gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

What better way to start off a new arc and new creative team on a book than with a big tease of what’s to come? The first page opens five years from now. We know, especially in the New 52, a lot can happen in five years. The tone is set in the opening pages and we see the struggle Flash faces with the responsibility resting upon his shoulders.

Jumping back to the present, we see Central City is a mess. The city has been ravaged by the Crime Syndicate and Gorilla Grodd and his army. This is something you don’t often see—repercussions on a city after a big event. We may not know exactly how FOREVER EVIL ends but we can assume the city’s been cleared out and saved. Now comes the time to clean up. This is something the police department has to deal with. Robert Venditti and Van Jensen continue the subtle touches of reality by making the members of the CCPD talk to a psychologist. For the average citizen or law enforcement, living in a world full of super-powered beings must be daunting. Having an entire city terrorized and held captive by talking killer gorillas can’t be the easiest thing to deal with. But rather than simply have everyone return to work and have the book ignore what just happened, we get to see there is a lot to deal with besides simply cleaning up the city.

Barry having to talk to a psychologist while being preoccupied makes an interesting scenario. We learn how the writers view Barry and also get to see what he’s capable of. As a result, we get some new developments that we should pay close attention to. Especially when it comes to how much time he actually spent talking to the psychologist.

But this isn’t an entire issue of Barry laying on a couch talking about what he’s going through. There is plenty of Flash-action. Brett Booth and Norm Rapmund show Barry zipping around all over the place, just as you’d want to see. Andrew Dalhouse adds to the art with his colors really showing off the effects of Barry using the Speed Force.

Of course Venditti and Jensen leave off with a pretty crazy cliffhanger that is bound to get people talking. There will be some fascinated readers and possibly some concerned ones. That’s what you want in a story, something to give you the urge to talk about what is going on rather than an empty feeling as you just move on to the next comic in your stack.

The Bad

Because the issue has to serve as an introduction to the new creative team, we don’t necessarily get a traditional FLASH comic. Flash doesn’t go up against any super villains but we do get to see some insight into the character. There are plenty of scenes with Flash using his powers but this is all clearly leading up to something much much bigger.

A minor distraction, for me, was the way Barry was dressed. He was wearing a tight vest over a buttoned down pink shirt with a tie. He looked a little too well dressed compared to how he usually dressed and considering the fact that the entire precinct is in a pretty big mess because of the attack against the city.

Wally West’s introduction will definitely get people talking. We are talking about the New 52 so there is always the possibility that characters can be re-invented. Of course it’s too easy to tell but long time Wally fans will likely be wondering how much of the old Wally we’ll have. The obvious changes aren’t really a concern. The question is, what will his back story and personality be?

The Verdict

The Flash is back after the events of FOREVER EVIL. New writers Robert Venditti and Van Jensen show the after effects of a city being overrun during a big comic book event. Things slow down a little to allow us to see more of who Barry Allen is while at the same time, Brett Booth and Norm Rapmund get plenty of high speed Flash scenes to draw. There are some subtle new developments that readers should pay close attention to. The big and overshadowing one will be the introduction of a long missing and familiar character into the New 52. Aside from the obvious change, we have a pretty crazy mystery on our hands that will definitely make you want to come back for more. As cliché as it may sound, run out to your local comic shop and pick this issue up.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Why they sell this before the end of Forever Evil itself? That's a question.

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New team has some big shoes to fill, especially art wise

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear: Forever Evil is late. Issue 6 came out March 5. Issue 7 is listed for May 21! They can't hold off on all their books while they wait.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Art-wise the title will never be as good, story-wise I am pretty sure the title will improve.

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
    feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still not sure if I can get past Booth's art :(

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
    knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@ptigrusmagus said:

Art-wise the title will never be as good, story-wise I am pretty sure the title will improve.

What so bad about Booth's art though?

Russcovito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Russcovito

Wally is kinda black no ? Makes me think of the upcoming CW's TV Show, you know cuz' Iris is also black. I am the only one to think this ? Even if there is no link AT ALL, it is something.. maybe.. I think... no ?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

@ptigrusmagus said:

What so bad about Booth's art though?

Everything seems like it is made from the same texture, the faces are too similar, his desings are too 90s, that's my main problems with it.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How fast is Flash? The guy ran around the city in less than a sec which is way to OP. I also don't like Wally's design..

Aside from that It was a good read but not great.

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
    feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rapmund's colors aren't helping either. Too dull.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Wally is kinda black no ? Makes me think of the upcoming CW's TV Show, you know cuz' Iris is also black. I am the only one to think this ? Even if there is no link AT ALL, it is something.. maybe.. I think... no ?

It just made me wonder what the point of this change was, and considering the considerable lack of variation on Justice League... why couldn't it have been Barry?

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have high hopes because the writing team is so good.

Nahuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks to this review I'm not going to drop this book. The story seems to be pretty good, so I'll check it out.

But the Art... Puaj!

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Yeah, I also don't really see the point in making the change. But I don't mind it either.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Is Wally black?

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

So Wally isn't even born yet?

InkInk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As soon as I saw Booth and the others doing all these interviews with papers I knew they where going to make Wally black. I have no issues with Wally being black or biracial, I'm hoping for the latter so he is like me but why is it when DC wants to be social justice warriors they have announce it to anyone that will listen? it hinders the character you are introducing because people will define him as the "black" character like they did with Allen Scott's sexuality and its is awful cheap why to hype up your book. This would of worked better if you had this be a surprise revel after we met the character and saw the heroic nature of him.

Seeing as to how bad Venditti's Green Lantern is I do not see this book going anywhere but down hill.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wally dies 5 years into the future, so he has been born. A version of Barry 20 years into the future comes back in time to change the past.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wally dies 5 years into the future, so he has been born. A version of Barry 20 years into the future comes back in time to change the past.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@captain13: Ah I was getting mixed up between the 5 and the 20

cobra88king8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

Wally isn't ginger anymore 0/10 they've already ruined it

Paul2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not worth getting? I hate Venditti's Green Lantern, not seeing many positives about The Flash either.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm all for diversification but I really don't see the point in changing an already established and fan loved character's race...are the writers really that bad at creating new characters that they have to change old characters to suit their needs?

UrbanChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

idk how i feel about the change to wally west initially i didnt like it right off the bat but now idk how i should feel tbh i just hope the character is still the same

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BR_Havoc

This was just weird, I really do not understand DC anymore. The way they change characters races like it has any impact on the way people or the media will view them. I mean there is a way of being progressive but this seems it was done more to get people talking then anything else.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He looks more hispanic than black, to be honest. I was more disappointed in the fact that he was revealed here and not in the annual :(

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He looks more hispanic than black, to be honest. I was more disappointed in the fact that he was revealed here and not in the annual :(

Red_Vibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Red_Vibe

Can somebody put up a scan of him? I want to see how he looks. Thanks

CrazyLegz26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CrazyLegz26

It just seems like a really lazy, attention grabbing, stunt. I don't see how this is an improvement, but by the same token at least Wally is back in the comics. I just hope the writers don't make a questionable change worse by altering the core personality of the character.

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Okay, so it's confirmed, here is my rant:

It's not sincere. Do you really think they have genuinely good feelings for this change? No. As a fan of Flash and more specifically, Wally West, I know how this works. The current management hates Wally West. Plain and simple. Since Didio came onto boards they did their best to take Wally away. First Bart Allen as Flash fiasco. Then the return of Wally West with horrifically editorial mandated run. Theeeen the Rebirth and you know the rest of history.
    a) Wally would get his own book: Didn't happen.
    b) Wally would play a huge part in Barry's new run: Didn't happen
    c) Most of Wally's part in Rebirth was either changed or cut
    d) Wally would kick a** in Flashpoint and play a huge part: He died in a pathetic way instead.
    e) Young Justice S2 Finale.
    f) Complete erasure of Wally West in nu52.
    g) Barry taking on ALL OF Wally's accomplishments, personality, suit and to a degree his side cast. Barry being the generator of SF retcon.
    h) Just...disappearing.

All of these, no matter which excuse you put, can't be done to a character that's favored by uppers. We all know that current management are no fans of Perez/Wolfman and Waid eras of DC.

Now let's look at which excuses were given to us for why Wally was erased:

a) He had a family with kids.
    b) Barry Allen needed spotlight and introduction of Wally West would cut away from Barry's life span. Booch & Manapul said it several times that: Fans would start counting down for the demise of Barry, we can't let that happen.

(All of these have sources btw, I can link.)

So what DC had as choice? Wally West has a VAST fanbase (arguably even bigger than Barry's but "arguably") and fans were constantly asking for Wally's return. There is a new show coming up so book has to shine and take in the fans that were taken away by the lack of Wally.

What to do? Make sure Wally never becomes "important" again. Make sure fans wouldn't "count down" for him taking over mantle while keeping them happy. Also taking away excuses "hey but we introduced Wally!".

This is a great way to do this. So clever like, I can't believe it. So great. If fans raise their tone they would be shut down by the cries of "racissssmmm!!". This also gives a great opportunity to test on everything new on him. Since he doesn't even look like himself (aka a random character with his name) they can do whatever they want with him! He is no longer binded by nostalgia!
    And when takes over from Didio, they can't reboot Wally to his ginger self again. That'd be racist! And since this version won't be as popular as the old Wally, he can never become Flash! And even if he becomes Flash, he can't run the show for 25 years like he did before! Because someone will come and say "hey he doesn't LOOK ICONIC enough" Great! No more Wally vs. Barry debates! It's done, Wally no longer exists! Barry wins! Forever and ever!

So you tell me that I should appreciate DC's love for diversity? The DC that whitewashed and wrote out Connor Hawke? The DC put Static Shock and Blue Beetle in to limbo? White washing Kyle Rayners father? HMM? They don't give a single frack about this. All of this is for stupid publicity, especially for TV show.

Should I start on "ghetto boy that needs the direction of *owowo* white knight. Hmm there was a TVTropes link about this, heh here: White Man's Burden: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...hiteMansBurden
    The fastest Man Alive looking Aryan and the second one being black? I can go on how offensive this is but my post is getting too long. The real risk is, you know, making BARRY black. THAT'S some representation HUH. Not the one DC constantly shohoerned and didn't care about.

All in all, this isn't sincere, this is offensive and I don't feel represented. If they wanted to do this, they should have brought in a new character.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, looks like I'm dropping Flash now. What a shame because I was really enjoying this title. But DC pulled a "DC" (that's what I call screwing up now) by completely changing Wally. I don't care that this is a reboot, that is NOT Wally. That is a new character using the legendary name of Wally to get a push. Completely ridiculous. I hate this. It's BS. Not sure who to blame. Dan Didio? He seems to be a cancer within DC. Maybe Venditti and Jansen are to blame since they ruined Green Lantern and already seem to possibly ruin Flash with this. Or Brett Booth since he's the artist. DC has truly fallen.

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
    knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...Didn't all they do though is change his skin color? I mean, he's technically bi-racial, considering Iris, his blood-related aunt, is white. I mean, is it the fact that the red hair's missing? If he suddenly was a red head would that make things better? I'm just saying that some people are kind of overreacting.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: Do you really think the writers or artist simply snuck in a change without anyone catching it?

I started reading right when Barry died in CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS. I've said many times that Wally was the Flash I knew until I started getting as many back issues as I could. This doesn't bother me, especially since it's WAY too early to make any judgement based on the teeny tiny appearance. I'd say wait until you see his personality before getting angry over changes.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@red_vibe: Why not buy the issue to see if you like the new creators? I'm assuming you are curious.

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#38  Edited By Trevel8182

@g_man:More then two years into the New 52 Tim John Blake still sucks and just from Tim Drake's original origin, he is much better well realized character then this imposter! The same can be said about a lot of the other characters like him that are only that character in name only. When Superman Unchained is finished I will no longer be pulling any DC titles. What good are these stories if characters have no identity and they can change drastically on an editorial whim? Miles Morales is how you accomplish diversity, not randomly turning Peter Parker into another race.

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By KnightofSteel

Ah yes the Flash I've been waiting for. This issue was a visual monster! Brett Booth is so the right guy for this book, as well Norm Rapmund's inks make it look even better. And Venditti & Jensen seem to have nailed the tone of the characters already.

Russcovito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Russcovito

@red_vibe

No Caption Provided

So here are the only two scans where Wally appear in this issue and Candice Patton who will play Iris in the show.

Jostudios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't like the direction DC Comics is taking with Wally West. Instead of ranting I decided to make my own Fan comic (webcomic) of Wally's final episode. I update every thursday and you can find it in www.journeystudiosonline.com :) Hope you like it. It is a 22 page comic book but I'm uploading a page every thursday. I think it will give some kind of closure to long time Wally fans.

I agree a 100% with Trevel8182

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

idk how i feel about the change to wally west initially i didnt like it right off the bat but now idk how i should feel tbh i just hope the character is still the same

I agree with this^. Unsure how to feel right now

Red_Vibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: I would really like to, but the problem is money. The arch-nemesis to any comic book fan.

Red_Vibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

...Didn't all they do though is change his skin color? I mean, he's technically bi-racial, considering Iris, his blood-related aunt, is white. I mean, is it the fact that the red hair's missing? If he suddenly was a red head would that make things better? I'm just saying that some people are kind of overreacting.

I'm unsure how I feel. But I wish regardless of wally's race that he still had the red/orange hair.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, you can't blame them...Wally's appearance was a bit unique, I mean how many ginger super-heroes you know? 3,4?
    Anyway, Wally is a very popular character that has build a huge fanbase around him that identifies with him. So it is only logical that people will over-react, since thwy suddently feel alienated. And especially with all these recent, changes in various heroes race or sexual orientation.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The artwork... Terrible. Just Terrible.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope this dead black kid in the first issue is not Wally. I mean, they never blatantly said anywhere in the issue that that was Wally. Even if they do reveal next issue that it is the new Wally, it still isn't the real Wally though. Just like most if not all of the character in New 52 Teen Titans aren't the real characters either. I mean Wally has red hair.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that I could really see this new character, Dr. Rebecca Janus being played by Castle's Penny Johnson-Jerald. But of course last time DC introduced a character named Janus, it was in Justice League: Generation Lost, and he turned out to be Maxwell Lord in disguise.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to re-read some of the old Mark Waid stuff, just to remind me of the real Wally West. Guess that makes me a racist *sigh*

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.