Follow

The Doctor

Character » The Doctor appears in 2191 issues.

A super-intelligent alien Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey, the Doctor travels throughout time and space, adventuring and righting wrongs with his/her companions.

Is the Doctor a superhero?

delijoe79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By delijoe79

Hardcore Doctor Who fans refuse to call the Doctor a superhero, but it's obvious... I always think of him as essentially the British Superman, and considering what they did in the new series (destroying his home planet), he's becoming even more like superman...

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

He sure is super.  And he id definitely a hero.  But he is not a superhero.  He doesn't fly or travel through time without means of gadgets or the TARDIS.  And he doesn't wear his underwear on the outside. 

But he is definitely super :)

Full_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Full_Spectrum

he can heal himself at will, and is over 900 years old. and he's got a sonic screwdriver. yep, he's a superhero.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Full_Spectrum said:
    "he can heal himself at will, and is over 900 years old."
    And he has two hearts, but that just proves that he's a Time Lord.  Besides, he can't 'heal himself'.  He regenerates his entire body instead of dying.
    delijoe79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By delijoe79
    @xerox-kitty:  

Actually he has superhuman healing abilities besides his ability to regenerate.  Also, is wearing tights somehow required to be a superhero?  And so what if he relies on gadgets, so does batman...
    Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

The Doctor is no mere super hero.................Hes a Lonely God!
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PrinceIMC

I don't think he's a superhero. He doesn't go around specifically looking to right wrongs and fight villains. He's just travelling and happens to find situations that need his help. He does inspire people to be heroes though.
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iLLituracy

He could be seen as such, but seeing as how he doesn't wear tights or really have a secret identity [unless you count his real name] then no.

Kamen Rider Kajiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@delijoe79 said:

" @xerox-kitty:     Actually he has superhuman healing abilities besides his ability to regenerate.  Also, is wearing tights somehow required to be a superhero?  And so what if he relies on gadgets, so does batman... "

His healing abilities are part of his regeneration ability so how is that any different from what Xerox said?. These so-called ''super powers'' you guys attribute to him is normal for his species which beats the purpose of it being super. This is the same reason why I refuse to say that Superman has Super powers because he isn't a human and every Kryptonian exposed to the yellow sun could get those powers.
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

He's more of an adventurer 

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Kamen Rider Kajiki: by that logic superman wouldn't be a super hero given that all his abilities are natural to all kryptonians under a yellow sun
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#12  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

He's cool, The Doctor's cool. And that's good enough for me :P

Avatar image for darth_brendroid
    darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By darth_brendroid
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir:
    Yeah, he's more of an adventurer. That's the key difference I think; his main objective in life is to pretty much travel the cosmos. If he finds evil there, he deals with it because it's the right thing to do. Superman on the other hand, and Batman, have made their main objectives to fight crime/evil/be lights for the human race. They set out to be heroes fighting for what's right, the Doctor just does that on the side.
    Kamen Rider Kajiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe said:
    " @Kamen Rider Kajiki: by that logic superman wouldn't be a super hero given that all his abilities are natural to all kryptonians under a yellow sun "
    If you consider Batman a Superhero and not just a vigilant, you could still consider Superman a Superhero too. Since he has a secret Identity and a costume.
    agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By agent9149

i think hes just a doctor

delijoe79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By delijoe79

Really what's the definition of a superhero anyway.... IMO, there's only 2...

You have to be SUPER... either have superhuman abilities or have access to tech or magic that gives you those abilities...
    You have to be a HERO... being actively involved in helping/saving innocent people...

The Doctor definitely qualifies in my book.  Just because he's a traveler doesn't make a difference.  He's probably saved the universe, the earth, and countless other planets more then Superman did.

darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By darth_brendroid
    @delijoe79:
    Wait. The Doctor has superhuman abilities, yes? Or at least tech that gives him those abilities? Could you please detail exactly what abilities you're thinking of, and as a matter of personal interest how exposed are you to the Doctor Who universe?
    darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By darth_brendroid

Also, a Google search offers these definitions: 

A superhero is a type of stock character possessing "extraordinary or superhuman powers" and dedicated to protecting the public. 
    Any kind of fantasy fiction crime-fighting character, often with supernatural powers or equipment 

The rest were for rock bands and movies and stuff. 
    delijoe79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By delijoe79

Do you really want me to list all of the Doctor's abilities? I've seen every episode since 1963 btw so my exposure to the universe is pretty darn good.... lets see... 

Ability to cheat death by regenerating body into a different form 
    rapid healing ability 
    ability to go long periods without breathing 
    superhuman intelligence 
    mastery of all aspects of time and temporal mechanics 
    mind control powers 

and thats just his innate abilities... his sonic screwdriver can: 

open any lock except wooden or deadlocked  
    remotely control or disrupt nearly any mechanical or electronic device 
    can be used as a sensor to pretty much detect anything 

The TARDIS can: 

Travel to any point in space and time 
    Tow whole planets across the universe 
    Travel to parallel universes 
    Nearly indestructible shielding 
    and countless other abilities as the plot requires.. 

The Doctor is actually more like a god then anything else... but regardless hes definitely a super hero

darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By darth_brendroid
    @delijoe79:
    Ability to cheat death; granted. 
    Rapid healing ability; is that really so much an ability or more a part of his biology? Same with the breathing thing. Superman's powers are ability's because he's able to do them under the yellow sun, therefore he is able to perform them. These seem more like how blood coagulates for humans; a normal process that just happens. 
    Uh, I'd probably put that down more to good IQ + coming from a highly advanced civilisation. 
    I wouldn't really say that, I'd say he's just got a good grasp of it. 
    Where did you get that? He's used hypnosis on occasion, which is something humans do, and he has limited telepathy but nothing beyond that. 

His sonic screwdriver does do that. My torch turns on and off. Does that make me a superhero; I can see in the dark? 

The TARDIS is a ship. A Time-Space ship that I presume would be capable of limited manipulation of the time and space around it (allowing it to enter and leave the Time Vortex), but a ship nonetheless. 

My verdict is that he's as much a superhero as Sherlock Holmes or Spock (however my exposure to Star Trek is far more limited than my exposure to Doctor Who).

Sources: Almost all extant Doctor Who episodes from 1963-2010, plus photonovel recreations of some lost Hartnell+Troughton episodes. Research into the history of the Doctor Who series both on screen and behind as well.
    Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Constantine
    @delijoe79 said:
    " @xerox-kitty:     Actually he has superhuman healing abilities besides his ability to regenerate.  "
    where did you get that from?
    Avatar image for lordoftimerings
    LordOfTimerings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Batman and Ironman are superheros. then so is the doctor. Cool gadgets, awesome transport, crazy costume, he even has an oath to go with his adopted name. Never cruel or cowardly

Never give up, never give in.

The_Imperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@delijoe79 said:

" @xerox-kitty: Actually he has superhuman healing abilities besides his ability to regenerate. "

where did you get that from?

In both the episodes Inferno and Planet of the Daleks, the Doctor went into a healing coma when the damage taken wasn't enough to be worth regenerating. He's also quite a bit more tough than a human, as evidence by punching a door down in the TV Movie, bending prison bars while as the Third Doctor, and falling a long way and hitting the ground during End of Time.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.