Follow

The New 52

Concept » The New 52 appears in 296 issues.

DC Comics' controversial 2011 reboot of its entire line of ongoing comic books following the universe altering event, Flashpoint. After Doomsday Clock, it was redefined as Earth-52.

DC Cancels Four Books, Introduces New THRESHOLD Series

• 172 results
    cagedleo730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By cagedleo730

@tomlikesfries said:

Not sure about this new series. I'll have to check out the reviews.

But I have a question: Are these new titles (Superman by Snyder and Lee and JLA) going to be ongoing series?

Yes. Both books are ongoing. Anything tagged as part of the new52 is ongoing. That goes for Batman Inc as well even though Morrison is on it only until issue 12.

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 3

#152  Edited By tomlikesfries

@cagedleo730 said:

@tomlikesfries said:

Not sure about this new series. I'll have to check out the reviews.

But I have a question: Are these new titles (Superman by Snyder and Lee and JLA) going to be ongoing series?

Yes. Both books are ongoing. Anything tagged as part of the new52 is ongoing. That goes for Batman Inc as well even though Morrison is on it only until issue 12.

Wohoo! Thanks for the reply.

notarandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#153  Edited By notarandomguy

Has anyone asked how Grifter is cancelled while its been doing WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than Red Lanterns?

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummer...Grifter was wanna the few books I liked from new 52

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#155  Edited By Zeeguy91
    @sagejonathan said:

I couldn't care less about Threshold honestly. Maybe I'll pick it up when Blue Beetle appears in it. And they better put beetle on the titans or something!

Yeah, or something. The current "Teen Titans" are just a shadow of their former selves. If there's is any group or team that got screwed in the reboot, its them. 

I would like to see a Titans book (no Teen) that would consist of Raven gathering a group of heroes to help fight off her father like in the original Wolfman/Perez NTT. Maybe Blue could be one of the heroes she finds? I actually think that'd be interesting. BB and Raven are somewhat similar in that they struggle against something inside them that clashes with what they want to be, Raven with her demonic heritage and Blue with the scarab.
    RayeGunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By RayeGunn

@FoxxFireArt said:

Doesn't it strike anyone else at just how morbid it is that DC has series always lined up for the chopping block? It's almost as if it's something people look for to see what's getting canceled and what's coming into to replace it.

It makes me feel as if DC isn't putting much effort into trying to make series work. They're just looking for things to cut to put in new pet projects.

There is only so much DC can do if the sales aren't there to justify continuing a series, they are a business, the books need to turn a profit. I don't think there was anything else they could have done aside from putting a superstar team on the books, but they (understandably) reserve their top creators for more popular franchises, Jim Lee (or whatever superstar artist you care for) can only do one book a month, a writer can do maybe 4 or 5 max, there are 52 books, so... not every book can have the top talent.

They had Frankensetein cross over with the more popular Animal Man and Swamp Thing to seemingly no effect, and it was a well put together book. It's problem was that it was a bit unconventional, but making it more conventional would have killed it's appeal to those who did like it, and with no big characters it would likely not have had enough effect anyway. With Grifter, (while I don't agree with the decision and hated the couple issues I read) DC put Liefeld on the book hoping his name would boost sales. It didn't. I will grant that if they had put a creator who was less hated on it, it may have helped more, but as i outlined above, not always possible... they did try *something* they also had him fight some more popular characters, he appeared in the Superman Annual... Blue Beetle and Legion Lost I never read, so can't really comment.

Anyway... I'm sad to see Frank go, I really liked that book. But i am also curious to see what they come up with as a replacement. My first guess would have been a Wildcats book but I've learned since then that Jim Lee has dibs on it and he's busy, so not that... so guess I'll just have to be surprised.

save.me.now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#157  Edited By save.me.now

Wow and I thought blue beetle was just starting to get good too. Yeah unless Jaime is in Threshold IDGAF I say, anyone who likes these cancelled titles just don't read it out of spite. Or if you must read it just t--rent it so you don't contribute to sales.

Also

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! With grifter cancelled I'll never see Voodoo again }:^(

I actually liked Grifter too. I think Cole will be a lot less interesting on team 7.

Frankenstein I have no comment on. Legion Lost aside from Issue #0 and the Titans crossover seemed pretty meh to me.

When I saw the picture I had actually hoped they were cancelling Stormwatch. IDC if it has Midnighter and Apollo. After the whole "Fin Assassin" thing from issue #0 I'm done. Unfortunately I'll have to to--ent it so I can see how J'onn transitions from them to the JLA.

RayeGunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By RayeGunn

@save.me.now said:

Wow and I thought blue beetle was just starting to get good too. Yeah unless Jaime is in Threshold IDGAF I say, anyone who likes these cancelled titles just don't read it out of spite. Or if you must read it just t--rent it so you don't contribute to sales.

Also

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! With grifter cancelled I'll never see Voodoo again }:^(

I actually liked Grifter too. I think Cole will be a lot less interesting on team 7.

Frankenstein I have no comment on. Legion Lost aside from Issue #0 and the Titans crossover seemed pretty meh to me.

When I saw the picture I had actually hoped they were cancelling Stormwatch. IDC if it has Midnighter and Apollo. After the whole "Fin Assassin" thing from issue #0 I'm done. Unfortunately I'll have to to--ent it so I can see how J'onn transitions from them to the JLA.

I think this is a little dramatic. I liked Frankenstein a lot, but I understand that it's a business and sometimes things I might personally like may not be popular with the wider audience, and will get cancelled. So yes, I will continue to read other DC books. By boycotting the books you're hurting the sales for other series which just means more books will get cancelled. Nevermind DC, do you want to do that to fans of those books?

And I am sure you will see Voodoo again. It may take a few months, but DC has been pretty good about slotting characters from cancelled books in elsewhere... granted, it's happened a few times now that they get moved to another book that got cancelled, (OMAC to JLI, Voodoo to Grifter) but... they're making the effort to keep the characters around, all the same. I bet you anything that (Since Wildcats will have to wait for Jim Lee, apparently) she will join Stormwatch. their focus is alien threats, she's an alien hybrid, she already knows about them... it's logical. (and you're seriously dropping it over ONE PANEL? There are a number of things I have a problem with in Stormwatch, but it has been improving... one panel? seriously?)

And though it's only been 2 issues, I happen to like Grifter more in Team 7 than in his solo series, especially lately. :p

Botiste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Botiste

Grifter was horrible!! Grifter and Voodoo are both Characters Jim Lee created after leaving marvel for Image. I loved the Grifter Zealot moments in Image universe history. Zealot being the Wonder Women, Electra combo and Grifter being the combo of Gambit, Wolverine (healing factor, Team 7) and Deadpool. I, for the life of me, can not see how they let this character die. They striped him of everything that we loved about him in the Image universe and tried to come up with a sloppy rushed back story to make up for it. Edmondson started it, and Jim Lee may not have had a say, but watching your creator own heroes in the hands of Liefield is like sending your children to be crucified, a quick and painful death. RIP Grifter.

Bitchgurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Bitchgurl

@Zeeguy91 said:

@sagejonathan said:

I couldn't care less about Threshold honestly. Maybe I'll pick it up when Blue Beetle appears in it. And they better put beetle on the titans or something!

Yeah, or something. The current "Teen Titans" are just a shadow of their former selves. If there's is any group or team that got screwed in the reboot, its them.
    Boy, you're not kidding. HATE this title, and how much DC has messed it up.
    blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#161  Edited By blackkitty

I think they may have made a mistake with Frankenstein with the introduction of the Munsters new series, it's bound to have a boost for books such as that. I heard someone was Grifter was selling better than red lanterns. Sadly this is false. According to the beat, red lanterns sells around 50k while grifter is around the 20k mark. I'm rather surprised Deathstroke wasn't among the casualties but, perhaps they have tie in plans for him soon.

Now, all this being said, we now have an opening for Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew!!

neiliusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#162  Edited By neiliusprime

the only thing that is interesting me about this new series Threshold is the Larfleeze back up story.

mrtrickster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#163  Edited By mrtrickster

Frankenstein is a great book, it's a shame the sales doesn't go up

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Zeeguy91
    @Bitchgurl said:

@Zeeguy91 said:

@sagejonathan said:

For me, its more so just bad writing. I mean, if the story was executed well, I wouldn't mind. Some of the concepts in the Young Justice, like Ravagers, are actually interesting. Its just the way they've been executed that comes across of cliché and overly angsty. Overall, I'd be interested to see what would happen in Ravagers if the writing was better.

However, what annoys me most is that they can't decide (or Scott hasn't mad up his mind yet) whether the NTT history is still in continuity. One minute they say its not and then the next they say it is, and then they repeat the process. And as someone who loves Wolfman/Perez NTT, that annoys me. I mean, if its out, its out, but at least A) make up your mind about it and B) replace it with something that is worthwhile, not the crapolla that Lobdell churns out (BTW, I'm not trying to be mean to Scott Lobdell. I think that he looks to be promising on Superman and RH&TO, but on Teen Titans...). Anyway, last night I was actually thinking in my mind about a story that would center around our Titans characters that would sort of acknowledge that NTT still happened, but wouldn't contradict with anything going on in the books now (at least I don't think it would).
    Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Zeeguy91
    @mrtrickster: Tell me about it. Its because he's such an obscure character. Blue Beetle was also a pretty good book (at least in my opinion).
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#166  Edited By dernman
    @Zeeguy91 said:
    @Bitchgurl said:

@Zeeguy91 said:

@sagejonathan said:

For me, its more so just bad writing. I mean, if the story was executed well, I wouldn't mind. Some of the concepts in the Young Justice, like Ravagers, are actually interesting. Its just the way they've been executed that comes across of cliché and overly angsty. Overall, I'd be interested to see what would happen in Ravagers if the writing was better.However, what annoys me most is that they can't decide (or Scott hasn't mad up his mind yet) whether the NTT history is still in continuity. One minute they say its not and then the next they say it is, and then they repeat the process. And as someone who loves Wolfman/Perez NTT, that annoys me. I mean, if its out, its out, but at least A) make up your mind about it and B) replace it with something that is worthwhile, not the crapolla that Lobdell churns out (BTW, I'm not trying to be mean to Scott Lobdell. I think that he looks to be promising on Superman and RH&TO, but on Teen Titans...). Anyway, last night I was actually thinking in my mind about a story that would center around our Titans characters that would sort of acknowledge that NTT still happened, but wouldn't contradict with anything going on in the books now (at least I don't think it would).
    He said the old Titans team didn't exist. Even recently said Nightwing was never a member.
    Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Zeeguy91
    @Dernman: But they actually said that before and then like a few months later, they said "wait, never mind, it is still in continuity". Idk, if they'd do that again, but....
    PepeLepw55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By PepeLepw55

I'm NOT impressed with the ideas for the replacement titles (except Superman going back to his classic look)... and I got the names of a batch of other crap New 52 titles you can cancel too. The good news? I get to save my money by not buying the new garbage.

usabfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#169  Edited By usabfb

When does Justice League of America come out?

ghelba2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By ghelba2

Can't really say I'm sad to see any of those titles go. I really liked Grifter in Wildcats but just wasn't into him as a DC character or solo for that matter. I thought Blue Beetle had way too much Spanglish in it for me to enjoy it. The other 2 were ok but nothing that i can say was memorable

Avatar image for monitor_earthprime
    monitor_earthprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only title I will miss is Frankenstien. I picked it up because the Creature Commandoes included him instead of Patchwork. I have a feeling we have not seen the last of him.

egudino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#172  Edited By egudino

The only Title I will miss is blue beetle he is one of the few Mexican american comic heros

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.