Follow

The Flash

Series »

A CW TV series based on the DC superhero, set in the same continuity as Arrow and starring Grant Gustin as Barry Allen.

The Flash Episode #120: "The Trap"

• 75 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Note: There may be spoilers in this recap and review

Recap

On this week's episode of The Flash, the episode starts where last week's left off. Cisco, Caitlin and Barry are in Wells' secret hangout and they see the newspaper from the future. Cisco says "mazel tov" after learning Iris and Barry get married and Gideon, the AI for the room starts talking to them. Barry asks about Wells and learns Wells came to the past to kill Barry. He learns that he created Gideon. Wells approaches the room right after Barry speeds everyone away.

Eddie meets Joe for coffee and Eddie asks Joe for Iris' hand in marriage and Joe says he does not have his permission. Joe and Eddie head back to Joe's and talks to everyone about the time vault and Barry reveals that he traveled through time.

Flashback: Joe is asleep in a hospital room. Barry is in the bed and he has a seizure. Wells approaches Joe who is in the hall. Wells wants to take Barry to STAR Labs. Joe agrees.

Present: Back at Joe's house. Barry wants to access Cisco's subconscious. They need to get Wells to confess to the killing. At the station, Eddie shows Barry the ring and explains that Joe said no.

Cisco gets hooked up to a machine that will get him to dream and everyone will be able to talk to him while he's dreaming. Cisco relives the events of the parallel universe before Wells killed him. They get Cisco out of the dream after Wells confesses and Wells calls Barry.

There's a fire in a building and Barry speeds off to help. The building's sprinkler system isn't working so Wells tells Barry to move his hands at super-speed to create a vacuum. Barry saves everyone.

Barry heads back to STAR Labs and Wells approaches him. Wells tells Barry to not doubt himself. Back at the West household, Barry wants to recreate the scenario where Wells confesses.

Iris has Barry come meet her. Iris has something to tell him. She says everything weird happening in the city goes back to the explosion. She thinks that's how the Flash got his powers as well as the other metahumans.

Wells returns to STAR Labs and Caitlin tells him that Cisco is working on the bunker and knows what wrong with the Reverse Flash. Wells says he's going to head down there. Wells enters the room walking... Cisco backs into the device and Wells walks right in. Wells is about to kill Cisco. Joe shoots him and kills him... It's actually Everyman. Wells calls them over the intercom. Wells tells Barry he doesn't want to kill him. Barry runs to the time vault and the Reverse Flash outfit is missing. There's camera footage of everything. Wells set up the trap.

Eddie is about to propose to Iris and Reverse Flash runs in. He's about to kill Iris. Flash runs in and saves her. Iris realizes that The Flash is Barry. Reverse Flash brings Eddie to some bunker and reveals his true name. Eddie is confused.

No Caption Provided

Thoughts

Quit playing games with my heart, Flash! Why do I say that? Well, I've already had to see the best character on the show, Cisco, die once and over and over they keep referring to it and putting him in danger. In this episode, Cisco is the bait for the trap and there are moments fans will be screaming at the screen as they think Cisco is going to bite it... again, especially when Wells enters the machine.

This was a really thrilling episode though with tons of twists and turns. The final act of the episode was incredibly surprising because the STAR Labs team spends a great deal of time putting together their trap and it seems like everything is going to work out for the better but in the end, Wells has the upper-hand. What's crazy is how much of an upper-hand Wells has over everyone else. Should I still be calling him Wells? We all know he's Thawne now, but it just feels weird calling him that.

Where is this going? The episode leaves at a really interesting point and I'm intrigued. Eddie has been kidnapped by Wells and learns his secret, and does that mean that Eddie, at some point is going to have Stockholm syndrome thing here? (not the romantic kind of love though, obviously. That's weird because they're related and all) I'm worried that Wells will corrupt Eddie and Eddie, in more recent weeks, has become a character I've really become attached to.

So the big moment here, which is almost glossed over, is that Iris realizes that Barry is the Flash because of the little shock that Barry gave her, which matches the shock he gave her when he was in a coma. The moment really works well because it's more about the blinders Iris had completely dropping more than Iris having this ridiculous realization. Iris is trying to find out about all these people affected by the explosion at STAR Labs and she knows Barry was in a coma because of that. It really works well and the look on her face says it all. She didn't even need a line of dialogue.

The flashbacks really bring this episode together though. We get connections between Iris, Joe, and Barry as well as this incredibly weird relationship between a comatose Barry and Wells. At every point and turn, the way Wells looks at Barry is so bizarre. It's almost like he's looking at someone who punched his mother. The whole speech, at the end of the episode, about being able to kill Barry is even more bizarre. This is actually a great turn for the character as well. Wells has become a whole lot more interesting. Sure, he was cool when he had a bunch of secrets, but now that we know he's a bit obsessed with someone he hates, somehow, he's even more intriguing.

This was a fantastic stand-alone episode that is a huge release after a whole season of build-up. There was no villain of the week here, just a solid story. The only thing the show didn't really do well was get folks excited for the next episode. However, so much happened here with the main story that the audience will be pumped, regardless. This episode really paid off and was one of the coolest of the season.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Interesting

Cyborg6971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Gideon stating he was a founding member of the was best part.

KingKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mannnnnnnn Wells/Thawne is a beast......calculating down to the last detail......diabolical.....manipulative.....an excellent villain........episode worth 5 stars....

regiebravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love The Flash. Best superhero show today.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Loved it! But how'd Everyman know the exact dialogue to use? Aside from, "why it's to fool the viewer, of course!" I guess Wells told him what he would have said in that situation? Also, seeing as they have a tracker on Wells, they totally should have been in that room with Gideon every single time they had a window. Minor points, though. Such good stuff overall.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

great ep and next week, GRODD!!!!!!

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This episode was amazing, best one yet along with the Firestorm episodes

Snape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a wild theory that Eddie might kill himself to stop Wells from ever being born.

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I second

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

so awesome.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@snape said:

I have a wild theory that Eddie might kill himself to stop Wells from ever being born.

too dark for a the Flash show

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Certified 5 stars! This episode was awesome right down to the closing credits. Founding member...I rewound my DVR 5 times just to hear that line again! Can't wait for next week

greeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By greeneagle

Tonight was an awesome night to be a comic book geek/geek/fanboy/fangirl/fanperson...Flash was astounding, Agents Of Shield was amazing. Still no Agent Of Shield reviews i see...you guys blacklisting the show or something on comic vine?

So why exactly does Eobard hate Barry in this universe? It looks like something goes down in the future that drives him to really hate Barry.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Loved the part where Gideon was about to say what Barry was a founder of.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
    unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The episode was great.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Thor-Parker

@cyborg6971 said:

I second

Yeah, I liked that too, I suppose he was referring to the Justice League.

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By GalacticFork

@k4tzm4n said:

Loved it! But how'd Everyman know the exact dialogue to use? Aside from, "why it's to fool the viewer, of course!" I guess Wells told him what he would have said in that situation? Also, seeing as they have a tracker on Wells, they totally should have been in that room with Gideon every single time they had a window. Minor points, though. Such good stuff overall.

Wells gave him a script probably... And Wells obviously knew about the tracker anyway, he could've messed with it to tell Cisco he was anywhere. As for everyman... him looking like that when he died was stupid. That was the form he took because he didn't know. He was dead, if death turns off his power, he would have reverted to his real natural form instead of that one, but if it didn't, he wouldn't have shifted at all.

But man, Wells really had them on a string. In retrospect it was obvious he was playing them, but I was losing respect for him because of how in the dark he seemed (though I kinda figured he knew something, I didn't think he knew everything (especially with him helping them with their dream device)). Good stuff!

Something else bugged me about the episode, but I forget what it was, so it couldn't have been too important.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#19 inferiorego  Staff

@greeneagle: Tony reviews AoS and he's been travelling a lot. The dude deserves a little bit of a break. Plus, he loves you

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

#20  Edited By the_comebacks

@kingks said:

Mannnnnnnn Wells/Thawne is a beast......calculating down to the last detail......diabolical.....manipulative.....an excellent villain........episode worth 5 stars....

Completely agree. My only real negative with this episode was that they cut out the tease in the preview comic when they said founding member of. 9/10 for me.

Avatar image for leonardo_liafador
    Leonardo_Liafador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: Solid review as always!

This has to be, my favorite episode bar the christmas one

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
    HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_comebacks: They actually said the exact same thing in the episode.

WAM-Hope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PURE-AWESOMENESS!!! The Flash is by far the best superhero or comic based show today. And I'm a Marvel Knight so that says a lot (Sorry Coulson).

Now, at least we know this world will eventually have it's own Justice League, I wonder if will ever see them in some way.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

JEsus Buddha! Unbelievable episode!

~MiB

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TrueMarvel

@wam-hope said:

PURE-AWESOMENESS!!! The Flash is by far the best superhero or comic based show today. And I'm a Marvel Knight so that says a lot (Sorry Coulson).

Now, at least we know this world will eventually have it's own Justice League, I wonder if will ever see them in some way.

"By far" is a little much. It's by far better than Arrow certainly. Aos and DareDevil gives it a RUN for it's money

get it?.... because i said RUN... and we are talking about The Fl-.. nevermind. I'll see myself out

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Helsinki Syndrome ... as in, Helsinki, Sweden.

Tie for best The Flash episode with the one where Iris confesses her love, but not really. This show is so much fun to watch.

Also, the uncut long shot of Skye Black Widow-ing a gaggle of HYDRA goons was the best thing on TV this year.

strangetales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@snape: I wish Iris would do the same.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
    medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this show just keep getting better and better. the betterment of this show has no limit!!

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sentryman555

So my complaint last week was how easily Barry and them got into all of Wells secret things, this episode shows it was all just a plan made by Wells the whole time, touche 'The Flash' touche.

My only complaint with this episode is they killed off Everyman. With how creepy he looks and how insane he could get not remembering what he originally looked like, I expected some good stories out of that character.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great episode!

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good episode. Not 5 star good though.

Still find Iris annoying.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By The_Kidd

Good Episode

I find it hilarious and creepy that Joe ships his daughter and son.

Can someone explain the electrical pulse when Iris and Barry touch each other and why it never happen before.

Damn Cavanaugh is giving one the best villain performance I have seen in a while.

I actually like Eddie but he has been dealt a bad hand, I feel the writers are preping him to be this show Zolomon similar like what they did with Slade.

What is the Flash crew going to do now as Eobard ain't no longer there to hold their hands and most like out of a job?

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By Manchine

Have to say I was on the edge of my seat on this one. Loved the episode.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@snape said:

too dark for a the Flash show

But, killing someone's mom in the pilot. All good? :/

======================

Any who I want to know more about this plan Reverse Flash has. I am still confused as why he needs Barry's powers to get him back home and how he plans on forcing Barry to time jump him into the future. What is he waiting for? If he knows Barry can time travel, why didn't he spring his plan then?

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

Yeah... This kinda bugs me. I wish Joe would have some problem with it. The Barry\Iris relationship really confuses me sometimes. Did Joe never push for a more sibling relationship between the two? Did one just not develop when Barry moved in? We know the Joe\Barry relationship definitely developed into a father\son deal.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_Kidd

@the_kidd said:

Yeah... This kinda bugs me. I wish Joe would have some problem with it. The Barry\Iris relationship really confuses me sometimes. Did Joe never push for a more sibling relationship between the two? Did one just not develop when Barry moved in? We know the Joe\Barry relationship definitely developed into a father\son deal.

I don't know the writers repeated the same mistake they made on Arrow, why did they felt it was so necessary to introduce the main love interest so early. Iris could have been introduce in season 2 so we could have skipped the pinning/love triangle subplots.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@the_kidd said:
    @galacticfork said:
    @the_kidd said:

I don't know the writers repeated the same mistake they made on Arrow, why did they felt it was so necessary to introduce the main love interest so early. Iris could have been introduce in season 2 so we could have skipped the pinning/love triangle subplots.

This is one of the few times where it really bothered me about Barry/Iris. Because Dr. Wells and Joe in the flash back scenes strongly referred to Barry as Joe's "son". So, it bothers me that Joe is pushing hard for a Barry/Iris hookup. I work in Foster Care, so for me it would be like one of our Foster Parents trying to hook up their child with one of our Foster kids. I realize that these are two consenting adults, but this **** just got weird.

The love triangle doesn't bother me a whole lot because in this case the love triangle can lead to Eddie becoming a villain. Like the mini love triangle between Shadow/Ollie/Slade was a positive thing for the show because it leads to Slade becoming a villain. Love triangles between 3 pure good guys are annoying and pretty much lead to nowhere. Like Felicity/Ollie/Atom it's not going to have any major impact whatsoever on the main plot of the show. Atom is still gonna be a good guy and he's still going to the spinoff show.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

That newspaper made the episode for me. And Wells. Him too.

I was hoping for more with Iris discovering Barry's secret. For her to deduce it on her own would have been a better service to the character than to use a random shock introduced in this episode.

And at times the episode dragged a bit, just going around in circles avoiding Wells, filling in characters on information the viewer already has, and setting the trap.

But still a solid episode in spite of a bit of slowness. 8/10

Flash just keeps getting better and better. I really can't wait to see Team Flash having to deal with things without Wells now. Maybe even Barry working (temporarily) solo next season.

Also, kudos to the show for the Vibe glasses.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's on now!

Wells playing them for fools for so long and now just when they think they have him, he pulls back the curtain and laughs in their faces. :) Best episode so far. Pray rest of the episodes are on par, next week is Grodd's time to shine.

After Arrow I was not too convinced CW could do a superhero show I could enjoy but now they are nailing it every week on Flash, I know they are doing a spinoff, really looking forward to that now. That and the Vixen animated show set in their verse.

Crimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Crimz

Wells has cameras everywhere, so he would of seen Cisco reliving the changed timeline. And probably wrote a script for Hannibal based on Cisco's description.

Avatar image for firestormfate1919
    FirestormFate1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't want Eddie to go bad. He's such a good person.

KingKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_comebacks: yea true.....I was waiting for the JL line.....I think the DCU would have blown up......

KingKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sbyrstall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@firestormfate1919 said:

I really don't want Eddie to go bad. He's such a good person.

I don't know if he'll go bad as so much hold so much anger towards Barry because a) he was in love with Iris and b) he knows Barry's secret. Both to much for one person, especially if he wasn't technically in the loop.

This will now be interesting that it's all out about Rev. Flash as what he'll do without Star Labs at his disposal. Looks like he went to an alternate facility with Eddie and will do his work from their.

This episode did have me on the edge of my seat especially the dream/time scene. Now it makes me wonder if Thrawn was also having time stream flashbacks like Cisco.

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_comebacks: They actually said the exact same thing in the episode.

They cut out the word justice. which begs the question if they haven't decided for sure that would be the name.

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingks said:

@the_comebacks: yea true.....I was waiting for the JL line.....I think the DCU would have blown up......

Yes and it would have been a great name drop (even if they snuck the word justice or even "just")

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

Liked the part at the end when Wells is talking to Barry. How ironic that the Flash's greatest enemy would help bring forth the hero's creation

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

10/10

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
    deactivated-59c716930b8a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.