Follow

The Losers

Team » The Losers appears in 50 issues.

Ex-CIA team who seek revenge against their handler Max after he betrayed them.

'The Losers' Movie Reviewed!

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

No Caption Provided
    I really love a good action movie, but it is so rare that action films are well made. Now, when I say well made, I'm not talking about being given a 100 million dollar production budget enhanced with mind-blowing special effects. A lot of violence, guns, fighting and action, does not mean you need to sacrifice good writing and good direction. Let me just say that while this is a movie based on a comic, it is a poor reflection of the book. With an abundance of cheesy one-liners, over-the-top character portrayals, and weak chemistry between the actors on screen- this will not be the best action movie you will see this year. 

The Good

If you are looking for a comedy that will (occasionally) make you laugh, then this movie is for you. Oh, and they played my favorite Journey song, so that's something.  

The Bad

The thing about action films is that they are supposed to be unbelievable. I am not supposed to believe when I watch James Bond that any one man would actually survive half of the stunts in the film; but when I watch, I forget I am at the movies and the impossible feels believable. That is not the case in this film. The level of believability is excruciatingly low, the lines are weak, the script is cheesy and the chemistry between the actors on screen is close to non-existent. However, if I had to put the blame on one individual for the amateur quality of this film, it has to be the director. With choppy camera angles, grainy footage and the overuse of the slow motion effect; this film's cinematography left much to be desired. If a director uses slow motion, it should be to enhance and draw attention to important moments in a film. If slow motion is utilized every two minutes, it loses it's effect. It's kind of like eating too much candy- it gives you a stomach ache. Too much of a good thing is no good! 

The Verdict

I'm still not sure if this is supposed to be a comedy, or an action film, but it does poorly on both fronts. However, it is in no way a reflection of the Vertigo comic created by Andy Diggle and Jock

2/5
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

So save my money 4 iron man

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Sparda

Damn. I've still got my hopes up that I'll at least enjoy it, but it's too bad that the action and humour didn't mix well. Oh well, at least the actors look boss (Zoe? Evans? Dean Morgan? NICE!).

I love the comic, I wonder if that's gonna affect my opinion of the movie :l

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

i probably will just save this for verizon on demand movies.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Caligula

damn i was looking forward to this, still going to see it, but i'll probably wait for dvd now, and just go see Iron Man2 and NOES.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By No_Name_
    @aztek the lost said:
    " gah! I know I shouldn't have read this review! I wanted to watch this this weekend and based on the trailer I thought it'd be a perfect adaption, that and your interview with Diggle where he mentioned he had been working on the set  but at the same time Aisha always looked off to me in the movie as did Roque but hey, hopefully I'll still enjoy it, of the two other Vertigo films I've watched both were terrible adaptions but movies I enjoyed (V for Vendetta/Constantine) "
    There is a fight sequence featuring the actress that plays Aisha (Zoe Saldana) that is just BEYOND not believable. She is not big enough to take a guy like Jeffrey Dean Morgan unless she was Ms. Marvel.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Caligula
    @aztek the lost said:
    " gah! I know I shouldn't have read this review! I wanted to watch this this weekend and based on the trailer I thought it'd be a perfect adaption, that and your interview with Diggle where he mentioned he had been working on the set  but at the same time Aisha always looked off to me in the movie as did Roque but hey, hopefully I'll still enjoy it, of the two other Vertigo films I've watched both were terrible adaptions but movies I enjoyed (V for Vendetta/Constantine) "
    i agree one hundred percent, Vendetta and Constantine were both great movies, that i really liked. but it also gave me mixed feelings because they were extremely loose adaptations.
    the same way i felt about image and Spawn, i love the comics, and despite being off the movie was still somewhat fun.
    advocatefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By advocatefish

Kelso say BURN!

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sparda
    @Babs said:
    " @aztek the lost said:
    There is a fight sequence featuring the actress that plays Aisha (Zoe Saldana) that is just BEYOND not believable. She is not big enough to take a guy like Jeffrey Dean Morgan unless she was Ms. Marvel. "
    Does she go shot-for-shot with him, or does she try to use....I dunno, technique? I mean, if she's just trading punches then hell yes that's pretty ludicrous but if she's using martial arts or hitting him in the face with a 2x4 then maybe not.
    cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cmaprice

Cinematography is not necessarily the director's fault. Speaking from the angle of having had horrible directors of photography (cinematographers) the director has a myriad of other responsibilities on set to constantly be looking over someone's shoulder who is supposed to be (one would hope) professional and competent in their craft. Some directors are very much involved with their DPs, but that mostly takes place in pre-production. Good directors need to split their time effectively between the crew, but their primary focus is traditionally the actors. This of course changed slightly when George Lucas came along, but it is still supposed to be, apart from being a figurehead, their primary specialty.

However, a director has become like a president. Even if he or she is not responsible for the problem, they must take ultimate responsibility because it's their name at the top of the creative bill.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By No_Name_
    @Sparda:  Hand to hand combat. It just looks ridiculous.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Caligula
    @Babs said:

" @aztek the lost said:

There is a fight sequence featuring the actress that plays Aisha (Zoe Saldana) that is just BEYOND not believable. She is not big enough to take a guy like Jeffrey Dean Morgan unless she was Ms. Marvel. "
    I don't know about that, Fighting isn't always about size, sometimes it breaks down to skill. i think Bruce Lee could take Brock Lesnar
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sparda
    @Babs:  Morgan looks like a pretty huge guy and Zoe is kinda tiny in comparison....so....yeah, that's a bit wack.

I can push my suspense to crazy levels so maybe it won't bother me :l

Uh, maybe.
    Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Vortex13

I'm sad now =(.

GeckoNumbRone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GeckoNumbRone
    @reaper2923: Iron Man 2 is a disappointment... Believe me, I'm French, I saw it...
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By sora_thekey

I wasn't that excited to begin with (probably because I didn't read the comic book) but it was on my to-watch list 
    I might still watch this, but when I can rent it... 

Thanks for the review @Babs, now I can go watch Iron Man 2 this weekend and not feel like I missed out on another Comic Book Movie... 

Lady Tlieso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Lady Tlieso
    @aztek the lost said:
    Personally I enjoyed both the movies you mentioned & I enjoyed the Losers as well. It was a fun movie.
    GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GT-Man

sorry G-man but i think your wrong
    lastdrag0n89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By lastdrag0n89
    @Caligula:  Bruce Lee can take anyone, any where. No questions asked
    rouju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By rouju

God almighty, this review ruin my expectation and my faith on comic adaptation (Noooooooooo)

Lady Tlieso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lady Tlieso
    @aztek the lost said:
    " @Lady Tlieso said:
    " @aztek the lost said:
    Personally I enjoyed both the movies you mentioned & I enjoyed the Losers as well. It was a fun movie. "
    well that settles it then! watch it I shall!  (but just out of curiosity, did you enjoy all the comic versions as well or just the movies because of the three movies, this is the first time I've read the comic first) "
    I've never read the Losers comic so I can't compare it to that. I read the comics for V & Constantine after seeing the movie. I liked both versions but I don't really think you can look at them as the same thing. They're almost separate entities. After ruining my experience with the X-Men movies by looking for everything that wasn't "right" I've learn to shut that part of my brain off & just enjoy the film for what it is.
    Lady Tlieso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lady Tlieso
    @aztek the lost said:
    " @Lady Tlieso said:
    "I've never read the Losers comic so I can't compare it to that. I read the comics for V & Constantine after seeing the movie. I liked both versions but I don't really think you can look at them as the same thing. They're almost separate entities. After ruining my experience with the X-Men movies by looking for everything that wasn't "right" I've learn to shut that part of my brain off & just enjoy the film for what it is. "
    well you should read it, it's fantabulous! But I know what you're saying, they are like separate entities, it sounds weird saying that considering I hated Wolverine because of it's lack of continuity with the comics but maybe with non-superhero comics I'm okay with more leeway on the interpretation. "
    Oh I definitely plan on it. I'm going to look for some trades next month at the convention. I actually became a fan of Wolverine because of the movies, I didn't like him in the comics. Not really sure why. lol
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By danhimself

just tell me that Zoe Saldana is hot in it and I'll go see it....i love her

Lady Tlieso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lady Tlieso
    @danhimself: She's very scantily clad in a lot of it. lol
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By danhimself
    @Lady Tlieso said:
    " @danhimself: She's very scantily clad in a lot of it. lol "

No Caption Provided
    Lady Tlieso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lady Tlieso
    @aztek the lost said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " just tell me that Zoe Saldana is hot in it and I'll go see it....i love her "
    even the trailer proves she is! see it!

@Lady Tlieso said:
    " Oh I definitely plan on it. I'm going to look for some trades next month at the convention. I actually became a fan of Wolverine because of the movies, I didn't like him in the comics. Not really sure why. lol "
    they actually are releasing two jumbo-sized trades that collect the entire series, of course the second one is only coming out in August so you're probably better off getting the regular trades  and I hate Wolverine in general so maybe that's why i didn't like the movie :P "
    Yeah I don't think I want to wait to August. I'm not big on patience. lol 
    elayem98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By elayem98

whaaaat?? 

I loved the movie so much, I thought it was perfect in every way.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By Gylan Thomas

Trailer hooked me.
    I'm still gonna see it.

Avatar image for umarifficckzzle
    UmarifficCKzzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35  Edited By UmarifficCKzzle

Agree completely with the review. You nailed the good parts: the comedy works well enough, Chris Evans brings some much needed charisma to the cast, and the elevator/Journey scene was worth the price of admission for me. But everything felt uneven and rushed. It's never funny enough, nor is the action done well enough to warrant both. The characters are largely one-note and token, and aren't fleshed out enough to invest in any of them. The main villain, Max, is also so unbelievably, one-note in his "evil"ness that it almost becomes a parody. 

On the whole, it was enjoyable enough that I didn't regret watching it, but I wouldn't want to see it again, nor would I tell someone to rush out to theaters to see it. Best to wait for rental. 

Oh, and the snuke was quite possibly the dumbest thing I've seen in a comic book film outside of emo-Peter Parker jazz dancing and swinging around a night club.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#36  Edited By jakob187

Well, you can't expect much from the director of Stomp The Yard.   =  / 

Sorry you didn't dig the flick.  I'm gonna check it out for myself, just because I feel the need to support comic book movies, especially one based on a Vertigo comic.  There need to be more of Vertigo's books brought to the silver screen PROPERLY.   

It's good to have a heads-up that this doesn't do the book justice, though.

Also, your review makes me wonder what you thought of 300 and all its slow-motion-ness, as well as Watchmen.  Hell, Zack Snyder in general!  lol  That dood is, like, the slow-motion KING!

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By Icon

Good review. I've been on the fence about seeing this one but I believe I can wait. 

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bruce Vain

Sorry , but BOOOOO on this review.
    TylerLux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TylerLux

You know I gotta say I saw this movie the other night and it was not so bad. I thought it was funny and had good action. If you are expecting it to stay close to material, then your in for a bad time and short sided comments like some. But all around it was funny and I liked it. And if you have an issue with that then I guess you don't like the angle of my dangle.  
    later 

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By SevanGrim

im still going to see it. As much as i like Babs, i dont think she has a different (possibly higher) standard for films than the rest of us. I had issues with Kick Ass, but i still loved it.
     intelligence ruins good idiotic fun. Comedies these days are about blatant sexual reference and full frontals. If you cant dial down your knowledge to laugh at the pie jokes, your not gonna get them. I dont think Babs can dial down. But this movie, much like Kick Ass, looks pretty good, and this review doesnt change that for me.
    ... and if it sucks monkey junk, ill be back tomorrow night to recant.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By NightFang3
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    " Trailer hooked me. I'm still gonna see it. "
                 Yeah hopefully it will be a good popcorn film. 
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By goldenkey
    @lastdrag0n89 said:
    " @Caligula:  Bruce Lee can take anyone, any where. No questions asked "

you mean Bruce Leroy don't you lastdragon
    GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GT-Man

i dont think your right
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DH69

gonna see this, elm street reboot, and iron man on the 8th.

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

@Caligula said:

" @aztek the lost said:

i agree one hundred percent, Vendetta and Constantine were both great movies, that i really liked. but it also gave me mixed feelings because they were extremely loose adaptations. the same way i felt about image and Spawn, i love the comics, and despite being off the movie was still somewhat fun. "
    In all honesty i dont think any adaptation of a comic has ever really been done well   enough for fan boys/girls to not have SOMETHING wrong with it. While I have not yet seen the film and have not read the comic, I want to see this film because it looks silly and fun, not everyone can enjoy a film like that and it does look very good.  

V and Constantine where wonderful films.

@Lady Tlieso:

Agreed I think it will be a fun movie I go to turn my brain off to, much like the Predator films!  

and no offence to Babs but she is looking forward to that horrible new film with Stallone in it, forget the name LMAO so I think we disagree on films XD XD 

edit, though i realised I agreed with her on Kick Ass that was crap... lol
    Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

I found this movie to be more cliche and predictable then most action movies.  Now, I did like the basic characterizations and I thought the on screen chemistry was pretty fun.  Jason Patric as a homicidal yet childish villain was fun, but eventually turned into a caricature.   

I'll say this... Jefferey Dean Morgan could play Yojimbo.  

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

@Red L.A.M.P.: thats a big call O_o Yojimbo is god!
    Chibi-Iroh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Chibi-Iroh

I like this movie it was fun, action packed, and was just down right hilarious. I give it a 4/5.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.