Follow

The Flash

Series »

A CW TV series based on the DC superhero, set in the same continuity as Arrow and starring Grant Gustin as Barry Allen.

5 Developments from The Flash: Season 2, Episode 19 [SPOILERS]

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

After the events of last week's episode, Barry Allen no longer has his speed force powers. However, Central City still needs The Flash as a new villain with super-strength, Griffin Grey, is holding Harrison Wells captive. Grey needs Wells to stop his rapid aging before he dies.

Warning: There are some spoilers ahead, for episode 19, "Back to Normal."

Barry Adjusts to Life as a Normal Person

No Caption Provided

This is the first time in over a year where Barry hasn't had his powers. He's gotten used to being connected to the Speed Force, so there is a learning curve when it comes to doing everyday things. He's back to doing forensic work the old fashion way: lifting finger prints off a car. More importantly, without his powers, he and the STAR Labs team have to resort to trickery and technology when taking on other metahumans. It's truly a team effort in the field when Flash and company fight Griffin Grey.

Why Zoom is Keeping Caitlin Alive

No Caption Provided

On Earth-Two, Zoom has been keeping Caitlin alive. Why has he been doing this? Zoom explains to her it's because he loves her. Apparently, not everything Zoom did, while deceiving everyone on Earth-One, was a complete ruse. Zoom has true feelings for Caitlin, although he certainly has a funny way of showing it. Above everything else, Zoom will continue to keep Caitlin alive, while bringing her to other Earths, which he plans on conquering.

The Fall of Killer Frost

No Caption Provided

Caitlin comes face-to-face with her Earth-Two counterpart, Killer Frost. She's also a prisoner in Zoom's hideout. Frost wants Caitlin to help her escape, since Caitlin isn't handcuffed nor locked in a cage. Cailtin goes along with it since she wants to escape too. After figuring out a way to shatter the glass Frost is held in, Killer Frost walks out and turns on Caitlin, throwing a dagger-like icicle at her. Zoom rushes in, grabs the icicle and stabs Frost with it, killing her.

Harrison Calls His Daughter "Jesse Quick"

No Caption Provided

Harrison spent his time on the episode searching for his daughter, Jesse. Fans of the show and the comic book series have all know Jesse is based on Justice Society of America member, Jesse Quick. Jesse is another speedster from Earth-Two. At the end of the episode, when Harrison is reunited with his daughter, he calls her "Jesse Quick." Comic fans everywhere probably got chills down their spine during this fan service moment. Now, how is she going to get her powers?

How Flash Will Get His Powers Back

No Caption Provided

Jesse and maybe even Wally getting their powers may lie with Barry getting his powers back. Harrison Wells wants to create another particle accelerator to recreate the accident that turned Barry into the Flash in the first place. Apparently, that's going to be the central story of next week's episode. Let's see if they can do this without creating a whole slew of new metahumans who the Flash has to fight.

In an episode that feels like 90% filler, it's clear that having the second season of The Flash go over 20 episodes isn't working for them. This season could easily be tightened up and work well as with 13 episodes. The show tries to deliver a season-long storyline while trying to give a "villain of the week" story as well. They're adding so much to each episode, but at the same time, it feels like the past couple of episodes haven't delivered much.

Probably the most frustrating thing about this week's episode, aside from still trying to piece together the "time remnants" explanation from last week, is that the viewer knows nothing more about the man in the mask that Zoom has captive. The camera cuts to him a few times, but there's no new information. With how long this has been sitting out in the open, it's extremely frustrating to have nothing progress for that story.

There were some better moments of the episode though. Fans of the comic book may have been pretty excited to see Griffin Grey in the episode. He's a relatively new character in the world of Flash, debuting in 2006. It was a bit of a bummer to see the character appear dead at the end though, as his story in the comics could provide for a great episode.

As for Wells building another accelerator to give Barry his powers back, that seems extremely reckless. This is the same accident that created some of the Flash's worst villains, and they'll be recreating the disaster in order to save Caitlin: one person. We'll see how this all plays out next week, but it feels like the ends don't justify the means. For a show that embraces science, even if it's a science fiction show, this season has started to make a lot of bizarre leaps in logic.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Cool episode, I think that Griffin arc's was very cool. I think it makes sense for Barry to try to get his powers again with the particle accelerator (in the preview it seems that it's going to have smaller scale this time). Besides Central City already has a lot of powerful enemies if the Flash is gone nobody can protect it, so he needs his powers again.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They wasted Killer Frost in this episode and have ruined Zoom since reveling his identity.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait for Wally to some how get caught in the accelerator explosion....i mean thats totally going to happen, though idk if the show even has room for too full time speedsters in the story.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

Harrison already referred to his daughter as Jessie Quick several episodes ago.

This episode honestly just felt like filler, almost exactly like the one where Jay fought Quake while Barry was on Earth-2. Jay had no powers (except for the Velocity 9), meta-human shows up at worst time, it takes more than just Flash to beat said meta-human, it all works out in the end and is basically pointless.

What would have made more sense would be to finally give Cisco a costume and put him in the field. He has control over his vibe, can open dimensional gateways, it is about time he learned to create vibration shock-waves like his doppelganger so he can fight alongside Barry. It feels like they are dragging their feet and making every excuse to not have Vibe join.

Green Arrow has Spartan, Speedy, and until recently Black Canary (and I guess Vixen on call)

Legends has Atom, Firestorm, White Canary, Captain Cold, Heatwave and Hawkgirl

It's about time Team Flash expanded a little, so next time a meta-human comes around and Barry is caught flat-footed he doesn't need to be alone

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They wasted Killer Frost in this episode and have ruined Zoom since reveling his identity.

Agreed, although the way she talked was terrible. It was like someone who was trying way too hard to be a campy super villain. Hard to take someone in a bustier seriously with all the terrible ice puns and unnecessary extension of end letters in words.

Zoom also feels considerably less evil. It's like they're trying to build sympathy for him and the ending where he plans to conquer other worlds doesn't make him seem nearly as homicidal.

This episode felt like it was about 10% story and 90% relationships; Barry & Iris, Wells & Jessie, Wally & Joe, Wally & Flash, Zoom & Caitlin, even Caitlin & Killer Frost, talking about their mothers...I worry this show might turn into Supergirl and be about 40 minutes of discussing relationships and dating and about 5 minutes of action

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This episode honestly just felt like filler, almost exactly like the one where Jay fought Quake while Barry was on Earth-2. Jay had no powers (except for the Velocity 9), meta-human shows up at worst time, it takes more than just Flash to beat said meta-human, it all works out in the end and is basically pointless.

What would have made more sense would be to finally give Cisco a costume and put him in the field. He has control over his vibe, can open dimensional gateways, it is about time he learned to create vibration shock-waves like his doppelganger so he can fight alongside Barry. It feels like they are dragging their feet and making every excuse to not have Vibe join.

Green Arrow has Spartan, Speedy, and until recently Black Canary (and I guess Vixen on call)

It's about time Team Flash expanded a little, so next time a meta-human comes around and Barry is caught flat-footed he doesn't need to be alone

All the people Green Arrow has were trained prior to taking up their mantle (Black Canary had SOME at least). The same with the people in Legends, they all had previous experience, or if they don't, they have heavy firepower to compensate i.e. Atom and Firestorm.

I think Cisco/Vibe would just be too green. If they put him in as Vibe in the beginning of next season with some explanation that he trained between the seasons, I'd buy that.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc-holiday: He might do that on the next episode, Rupture is Cisco's brother from Earth 2 and he is the bad guy on the next episode.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
    deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

Can we just kill Jess? For a genius she sure is dense and dumb as hell. "Oh you tried to protect your one and only child so you have to be as bad as a crazy killer who has murdered more people than he can count!"

Pff, pathetic.

humphreytt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes but who the hell is the guy in the mask?

xsbrx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, looks like Flash still haven't recovered from that 3 weeks break, because this week's episode was just as bad as the last one.

I have to admit Zoom phasing through Caitlin was pretty cool though.

The rest was meh at best.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a39006e28280
    deactivated-5a39006e28280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes but who the hell is the guy in the mask?

The real Jay.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

RavenKingXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

the man in the iron mask is one of the few things that has kept my interest. Also am I the only one who noticed that the flash and wally's relationship seems like the arrow and Roy's. You know what with the "he saved me, now I want to meet him, becuase he is my hero." All he needs to do now is become an informant for the flash untill he gets his powers and we are good to go.

chrisburgess99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The man in the Iron Mask is either the real Jay or Johnny Quick. The Earth 2 in the beginning of the season seemed similar to Earth 3. More villains than heroes and as the season comes to an end it does seem it is more similar to Earth 3 than the viewers may have thought. The other story thread that seems to be open, but not discussed. Could Ronnie be alive and on a complete different Earth. It seems that Jay/Solomon character may be jumping to different Earths and that may be the overall story arc for season 3. Hopefully next year the season will not have "filler" episodes than do not move the season forward.

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kid_jakeriv

Anyone else think the guy in the mask is Earth 1 Hunter Zolomon's dad? His name could be Jay, and that would explain why Zoom chose that name.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By d9000

"...it's clear that having the second season of The Flash go over 20 episodes isn't working for them. This season could easily be tightened up and work as well with 13 episodes."

Totally agree with this statement. HOWEVER, I did like this episode. I don't mind "villain of the week" when it's an interesting villain or idea (which I think it was). I liked the Harry/Jessie dynamic in this and I like Jessie becoming a useful member of Team Flash.

I'm glad they aren't pushing Cisco into the superhero suit. If you've been watching you know he's clearly not ready to max out his powers yet, but I'm sure in time he will. He's a great character as is, no need to change for the sake of change.

I actually like what's happening with Zoom's character. I mean, it may have been better to take a darker route and make him completely un-human or something but they chose to make him a mentally damaged human. He wants love but he's evil about how he gets it. He hates his dad but he's basically become his dad and he's struggling with that. It all makes sense to me.

I'll be honest, I thought Killer Frost had already died so her death was not a downer for me (plus her voice was really annoying).

xsbrx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xsbrx

Anyone else think the guy in the mask is Earth 1 Hunter Zolomon's dad? His name could be Jay, and that would explain why Zoom chose that name.

Kreisberg said they respect Jay Garrick and wouldn't make a villain of him.

The guy in the iron mask could be the real Jay, considering how he reacted when Barry told him, that Jay is safe with them on Earth-1, but unless Zoom was lying about his dad killing his mother, I don't think his dad could be Jay.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 the_stegman  Moderator

Can we just kill Jess? For a genius she sure is dense and dumb as hell. "Oh you to protect your one and only child so you have to be as bas as a crazy killer who has murdered more people than he can count!"

Pff, pathetic.

I was so annoyed by Jesse. HE TRIED TO SAVE YOUR LIFE. Who cares if he did some shady stuff along they way, ungrateful idiot.

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sachmoo

No mention of the cool, 'Ace chemicals' easter egg?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @d9000 said:

"...it's clear that having the second season of The Flash go over 20 episodes isn't working for them. This season could easily be tightened up and work as well with 13 episodes."

Totally agree with this statement. HOWEVER, I did like this episode. I don't mind "villain of the week" when it's an interesting villain or idea (which I think it was). I liked the Harry/Jessie dynamic in this and I like Jessie becoming a useful member of Team Flash.

I'm glad they aren't pushing Cisco into the superhero suit. If you've been watching you know he's clearly not ready to max out his powers yet, but I'm sure in time he will. He's a great character as is, no need to change for the sake of change.

I actually like what's happening with Zoom's character. I mean, it may have been better to take a darker route and make him completely un-human or something but they chose to make him a mentally damaged human. He wants love but he's evil about how he gets it. He hates his dad but he's basically become his dad and he's struggling with that. It all makes sense to me.

I'll be honest, I thought Killer Frost had already died so her death was not a downer for me (plus her voice was really annoying).

It's the main problem with most primetime shows imo. Any show over 20 episodes drags out way too much. To me, the perfect length per season is between 10-12 episodes.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc-holiday said:

All the people Green Arrow has were trained prior to taking up their mantle (Black Canary had SOME at least). The same with the people in Legends, they all had previous experience, or if they don't, they have heavy firepower to compensate i.e. Atom and Firestorm.

I think Cisco/Vibe would just be too green. If they put him in as Vibe in the beginning of next season with some explanation that he trained between the seasons, I'd buy that.

I never liked the new Black Canary, she had about a couple weeks of training with Black Cat and was barely able to handle anyone and then after like two more weeks with Green Arrow she was suddenly close to his level. It took Speedy, GA and Spartan years to get as good as they are and she suddenly gets at their level in about a month or two. I was not disappointed when she died.

Also, I kind of agree with the Vibe training thing but also think they could do something where he goes through a dimensional gate, time acts differently in said area and he comes back stronger and more well prepared for combat.

It could also lead to other enemies.

I am still waiting for Abra Kadabra, the magician from the future, to show up

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By d9000

It's the main problem with most primetime shows imo. Any show over 20 episodes drags out way too much. To me, the perfect length per season is between 10-12 episodes.

It's definitely a trend. Most great shows have pretty short seasons. Cough Cough Daredevil!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 the_stegman  Moderator

@d9000: Every great show I can think of is like that. Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Fargo, etc, etc.

werst9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By werst9

I wish these shows would make the villains a smarter, more viable threat rather than making the heroes complete idiots.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we just kill Jess? For a genius she sure is dense and dumb as hell. "Oh you to protect your one and only child so you have to be as bas as a crazy killer who has murdered more people than he can count!"

Pff, pathetic.

Agreed.

Maybe we can also stop with the scenes where every single person gets a line

Cisco "I've developed a tool to stop the new meta, it uses ______"

Caitlin "Which is basically like ______"

Joe "I don't get it but will somehow form my own opinion on super science I don't understand"

Iris "I am here also and somehow as a journalist understand more than the average person on super science and keep getting involved in dangerous situations despite a lack of training, knowledge or powers"

Just because a character doesn't speak doesn't mean they aren't integral to the plot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull said:

Pff, pathetic.

I was so annoyed by Jesse. HE TRIED TO SAVE YOUR LIFE. Who cares if he did some shady stuff along they way, ungrateful idiot.

I know right? I'm not even surprised anymore at this point. It's the same deal with every CW chick. They always complain even though the hero is clearly making a logical valid decision. Life isn't black and white, sometimes you have to make hard choices, but that's kinda hard to do when brain dead idiots are nagging at you 24/7.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@theacidskull said:

Pff, pathetic.

Agreed.

Joe "I don't get it but will somehow form my own opinion on super science I don't understand"

Iris "I am here also and somehow as a journalist understand more than the average person on super science and keep getting involved in dangerous situations despite a lack of training, knowledge or powers"

Just because a character doesn't speak doesn't mean they aren't integral to the plot.

The odd thing is I think season 1 mentioned Iris having some experience in criminalistic psychology or something so there actually is something she could add to the team especially back when villains still had their own agendas instead of being just sent by Zoom for Zoom reasons.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we just kill Jess? For a genius she sure is dense and dumb as hell. "Oh you tried to protect your one and only child so you have to be as bad as a crazy killer who has murdered more people than he can count!"

Pff, pathetic.

No I disagree. She's young, she's not a parent and she's never been in her dad's shoes so she can't understand how he feels. She doesn't want to be the reason why he does terrible things because she liked him as he was before all the Zoom stuff started. Which, btw, was all Harry's fault anyway so she's probably holding that against him as well. That's not dumb, that's actually a pretty natural reaction.

You can see by the end of this episode that she lightens up on him because he was kidnapped and now she knows what it feels like to be on the other end. Personally I think it's a decent character progression.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000 said:
    @theacidskull said:

Pff, pathetic.

No I disagree. She's young, she's not a parent and she's never been in her dad's shoes so she can't understand how he feels. She doesn't want to be the reason why he does terrible things because she liked him as he was before all the Zoom stuff started. Which, btw, was all Harry's fault anyway so she's probably holding that against him as well. That's not dumb, that's actually a pretty natural reaction.

You can see by the end of this episode that she lightens up on him because he was kidnapped and now she knows what it feels like to be on the other end. Personally I think it's a decent character progression.

You might have a point, and what you say makes SENSE on paper, but the execution part is what bothers me. They overdramatized it and take it to the point where it's ridiculous. I'm not saying can't be mad or disappointed, but comparing Harrison wells to Zoom who's a psychopath without any real regard for human life seems a bit pushing it though?

I might be bias too, because CW has a tendency to make things like this happen. Felicity and Thea are prime examples of this, and now every time something similar comes up my cut reaction is to dismiss it as bad writing because they have no idea how to properly convey something.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc-holiday said:
    @theacidskull said:

Pff, pathetic.

Agreed.

The odd thing is I think season 1 mentioned Iris having some experience in criminalistic psychology or something so there actually is something she could add to the team especially back when villains still had their own agendas instead of being just sent by Zoom for Zoom reasons.

Maybe but they're finding more and more reasons to shoe-horn in people.

What kind of bothers me the most is the fact a main super heroes job is to protect their identity and yet dozens upon dozens of people know who Green Arrow and Flash are, kind of defeats the point.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull said:

You might have a point, and what you say makes SENSE on paper, but the execution part is what bothers me. They overdramatized it and take it to the point where it's ridiculous. I'm not saying can't be mad or disappointed, but comparing Harrison wells to Zoom who's a psychopath without any real regard for human life seems a bit pushing it though?

I might be bias too, because CW has a tendency to make things like this happen. Felicity and Thea are prime examples of this, and now every time something similar comes up my cut reaction is to dismiss it as bad writing because they have no idea how to properly convey something.

Well you know, kids say the darndest things sometimes :p

CW is definitely heavy handed with the young adult style drama. They're not subtle about who they're target audience is. But so far I've found that Flash is a good enough and well rounded enough so I can overlook, and sometimes even enjoy, the silliness and the melodrama.

But with Arrow I could never get into it because there wasn't enough good to cancel out the bad. I liked the fight scenes but very little else. And it may have explored its secondary characters more but you end up with this insane tangle of plot lines and motivations. It just seems so convoluted to me.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By christianrapper

it's jay garrick. they practically gave it away. he was spelling his name in morse code in an episode. it's no big mystery.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

said:

Can't wait for Wally to some how get caught in the accelerator explosion....i mean thats totally going to happen, though idk if the show even has room for too full time speedsters in the story.

i bet those people who complain about the black wally west won't mind this. he has to be better than barry. wally won't give his speed to a sociopath and make him unstoppable.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.