gmanfromheck's The Mighty Thor #1 - The Galactus Seed 1: The Silence review

Avatar image for gmanfromheck

Guess Who's Coming For Dinner?

Why is the Silver Surfer and Galactus in a Thor comic? What reason could they possibly have to be here...?

The Good

This is a stand alone Thor series. Matt Fraction has promised that despite the fact he's writing Fear Itself, the current big Marvel event, this series will not be tied to it.

When Fraction first mentioned that Galactus would be interested in Asgard, I couldn't believe it hadn't been done or addressed before. The first shot we see of Galactus commands respect as Olivier Coipel does an amazing job on that panel. Fraction gives us some insight into the mind of the Silver Surfer.

We also hear from the thoughts from a preacher in a church nearby Asgard. I can't recall seeing the thoughts from those heavy into religion and trying to make sense of all these other gods walking around. Throw in crazy action with Thor, Sif and L'il Loki...what more could you ask for?

The Bad

I mentioned that this isn't tied to Fear Itself. My question is, where does this take place in connection to Fear Itself? A small price to pay in trying to keep readers that complain about crossovers and major events in comics. Also, while the...task Thor and Sif had to go on was incredibly cool, it felt a little weird for a Thor comic. But the visuals and presentation opened up a way to look at Asgard.

The Verdict

It's no surprise that we have a new Thor series. Matt Fraction and Olivier Coipel deliver a comic that is, for the most part, new reader friendly. Despite Fraction penning the current Fear Itself major event, this title will not have a direct connection to it. In other words, you don't have to read both in order to understand what is going on (but clearly you should be). Fraction introduces some great ideas that I hadn't thought about before: Galactus visiting Asgard and what religious folk think of Asgardian Gods. Besides that we get some crazy Asgardian action (and even some hints of Asgardian bedroom action, if that's your interest). Let's not forget about L'il Loki. He does something here you'll want to see. If you've been waiting for the right time to start reading Thor, now is the time.