Follow

The New 52

Concept » The New 52 appears in 296 issues.

DC Comics' controversial 2011 reboot of its entire line of ongoing comic books following the universe altering event, Flashpoint. After Doomsday Clock, it was redefined as Earth-52.

10 Things I’ve Learned from The New 52

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Edited By DanialCarroll

#1. Superman can be interesting when given an attitude…

Many people—myself included—have found Superman to be a tad boring in the past because he’s always acted like a goody-goody boyscout, but in The New 52, we are see a much different Supes, dropping men off of balconies to make them confess and beating up Batman, Green Lantern, and The Flash.

#2. I really like Aquaman…

I never thought I’d see the day when I would find Aquaman to be an interesting character, but in The New 52, Aquaman has turned out to be one of my favourite series.

#3. Sex in comics is “controversial”…

Sex has been part of films, TV shows, and even music videos for years, so I don’t understand why there was such an uproar over the recent Catwoman and Red Hood and the Outlaws titles.

#4. I shouldn’t believe the hype… or anti-hype…

Until the DC relaunch, I had been a Marvel-only reader, so everything I knew of DC titles was learned second-hand. One such piece of here-say was that the Green Lantern books were terrible. Even though I’m not a fan of Green Lantern Corps, I’m really enjoying Green Lantern and New Guardians, and like the concept of the other coloured Lanterns.

#5. I like the Justice League roster more than the Avengers…

Even though I still consider myself more of a Marvel man, I have never been a fan of the Avengers roster. I loved the Thor and Iron Man films, but neither character does anything for me in comics. In contrast, I’m loving the new Justice League with the classic roster of Superman, Batman, Flash, and Green Lantern.

#6. I sure love an anti-hero…

Moon Knight is my favourite Marvel character, and one of the things I like about him is that he has no qualms about hurting or killing the bad guys to get the job done. Hulk is another example. Even though he’s apparently never killed anyone, he does smash the place up quite often, which is fairly unheroic. In The New 52, one character I’ve come to love is Red Hood—aka Jason Todd, ex-Robin. He’s still fighting the bad guys, just as Batman taught him, but he doesn’t mind getting his hands dirty to do it… unlike Batman.

#7. Red Lanterns!

Still on the anti-hero topic, Red Lanterns is another new favourite. Though originally just a group of aliens who were wronged so terribly that their rage consumed them, The New 52 is tuning this and making them agents of vengeance of behalf of others who have been wronged, which I think has a lot of story potential.

#8. The Flash is still my favourite DC character…

Even though I had never read any DC before the relaunch, I had always liked The Flash. I’m not sure where I liked him from—be it some cartoon I saw as a kid or that short-lived TV series—but the fact remains. His new series was one of the ones I was most excited for in The New 52 and it did not let me down. What they are doing with him has only reinforced my mysterious preconception.

#9. Damian is annoying…

I know it’s his character to be annoying, but I don’t really find that to be entertaining.

#10. I don’t think I will ever like Wonder Woman…

I don’t know what it is about her, but the character just does nothing at all for me. I’ve felt this way for as long as I can remember, but I was honestly hoping this relaunch would change that… but it didn’t. Sorry, Wonder Woman, I tried…

BloodTalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BloodTalon

@Danial79: Did you get the Savage Hawkman? Based on what I just read by you I think you might like it.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DanialCarroll

@BloodTalon: I did, and I really liked the first issue, but the 2nd issue lost me unfortunately :/

BloodTalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BloodTalon

@Danial79: thats to bad at least you gave him a shot. I admit the 2nd issue was a little slow but I am hoping for more savagery in the issues yet to come

Rabbit_May_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rabbit_May_Cry

About Jason Todd and Wonder Woman...YES...SOMEBODY ELSE FINALLY SAID IT!! I find Damian annoyin', but tolerable. He hates Tim as well...so THAT'S a redeemable quality right there.

Mayo88m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mayo88m

I agree, agree, and agree some more with everything you said. lol Well except the Green Lantern part. I've never read them to agree or disagree, but I do have Red Lanterns on the way! Pretty stoked for it.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DanialCarroll

@Rabbit_May_Cry: @Mayo88m: I'm glad you guys agree :)

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BatteredArmor

Hey stick with the awesomeness that is the new 52 and maybe someday we'll be welcoming you with open arms to Team Dc I'm glad the reboot did it's job and ushered in new readers even if they are still marvel guys(for now..... for now)

zvex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zvex

You're definitely right about Superman. I've never been a huge fan but Action Comics is possibly my favourite at the moment. I also learnt that Animal Man and Swamp Thing are awesome

fury714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By fury714

I too did not picture myself liking Aquaman and following Action comics, but the reboot made a believer out of me.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Billy Batson

@zvex said:

I also learnt that Animal Man and Swamp Thing are awesome

you should check out their old series.
    BB

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By HolySerpent

Damien is awesome

Avatar image for theincrediblenightcrawler1999
    TheIncredibleNightcrawler1999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I feel like I just wrote this article......

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#13  Edited By Queso6p4

Nice list! I have to agree with everything you've said except for the few points with which I have no experience. I still find Damian too one dimensional.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Gambit1024

@Danial79: Totally with you on Damian. Granted, he was like that when Morrison wrote him before the reboot, but in Batman and Robin, I can't stand him.

Sorry to hear about Wonder Woman. Her story's been getting better over time, though.

AlfoLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AlfoLantern

I so agree about everything especially Damian, I said to somebody that I will never read Batman and Robin just because I can't stand the character. He screamed at me and was saying Damian is the best creation of Morrison and I was starting to piss him-off, sure dude, I can not have a different opinion about something. Wonder Woman never got me before the New 52, I didn't like his costume(only reason), even Superman was too ridiculous with the underwear, but now he seems more human and less dull.

The fact with sex in comics is acceptable if the story has a meaning for it, to see Catwoman bang-bang Batman is weird because it was the only memorable part of the comic. I still see Catwoman title as a way to sell sex, with all the focus on Cat's boobs or writing leading to ambiguous dialogues. I had forever love Green Lantern and new 52 is in a good way to keep that feeling, Aquaman was just not popular before even if many stories were very good, people were thinking of him as the dude that talks to fishes, only that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.