The Punisher #10

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gmanfromheck

Punisher, Spider-Man and Daredevil are three completely different types of heroes. Yet they make a fascinating team even though they don't really like each other.

The Good

I am not a fan of these types of crossovers. I do not like when part one is in one series, part two in another, etc. Despite that, I am completely digging this story. We have so many crossovers and events going on but this mini one is able to hold its own with no problem.

What makes this crossover great is each character is different and gets to stay true to who they are. Spider-Man acts like Spider-Man; Punisher acts like Punisher...except does his best to restrain from killing. One of my favorite parts is seeing Spider-Man's witty/annoying banter and how the others do their absolute best to try to ignore it. Greg Rucka has been killing in on this title (no pun intended) but to see him so beautifully write the three distinct characters and mesh it all together is brilliant. We've seen crossovers and guest appearances often give a pale imitation of the the character we see in their own title. Reading this issue makes me want to see more of this kind of thing. If we can get crossover stories of this caliber, I'm 100% for them.

I can't get enough of Marco Checchetto's art. I may not have reviewed any of the last few issues of Punisher (as other staff members had the opportunity) but I've been a fan of this series from the beginning. Rucka and Checchetto have been doing remarkable things with the character and make it look so easy.

The Bad

If there was anything that bothered me, it is the fact that this takes place in three different series. Also, part one was in AVENGING SPIDER-MAN. That means we got a free digital download with the issue. I would've loved to get one for this part as well. Sure the comic is a dollar cheaper but if I want this digitally to go with part one, I'll have to pay full price (again).

As much as I love the trio of Punisher, Spider-Man and Daredevil, it's strange to think that Spidey and DD wouldn't try to bring more help. They are both members of the Avengers and Spider-Man is also part of the Fantastic Four/Future Foundation. With all that's at stake, you would think they'd bring in as much help as possible.

The Verdict

Part one was great and, no surprise, this one is as well. Punisher, Spider-Man and Daredevil have different tactics and views but with all their past run ins, they can easily put them aside when necessary. Rucka and Checchetto have made this a great series and this crossover has been a welcomed and complete surprise. It is unfortunate that each part of the story takes place in a different comic. It's even more unfortunate that this will only last three issues. PUNISHER is a great series and this crossover is continuing to be a blast to read.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By longbowhunter

The only issue I take with the arc crossing different titles is it makes it hard to know where to place it while organizing my collection. I do like the fact that even though this runs across three different series we get the same artist every issue. And it's Marco Checchetto. Awesome!

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By feebadger

Wait a minute? Didn't i read that Marvel were planning on killing off Punisher again? Is that not happening now, or what?

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

Story is fantastic, Art is amazing, and I'm glad to see Spidey being like his old street hero self in this whole thing. Rucka and Waid, THANK YOU FOR THIS STORY!

Overload17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Overload17

@feebadger: Why would they do that again? The new punisher series is quite a succes so it wouldn't be very smart to kill him again..

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By feebadger

@Overload17: I just looked it up and it was Punisher from the Max line that died. I never realised that the Max characters were not part of regular continuity. Feel kind of ripped off. My bad. Never mind.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By JonesDeini

@longbowhunter: My only problem with this issue was that Spidey was a bit off, definitely not a character Rucka has a firm handle on. And the father/daughter metaphor was a bit too on the nose, though wonderfully drawn.

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By CombatSpoon86

This is how crossovers should be done. Keep the same creative team. Rereading this in my DD and Punisher series. Definitely a challenge

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Mucklefluga

I'm loving the arc, this issue is great. But what's up with the bandages on his face?

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By longbowhunter

@JonesDeini: Did you think Spidey came off a bit to childish or what?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

IMO Waid should get the hell of DD and be replaced by Rucka, also there should be a Marvel Knights team book with this line up and including Moon Knight 

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By zackattack529

@JonesDeini: its because he is more in character with the avenging spiderman series. because since this book crosses with that book its only reasonable they use that writters interpretation of spiderman.

MJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MJC

The first two issues of the Omega Effect are satisfyingly good, but the problem with any Marvel Crossover including the Punisher is this: Punisher, in the eyes of other Heroes, is a villain. How many times have we seen issues where a superhero "copycat" takes the act too far ("I was only trying to help!" they inevitably say) ? For some reason though, the Punisher has a pass as long as he doesn't kill in front of heroes, even though, by my estimation, he is by far the largest mass murderer in the Marvel Universe (at least that resides on Earth). Also, since when is the Punisher willing to just compromise when its with other Heroes? Isn't his whole m.o. no compromise? The only time I've ever seen this relationship treated honestly was during Civil War, when the Punisher kills to villains as soon as he sees them, and promptly hets a whoppin' from Cap. So come on Marvel. Get it straight. That kind of character variability is the difference between Brubaker's DD and the excruciatingly dumb "Shadowland" series.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By JonesDeini

@zackattack529: Really? I've never read Avenging but I know Wells was writing it up to that point (if memory serves). During his run on Shed he had a perfect tone for Spidey. Rucka had moments, but Spidey is just not a character he has the proper handle on. It really stands out when lined up next to Waid's interpretation.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.