englentine's The Mask #0 - Who's Laughing Now?; What Revenge Means To Me; Have Gun, Will Use; Final Kick review

Avatar image for englentine

THE MASK #1 Not What I Remembered

I remember liking the Mask when it was first released. The thought of a Character that was a looney tunes come to life was interesting.Now that I am older and know more about story structure, I have to voice my disappointment.

There is no arc for the main character. He starts off a douche and becomes a bigger douche , and never changes. This may be the point of the mask , except that his girlfriend seems ok , and when she puts on the mask, even she commits a murder.

I will grant you , that there is some entertainment to be had. I did enjoy it at some point. I just would not recommend putting thought to it as you red along.

In the end it reads as some writers revenge fantasy towards those who have done him wrong. Ultimately it is a story without a point. This is one rare case where the comic book movie did the story better than the book it was based on.

Other reviews for The Mask #0 - Who's Laughing Now?; What Revenge Means To Me; Have Gun, Will Use; Final Kick