out of ideas. Everything feels like a rehash of something that has been done before. Punisher inspires another female cop to become a vigilante. I really want to like this book as ol' Frankie is one of my favorite characters but its just the same thing over and over again in a 3-4 issue pattern.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone tell me if this issue is a good jumping on point? I stopped reading at issue 8 or so, when Frank and Widow took on Crossbones. @k4tzm4n

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Can someone tell me if this issue is a good jumping on point? I stopped reading at issue 8 or so, when Frank and Widow took on Crossbones. @k4tzm4n

There's an adequate intro page, so it can technically serve as one.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.