Follow

The Doctor

Character » The Doctor appears in 2191 issues.

A super-intelligent alien Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey, the Doctor travels throughout time and space, adventuring and righting wrongs with his/her companions.

New Season of Doctor Who

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Methos

Ok, time to address these rumors that the next season of Doctor Who is going to be Tennent's last...

firstly, yes, it's true...

David Tennent will be leaving Doctor Who after the 2009 'series'.,

i say 'season' in quotes because it's not really going to be a season, but rather several very long episodes very reminiscent of how Doctor Who used to be before it was reinvisioned for the 21st Century.

David Tennent says:

"Now don't make me cry," he added. "I love this part, and I love this show so much that if I don't take a deep breath and move on now I never will, and you'll be wheeling me out of the Tardis in my bath chair."

'I'll miss it'

Three years was "about the right time" to play the role, he told the BBC in an exclusive interview. "I think it's better to go when there's a chance that people might miss you, rather than to hang around and outstay your welcome," he said

So who will be the next Doctor?

Bets on next Doctor

• Paterson Joseph - 3-1 (pictured)
    • David Morrisey - 5-1
    • Tony Head - 6-1
    • John Simm - 8-1

The next Doctor Who episode to hit the screens will be the christmas special which will start the new season off with a bang.

This special will see the return of the Cybermen (of the design of the parallel universe's Cybus Industries Cybermen), following their previous appearance in the two-part finale of series two in 2006, "Army of Ghosts"/"Doomsday". It will feature a new type of Cybermen called Cybershade. An extended trailer premiered at Comic-Con International: San Diego 2008. This Comic-Con trailer was also unveiled on the official Doctor Who website on November 1, 2008.

Pre-broadcast publicity, based on excerpts from Davies' book Doctor Who: The Writer's Tale, revealed that the Doctor would meet a man played by David Morrissey who also claims to be the Doctor.

In further excerpts, Davies commented, "The best title for this episode would be The Two Doctors... but maybe not. The New Doctor, perhaps? Or The Next Doctor? I quite like The Next Doctor."

The book also contained two pictures from a scene cut from the end of the previous episode, intended to segue into the special echoing the previous two series. This scene will be included on the series boxset when released.

David Morrissey is the main guest star, playing a character called The Doctor, a man who believes himself to be a Time Lord. He is joined by Velile Tshabalala appears as "Rosita" Morrissey's 'Doctor' companion, and Dervla Kerwin who plays a pivotal role in the special as "Miss Hartigan".

Russell T Davies will write two of the specials, and co-write the others; one with Gareth Roberts, the other with Phil Ford. Davies and Roberts previously co-wrote the Sarah Jane Adventures episode "Invasion of the Bane". Ford has previously written episodes of Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures. This will be Ford's first Doctor Who script, making him one of few to have contributed to all three series. Julie Gardner will be replaced as executive producer (and Head of Drama at BBC Wales) by Piers Wenger.

So, that's a pretty bleak bit of news. Presumably, Torchwood will, uh, carry the torch in the meantime, and there's Sarah Jane Adventures knocking around as well. I suppose confirmation of a fifth series is a good thing.

I don't think a "gap year" is a good thing for the show, to be honest. It gives a lot of other properties a full year to grab that audience, and if they succeed and build momentum, they could overshadow Doctor Who. I know if I was in ITV, I'd be getting going around now on some kind of rival series.

Anyway, after all that, here's the trailer for the christmas show that everyone's been waiting for...

hope you all enjoy it as much as i did...

M
    Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Precise

I'm looking forward to it! Not to sure about the new doctor, but i'll hold my judgement until i see him in action.. he might surprise me :)

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Methos

i'm looking forward to it regardless...

it'll be good to see the real Cybermen again :D

as for the 'other' Doctor... this should be fun lol

M

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Methos

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord. The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5. Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas Special titled The Next Doctor this year.

David Tennant comments "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who. I have loved every day of it. It would be very easy to cling on to the TARDIS console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the TARDIS key out of my cold dead hand. This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009. I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git - whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me. Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies Executive Producer of Doctor Who comments "I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years - and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left! After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano. But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on the 25th December on BBC1.

for those brits amoungst us, you can find the trailer in HD on the usual BBC doctor who website...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho

M

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Meteorite

No! David Tennant's a good as Doctor!

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By King_Saturn
    I really liked David Tennant as The Doctor... but I wouldnt mine The Homie taking over the reigns as the Eleventh Doctor...

lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.