Follow

The New 52

Concept » The New 52 appears in 296 issues.

DC Comics' controversial 2011 reboot of its entire line of ongoing comic books following the universe altering event, Flashpoint. After Doomsday Clock, it was redefined as Earth-52.

How do you feel about DC no longer using the New 52 label

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll How do you feel about DC no longer using the New 52 label (18 votes)

I think it's about time they stopped using it, it's just not "New" anymore 67%
    I think they should have kept using it, sure it's not new anymore but it was very reassuring to new readers 28%
    I think they should give this new wave of comics a new title all together 6%

Like the title says, what are your thoughts on DC no longer using the "New 52" imprint on their comics?

• 
    Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

It's 3 and a half years old so it's now really "new" anymore, so it makes sense for them to stop putting it on all their covers. But this doesn't affect the story or quality of the books at all so it doesn't matter much IMHO.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's gotten annoying lately. It's not new. And it felt like a constant reminder of the marketing ploy DC pulled to get new readers.

Getting rid of it is long overdue.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#3  Edited By Teerack

I don't really care at all, so I think that pretty much sums up why its pointless to have it on the cover anymore. I just wish they had come up with a new word so that people could refer to DC Universe as something other then the New 52 which everyone is still going to do.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SodamYat

I liked the title. any title. the title gave us an easy way to know if the comicbook in question was in continuity. Now we'll have to ask I guess. Who knows.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It makes sense taking out the label since it can't be the "New" 52 when it's been going on for around 4 years now. Only problem is that it'll be harder to separate New 52 books with Post-Crisis books, especially for comic book newbies who just started reading DC.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

One of the few intelligent things the company's done. It hasn't been New for a while, so continuing to call it The New 52 made no sense.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

It was about time. The term New 52 was starting to overshadow "DC Comics". It was like the New 52 was this separate thing like the Ultimate Universe or Heroes Reborn instead of just what DC comics are now.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By MakkyD

Death to DC for this!!!!

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@ms-lola said:

It's gotten annoying lately. It's not new. And it felt like a constant reminder of the marketing ploy DC pulled to get new readers.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingwebhead said:

@ms-lola said:

You say that like getting new readers is a bad thing.

It was about time. The term New 52 was starting to overshadow "DC Comics". It was like the New 52 was this separate thing like the Ultimate Universe or Heroes Reborn instead of just what DC comics are now.

Well said

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Nope. I say that like it was an annoying marketing ploy. It working (or not) didn't make it any less annoying.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: Oh C'mon, is it so bad to have "New 52"" written on your comic if you know it helped get more people into comics? it's the same thing with Marvel constantly setting things back to #1, sure it's annoying, but if it helps get new readers and doesn't hurt the quality, who cares?

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Did it really help, though? I'm serious. The New52 at the beginning makes sense, but it happened in 2011 and it's now 2015. It's like they kept trying to push the idea it's still new when it isn't.

Don't get me started on Marvel and their renumbering. Even worse is the 1.1, 1.2 and so on. Issue Zeros add to the hilarity. Both companies are awful with it. MarvelNOW, etc, etc. If it's to get new readers, more power to them but it's like buying tickets to a show, sitting down patiently while the ticket sellers are still out there screaming for potential customers and allowing the show to be late in hopes of getting them. And yes, I am weird with analogies, so I offer you an apology in advance. :P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.