Follow

The Flash

Series »

A CW TV series based on the DC superhero, set in the same continuity as Arrow and starring Grant Gustin as Barry Allen.

5 Developments From The Flash: Season 2, Episode 21 [SPOILERS]

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

With Barry gone or dead, the STAR Labs team tries to figure out how to get him back. Also, Wally and Jesse deal with the after-effects of getting hit by Barry's mist. Where is Barry and how can he come back from the dead?

Warning: Spoilers for the episode ahead.

No Caption Provided

Barry isn't Dead

Obviously, the titular character of the CW show isn't dead. He's alive, somewhere, and Cisco catches a vibe of Barry, standing within a tornado looking structure. Cisco's powers are getting more and more powerful, especially with help from Harrison Wells' technological advancements. With that, Cisco can actually reach into the other world where Barry is at and communicate and interact with him.

The Speed Force is a Sentient Being

Prior to this episode, the Speed Force was just a concept that Barry got his power from. This season has hinted at the fact there's more to the Speed Force than previously thought. Barry finds himself inside the Speed Force in the episode and can communicate with it. The Speed Force takes form as people Barry recognizes and leads him through places familiar to him in order to bring everything in perspective.

No Caption Provided

Barry Can Go Home Early, Without His Powers

Cisco reaches through to try and get Barry to come home. At this point, Barry can go home, but if he does so, it's without his powers. Barry chooses to stay in the Speed Force, in order to get his powers back, since he'll need them to defeat Zoom, and trying to get his powers back is how he ended up "dead" in the first place.

Girder Returns from the Dead

One of Barry's old foes come back as the villain of the week. Stray energy from the accelerator, when the STAR Labs crew were trying to make Barry fast again, somehow put some zombie-like life back into Girder. He's after Iris, and goes on a bit of a rampage in Central City, including beating on a man's mother's car. Said man was played by Kevin Smith's best friend, Jason Mewes (Smith directed this episode). Obviously, it took some of Wells and Cisco's tech, along with The Flash, to bring him down.

Zoom has his on gallery of Rogues

The episode leaves viewers with Zoom at Central City Police Department, giving a speech about taking the city. After his speech is finished, we see a sea of metahumans inside the police station. Looks like Zoom has been recruiting everyone he can in order to take over this world.

No Caption Provided

Once again, The Flash tries to put a bit too much into an episode in order to please every viewer. The reintroduction of Girder was unnecessary, as Barry's story, along with Cisco and company trying to get him back, was more than enough for the episode. Because of the inclusion of that story, it took away some of the emotional impact from moments like Barry talking to his mother (the form of his mother that the Speed Force took). The Girder story did add some action and fun to the episode, picking up the pace a bit, but overall, this episode feels a bit overstuffed.

The developments with the Speed Force should be considered the biggest moment in the episode, even though it feels like a background piece to everything going on. Because the Speed Force is more than this concept that just exists, much like electricity. It's more like an entity capable of thoughts, feelings, and decision-making. This brings another level to who and what The Flash is.

Obviously, this episode ends with a bittersweet moment as Zoom has gathered his own group of rogues. It's going to lead to one big battle in the final two episodes of the season, and it seems like Flash will be up against impossible odds. However, when Barry touched Jesse, it seemed like the Speed Force shocked her back to life. Because of what happened in the last episode, fans are all speculating that they'll see both Jesse and Wally as speedsters before the season is over, and that's how they'll beat Zoom.

What did you think about this week's episode? What were your favorite moments?

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

The scene with Barry and his mom was great but the parts with Iris felt so forced. Barry's father coming back to save his son seems pushed to the side for Iris to be viewed as a more important character and seemingly tease the audience more with their relationship.

She honestly just comes across as annoying though, especially the seen where Cisco tried to protect her from zombie Girder "get me behind me" said Cisco "no, you get behind me" says Iris, now, Cisco has powers. Powers for some reason he's learned to control but never uses to defend himself for some reason but he has powers. Zombie Girder had powers. Iris has good fashion sense and a sassy attitude. My money would be on Cisco winning the fight against Girder rather than Iris.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The last three episodes feels like table setting episodes which sucks because its so late in the season, I hope Zoom dont spill over into future seasons.

So the Speed Force choose Barry? Does that mean it choose psychopaths like Zoom and Thawne too? Thawne specifically mention being connected to the Speed Force and not the Negative Speed Force. Guess they'll recton that in the future.

When Joe dropped the mug to test Wally, did it fall in slow motion from Wally perceptive but he didnt know what to make of it?

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

@the_kidd said:

The last three episodes feels like table setting episodes which sucks because its so late in the season, I hope Zoom dont spill over into future seasons.

So the Speed Force choose Barry? Does that mean it choose psychopaths like Zoom and Thawne too? Thawne specifically mention being connected to the Speed Force and not the Negative Speed Force. Guess they'll recton that in the future.

When Joe dropped the mug to test Wally, did it fall in slow motion from Wally perceptive but he didnt know what to make of it?

I think with Wally, the show knew that fans could figure out that Jessie and Wally getting exposed to Speed Force could give them powers and felt rather than tease us the entire episode, they should at least get something out of the way.

I can appreciate that but also feel like this entire episode has been too heavy handed with Wally loving speed and wanting to do things fast, dangerous and that line about loving speed and wanting to help people in the previous episode. He may as well have said "I want to be the Flash".

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
    redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

Zoom should spill over into the next season. If I were the writer Zoom would have been the overarching villain only showing up here and there throughout the season whereas his Earth 2 lackeys and the emotional weight they carry could have been the focus of this season while dropping hints about Zoom's true identity. I would have had the season end by having Barry and Cisco stuck on Earth 2. The first half of season 3 would be about them trying to get home while finding even more out about Zoom while back on Earth 1 they would be excepting Jay as the new Flash while the team would start to notice something was up with him etc. Anyway loved seeing the E2 version of Deathstorm with Jax but I'm wondering how that would work since E2 Deathstorm with Stein and Ronnie died

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

Zoom should spill over into the next season. If I were the writer Zoom would have been the overarching villain only showing up here and there throughout the season whereas his Earth 2 lackeys and the emotional weight they carry could have been the focus of this season while dropping hints about Zoom's true identity. I would have had the season end by having Barry and Cisco stuck on Earth 2. The first half of season 3 would be about them trying to get home while finding even more out about Zoom while back on Earth 1 they would be excepting Jay as the new Flash while the team would start to notice something was up with him etc. Anyway loved seeing the E2 version of Deathstorm with Jax but I'm wondering how that would work since E2 Deathstorm with Stein and Ronnie died

IDK man, the Zoom plot already felt like it should of ended a few episodes ago having it continue for another season might be over kill. The decision to make Barry gave up his powers to Zoom was an incredibly half-assed way to flesh out this season. I do like your idea about being trapped on Earth 2 though because the show didnt explore Earth 2 enough.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be super pissed if the man in the iron mask mystery isn't resolved by the end of the season!

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8c48323d2d9
    deactivated-5c8c48323d2d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like that the speed force is a' sentient' being. It's stupid.

It just doesn't make sense and like Barry said, It's like talking to gravity.

It's like the whole spiderman spider totem thing.

So what is there a sentient vibe force that powers cisco? Does weather wizard get to talk to thor now? Does Killer Frost get to have a nice frozen moment talking to a sentient cold force?

xsbrx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do I have the feeling that Zoom will be dragged for another season and the finale gonna end in a cliffhanger?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Agreed. especially how it acted. If anything, it would have been cooler to see his Dad be the the remnants of speedsters from other worlds (or from when he was The Flash in the 90's).

Avatar image for vincent_valjean
    Vincent_Valjean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Vincent_Valjean

I agree,this could have been a much better episode.The Girder reintroduction was not only unnecessary,it was really really dumb(zombie Girder?Seriously??).When he was reanimated,one of the persons who he saw first was Iris but then he escaped STAR labs only to find her?Doesn't make any sence at all!

The writers should have work more on the speed force story.Also,Barry accelerating Jessie's recovery using the speed force was way too pushed(one moment she is in a coma,next minute she wakes up and everything's fine).

P.S. Boy,could the actor who played the Girder be more dumb?

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lordraiden
    deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@royal_warrior said:

@lordraiden: it already has been resolved

What'd I miss?

When Barrys father said his mothers maiden name was Garrick, So everyone thinks Jay Garrick (The real one) Is Barrys father who is the guy in the mask, Still, it can be Eddie since he wasnt seen on Earth 2 yet. But it would be cool if it was Oliver, (It would be funny if they threw in Constantine as a joke lol.)

devitciiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

Any obvious villains spotted in Zoom's team?

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lordraiden

@lordraiden said:
    @royal_warrior said:

What'd I miss?

When Barrys father said his mothers maiden name was Garrick, So everyone thinks Jay Garrick (The real one) Is Barrys father who is the guy in the mask, Still, it can be Eddie since he wasnt seen on Earth 2 yet. But it would be cool if it was Oliver, (It would be funny if they threw in Constantine as a joke lol.)

Interesting, I do remember that, but hardly call that resolved. Cheers.

GrimoireMyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The stuff about the speed force was cool but the whole needing Iris and Cisco to bring Barry back was incredibly annoying and forced.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bbee326da7b7
    deactivated-5bbee326da7b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was expecting Barry to be faster but then he got tagged by the dumb metal dude

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obvious stuff coming. So Caitlin is going to leave Zoom, which will finally push him to go against her wishes and start killing team Flash. Still makes no damn sense. He collected all these villains, with plans to take over the city or world or whatever. So does that mean if Caitlin doesn't leave him, they will kill everyone who opposes them... except team flash?

Also,

Speedforce: "Barry, we chose to give you these powers".

How Barry should have responded, "Whose bright idea was it to give them to a psychopath on earth-2?"

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By w0nd

@saintwildcard said:
    @soaringturkeys said:

Agreed. especially how it acted. If anything, it would have been cooler to see his Dad be the the remnants of speedsters from other worlds (or from when he was The Flash in the 90's).

It's no better in the comics. It has been a place:

that drives people insane that aren't speedsters.

A place that looks like a mirror world

A place that is all red, with all red energy

and a jungle paradise.

Also it's alive

Also Barry created it, and it traveled through space and time to give him his own powers

also It is a sentient being sometimes

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A sentient speed force is not appealing.

Barry's speed powers should not have been 'destiny'. The speed force obviously chose poorly because Barry has already given up those powers due to his lack of confidence and inability to stop powerful antagonists. The writers are not doing a good job of making Barry a likable hero.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordraiden said:
    @royal_warrior said:

What'd I miss?

That's not "resolved" that's still speculation until the mask comes off no?
    People do this every season and say the answer is obvious and already figured out...and then it turns out to be wrong.

Lunarstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn I wished no one would helped (save) Barry I hoped instead he was to create the ability to enter and leave the speed force at his own will. Oh well.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the episode and thought it was awesome. I don't know what the rest of you are complaining about. One of the best episodes yet.

Anjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Anjon

Damn I wished no one would helped (save) Barry I hoped instead he was to create the ability to enter and leave the speed force at his own will. Oh well.

When Barry materialized his suit onto his body, I thought "Finally, he's going to do something cool without the help of his friends' deus ex machinas... And he still couldn't do anything. It would have been so great to see Barry just break out of the Speed Force and use one of The Flash's many (unseen in the show so far) abilities to defeat Girder and show the team and the audience that he's actually grown.

Instead he shows up and bumbles around exactly as he's done before.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a39006e28280
    deactivated-5a39006e28280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL @ Cisco "I am so glad you're back cause we're about to die"

Lunarstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjon: True, not only that but he even managed to get himself tagged by a zombie too. Just a facepalm. Can't wait for how they gonna explain Zoom getting crushed now with his marry band of rouges after that. They need to dump few of the cast too and start focusing on Barry's journey exploring his powers on his own terms. It's like more people know about his powers than he does and telling him what to do ironi of it is that he is the guy that feeds the speed force through the multiverse in the comics. Different iteration of the hero I guess.

RavenKingXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

So what is zoom's endgame? Also they better give a lot more thought into the season 3 big bad.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By d9000

Another good episode that could have been better. I agree with the article, the Girder stuff was unnecessary. Wish they'd spent more time explaining the Speed Force and more time with Zoom. But overall still cool. I'm fine with a sentient Speed Force. Makes just as much sense as any other way to explain or define it.

One thing I really enjoyed was Barry's character growth. You get the feeling he really has changed. I also think that Henry's reintroduction means the man in the iron mask is Earth 2 Henry Alan-Garrick. Not sure how that could make sense though.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

@kiba said:

I loved the episode and thought it was awesome. I don't know what the rest of you are complaining about. One of the best episodes yet.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you guys complain too much , yawn

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.