Follow

The New 52

Concept » The New 52 appears in 296 issues.

DC Comics' controversial 2011 reboot of its entire line of ongoing comic books following the universe altering event, Flashpoint. After Doomsday Clock, it was redefined as Earth-52.

What's Wrong With The Huntress And Power Girl In The 'New 52'?

• 131 results
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By fodigg

Power Girl has been written well despite the boob window, but I'm just as sick of jokes about the boob window as I am about the disposable costume.

Besides, nobody is railing against the new, less-skin-showing Huntress outfit. Compare:

The problem isn't "they got rid of the boob window." The problem is they changed her whole costume to something that sucked, and then are trying to walk that back with battle damage because the character doesn't work with it.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By owie  Moderator

Too bad. I dropped it after the first issue, but was hoping it might eventually get better and I could jump on again.

I think the problem with her new costume is that it's just too generic.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Cavemold

The boob window , the whole huntress Identity crisis, everything in short is wrong with the book. It doesn't exist to me :)

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not enough boobs.

Metron144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Metron144

I really really really really hate the new powergirl look. I also (sorry guys) hate perez's art for the book. It feels super dated and just uninteresting.

JayMar89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By JayMar89

They should let robinson write this also hate too say it though the 0 issue was great

MisterKetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By MisterKetch

Some women have bigger breasts then others, yes it is definitely PG's most notable feature but hat's just how some women develop. I'm not naive to think she wasn't created as eye candy by some male writer but obviously her character can be more then that.

The first four issues were ridiculous, fighting the same guy alluding to connections to there past and how to get back home, only to have on the last page of issue 4 the ladies offhandedly mention "to bad we didn't learn anything" it was filler pure and simple and I raged because of it. Every issue I read doesn't have to have huge plot reveals and drastically move the story forward, especially if it was an interesting issue on its own but this just spit in the face of that.

I'm going to continue reading the reviews/articles about this on the chance that one day it will improve. The worst case scenario imo would be this getting cancelled and the last issue has them magically sent back to Earth 2 where I'm sure DC would force them to be shoe horned into that book.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By doordoor123

There needs to be a new writer and the boob-window needs to come back.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By wowlock

The most interesting issue was #0 and it is because we saw the ''connection'' between the characters ... ( also add Catwoman and Batman ( yes , I am a fan, sue me :P ) )

But as you said , the stories kinda seems disconnected from the rest of New 52 or hell even New Earth 2... They should be more ''interactive'' with their correspondent ''families'' in one way or another ( I think it is inevatable ) .

The Huntress I really enjoyed was with Birds of Prey. Thats why I think they should be more interactive with them. Power Girl ( with her old attitude ) can be a good inclusion as well.

As for her costume... the change suppose to gain her more respect but as you said, her suit gets ripped after every battle as a running joke ? That means writers don't really have problem showing her ''female charms'' so I doubt this route is better than her old costume... Hell , I think the previous costume gave her a unique charm of being confident with herself...even joking about it while not demeaning herself.

The 'forced' feeling, I understand too. It seems writers have limited time to have the relationship of these two characters progress. It is as if they are forcing their way through a deadline so they can meet an event where 2 gals has to be sisters-close for event to make sense. Otherwise, they are going too fast and too easy, not feels natural. The ending of Issue 0 foreshadowed a bit.

I hope they can pick the pace up and involve them with new 52 better, because they are great characters and have lots of potential.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#61  Edited By lorex

I agree this series has been lackluster to say the least. It seems to me that this series needs to be more connected to the universe that they are in but the writers are trying to get them back to their Earth 2 homes. I wouls love to have Helena run into Catwoman on the rooftops one night and see her reaction.

ClintsEvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By ClintsEvilTwin

@ThomasElliot said:

I have to point out... one third of this article is just about Power Girl's costume alone.

While I understand the readers/fans' issues w/ PG's costume, it really isn't a major factor of why the series is a bit lackluster so far.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63  Edited By Miss_Garrick

You'd think a comic that has George "Greatest Comic Artist EVER!" Perez involved would be good, but I guess not. It can't be his fault though that's for sure.

I liked this costume design more. DC should have stuck with it. But if all they're doing is making flimsy excuses to have her be naked all the time, then whatever.

amberlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By amberlove

Sounds like they've turned Peej into Empowered. :/ Fine if it's all tounge-in-cheek but she didn't start out that way and has been reduced to it. Big difference to readers.

Spideycap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Spideycap

Im with you Babs. I honestly cant stand either of these 2 characters in the new 52. Helena's just plain boring and PG is jsut annoying. I always thought Huntress was the most interesting and best female member of the Bat family. The Bat family is pretty much my favorite thing about the new 52, but she cant even really be considered part of it yet so it seems like somethings missing.

Avatar image for kapitein_zeppos
    kapitein_zeppos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By kapitein_zeppos

It's like DC doesn't have a clue how to deal with "sexy" women. It's more slutty and exploitative than cute or funny. They should really go back and read the PG series if they do need a hint of how it should be done.

neiliusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#67  Edited By neiliusprime

I don't see World's Finest making it past issue 12. I like the concept on how DC reintroduced Power Girl and Huntress. Its just that the first story arc with the Irradiated Man is so mundane and stretched out. Shouldn't the first volume be about origin and history? Surprisingly I do like Huntress being Helena Wayne. I actually don't hate PG's new suit. Don't get me wrong I prefer the old suit over this, but I just don't like how she always ends up half naked after her battles. Whats the point of wearing a suit period?

cuddles666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By cuddles666

Put Robinson on the book and change Power Girl's costume back. While I wasn't terribly crazy about the boob window, PG's new costume with P symbol on her breast is just tacky and I like it even less. Besides, all that cleavage might convince the creative team to keep the costume on!

The series desperately needs some decent villains and I wouldn't mind some more universe-jumping added to the mix either.

Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

#69  Edited By Duo_forbidden

I agree with PG's costume. There was nothing wrong with her original costume. The way not only her costume, hell, almost all her outfits get torn make her appear cheap. It was funny the first time, but after awhile....

The other problem I have with this series is the pacing. To be honest, bother characters feel out of place on Earth 1, and that is supposed to be the general idea for this series, but considering that the two have supposedly been on Earth 1 for five years, yet still act like they just arrived in almost every issue, that's a stretch.

Probably the one factor I like about Worlds' Finest is the relationship between Karen and Helena.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By mpgeist

Very nice article. I'm still pissed that they changed PG's costume and look. She looks so lame now!

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#71  Edited By AssertingValor

Can't replace PGs old look

IronBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By IronBear

I think the art by George Perez is hopelessly dated. Acres of "tech" we have to look at. His Power Girl is down right unattractive. It's not just the constantly ripping costume but that horrible 70's hairstyle.

People are drawn to the flashback sequences because the art is better. Jerry Ordway was terrific on the Power Girl flashback in #5. EVERY issue filled with flashbacks. EVERY issue the women are lost.

The storyline goes no where. The women drift along and then we have a flashback sequence.

WHY are they keeping their existence secret again? In a world filled with aliens, amazons, superheroes that's survived a Darkseid invasion, what makes the duo think their story must remain secret? Why not turn to the Justice League for help? Why not JOIN the Justice League?

This series pays a lot of lip service to "feminism" and "sisterhood" but it sees Power Girl and Huntress basically as victims rather than the kick-butt women they've historically been in the DCU.

SiycoBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By SiycoBat

As far as appearances go, PG's problem is not the costume, it's the tacky hair cut. I want her original hairstyle.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#74  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

PG's current current costume is certainly better than the concept redesign, but that's neither here nor there.

MY MAJOR PROBLEM, as is everyone else's, is the fact she DOESN'T ACT LIKE POWER GIRL!!!!!!! A lot of personality changes have taken place in the New 52. New 52 Superman doesn't necessarily act like classic Superman but he still feels like Superman!!!!!!!

I sincerely hope they get Winick or Palmiotti to write this book if only for PG's sake. At least THEY get the character!!!!

GR2Blackout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 63

#75  Edited By GR2Blackout

It's weird how Power Girl's name's initials are "PG" when you said stuff about her "just being there to be naked these days" and all.

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By LoganRogue24

i miss amanda conners pg look hers is my favorite and second would be greg horns art work.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By DEGRAAF

i completely agree with what Babs has said. She ws a good character before and she nailed what needed to be fixed. I wasnt a fan of Powergirls solo series but i loved her in JSA All Stars. She was a smart tactician with a military like focus and reserve. She seemed short tempered and knew how to take down just about any opponent and if she didnt she would study them while battling them (she really was the closest thing we might of ever had to having an offspring of Batman and Superman).

I thought even in her solo that she ended up naked to much and for stupid reasons. I liked that she started her own company and not only started it but had it thriving (i didnt like how it felt her company just showed up one day with little explanation but maybe i missed that part) Im fine with her suit getting torn up but after the first or second time of this happening you would think she would definitely carry a spare. Also if she is as smart as she used to be she would know that her costume isnt going to hold up and needs to be made out of something more resilient

nicholai441

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By nicholai441

this series is alright to me. i hadn't been following the pre-52 versions of the characters so i don't have anything to compare this series to (i only knew the bare minimum of both characters)

i like how they gave huntress her connection to batman and catwoman. always liked that concept since the birds of prey tv series.

as far as powergirls outfit always turning to shreds.... it's the image equivalent of white noise to me. just something i don't take much notice of when it happens. i honestly only remember 2 issues it's happened in.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I agree that Power Girl has taken such a huge step backwards. It is such a shame since it seemed her new costume actually created a more dignified looking heroine.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By HexThis

I disagree that #0 was a good issue, actually. First of all, it was an all-too condensed story given that half of the comic was devoted to Power Girl- it felt rushed, cliche, and not terribly emotional. It was just sort of like "Oh my moms dead? How sad! I'm gonna kill who killed her. Oh look, I met a new best friend along the way! Yay".

Also, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not eager to see Catwoman or Batman as parents. It spoils the mystery and the intrigue of their relationship if they have 6 kids between 'em like Mike and Carol Brady before they've even said "I love you". Batman has all his robins and a Damian and now Helena.... it's too many kids. How long will it be before Helena is guilting Bruce and Selina to look at her as a daughter figure the way Rachel Summers did to Scott and Jean?

And my last point? Helena Bertinelli. She must come back.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By DEGRAAF

@SiycoBat said:

As far as appearances go, PG's problem is not the costume, it's the tacky hair cut. I want her original hairstyle.

Whats the difference? Her hair has always been short.

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

PG's current current costume is certainly better than the concept redesign, but that's neither here nor there.

MY MAJOR PROBLEM, as is everyone else's, is the fact she DOESN'T ACT LIKE POWER GIRL!!!!!!! A lot of personality changes have taken place in the New 52. New 52 Superman doesn't necessarily act like classic Superman but he still feels like Superman!!!!!!!

I sincerely hope they get Winick or Palmiotti to write this book if only for PG's sake. At least THEY get the character!!!!

I agree that is my biggest problem with her as well. I'll admit i wasnt a big fan of hers before the New 52 but im even less of a fan now. Before i didnt like how hard and cold she seemed to be but at least i understood why she was that way (being the only survivor or her universe)

@Miss_Garrick said:

You'd think a comic that has George "Greatest Comic Artist EVER!" Perez involved would be good, but I guess not. It can't be his fault though that's for sure.

I liked this costume design more. DC should have stuck with it. But if all they're doing is making flimsy excuses to have her be naked all the time, then whatever.

yeah i like this one better too (minus the face and hair). Idk why but i like the gold boots and bracelets

These two need to show up in JL, Superman, or in one of the Bat Family books (i wouldnt mind PG meeting Superman but i wouldnt allow Bruce to meet or at least not figure out who the Huntress is) There could be so many stories.

Also i think it would have been better if these two while knowing each other were not best friend and maybe just colleagues prior to go down the proverbial rabbit hole. That why they would have to learn about and trust each other building a bond that way.

Sekele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Sekele

@Teerack:

I think that somewhere in issue 1 or 2, Helena Wayne casually mentioned that Helena Bertinelli is dead, and that she took over her identity

when or how she died is never elaborated on

Sekele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Sekele

at least we still have the traditional Power Girl in Ame-Comi

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Hamz

The pre-"New52" Power Girl series was amazing and managed to cement the character as a great female role model, much more than Wonder Woman, but this new incarnation feels like such a big step backwards in regards to the progress made prior to the New52 launch.

tgd124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#85  Edited By tgd124

You know what I'd really like for a "World's Finest"? either a Damian Wayne and Billy Batson Team up (but i think Billy'd have to go back to being a little more nice and naive), or a Ted Kord Vic Sage team up (which i guess would be more like a Nite Owl II/Rorschach duo)

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#86  Edited By blackkitty

I am a HUGE fan of Power Girl from DC pre-52. I have to say, I can not get into the character in this new 52. I was so excited when I saw Karen Starr in Mr Terrific cause I thought they were going to introduce her then they put her in Earth 2 and it's not even the same character. I was so upset but picked up the series. It has none of the charm and quirkiness I loved in her series. This is just a failed series top to bottom. Huntress isn't huntress and Power Girl isn't Power Girl. They have the same names but that's it. And the outfit they came up for her doesn't dignify the character at all, it makes her look like some stupid 1970's character. This isn't fresh in any way, it's tired. I will hold out hope they decide to bring back the characters I love.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#87  Edited By Darkmount1

Babs, there's only one thing you should do--send this entire 'essay' to Paul Levitz. Let him know what he should be doing RIGHT; the way you speak of how poorly written PG is ironic considering she's being written by the guy who helped create her way back in 1976!

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By SmashBrawler
    What's Wrong With The Huntress And Power Girl In The 'New 52'?

Everything.

Scantenii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Scantenii

I disagree with much of this article. I did not read read much with Huntress or Power Girl Pre-52, but I really like the friendship between Kara and Helen. To me it kind of feels like tone of some Teen Titans Pre-52. The costume doesn't really bother me too much, but I really don't understand the love for PG's old costume. To me it always looked boring. This book is one I look forward to and I hope they don't cancel it. I am surprised that this many people have a problem with this book. There are a number of far worse books in the New 52.

JSH92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#90  Edited By JSH92

Yea, I dropped this title after #0. I might collect it in Trade if I hear good things about it, but it just isn't worth the money in my opinion. It's really too bad because I was kinda interested in the upcoming story arc where Huntress and Damian interact.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#91  Edited By No_Name_

@Scantenii said:

I disagree with much of this article. I did not read read much with Huntress or Power Girl Pre-52

Maybe you should. Read it, that is.

Scantenii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Scantenii

@Babs: Is there anything else you would recommend besides the 6 issue Huntress Miniseries? If there is anything else good or even better with these characters I would want to read it. Just never got around to reading them.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#93  Edited By No_Name_

@Scantenii said:

@Babs: Is there anything else you would recommend besides the 6 issue Huntress Miniseries? If there is anything else good or even better with these characters I would want to read it. Just never got around to reading them.

Sure. JSA CLASSIFIED had some great PG and HUNTRESS moments. I recommend Birds of Prey from like the early 2000's. Jimmy Palmiotti, Justin Gray and Amanda Conner's POWERGIRL is also a great series. :)

Fudgie29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Fudgie29

I haven't been reading the series but i'm beyond tired of seeing female characters being portrayed as just B&A to look at and its down right pathetic for a company like DC comics to throw away the character of a woman and have her clothes continuously burned off to keep readers. I don't mind the cleavage even though it doesn't seem realistic for super heroines to show it (are there any male heroes that show unnecessary skin?) I just expect a certain level of respect to be given to those who do. Seriously DC, get it together. Great job Babs. You're awesome :)

DocFishstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By DocFishstick

i feel the same way about this book. i would love to see Helena meet the batman and catwomen in this DCU. it would be cool to see the two robins meet up. the boy and girl of the bat.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#96  Edited By daredevil21134

Replace Helena Wayne with Helena Bertinelli and give Power Girl back her old costume and attitude.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#97  Edited By daredevil21134

@Ravager4 said:

Cold not agree more with this article. This new Power Girl doesn't feel like Power Girl at all, but rather some kind cheap imitation. And don't get me started on the mistreatment of Bertinelli...

Please get started on the treatment of Helena Bertinelli

shackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By shackle

You know what's wrong with comics? When you devote this much electric ink to something as trivial as a COSTUME, you have a problem.

Frankly, these pieces all reek of projection by the respective authors.

Tyrannotaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#99  Edited By Tyrannotaur

I have mixed feelings about World's Finest. Some issues I find mediocre and make me want to drop it from my pull list, other issues like the Zero are enjoyable. Its certainly not my favorite series on my Pull List, but I don't hate it by any means. I just feel like its kinda.."there". I think that once Helena and Karen find they can't hide from the rest of the DCU the book should pick up. Looks like that is planned from what I see in the Solicits. Seems Damian finds out about Huntress. I'm hoping the book picks up then. I'd hate to have to drop it but if the story keeps going nowhere I will drop it. I think what the book needs is for the ladies to find a place in the DCU and forget about returning to Earth 2. Maybe in the JLA or something. That IMO would make the book much better.

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#100  Edited By ForeverMan

@shackle said:

You know what's wrong with comics? When you devote this much electric ink to something as trivial as a COSTUME, you have a problem.

Frankly, these pieces all reek of projection by the respective authors.

Taking two paragraphs to explain how it's stupid to ditch Power Girl's taudry outfit if you're just going to turn her into a taudry character is what's wrong with comics? Critique of characterization is a trivial projection?

Uh no, it seems to be the common consensus actually. I get the impression you're projecting your general disdain for critics tbh.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.